MMA NEWS

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    The thing that sucks that Hendo's win wouldn't get the merit it deserves bc people would just call him a cheater, too.
    Oh, cause the whole TRT thing. I don't know how much people really care about the TRT thing as much as it was people who disliked Sonnen found a facet to crucify him with. Chael is still called a cheater to this day about TRT usage, yet you'd be hard pressed to find hate threads on Hendo being on TRT.
    NSCA - CSCS

2. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Oh, cause the whole TRT thing. I don't know how much people really care about the TRT thing as much as it was people who disliked Sonnen found a facet to crucify him with. Chael is still called a cheater to this day about TRT usage, yet you'd be hard pressed to find hate threads on Hendo being on TRT.
    Or Couture. I think part of it is that people really are idiots when it comes to PEDs and all they see is testosterone and label him a cheat.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Or Couture. I think part of it is that people really are idiots when it comes to PEDs and all they see is testosterone and label him a cheat.
    MMA forums are the most aggressively ignorant on the matter.
    NSCA - CSCS
  4. Cesar Gracie Makes Formal Offer To Unite Team Penn & Team Gracie Into One

ďI was reminded by something that happened many, many years ago. I think BJ was
    probably about 17 at the time, we were at a tournament and I was giving one of
    my guyís instructions. At the time there was an alliance, it was my school and
    Ralphs school and we where one team and BJ was on that team.

I was giving one of my guys instructions and
    I looked over to my left a little bit and I saw BJís eyes focused on every word
    I was saying and he kind of smiled and said, ĎYou always have the best advice,
    thatís why I always listen to you.í

And
    it just reminded me, years and years have passed since then, but BJ, take my
    advice now, itís time to make something new happen. ď

These are the sentiments of famed coach and leader of the Gracie
    Fight Team, Cesar Gracie, as he tells it exclusively to BJPENN.COM this
    afternoon.

We are just five days removed
    from UFC 137, and
    as I sat here in my chair, writing a story about Reaganís upcoming fight this
    weekend I was surprised by my phoneís caller ID flashing ďCesar GracieĒ on
    it.

I obviously picked up the call, for
    one, curiosity and two; I enjoy the company of Cesar and Nate and have always
    considered Nick one of my personal favorite fighters. What happened last weekend
    was business and while, yes, I admit, it did hurt to see BJ go down, as the boss
    man JD tells it, ĎYou can let defeat keep you down, you gotta raise up
    snappin.í

Much to my surprise I was met
    with a voice of concern on the other line. Cesar was concerned for BJ and the
    future of his career. So much so that he instantly asked me how BJ is doing and
    instantly wanted me to play middle man between the camps to try and get BJ back
    on track and back home where he started his career.

From my personal standpoint, I agree that BJ needs a change. One
    of the very best and most talented martial artists to ever walk the earth, yet
    he has only notched official victories in one of his last five fights.

But where do we go from here? Our fearless
    leader who has taken on all comers across the globe his entire career suddenly
    retired in the cage last Saturday, and left the world hungry for more of his
    furious fighting style in the process. I talked to BJ after the fight and he has
    definitely acknowledged the fact that indeed, maybe something needs to change if
    he wants to compete at the highest level still.

But is it diet, a new camp, new sparring partners and coaches or
    a new weight class? That is all dependant on what BJ decides to do and we all
    support him regardless, however there is one man who has a plan set out for the
    ďProdigyĒ and it is our most recent opposition in the cage, Cesar Gracie.

Through me and the discussion that I
    eventually decided to document for the website, Cesar talks about BJís heart and
    desire to win, the changes he thinks he needs to make in order to resurge as the
    champion he is as well as makes a formal offer to merge both of our teams in an
    alliance that will surely be un*****ed across the globe.

I share this conversation for the first time with the world,
    with BJ and the rest of our team in hopes that if this is the change that is
    needed for BJ to make a dominant return that it is met with open ears and open
    hearts.

Iíll let Cesar explain his plan
    from here on out. (Check the full audio at the bottom of the entry)

ďMe looking at the fight that just occurred,
    a chord struck. Looking at BJ coming out, he had the Hawaiian music, I could see
    the emotion on the guys face and I could see how much he cared. It kind of moved
    me to a certain extent, seeing all those Hawaiians that flew over, me meeting
    with BJís mom beforehand and having a conversation with her and seeing just what
    kind of a person that she is and what kind of people these are.

There was something very honest and genuine
    there that struck a chord with me and I got to thinking to myself. Iím watching
    this guys fight and Iím very impressed with his abilities, number one. Not a lot
    of guys can stand up like that with a Nick Diaz and not a lot of guys can win a
    round like that in the first round, the judges gave it to him, it was a great
    round and Nick lost that round on the judgeís scorecard.

But also, being in the game for this
    long Iíve seen the problems. I see the heart that BJ has but I see, well, wait a
    minute, how come a guy with this much heart with this much technique and natural
    god given ability, why isnít it happening for him now. Heís only 32 years old,
    which in his mind thatís old, but it isnít and it boggles the mind looking at
    that.

So Iím looking at all that and
    going, whatís wrong?

Whatís wrong here is
    the stuff around him. I donít know his coaches or anything like that but for
    whatever reason itís not happening. This guy is coming into a fight and itís not
    that he is totally out of shape, but he is not in world class shape and thatís
    what it takes these days to make it to the upper levels of fighting.

Iíve had a relationship with BJ since he was
    16 years old, so I obviously always like the kid, always knew of his talent.
    There were things coming up, like when he fought my cousin, obviously he went
    one path and I wish he hadnít gone that path, it would have been better if he
    was with us instead of against us through some of that. But letís turn the page;
    letís look at it for what it is. Heís a genuine person; heís a guy that fights
    with his heart. Heís not a steroid user like a lot of these guys heís not a
    cheater and you know thereís respect for a guy like that.

I think the joining of our camps, of our teams together, a sort
    of coalition would benefit him incredibly and it would benefit us too. Guys like
    BJ Penn, Reagan Penn, Nick and Nathan, you know, Gilbert Melendez all the guys
    on our team would benefit from having those guys around.

I also look at whatís the psychology of whatís happening. Why is
    BJ not able to go somewhere and stay there and have to go back to Hawaii? Well,
    the similarities between Nick and BJ are striking, and when I mean striking itís
    almost like theyíre the same person. Theyíve got the same traits. These guys
    donít like to be far away from home.

If I
    take Nick and I move him to some great place in New York and heís training
    somewhere out there, the guys is gonna hop on a plane after a few days or a week
    at most and heís going to come home because he wants to be where his
    surroundings. And BJ is the same way, he wants to go back and be with his kids,
    he wants to be with his family and you have to accommodate for people.

I think a lot of people say, ĎCome out here,
    youíre gonna do this tough camp.í and pretty soon the guy is going to get
    depressed. Heís not gonna train to his fullest because what is happening
    psychologically.

Youíve got to make it so
    the guy can come over and leave anytime he wants. My guys will go over there,
    Nick and Nate absolutely love Hawaii so they would train there with him and
    obviously BJ used to live in Northern California when he started over here with
    us so it just makes sense and itís what he needs. Heís got too much talent to
    quit right now and he needs to get with some world class athletes and this is
    the perfect opportunity, the time is ticking and itís time to do it.Ē

Cesar continuedÖ

ďItís just a good fit, everyone is talking about BJís cardio,
    Nick, Nathan and Gilbert, these guys are the kings of cardio, and they do not
    get tired. BJ has to change some things up, heís gotta change his diet up a
    little bit too. With Nick and Nate they eat so clean itís ridiculous, they donít
    get sick ever and they donít get tired.

So it wouldnít be me telling him, ĎHey BJ you have to do this.í
    and itís not a nutritionist telling him something, itís actually guys heís
    training with saying ĎHey man, why donít you try this?í, thatís the only thing
    thatís going to change someoneís mind. Things have needed to change with this
    guy for awhile now and my interest in it is that itís just too much talent to
    let go.

Not only for BJ, but he has a
    younger brother coming up the ranks and Reaganís not going to make it without
    the help of professionals too and heís gonna follow the lead of his brother and
    this is the best time for BJ to say, ĎYou know what? I lost my fight, but Iím a
    man, Iím a warrior and Iím gonna lead the way and Iím going to show everybody
    what it is to be a warrior.í

A good man
    gets knocked down 6 times, heís gonna get up 7 and thatís the thing about our
    team. Everyoneís wanted to bury it from the get go, ĎOh these guys, they donít
    talk a certain way, theyíre not doing this, theyíll never make it, Nicks not
    gonna be good, Jake will never make ití. (When speaking of their critics.)

Jake Shields joined my team after coming off
    a terrible loss to one of my guys and instead of Jake Shields quitting he said,
    ĎYa know what? I better go train with these guys, cuz theyíre doing something
    different, they do this Jiu Jitsu, itís the best what they have up there.í And
    he joined the team and he hasnít looked back. He went up and up and up and has
    become a world class fighter. From being a C-Level fighter to becoming a top A
    level pound-for-pound fighter, itís because he made the changes he had to back
    then.

BJ has been running off talent and
    talent alone and thatís not good enough to make it these days.Ē

I asked Cesar his honest opinion on BJís
    career, I wanted to know if in his opinion are BJís best days behind him and he
    saidÖ

ďBJí best days are in front of him.
    This is a wonderful opportunity to turn the page and look towards the future. He
    can rewrite his whole future right now, he can do it. The best days are in front
    of him he just doesnít know it yet. We are going to get rid of that negative
    attitude, heís a young man, everything is pointing to go up and return.

This guy can make it, he needs pros as good
    as him to train with, to sit there with, to hang out with and be friends with
    and reinvigorate his career. Thatís my idea on it.Ē

Just so our readers, our team and myself are clear, this is a
    formal invitation from your team to ours to merge our camps and become an
    alliance is that right, I asked?

ďAbsolutely, said Cesar. This is a formal invitation. I talked
    to Nathan Diaz just a few minutes ago because he is one of the guys I havenít
    discussed this with yet and he said Ďabsolutely!í Nick Diaz told BJ not to quit
    after the fight because BJ was talking about quitting and that really upset Nick
    because this guy just gave him a war and heís thinking the same thing I am
    thinking, No way donít quit.

Circumstances put us to fight each other but letís put that
    aside now and lets fight a common enemy from this point out. Letís fight these
    other guys, these guys that are the lay n pray guys, these guys that are ruining
    MMA.

For the cause of saving MMA in the world
    these guys need to get together because people are inspired by that kind of
    fighting and if we keep having these other guys that just want to hold you and
    not fight itís going to destroy the sport that we
    love that we have been involved with our whole lives.

For the cause of saving MMA these type of people need to unite.Ē
    NSCA - CSCS

5. O subbed to this one!
    Core Nutritionals Representative
    •   

6. Opinions on Cesar Gracie inviting BJ to join their team? Personally, I love it. I think it'd be best for BJ to surround himself around other elite pro's to train with on the regular, especially someone who fights like himself, but better (Nick Diaz). Anything that could keep BJ relevent for a few more years I'm behind.
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. UFC 138 Weigh-Ins

NSCA - CSCS
  8. Mark Munoz talks UFC 138, Chael Sonnen, PED's, Spygate and Nick Diaz

NSCA - CSCS

9. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Opinions on Cesar Gracie inviting BJ to join their team? Personally, I love it. I think it'd be best for BJ to surround himself around other elite pro's to train with on the regular, especially someone who fights like himself, but better (Nick Diaz). Anything that could keep BJ relevent for a few more years I'm behind.
    I love the idea, it's what BJ needs if he ever wants to be champion again. BJ needs to fight at lightweight tho, if he is ever going to beat frankie he would have to be in amazing shape and training with guys such as Diaz and Melendez. That or go to new mexico and train with the jackson team.
  10. Sad Video of the Day: Tank Abbott Goes the Distance With Scott Ferrozzo in Somebodyís

NSCA - CSCS

11. wow, I didn't expect it to be that sad, but wow lol.

12. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Opinions on Cesar Gracie inviting BJ to join their team? Personally, I love it. I think it'd be best for BJ to surround himself around other elite pro's to train with on the regular, especially someone who fights like himself, but better (Nick Diaz). Anything that could keep BJ relevent for a few more years I'm behind.
    Not really digging it. BJ needs a great conditioning coach and he goes through them far too frequently. He also needs to stop going from LW to WW as he clearly belongs at LW. At WW, if he doesn't finish within a round, he gasses out and loses (his only wins at WW are against Hughes and maybe Bang as I can't remember if they fought at LW or WW).

I saw that on my BJJ instructor's FB. One of the comments was that it was, "like watching two elephant seals mating."
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

I saw that on my BJJ instructor's FB. One of the comments was that it was, "like watching two elephant seals mating."
    Lol
    NSCA - CSCS

14. UFC 138 was one of the better cards that I've seen in awhile. Munoz seems to have finally learned how to really implement his wrestling into MMA and not keep taking long-range, low-percentage shots from the outside.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

15. His GnP is looking nice & brutal as well.
    NSCA - CSCS
  16. The Reem Episode 7 - Alistair Overeem Explains Departure From Golden Glory

NSCA - CSCS
  17. UFC eying Josh Koscheck vs. Carlos Condit in February

The last couple of months have been a roller-coaster ride for Carlos Condit. After initially being scheduled to fight B.J. Penn at this past monthís UFC 137, Condit was moved up the card to take on Georges St. Pierre for the UFC welterweight title after Nick Diaz no showed a press conference. When GSP pulled out due to injury, it was determined that Condit would wait for the champion to heal. However, yet another change of plans left the Team Jackson standout in limbo, as Diazís impressive victory in the showís headliner pushed him back into number one contender status.
    Now, it appears Condit is destined for a date with former top contender Josh Koscheck at UFC 143 in February. The event should also feature St. Pierreís title defense against Diaz. At last nightís UFC 138 post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White had the following to say on the subject:

ďRight now, Carlos Condit wants to fight,Ē the UFC President explained. ďHe wants to fight on the same card as GSP and Diaz, so weíll see what happensÖ.It could be with Koscheck. Condit wanted that fight.Ē
    Koscheck is coming off a first round knockout victory over UFC legend Matt Hughes last September in a fight he took on short notice following an extended layoff due to the injury he sustained in his defeat to St. Pierre last year.
    NSCA - CSCS
  18. UFC on FOX 1: Who should Cain Velasquez vs Junior dos Santos winner fight next?

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will put on a heavyweight mash up of epic proportions when current champion Cain Velasquez defends his belt against Junior dos Santos at UFC on FOX 1 in Anaheim, Calif., on Sat., Nov. 12, 2011.
    It is a fight that mixed martial arts (MMA) fans have looked forward to for some time now. It may end up being the most high-profile heavyweight fight in the history of the UFC because it will air live on network television, serving as the conduit to convert millions of unsuspecting mainstream fans into loyal, long-term supporters.
    When the Octagon door slams shut, the world will witness two of the most well-rounded, 265-pound fighters who have ever fought under the Zuffa banner. But then when, "IT'S ALL OVER," the debate will soon begin to swirl:
    Who got next?

The first option is the least exciting, so let's get it out of the way.
    There is a possibility that when the fight between Velasquez and dos Santos is over, fans will still wanting more of the same. If it isn't decisive, be prepared for UFC President Dana White to run it back. It doesn't happen often, but it's not outside the realm of possibility (see Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard 2).
    Meanwhile, former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem is adamant that the winner of his fight with former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 141 on Dec. 30 in Las Vegas, Nevada, will receive an instant title shot with whoever happens to be the champion at that time.
    It's tough to argue with that kind of a match up. Lesnar fought Velasquez once before and got bludgeoned. The storyline of redemption in a potential rematch would be a huge seller. Really, any combination of the four of them, respectively (Velasquez, dos Santos, Lesnar and Overeem) would garner a ton of pay-per-view (PPV) buys.
    A less enticing pairing may include the winner of Frank Mir and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira when the two square off at UFC 140 on Dec. 10 in Toronto. For this to happen, we'd either have to see a very unimpressive winner in the bout between Overeem and Lesnar, or an injury would have to occur.
    Inside the UFC, there's not a lot more to offer. Roy Nelson is available and would love a title shot, but let's not get crazy. He'll need another impressive win before that conversation could even happen.
    And what about Strikeforce? Is it sticking around? Is the promotion on borrowed time?
    If San Jose, Calif.-based promotion really does bite the dust in the next 12 to 18 months (as many believe that it will), the winner of the heavyweight grand prix, which features Josh Barnett vs. Daniel Cormier, may be "in the mix," too.
    There are clear front runners, as well as dark horses. Factor in misfortune in the form of injuries, which has been a thorn in the side UFC matchmaker Joe Silva seemingly the entire 2011 fight season, and it's possible that any of the aforementioned fighters will be called upon to step up next.
    Who do you think will ultimately fight the Velasquez-dos Santos next?
    NSCA - CSCS
  19. Fighters in L.A. for BJJ tournament stop a robbery at hotel

Two mixed martial artists from Oregon were in Los Angeles for a grappling tournament, but they ended up using their skills to do much more than win a match. They subdued an armed robber who was holding up the clerk at their hotel. Watch the security video in this report from KCAL-TV.

Video Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cag...urn=mma-wp9093

Brent Alvarez runs Twisted Web MMA in Eugene, Ore., and Billy Denney is his student. They were walking through the hotel lobby when they saw the robber, who had gone behind the hotel's counter, pulled out a gun, and demanded money. The clerk handed over the cash, but yelled for help. Alvarez and Denney jumped on the robber, and while Denney controlled his wrists, Alvarez sunk in a rear naked choke. They held him in place until police arrived.
    NSCA - CSCS

20. The robber was held in an RNC with a bodylock until cops arrived. I heard the radio personalities report the incident and they couldn't make sense of the phrase "rear naked choke," they kept wondering if it had a sexual conotation.
    NSCA - CSCS

21. I can't believe the UFC on fox is only showing 1 fight, I was pissed when I heard that, but I guess there showing it live on Facebook, just sucks because now I can't record it on my DVR and I work that night

I think the winner should fight the REEM if he wins his fight with Lesnar.

I'd be down with seeing the winner fight..

The Reem
    Barnnet
    Cormier
    Lesnar
    Mir
    Nelson

in that order.

22. Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    I can't believe the UFC on fox is only showing 1 fight, I was pissed when I heard that, but I guess there showing it live on Facebook, just sucks because now I can't record it on my DVR and I work that night

I think the winner should fight the REEM if he wins his fight with Lesnar.

I'd be down with seeing the winner fight..

The Reem
    Barnnet
    Cormier
    Lesnar
    Mir
    Nelson

in that order.
    I'm hopeful for the Reem, but I'm not sure how much defeating Brock would say about him, unless the fight went to the ground and he managed to survive it. Brock's TD's, unless they are up against the cage, aren't very effective. They're slow and projected, so I think a mid-cage shot would be easily defended by Alistair. We'll see if Brock has learned to throw in a TD after some jabs, as oppose to something more foreseable.
    NSCA - CSCS
  23. Alistair Overeem joins Xtreme Couture

Alistair Overeem was on MMAFighting.comís The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani Monday afternoon and the former Strikeforce heavyweight fighter, who many speculated would be joining Kingís MMA in Huntington Beach, Calif. after splitting with Golden Glory in the summer, revealed that he has instead decided to relocate to Las Vegas, Nev. where he will train at Xtreme Couture.

Although he wouldnít reveal too much about the change in camps on the show, ďThe Demolition ManĒ gave more details of his decision to train stateside and what was behind his split with Bas Boon and company in the following episode of The Reem documentary, which was released minutes ago.

Itís curious that Alistair would choose Xtreme Couture when the camp has an obvious deficiency in top-tier heavyweight training partners for him to work with save for Ray Sefo and sometimes heavyweight Randy Couture. XC is known for its wrestling pedigree, which Overeem has stated he would like to focus more intently on, so in that sense, the choice makes sense.

If youíve watched the video, itís an unfortunate situation that saw Alistair break ties with his management and trainers, but business is business and sometimes doing whatís best for oneís career isnít whatís best for oneís friendships.

It will be interesting to see what changes to his game he displays in his upcoming UFC 141 fight with Brock Lesnar. Considering Randy has both trained with and fought Brock, he should be able to offer some first-hand insight on him.
    NSCA - CSCS
  24. VIDEO: Jake Ellenberger - I would love to smash Diaz, he has no punching power!

NSCA - CSCS
  25. VIDEO: Jake Ellenberger: Nick Diaz won't beat GSP

NSCA - CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. the good news about the bad news...
    By motive in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 05:08 PM
  2. Good news for Paris, better news for us.
    By ReaperX in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM
  3. Good news, Bad News..
    By Poobah in forum Training Forum
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 04:34 PM
  4. good news and bad news
    By Skye in forum General Chat
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 01:29 PM