Royce Gracie back in the UFC

drunk

Awards
Royce is back and going to fight Matt Hughs. I haven't bought a UFC PPV in a while, but this may be worth getting.

az2u

Awards
I haven't watched MMA on pay per view for several years but I will definitely watch this fight. Go Royce!

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
This is baaadd news for matt hughs.
Time for your spankin!

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
This is baaadd news for matt hughs.
Time for your spankin!
Royce is a great fighter but like stated by hughes himself, he just isnt where the UFC now is. If it goes to the ground then yes gracie has a good shot but stand up wise, not a chance. If I am not mistaken,Geis(sp?) are no longer allowed in the octagon? That is going to be something new for him to contend with also.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I predict an entertaining evening in the near future. :)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I predict Hughes would man handle Gracie. You never know though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Royce may not have fought recently, but he is a legend in MMA. Most of Matt Hughes wins are by submission so this fight will be extremely competitive.

tribal 1

Awards
Royce wouldnt have comeback if he was not in supieror shape and state of mind. But I must say Hughes is abeast in his own right. I predict a great fight instore.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
Hard one to call. I've been a big fan of the Gracie's since his dad was fighting. But Matt is a warrior. And on the ground is his specialty also. I'm sure this will be a fight to remember.

drunk

Awards
Royce is a great fighter but like stated by hughes himself, he just isnt where the UFC now is. If it goes to the ground then yes gracie has a good shot but stand up wise, not a chance. If I am not mistaken,Geis(sp?) are no longer allowed in the octagon? That is going to be something new for him to contend with also.
No Gi will not be a problem for Royce. Nobody wore a gi in the early UFCs except for Royce. So he is used to fighting peole without a gi.

I've never seen him have a problem taking someone to the ground either, except now they'll stand them back up if nothing is going on. My only concern is that Royce hasn't fought for a few years, but you know he'll be ready.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I love Royce and I think Matt is a great fighter, but something about this fight stinks like garbage.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
what PPV is this set for? i'm definately ordering the feb 4th for liddell vs. couture (again, lol).

delta314

Awards
  • Established
what PPV is this set for? i'm definately ordering the feb 4th for liddell vs. couture (again, lol).
I always was a fan of Randy's until he started doing the add for that stupid f*ckin necklace that gives you magic powers to lift the gym up in one hand:wtf:
Seriously, how could he humiliate himself by backing such a piece of **** product like that. I don't care how much money they paid.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
As TO would say, gotta "feed the family" right.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I always was a fan of Randy's until he started doing the add for that stupid f*ckin necklace that gives you magic powers to lift the gym up in one hand:wtf:
Seriously, how could he humiliate himself by backing such a piece of **** product like that. I don't care how much money they paid.
lol, haven't seen that ad. however, if someone is dumb enough to buy it, that's their problem.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
I don't think Royce will be able to handle Hughes. Hughes is too strong, and is a great wrestler. Royce was great in the early days of the UFC when nobody knew what grappling was.
Now he fights in K1, and Pride, usually against some fat sumo guy.
Of course he was dominated by Sakuraba...
I don't see him winning...

I also think Tim Sylvia's going to get knocked out by Arlovski. Sylvia looked slow on UFN 3, and Arlovski's too quick and powerful.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, this fight is interesting but I think Hughes will dominate him. He is much stronger Gracie, and I just don't see him losing this. Who has Gracie beat lately???

tribal 1

Awards
I also think Tim Sylvia's going to get knocked out by Arlovski. Sylvia looked slow on UFN 3, and Arlovski's too quick and powerful.

Arlovski will put a good asskickin to Sylvia,he did not impress me at all. Although being 6'8 has it advatages!!!!

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I see hughes picking up grace and slamming him skwar on his ass, rendering him dead. Hughes is just too strong for royce, and on top of his game, while royce is not.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
Of course he was dominated by Sakuraba...
I don't see him winning...
Thats not because he isn't good....its because they have such different styles....I have seen Sakuraba trashed in fights too.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
There are people in the Gracie family who have adapted to the newer style of MMA hopefully Royce has done the same. I really can't see him winning even if he does do that. Matt is one of the best if not the best fighter in the UFC. The last fight I saw Royce in was that shamrock fight.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Sakuraba has been trashed in alot of fights. But he has the perfect style to defeat the gracies. I think Hughes will ground and pound Gracie in a brutal fashion. You have to understand this whole style of fighting was designed to outmatch the gracie guard. When the wrestlers first came on the scene they started killing the bjj guys. Now everything has evolved and people train in all different styles. Royce is still mainly just a bjj guy, and I seriously think he will lose. Hughes is pretty well rounded in all facets of the game.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
Matt is definitely stronger and on top of his game right now. But with Gracie Ju Jitsu, a submission can come at any time. I think if Royce has prepared himself for such a tough apponent as Matt, this fight should be very exciting. On another note, Iceman is gonna kick Randy's butt. (if only for the fact that he is hawking those Fizogen straps!!!):hammer:

deebs

Awards
Looks like that will be in May. Probably want to milk that for all its worth!

http://www.ufc.tv/

The card for the Feb PPV looks sharp though, should be entertaining

:woohoo:

Vtaper

Awards
I'm still waiting to hear if any special "Gracie" rules will be added to this match, i.e. no time limits, restrictions on ground striking, and not making them stand up if it gets boring.
This was the only way Royce would agree to fight Yoshida(220lbs and damn good on the ground) and Yoshida agreed to the rules just to get a chance at a legend. Hughes, IMO, would also agree for the same reason, to legitamitly beat the man who made mma famous in the USA, and in same octagon he did it in. If it was under current ufc rules, I dont think Royce would do it.

blahblah192

Banned
Awards
this is for the title right? It's not just an exibition match.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Don't sugar coat it Rogue....tell us how you really feel :D

I think that the new rules are in Hughes' favor.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
I want to see Rickson fight a current "star".
Ive been out of this for a while.....he's been kinda inactive as far as competition goes hasn't he

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I want to see Rickson fight a current "star".
I kind of felt the same way when I heard about this fight. I would much rather see Rickson than Royce. No, what I really want to see is Rich and Matt say to hell with the camp BS and do their jobs as competitors and paid entertainers and fight eachother.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I kind of felt the same way when I heard about this fight. I would much rather see Rickson than Royce. No, what I really want to see is Rich and Matt say to hell with the camp BS and do their jobs as competitors and paid entertainers and fight eachother.
Now that would be a fight. I'd like to see that too.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
Rickson will never fight any of the top guys now...I don't even think he's fought anyone good in the last few years.
Was his last MMA Fight against Takada?!

Thats not because he isn't good....its because they have such different styles....I have seen Sakuraba trashed in fights too.
I think it's more that Royce never improved his standup. You can't be successful in MMA without knowing everything, standup (kickboxing), grappling (submissions, escapes). Renzo is more of a complete fighter than Royce.
Silva obviously has Sakuraba's number...also, I think Sak's prime is over. (he's still one of my favs though)

Very much looking forward to Penn/St. Pierre

esko71

Awards
What stinks about this fight is that it's another novelty match that further delays GSP and Penn getting a shot at the welterweight belt.

yup i'm pretty sure its due to the fact they made hughes one of their stars by putting him on the TUF 2 show and want to make sure he stays at the top at least for a while. thats why hes gonna prolly end up fighting riggs, royce, and karo (all guys they dont expect him to have much problem with) before fighting either of the two guys all the hardcore fans know theres a great chance of him losing to (gsp and penn). my prediction is hughes by decision over royce. hughes definitely isnt 100% submission proof though. hallman subbed him twice in like 20 seconds but i'll give it to hughes that was a while ago hes improved since. however other submission guys he's had trouble with recently charuto (i still think charuto beat hughes in that fight) and bj penn (where bj tapped hughes out in the first round). of course bj penn is a lot more well rounded then royce though and thats the difference maker.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I don't like it, but I agree with your analysis of the situation. UFC wants to keep well mannered and well spoken cleancut guys like Hughes, Franklin and Couture in front as long as possible. Same with Arlovski, handsome, buff and personable unlike Tim Heehaw Sylvia.

Closet business fag Dana White has probably been wishing someone would hug Arlovski's waist Like Sylvia's, pull down those knickers and reveal the Moscow Moon for all to appreciate.

Arlovski will mop the floor with Sylvia....I just don't see that being that great of a fight.

I want to see GSP AND BJ get a shot at Hughes.....I think that either one of them could beat Hughes and all of those fights will be good ones. At that level of competition, you just never know what will happen. They all possess the ability to win IMO.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I don't know Hughes had a lot of trouble with Verissimo's jiu-jitsu(should've lost the decision), and Royce has even better jiu-jitsu then Verissimo. Have you guys seen Royce vs. Yoshida 2? I mean Royce pretty much handled Yoshida(albeit Yoshida was not at his best) and he's a 220 pound Judo GOLD MEDALIST. Royce may get tossed around a bit, but I think he'll come out on top. Don't forget that Hughes' weakness is his sub defense, can anyone say Dennis Hallman.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Taken from UG Forum

Date: 01/18/06 12:02 AM
1024 Total Posts Ignore User

OK, lets put this to rest right now. You want to know my rationale for taking this fight. Because I like challanges, and this will be a challange. People on here sit around and talk a lot of sh*t, Akebono is a chump and anyone with a blue belt level can beat him, really - 320 over my weight, and I submitted him in 2min 13 sec, untill you have tryed that do not talk. The guys I beat in the UFC any blue belt can beat them, well next time you see Ken or Kimo or Dan Severn or Patt Smith, I suggest you bring that up to them, and hope you have your blue belt on, its not going to help you.
I like challanges, and this is a challange that is why I took the fight, I am taking a pay cut to fight this one, and also fighting under standard UFC rules, I can't even wear gi pants.

Royce
Damn, I am starting to like him more and more. The guys has got heart thats for sure.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
He must of spent alot of time mastering the ancient art of **** talking. However, he apparently missed the day they covered the sweet science of spelling.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
A guy from jiujitsugear.com copied it from MMA.tv.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't like it, but I agree with your analysis of the situation. UFC wants to keep well mannered and well spoken cleancut guys like Hughes, Franklin and Couture in front as long as possible. Same with Arlovski, handsome, buff and personable unlike Tim Heehaw Sylvia.

Closet business fag Dana White has probably been wishing someone would hug Arlovski's waist Like Sylvia's, pull down those knickers and reveal the Moscow Moon for all to appreciate.
I disagree. UFC has always like big smack-talking sluggers who put on exciting matches despite all the talk about bring the sport into mainstream.

Baroni and Riggs get plenty of chances at title shots while UFC did alot to keep the title away from Lindland and finally fired him. It might interest you to know that for a time UFC had problems with Couture who was kept out from 97-2000. And Randy had to walk thru some really tough guys to get to the top. Apparently one soft-spoken balding champ is more than enough.

Franklin and Arlovski are primarily strikers which is what UFC and SpikeTV prefers.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
No Gi will not be a problem for Royce. Nobody wore a gi in the early UFCs except for Royce. So he is used to fighting peole without a gi.

I've never seen him have a problem taking someone to the ground either, except now they'll stand them back up if nothing is going on. My only concern is that Royce hasn't fought for a few years, but you know he'll be ready.
Royce is past his prime for sure. He got dominated and would've lost a fairly close decision against a 145 featherweight Tokoro 3 weeks ago at K-1 bye. Tokoro had barely 1 week notice to replace Aikiyama who was supposed to fight Royce. Luckily Royce had special rules (no judges) and a 30lb weight advantage so the fight was a automatic draw.

On the other hand Hughes has had alot of trouble with subs.

Sure Royce had no problems taking people down in the old days of UFC when there were tons of really clueless 'fighters'. Royce started the myth that being on the bottom is actually advantageous.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I have not seen the Tokoro fight yet, but if you say he got dominated I guess he did. I guess it depends which Royce shows up, If its the Royce that dominated Yoshida, then it should be a great fight. Does anyone think Hughes is gonna keep it standing? I think they'll tie up, it'll go to the ground(hughes on top obviously) and stay their. Should be a great fight. Not necessarily judging by this fight, but the UFC seems to be stepping it up again. I can't wait for GSP vs Penn. I'd really like to see BJ get punished.

tiqdude808

Awards
striking - hughes
wrestling - hughes
submissions - royce
strength - hughes
cardio - ??
takedowns - hughes

on paper, hughes should win this fight, but you never know. he has had problems with jiu-jitsu fighters in the past. but bj and charuto are better jiu-jitsu artists than royce especially bj.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
striking - hughes
wrestling - hughes
submissions - royce
strength - hughes
cardio - ??
takedowns - hughes

on paper, hughes should win this fight, but you never know. he has had problems with jiu-jitsu fighters in the past. but bj and charuto are better jiu-jitsu artists than royce especially bj.
Im thinking opposite

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
VolcomX311 MMA 0
VolcomX311 MMA 1
VolcomX311 MMA 39
VolcomX311 MMA 3
MMA 7