Matt Hughes Wins

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Irish480
    Hopefully Matt Hughes can go kick GSP's ass now again.
    GSP will win that fight. GSP was controlling the first fight until Hughes pulled off the slick arm bar. To me its weird how Hughes can be so dominant at times, and then look like sh*t at other times. BJ pretty much dominated him, then Charuto handled him pretty well(lost a split, prob should've won). Styles make fights, and Gracie's style does not match up well with Hughes( I actually thought Gracie had a good chance). When Hughes brings the A game it is tough to handle him. Judging by GSP/Hughes 1, and the progress GSP has made, I think Hughes may be in trouble. One thing Hughes has over all his opponents is strength, not with GSP. GSP is a huge and strong 170.

2. Quote Originally Posted by revodrew
    I heard that hughes popped for gear, any body know if there is any truth to this????
    Where did you hear that? Miletich Camp using juice!!!!!, no way.(being sarcastic)
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by revodrew
    I heard that hughes popped for gear, any body know if there is any truth to this????
    and where did you hear this little tale?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    GSP will win that fight. GSP was controlling the first fight until Hughes pulled off the slick arm bar. To me its weird how Hughes can be so dominant at times, and then look like sh*t at other times. BJ pretty much dominated him, then Charuto handled him pretty well(lost a split, prob should've won). Styles make fights, and Gracie's style does not match up well with Hughes( I actually thought Gracie had a good chance). When Hughes brings the A game it is tough to handle him. Judging by GSP/Hughes 1, and the progress GSP has made, I think Hughes may be in trouble. One thing Hughes has over all his opponents is strength, not with GSP. GSP is a huge and strong 170.
    I hope so, Ive always like GSP and his fighting style. He seems like a real nice guy in his interviews. Since his first meeting with Hughes, I think he's improved a ton, he freaking dismantled Trigg.

5. Yeah, I understand no one fights perfect every time out, but Hughes looked really bad against Penn and Charuto. GSP isn't always dominant, but he never has just not looked like himself. He did great against Penn, what composure. He got poked and/or blasted with some good shots, and was able to come back and control one of the best grapplers in the world on the ground for 2 rounds. Anyways, I think if Hughes brings his A game it will be a close call, but I really think if he comes in lackluster(a la Penn) GSP could potentially dominate him. I'm prepared for the flaming, and maybe dominate is a bit strong, more like control the whole fight.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    and where did you hear this little tale?

One of my buddys told me, that is why I am asking!!!!

7. Pardon my ignorance, but what does "pop for gear" mean? I understand the gear, but the pop?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    It's the suprising sound of Matt's wallet opening, he's a frugal countryboy, one might say cheap, usually the only thing he springs/pops for is the coffee part of a country breakfast.
    Yeah I suppose the gallant gracie and his 1.3 million dollar check is in no way frugal as opposed to the man who has been consistently fighting for years(Mr. Hughes).

9. On the topic of GSP, here is a highlight clip:
    http://www.subfighter.com/modules.ph...=Digital_Goods

10. I would like to see Rickson get manhandled, but people will just say "oh he's old now back in his prime it would be different". Its truely amazing that people think Rickson is one of the greatest MMA fighters ever, he fought absolutely nobody. His best win was against an old and injured Funaki. In the mid-late 90's he should've been fighting Saku, Bas, Kerr, Igor, somebody.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    Pardon my ignorance, but what does "pop for gear" mean? I understand the gear, but the pop?
    He meant to say "popped for gear", meaning busted or in trouble for using gear.

12. Right, its amazing how retarded people are. Most people I talk to truely believe that Bruce Lee could beat Fedor or any MMA guy. I try to reason with them(which is an obvious mistake) telling them Bruce Lee never had a real fight, weighs 140 pounds, didn't have the training technology, it goes in one ear and out the other. There rebuttal is "Yeah, but you never know, Bruce Lee was a bad ass". At this point, I begin pondering why I'm on this earth, and possibly leaving it. I'd like to apologize for semi starting a Rickson/Bruce Lee conversation.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    Pardon my ignorance, but what does "pop for gear" mean? I understand the gear, but the pop?

even if that had been what I had wrote, I am almost positive that if you thought about if for one second you could have come up with a logical explanation.

14. Quote Originally Posted by revodrew
    One of my buddys told me, that is why I am asking!!!!
    never heard of such an accusation but perhaps your buddy is 'in the know' or maybe he just thinks he is. if hughes had popped, it would be a little more known. JMO.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    Right, its amazing how retarded people are. Most people I talk to truely believe that Bruce Lee could beat Fedor or any MMA guy. I try to reason with them(which is an obvious mistake) telling them Bruce Lee never had a real fight, weighs 140 pounds, didn't have the training technology, it goes in one ear and out the other. There rebuttal is "Yeah, but you never know, Bruce Lee was a bad ass". At this point, I begin pondering why I'm on this earth, and possibly leaving it. I'd like to apologize for semi starting a Rickson/Bruce Lee conversation.
    :bruce3:

Rickson by armbar.

I think there's little question Rickson the best in the Gracie family, but he's still one-dimensional and therefore very vulnerable to today's fighters. It will be interesting to see him go against Sakuraba.

And I just don't see anybody beating Hughes right now. GSP has probably the best chance, but I still don't see it happening. Anybody that Hughes gets a hold of is basically done for.

Hell, he's so strong that he could pretty easily hold his own fighting at 170 vs. guys much heavier than him. I'd love to see him in an openweight ala Pride.

16. He would get destroyed in Pride, but if you meant open weight UFC then hell yeah. I'd love to see Hughes/Franklin, Hughes/Ortiz, even Hughes/Mir could be competetive. I realize it could never happen, but it would be great if it did.

17. See, I don't think he'd get destroyed in a Pride openweight. I think folks tend to harp on Pride a little too much. Sure, they've got some great fighters. And sure, he'd have a very tough time against someone like Fedor and a few other guys, but I think he would be very competitive overall.

Like I said, I'd love to see it.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone

I'm know I'm sounding like a serious Hughes nuthugger, but I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.
    Nuthugging is justified when your boy beats ass, ala Hughes.

19. Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    Pride Open weight, no, but much more competitive than the requisite Japaneses cans they put in.

Welterweight? Henderson_Hughes? I'd take Hughes. He could duck Henderson's punches like Arona did to Silva and shoot,I think he can trade a lot better than most currently realize and he's better on the ground with far better gas.

I'm know I'm sounding like a serious Hughes nuthugger, but I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.
    Oh, I gotta go with hendo on that one. Could go either way, it just seems hendo is a little better at everything then Hughes. Hughes has better ground n pound, but hendo is great at escaping. Could go either way I guess. Now on to Hughes being in Pride open weight, I just can't see who he could beat. Both Nogs, Fedor, Crocop, Barnett, Aleks, Kharitonov, Silva, Shogun, Werdum, it goes on and on, I just don't see him beating any of these guys. Hughes/Bustamante would be good.

20. I think Henderson takes Hughes and I think Henderson is a better wrestler and striker. Henderson was an Olympic Greco Roman wrestler. His striking is a bit unorthodox but it is effective.

21. Also, don't forget that Hughes walks around at about 190 and could easily be a middleweight. Against Henderdon, I don't know...neither are great strikers, but Henderdon does have KO power.

22. Oh, you meant to say got "popped", meaning busted?

23. Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    From what I can tell about Dan Henderson, he was the ****, probably still is, but he's coasting now in his weight class that's not as talented as the UFC Welterweight division of Hughes, GSP, Penn, Sherk,Riggs,Sanchez and Diaz.
    I love watching Henderson's fights. The only guy that has figured out how to submit the guy is Nogueira...and he did so twice. I'd like to see Henderson fight any of the guys mentioned above. And while I'm at it...for some reason I swear I remember recently hearing that Penn is going back down to Lightweight...anybody else hear this?

24. I would love to see Hughes fight Wanderlei Silva in Pride. Thoughts?

25. Wandy seems to have trouble with good takedowns so who the hell knows, I think Matt would have a fairly good chance.

I think Wandy tends to be slightly overrated. Shogun is better, IMO, but Wandy is probably still #2 in the world.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes @ UFC 123
    By Mjolnir in forum MMA
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 07:50 PM
  2. Win $250 in FREE supps!!
    By wardog in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2003, 12:06 PM
  3. Need your guys help to win a contest!
    By latinsteel in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2003, 02:18 PM
  4. Who would win in a fight????
    By hamper19 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-04-2002, 01:24 AM