Effectiveness Of Krav Maga

  1. Effectiveness Of Krav Maga


    There is a studio opening up right near my house and I am curious if anyone has any experience with KM?

    I'm not asking if this is the "best" because I know there is no best martial art or self defense system and that will be argued to the end of time. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it and how they felt about its approach to real life defensive maneuvers.


  2. It's total crap. You can't have a true self defense system without having full contact days. The American version is completely watered down and is akin to cardio kickboxing.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It's total crap. You can't have a true self defense system without having full contact days. The American version is completely watered down and is akin to cardio kickboxing.
    Yeah I have a feeling that's how this place is going to be. I have been to a lot of different studios for different art forms and most were the same watered down garbage.

    Most of them have become pure business's, nothing wrong with running your practice as a business, but to move people along the ranks, not care about the progress of your students, and to only be concerned with their monthly checks is disheartening.

    I typically stay away from chain type studios but this place only has two locations so I figured they may be a little more sincere in their teachings.

    KM is difficult because unlike your standard karate dojo who teaches respect, discipline, various forms and katas, has full contact sparring with a points system. KM approach is just a straight forward approach to the most direct way of defending yourself by learning to kill or seriously injure your opponent.

    I do agree with you, you can't really have true self defense without having full contact but you can't really go full contact on groin strikes, throat strikes, and eye gouging.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by SheddingSkin View Post
    Yeah I have a feeling that's how this place is going to be. I have been to a lot of different studios for different art forms and most were the same watered down garbage. Most of them have become pure business's, nothing wrong with running your practice as a business, but to move people along the ranks, not care about the progress of your students, and to only be concerned with their monthly checks is disheartening. I typically stay away from chain type studios but this place only has two locations so I figured they may be a little more sincere in their teachings. KM is difficult because unlike your standard karate dojo who teaches respect, discipline, various forms and katas, has full contact sparring with a points system. KM approach is just a straight forward approach to the most direct way of defending yourself by learning to kill or seriously injure your opponent. I do agree with you, you can't really have true self defense without having full contact but you can't really go full contact on groin strikes, throat strikes, and eye gouging.
    I know what KM is and it's principles, but you still need to know what it feels like to be hit hard as it changes everything. Even the transition from a 16oz glove to a 4-6 oz glove is a different world.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  5. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I know what KM is and it's principles, but you still need to know what it feels like to be hit hard as it changes everything. Even the transition from a 16oz glove to a 4-6 oz glove is a different world.
    Haha sorry I didn't mean to come off as if you're not aware of what KM is. I agree, it's one thing to practice your maneuvers over and over until you can do them in your sleep but it's a whole different ball game taking punches to the face and body.

    I can see how the theory behind KM works but what some people don't understand is that this fighting form was created for Israeli commandos who were already tough, aggressive, and physically fit.

    You take an average joe and think he's going to take down any opponent with a knee to the stomach and a few hammer fists to the back of the head, then they are in for a rude awakening.

    I stand by the philosophy of taking what your learn from all art forms and using what works best for you or what will help you out best in that particular fight.
    •   
       


  6. I enjoyed it when I tried it - at the time, I found Aikido involved too much thinking to be useful in a reasonable amount of time, and krav employed a lot of similar stuff but with less thinking... more like brawling than art, which suited me. I didn't go to a "studio," though - I trained with bodyguards in a park.

  7. I'm surprised at the answers in here. I took Krav Maga several years ago and we could quickly move into a level 2, which was light sparring and incorporated flow drills with slow movement to teach those that never sparred how to control it. Once that was established, you could move into level 3.

    I enjoyed it and had full contact sparring almost every class. It opened my eyes to what was possible and gave me a better sense of physical confrontation confidence.

    That was about 5 years ago and after about a year, I wanted to get into more striking. I started Muay Thai and have been doing that every since with some BJJ sprinkled in. I train 90min 2x week and it is the most ass kicking workout ever. I'd recommend a kickboxing or muay thai class anyday.

    As far as effectiveness- I wouldn't want to mess with me. LOL, But then again, I have no way of knowing because I would avoid a street fight with all my being. People are crazy and I'd rather just avoid situations like that.

  8. Thanks for the reply Kisaj, so would you say Krav Maga was worth taking or would I be better suited to find a decent Muay Thai school?

  9. I really liked it and it would depend on your interests. I did it because I used to box and knew how to defend myself, but the interest in using my body as a weapon if needed and the art of stopping an attack fast was intriguing. I gathered a ton of knowledge, but muay thai always interested me with the knees and kicks. Plus, we knew we wanted to get my daughter into a martial art so I started looking for a studio we could both learn in.

    About to be a long story short:
    krav maga is very functional and probably the most efficient self defense you can do. Muay thai is more traditional and very much focused on fitness as much as attack/counter. You can't really go wrong with either.

  10. I would love to train KM another art to look into is San Soo Kung Fu or Praying Mantis....both Brutal straight to the point. Personally I think everyone should have a ground game. I started with wrestling actually wrestled with Muhammad Lawall in high school (King Mo). From there TKD, BJJ, Hapkido. You are right you need to be smacked around and tossed around to react properly. I am not so sure I would count KM out. In my opinion it's all about the trainer. Most people think Aikido is not a good combat sport....you would change your mind if you where training with Steven Segal. I would go check out that school see about a one week trial. What other options do you have in your area?

  11. Ya take look at San Soo in practice.....makes my balls hurt watching.....http://youtu.be/TskDuQcb7wI

  12. Quote Originally Posted by CpenDoc7 View Post
    I would love to train KM another art to look into is San Soo Kung Fu or Praying Mantis....both Brutal straight to the point. Personally I think everyone should have a ground game. I started with wrestling actually wrestled with Muhammad Lawall in high school (King Mo). From there TKD, BJJ, Hapkido. You are right you need to be smacked around and tossed around to react properly. I am not so sure I would count KM out. In my opinion it's all about the trainer. Most people think Aikido is not a good combat sport....you would change your mind if you where training with Steven Segal. I would go check out that school see about a one week trial. What other options do you have in your area?
    Man, that is cool being involved with King Mo.

    Agree about needing to train at real speed to know what to do. It changes everything.

  13. I wrestled with mo in high school. Even then he had a BJJ background. He was and still is just real nice guy in real life he's pretty soft spoken. The wrestling take downs are very important, of coarse there is a lot of good stuff to learn. I like all of the martial arts mentioned here. I am gravitating more towards different styles now. I happen to have a San Soo instructed around my neck of the woods. I like MMA just after having two screws in my ankle this year I'm not wanting to have people torque on it regularly. So San Soo will be my next study....brutal stuff if you get a chance check it out its in the same general ballpark as Krav Maga.

  14. I've just started a 2 yr defense and tactical weapons training to work towards a certification. I'll be dropping the muay thai/kickboxing to concentrate on this, but thanks for the info for research purposes.

  15. Sounds pretty high speed...I'm sure your loving it. I am a little jealous...����

  16. TKD AND BJJ ... krav maga is more for show. I have a little experience from my father. Sambo and BJJ are where its at for me .
    The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting -Sun Tzu-
    The quieter you become , the more you are able to hear -Lao Tzu-
    IDL REP HMU for codes

  17. Bro, with all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about.

  18. +for SAMBO. Really a type of MMA brought to you by the Soviet Red Army.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    Bro, with all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about.
    I think you misread MY post bro. I was only stating that sambo and bjj are what i like . Krav maga is good i wasnt doubting it . Its a very complete self defense system. Unrivaled in mainstream.
    The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting -Sun Tzu-
    The quieter you become , the more you are able to hear -Lao Tzu-
    IDL REP HMU for codes

  20. Quote Originally Posted by StatePlan1425 View Post
    +for SAMBO. Really a type of MMA brought to you by the Soviet Red Army.
    Im half Russian. That is why I like sambo .
    The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting -Sun Tzu-
    The quieter you become , the more you are able to hear -Lao Tzu-
    IDL REP HMU for codes

  21. Quote Originally Posted by bighulksmash View Post
    I think you misread MY post bro. I was only stating that sambo and bjj are what i like . Krav maga is good i wasnt doubting it . Its a very complete self defense system. Unrivaled in mainstream.
    I did misread your post. My humble apologies.

    Although, as Hungarian and you Russian, I see why there was almost a disagreement. Lol!

  22. My cousin learned it in the army its not for sport easiest way to kill someone in hand to hand combat

  23. Krav Maga is a complete fighting system and truly applicable in real life, IMHO.
    I wish this sport was around when I was young.
    I wasted my youth on Shotokan karate for 14 years and Judo for 3. I found, Karate is only partially useful in RL, but mostly bullshyt. Judo helped me in two occasions to win a fight.

  24. i saw this on , dam it , i cant remember the name of the show- think on the history channel, 2 guys learn a new form and at the end of the show, they use that form in a competition.

    shyt aint no joke

  25. Quote Originally Posted by hairygrandpa View Post
    Krav Maga is a complete fighting system and truly applicable in real life, IMHO.
    I wish this sport was around when I was young.
    I wasted my youth on Shotokan karate for 14 years and Judo for 3. I found, Karate is only partially useful in RL, but mostly bullshyt. Judo helped me in two occasions to win a fight.
    Definitely agree . My jujitsu skills against a friend who trained krav maga were useless. He flipped me and dipped me lol
    The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting -Sun Tzu-
    The quieter you become , the more you are able to hear -Lao Tzu-
    IDL REP HMU for codes

  26. Quote Originally Posted by smith_69 View Post
    i saw this on , dam it , i cant remember the name of the show- think on the history channel, 2 guys learn a new form and at the end of the show, they use that form in a competition.

    shyt aint no joke
    Yes that is human weapon !!!!
    The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting -Sun Tzu-
    The quieter you become , the more you are able to hear -Lao Tzu-
    IDL REP HMU for codes

  27. Quote Originally Posted by SheddingSkin View Post
    Haha sorry I didn't mean to come off as if you're not aware of what KM is. I agree, it's one thing to practice your maneuvers over and over until you can do them in your sleep but it's a whole different ball game taking punches to the face and body.

    I can see how the theory behind KM works but what some people don't understand is that this fighting form was created for Israeli commandos who were already tough, aggressive, and physically fit.

    You take an average joe and think he's going to take down any opponent with a knee to the stomach and a few hammer fists to the back of the head, then they are in for a rude awakening.

    I stand by the philosophy of taking what your learn from all art forms and using what works best for you or what will help you out best in that particular fight.
    And unfortunately the average Joe is going to be in for a reeeeeally rude awakening. When I took Okinawan Karate, the first test to move from white belt to first level was facing off with a black belt for one whole minute with just 1/2" pads on the knuckles. Sounds easy, but I was on the floor within the first 10 seconds and the clock was stopped every time I went down. And the black belt was taking it easy on me. After he kicked me and split my forearm open, I stepped into his next kick, grabbed him by his GI and threw him over my shoulder like a rag doll. Later my sensei told me that the purpose of that is to get people to react in the face of an overwhelming opponent and pain, rather than getting treated like a punching bag. He also said that most people do not react. In fact in my case he was about to call a stop because I kept getting up but I was just taking a beating. There is no honor or pride in taking a beating without fighting back. Taking down a black belt, even though he was going very easy on me, changed my whole way of thinking and my confidence. I can tell you though, that was the most terrifying single minute of my life.

    The thing is that even if we are physically trained to fight, we are not mentally ready. Martial arts are, as the name says, about fighting, breaking, maiming, and killing if necessary. Most unarmed forms of combat were designed to keep you alive long enough to get your hands on a weapon. Also the whole thing about discipline, respect, etc is just a bunch of crap. The true philosophy behind a fight is make short and sweet, and once you start don't stop until your opponent can no longer get up. We don't have the mental training to do that.
    There was a story about this girl in California that used to go running on a dirt track in the hills behind her home. One day this rapist guy that was on the run from the police happened to be hiding out there and he saw her run by. So kind of jogged after her and when she turned to head back home he grabbed her as she ran past him. She was a black belt and had won competitions. She proceeded to give him the beating of his life. He begged her to stop, so she did. The moment she stopped he made another grab for her, so she went back to beating him. Then he begged her to stop again, that he just wanted to take her money because he hadn't eaten in days, and that he was sorry. So she stopped, pulled a note from her purse and handed it to her. As he very reached to take the note, saying how sorry he was, he grabbed her wrist and overpowered her. He ended up keeping her died to a tree in the woods and raping her for three days and then killed her with a stone to the head. This was someone who was physically capable and well trained, but not mentally prepared.
  28. Effectiveness Of Krav Maga


    One important thing to remember is that in a real life situation you will more than likely have to square off against an attacker that has a weapon. Unless it's a bar fight you won't get attacked by someone without a weapon. KM focuses on disarming and severely neutralizing an attacker. For self defense it is outstanding for protecting against real world scenarios. For example getting attacked by someone with a knife or a gun. Nothing like deboning someone's trigger finger...
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Biological Effects of AAS
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 07:51 PM
  2. effects of 19-nor
    By q-tip in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 07:24 PM
  3. after effects of aas and PH
    By ironviking in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 05:55 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-23-2002, 11:13 AM
  5. effects of heat on T1pro?
    By hamper19 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2002, 09:21 PM
Log in
Log in