Royce Gracie back in the UFC

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Let the games begin :D Maybe we could have a board sponsored thread on who will win and at what time the match will end. Maybe the clown can set up a prize for this contest in the contest section . Something like "can you guess the winner, round, and final time....the winner gets an AM shirt".....I don't know.....I just pounded some coffee and had to type something...:type: :type: :type:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
striking - hughes
wrestling - hughes
submissions - royce
strength - hughes
cardio - ??
takedowns - hughes

on paper, hughes should win this fight, but you never know. he has had problems with jiu-jitsu fighters in the past. but bj and charuto are better jiu-jitsu artists than royce especially bj.
Oh your crazy. No way Charuto and BJ are better jiu-jitsu players then Royce. They are both really good MMA fighters, and have better stand-up and takedowns then Royce, but Royce's jiu-jitsu is top notch. I hate to harp on the Yoshida match, but it proves a lot. You really think Charuto or BJ could've handled Yoshida like that. Did you watch BJ vs. Renzo? Renzo has just as good jiu-jitsu as BJ, and Royce's jiu-jitsu is much better then Renzo's. Besides BJ's wins over Hughes(would'nt happen again) and Gomi(would love to see that rematch) he has'nt showed me much. I mean 150 pound lil evil whooped on him. Wow, I'm done hating on BJ, can't wait for GSP to destroy him.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I feel Royce is going have alot of trouble with Hughes and he is way past his prime. Royce is probably going to try to pull guard and buttflop which isn't going to help him with the judges.

tiqdude808

Awards
Oh your crazy. No way Charuto and BJ are better jiu-jitsu players then Royce. They are both really good MMA fighters, and have better stand-up and takedowns then Royce, but Royce's jiu-jitsu is top notch. I hate to harp on the Yoshida match, but it proves a lot. You really think Charuto or BJ could've handled Yoshida like that. Did you watch BJ vs. Renzo? Renzo has just as good jiu-jitsu as BJ, and Royce's jiu-jitsu is much better then Renzo's. Besides BJ's wins over Hughes(would'nt happen again) and Gomi(would love to see that rematch) he has'nt showed me much. I mean 150 pound lil evil whooped on him. Wow, I'm done hating on BJ, can't wait for GSP to destroy him.
good argument, but my main point is that Hughes brings more to the table than Royce and I think Hughes will be able to nullify his jiu-jitsu skills because Hughes is superior in all other aspects of the game. I see Hughes controlling this fight.

manfreakca

Awards
hughs is to strong for this cat,should be over quick:hammer:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Hughes is too strong for anyone at 170, hell probably at 185 too, but he has 4 losses.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
good argument, but my main point is that Hughes brings more to the table than Royce and I think Hughes will be able to nullify his jiu-jitsu skills because Hughes is superior in all other aspects of the game. I see Hughes controlling this fight.
You're probably right about him controlling the fight, but there is a decent chance that during that ground control Royce could slip a sub in.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
You're probably right about him controlling the fight, but there is a decent chance that during that ground control Royce could slip a sub in.

Only if they don't stand them up too fast....the new rules are definitely in Hughes' favor.

tiqdude808

Awards

Yup. If Hughes isnt careful he could end up tapping. Hopefully he improved since getting choked out by BJ and winning a very close (imo controversial) decision against Charuto. But Matt is Champ for a reason and has prolly improved his sub-defense. Wouldnt it be funny if Matt taps Royce? I mean like if Royce gets caught in a choke and goes to sleep. Royce would never tap, anyone who seen him fight and knows what he is about, knows that he rather die than tap. Unlikely that he will be in that kind of situation though.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
One thing I learned about Royce watching him in the early days of the UFC: never underestimate him. He's always got a chance.

Matt Hughes is incredibly strong, much stronger than Royce, but Royce is the master technician. It's going to be strength versus technique. Matt will probably try to overpower Royce, and Royce, in turn, will probably bide his time and wait for Matt to make a mistake.

If Royce can counter Matt's strength, it'll go his way. If not, Matt is going to take it.

PH3

Awards
Hughes Should Stick To His Ground And Pound Game,, If He Tries To Work Something Else On The Ground He Will Be Tapping

papa G

Awards
Even though Royce is outmatched in strength and age,don't ever count out a bjj black belt. I have been training bjj and mma for the past 5 years. I am pretty decent at bjj and weigh a pretty lean 220. I have also had my ass handed to me by really experienced bjj guys that weigh 160. At other times I have tapped out state champ level wrestlers pretty quickly. I myself have trained with some brazilian black belts and I can tell you that they don't believe in giving up or tapping out. I do believe that gracie would need to keep it on the ground if he wants a chance. But then again you would think by now that the gracies would invest some more time training standup. I myself see alot of local fighters that have better all around skill than anyone from 5 years ago. All mixed martial artists are vulnerable in one aspect of their game. Even though hughes is a better "all around" fighter he may be very vulnerable to Royces level of bjj. About all mma fighters know bjj and how to defend against most of the basic techniques but Royce is on a different level than your typical "cross trained" mma fighter. But then again Matt Hughes wrestling is on a different level than most "cross trained" fighters. In my experience I would much rather fight a strong wrestler than a skinny bjj world class black belt (they are just too squirmy and full of tricks). Well guys i have definately ranted more than normal JMO.. Peace.

chemicaldreamer

Awards
I would love to see Royce Gracie fight Sakuraba again.

PH3

Awards
Hughes Got Lucky Against Newton,, He Was Passing Out Already,, But Newton Wasnt Ready For The Drop,,

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Royce is doing very little, if any, training in other areas.

I can definitely see him coming into this fight with the mindset "I dominated with pure BJJ back in the day and I can do it again now." In other words, he may to try to prove the "superiority" of the art his family developed.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Royce is doing very little, if any, training in other areas.

I can definitely see him coming into this fight with the mindset "I dominated with pure BJJ back in the day and I can do it again now." In other words, he may to try to prove the "superiority" of the art his family developed.
Absolutely not. Royce was an MMA competitor from the beginning. I don't recall Royce being really great at pure BJJ. Wallid proved that he was better when he choked Royce unconcious.

PH3

Awards
Wallis shoked Royce unconcious,, i wonder if he would have the guts to call out Rickson to a bjj match,, haha

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Matt Hughes has always proved everyone wrong. He comes into every fight ready. However this time he will have his hands full. My best friend trained with Royce a year ago and he said the guy hasnt lost a step. He sparred with him after training and he said the guy kicked everyones ass. So this fight should go the distance

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
I see hughes picking up grace and slamming him skwar on his ass, rendering him dead. Hughes is just too strong for royce, and on top of his game, while royce is not.
Big Bump to that Jarhead... Hughes is in his prime right now, Royce is a legend and his skills are without a doubt the best, but I don't think that he will be able to keep up with Hughes at all. The sport has changed a lot and I think that Hughes will be in control of the fight. I can definitly seeing it end by Hughes slamming him then submitting him. I just don't think that Royce can get into this fight as much as Hughes will be. Just my opinion though..cuz all it takes is a quick shot out of no where = ]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
VolcomX311 MMA 0
VolcomX311 MMA 1
VolcomX311 MMA 39
VolcomX311 MMA 3
MMA 7