Effectiveness Of Krav Maga

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Effectiveness Of Krav Maga

There is a studio opening up right near my house and I am curious if anyone has any experience with KM?

I'm not asking if this is the "best" because I know there is no best martial art or self defense system and that will be argued to the end of time. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it and how they felt about its approach to real life defensive maneuvers.

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

It's total crap. You can't have a true self defense system without having full contact days. The American version is completely watered down and is akin to cardio kickboxing.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It's total crap. You can't have a true self defense system without having full contact days. The American version is completely watered down and is akin to cardio kickboxing.
    Yeah I have a feeling that's how this place is going to be. I have been to a lot of different studios for different art forms and most were the same watered down garbage.

Most of them have become pure business's, nothing wrong with running your practice as a business, but to move people along the ranks, not care about the progress of your students, and to only be concerned with their monthly checks is disheartening.

I typically stay away from chain type studios but this place only has two locations so I figured they may be a little more sincere in their teachings.

KM is difficult because unlike your standard karate dojo who teaches respect, discipline, various forms and katas, has full contact sparring with a points system. KM approach is just a straight forward approach to the most direct way of defending yourself by learning to kill or seriously injure your opponent.

I do agree with you, you can't really have true self defense without having full contact but you can't really go full contact on groin strikes, throat strikes, and eye gouging.
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SheddingSkin View Post
    Yeah I have a feeling that's how this place is going to be. I have been to a lot of different studios for different art forms and most were the same watered down garbage. Most of them have become pure business's, nothing wrong with running your practice as a business, but to move people along the ranks, not care about the progress of your students, and to only be concerned with their monthly checks is disheartening. I typically stay away from chain type studios but this place only has two locations so I figured they may be a little more sincere in their teachings. KM is difficult because unlike your standard karate dojo who teaches respect, discipline, various forms and katas, has full contact sparring with a points system. KM approach is just a straight forward approach to the most direct way of defending yourself by learning to kill or seriously injure your opponent. I do agree with you, you can't really have true self defense without having full contact but you can't really go full contact on groin strikes, throat strikes, and eye gouging.
    I know what KM is and it's principles, but you still need to know what it feels like to be hit hard as it changes everything. Even the transition from a 16oz glove to a 4-6 oz glove is a different world.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I know what KM is and it's principles, but you still need to know what it feels like to be hit hard as it changes everything. Even the transition from a 16oz glove to a 4-6 oz glove is a different world.
    Haha sorry I didn't mean to come off as if you're not aware of what KM is. I agree, it's one thing to practice your maneuvers over and over until you can do them in your sleep but it's a whole different ball game taking punches to the face and body.

I can see how the theory behind KM works but what some people don't understand is that this fighting form was created for Israeli commandos who were already tough, aggressive, and physically fit.

You take an average joe and think he's going to take down any opponent with a knee to the stomach and a few hammer fists to the back of the head, then they are in for a rude awakening.

I stand by the philosophy of taking what your learn from all art forms and using what works best for you or what will help you out best in that particular fight.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I enjoyed it when I tried it - at the time, I found Aikido involved too much thinking to be useful in a reasonable amount of time, and krav employed a lot of similar stuff but with less thinking... more like brawling than art, which suited me. I didn't go to a "studio," though - I trained with bodyguards in a park.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

I'm surprised at the answers in here. I took Krav Maga several years ago and we could quickly move into a level 2, which was light sparring and incorporated flow drills with slow movement to teach those that never sparred how to control it. Once that was established, you could move into level 3.

I enjoyed it and had full contact sparring almost every class. It opened my eyes to what was possible and gave me a better sense of physical confrontation confidence.

That was about 5 years ago and after about a year, I wanted to get into more striking. I started Muay Thai and have been doing that every since with some BJJ sprinkled in. I train 90min 2x week and it is the most ass kicking workout ever. I'd recommend a kickboxing or muay thai class anyday.

As far as effectiveness- I wouldn't want to mess with me. LOL, But then again, I have no way of knowing because I would avoid a street fight with all my being. People are crazy and I'd rather just avoid situations like that.
    Black Lion Research Representative
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks for the reply Kisaj, so would you say Krav Maga was worth taking or would I be better suited to find a decent Muay Thai school?
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

I really liked it and it would depend on your interests. I did it because I used to box and knew how to defend myself, but the interest in using my body as a weapon if needed and the art of stopping an attack fast was intriguing. I gathered a ton of knowledge, but muay thai always interested me with the knees and kicks. Plus, we knew we wanted to get my daughter into a martial art so I started looking for a studio we could both learn in.

About to be a long story short:
    krav maga is very functional and probably the most efficient self defense you can do. Muay thai is more traditional and very much focused on fitness as much as attack/counter. You can't really go wrong with either.
    Black Lion Research Representative
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Biological Effects of AAS
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 06:51 PM
  2. effects of 19-nor
    By q-tip in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 06:24 PM
  3. after effects of aas and PH