MMA NEWS

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Opinions on Cesar Gracie inviting BJ to join their team? Personally, I love it. I think it'd be best for BJ to surround himself around other elite pro's to train with on the regular, especially someone who fights like himself, but better (Nick Diaz). Anything that could keep BJ relevent for a few more years I'm behind.
    NSCA - CSCS

2. UFC 138 Weigh-Ins

NSCA - CSCS
    •   

3. Mark Munoz talks UFC 138, Chael Sonnen, PED's, Spygate and Nick Diaz

NSCA - CSCS

4. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Opinions on Cesar Gracie inviting BJ to join their team? Personally, I love it. I think it'd be best for BJ to surround himself around other elite pro's to train with on the regular, especially someone who fights like himself, but better (Nick Diaz). Anything that could keep BJ relevent for a few more years I'm behind.
    I love the idea, it's what BJ needs if he ever wants to be champion again. BJ needs to fight at lightweight tho, if he is ever going to beat frankie he would have to be in amazing shape and training with guys such as Diaz and Melendez. That or go to new mexico and train with the jackson team.
    Core Nutritionals Representative
  5. Sad Video of the Day: Tank Abbott Goes the Distance With Scott Ferrozzo in Somebody’s

NSCA - CSCS
    •   

6. wow, I didn't expect it to be that sad, but wow lol.

7. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Opinions on Cesar Gracie inviting BJ to join their team? Personally, I love it. I think it'd be best for BJ to surround himself around other elite pro's to train with on the regular, especially someone who fights like himself, but better (Nick Diaz). Anything that could keep BJ relevent for a few more years I'm behind.
    Not really digging it. BJ needs a great conditioning coach and he goes through them far too frequently. He also needs to stop going from LW to WW as he clearly belongs at LW. At WW, if he doesn't finish within a round, he gasses out and loses (his only wins at WW are against Hughes and maybe Bang as I can't remember if they fought at LW or WW).

I saw that on my BJJ instructor's FB. One of the comments was that it was, "like watching two elephant seals mating."
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

I saw that on my BJJ instructor's FB. One of the comments was that it was, "like watching two elephant seals mating."
    Lol
    NSCA - CSCS

9. UFC 138 was one of the better cards that I've seen in awhile. Munoz seems to have finally learned how to really implement his wrestling into MMA and not keep taking long-range, low-percentage shots from the outside.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

10. His GnP is looking nice & brutal as well.
    NSCA - CSCS
  11. The Reem Episode 7 - Alistair Overeem Explains Departure From Golden Glory

NSCA - CSCS
  12. UFC eying Josh Koscheck vs. Carlos Condit in February

The last couple of months have been a roller-coaster ride for Carlos Condit. After initially being scheduled to fight B.J. Penn at this past month’s UFC 137, Condit was moved up the card to take on Georges St. Pierre for the UFC welterweight title after Nick Diaz no showed a press conference. When GSP pulled out due to injury, it was determined that Condit would wait for the champion to heal. However, yet another change of plans left the Team Jackson standout in limbo, as Diaz’s impressive victory in the show’s headliner pushed him back into number one contender status.
    Now, it appears Condit is destined for a date with former top contender Josh Koscheck at UFC 143 in February. The event should also feature St. Pierre’s title defense against Diaz. At last night’s UFC 138 post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White had the following to say on the subject:

“Right now, Carlos Condit wants to fight,” the UFC President explained. “He wants to fight on the same card as GSP and Diaz, so we’ll see what happens….It could be with Koscheck. Condit wanted that fight.”
    Koscheck is coming off a first round knockout victory over UFC legend Matt Hughes last September in a fight he took on short notice following an extended layoff due to the injury he sustained in his defeat to St. Pierre last year.
    NSCA - CSCS
  13. UFC on FOX 1: Who should Cain Velasquez vs Junior dos Santos winner fight next?

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will put on a heavyweight mash up of epic proportions when current champion Cain Velasquez defends his belt against Junior dos Santos at UFC on FOX 1 in Anaheim, Calif., on Sat., Nov. 12, 2011.
    It is a fight that mixed martial arts (MMA) fans have looked forward to for some time now. It may end up being the most high-profile heavyweight fight in the history of the UFC because it will air live on network television, serving as the conduit to convert millions of unsuspecting mainstream fans into loyal, long-term supporters.
    When the Octagon door slams shut, the world will witness two of the most well-rounded, 265-pound fighters who have ever fought under the Zuffa banner. But then when, "IT'S ALL OVER," the debate will soon begin to swirl:
    Who got next?

The first option is the least exciting, so let's get it out of the way.
    There is a possibility that when the fight between Velasquez and dos Santos is over, fans will still wanting more of the same. If it isn't decisive, be prepared for UFC President Dana White to run it back. It doesn't happen often, but it's not outside the realm of possibility (see Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard 2).
    Meanwhile, former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem is adamant that the winner of his fight with former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 141 on Dec. 30 in Las Vegas, Nevada, will receive an instant title shot with whoever happens to be the champion at that time.
    It's tough to argue with that kind of a match up. Lesnar fought Velasquez once before and got bludgeoned. The storyline of redemption in a potential rematch would be a huge seller. Really, any combination of the four of them, respectively (Velasquez, dos Santos, Lesnar and Overeem) would garner a ton of pay-per-view (PPV) buys.
    A less enticing pairing may include the winner of Frank Mir and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira when the two square off at UFC 140 on Dec. 10 in Toronto. For this to happen, we'd either have to see a very unimpressive winner in the bout between Overeem and Lesnar, or an injury would have to occur.
    Inside the UFC, there's not a lot more to offer. Roy Nelson is available and would love a title shot, but let's not get crazy. He'll need another impressive win before that conversation could even happen.
    And what about Strikeforce? Is it sticking around? Is the promotion on borrowed time?
    If San Jose, Calif.-based promotion really does bite the dust in the next 12 to 18 months (as many believe that it will), the winner of the heavyweight grand prix, which features Josh Barnett vs. Daniel Cormier, may be "in the mix," too.
    There are clear front runners, as well as dark horses. Factor in misfortune in the form of injuries, which has been a thorn in the side UFC matchmaker Joe Silva seemingly the entire 2011 fight season, and it's possible that any of the aforementioned fighters will be called upon to step up next.
    Who do you think will ultimately fight the Velasquez-dos Santos next?
    NSCA - CSCS
  14. Fighters in L.A. for BJJ tournament stop a robbery at hotel

Two mixed martial artists from Oregon were in Los Angeles for a grappling tournament, but they ended up using their skills to do much more than win a match. They subdued an armed robber who was holding up the clerk at their hotel. Watch the security video in this report from KCAL-TV.

Video Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cag...urn=mma-wp9093

Brent Alvarez runs Twisted Web MMA in Eugene, Ore., and Billy Denney is his student. They were walking through the hotel lobby when they saw the robber, who had gone behind the hotel's counter, pulled out a gun, and demanded money. The clerk handed over the cash, but yelled for help. Alvarez and Denney jumped on the robber, and while Denney controlled his wrists, Alvarez sunk in a rear naked choke. They held him in place until police arrived.
    NSCA - CSCS

15. The robber was held in an RNC with a bodylock until cops arrived. I heard the radio personalities report the incident and they couldn't make sense of the phrase "rear naked choke," they kept wondering if it had a sexual conotation.
    NSCA - CSCS

16. I can't believe the UFC on fox is only showing 1 fight, I was pissed when I heard that, but I guess there showing it live on Facebook, just sucks because now I can't record it on my DVR and I work that night

I think the winner should fight the REEM if he wins his fight with Lesnar.

I'd be down with seeing the winner fight..

The Reem
    Barnnet
    Cormier
    Lesnar
    Mir
    Nelson

in that order.

17. Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    I can't believe the UFC on fox is only showing 1 fight, I was pissed when I heard that, but I guess there showing it live on Facebook, just sucks because now I can't record it on my DVR and I work that night

I think the winner should fight the REEM if he wins his fight with Lesnar.

I'd be down with seeing the winner fight..

The Reem
    Barnnet
    Cormier
    Lesnar
    Mir
    Nelson

in that order.
    I'm hopeful for the Reem, but I'm not sure how much defeating Brock would say about him, unless the fight went to the ground and he managed to survive it. Brock's TD's, unless they are up against the cage, aren't very effective. They're slow and projected, so I think a mid-cage shot would be easily defended by Alistair. We'll see if Brock has learned to throw in a TD after some jabs, as oppose to something more foreseable.
    NSCA - CSCS
  18. Alistair Overeem joins Xtreme Couture

Alistair Overeem was on MMAFighting.com’s The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani Monday afternoon and the former Strikeforce heavyweight fighter, who many speculated would be joining King’s MMA in Huntington Beach, Calif. after splitting with Golden Glory in the summer, revealed that he has instead decided to relocate to Las Vegas, Nev. where he will train at Xtreme Couture.

Although he wouldn’t reveal too much about the change in camps on the show, “The Demolition Man” gave more details of his decision to train stateside and what was behind his split with Bas Boon and company in the following episode of The Reem documentary, which was released minutes ago.

It’s curious that Alistair would choose Xtreme Couture when the camp has an obvious deficiency in top-tier heavyweight training partners for him to work with save for Ray Sefo and sometimes heavyweight Randy Couture. XC is known for its wrestling pedigree, which Overeem has stated he would like to focus more intently on, so in that sense, the choice makes sense.

If you’ve watched the video, it’s an unfortunate situation that saw Alistair break ties with his management and trainers, but business is business and sometimes doing what’s best for one’s career isn’t what’s best for one’s friendships.

It will be interesting to see what changes to his game he displays in his upcoming UFC 141 fight with Brock Lesnar. Considering Randy has both trained with and fought Brock, he should be able to offer some first-hand insight on him.
    NSCA - CSCS
  19. VIDEO: Jake Ellenberger - I would love to smash Diaz, he has no punching power!

NSCA - CSCS
  20. VIDEO: Jake Ellenberger: Nick Diaz won't beat GSP

NSCA - CSCS
  21. Lyoto ''The Dragon'' Machida highlight 2011: The Samurai Way

NSCA - CSCS
  22. Overeem sues - Managers are morons

MMA pain machine Alistair Overeem -- the guy who's set to fight Brock Lesnar next month -- claims he's been stabbed in the back by his management team ... and he almost paid the price in the ring.

Long story short -- Overeem filed a lawsuit against his Netherlands-based management team -- claiming they duped him into signing the worst MMA contract ever ... and then tried to book him into high profile fights when he wasn't healthy enough to perform.

According to the lawsuit, filed in L.A. County Superior Court, Overeem stupidly agreed to give his managers 35% of his pre-tax income in exchange for their services -- but the managers failed him miserably.

Overeem claims the managers have refused to pay him more than $151,000 in earnings -- including a bigtime bonus he was supposed to rake in when he signed with the UFC.

Overeem is suing for unspecified damages -- and he wants a court order to break his contract with the management team ASAP.

Overeem is scheduled to fight Lesnar on Dec. 30 -- a fight worth millions of dollars that he clearly doesn't want his managers to get their hands on.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/09/alista...sues-managers/
    NSCA - CSCS
  23. Nick Diaz reveals thoughts on UFC, Gameplan vs GSP - Inside MMA

NSCA - CSCS
  24. BJ Penn on Diaz v. GSP, Retirement- INSIDE MMA Exclusive

NSCA - CSCS
  25. UFC on FOX Pre-fight Press Conference

NSCA - CSCS
  26. UFC on FOX - Silencing the critics (F*** you Bob Arum!)

NSCA - CSCS

27. JDS/Cain is going to be a great fight. I'm so amped up to see this and believe it could easily be FOTY, which I don't think has ever happened with HWs. I'm not a huge fan of either of them, but that has not diminished my excitement for this at all.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

28. I'm relatively neutral fan-wise in regards to Cain and JDS. If anything, I have a little grudge against Cain for his raping of Brock Lesnar, but between the two Cain and JDS, I like JDS a little more. They both seem like classy guys, family oriented guys, both real respectful, it's hard to pick a villain here, but I'll be rooting for JDS. Also, I agree, having two HW even in prospect contention for fight of the year is a pretty cool thing.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. 16 yr old Shogun Rua fighting at house party

NSCA - CSCS
  30. Uh Oh for GSP - QuickTwitt: Freddie Roach Ready To Test Boxing Of Diaz In GSP Bout

NSCA - CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. the good news about the bad news...
    By motive in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 05:08 PM
  2. Good news for Paris, better news for us.
    By ReaperX in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM
  3. Good news, Bad News..
    By Poobah in forum Training Forum
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 04:34 PM
  4. good news and bad news
    By Skye in forum General Chat
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 01:29 PM