Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

The Reem Episode 7 - Alistair Overeem Explains Departure From Golden Glory

NSCA - CSCS

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC eying Josh Koscheck vs. Carlos Condit in February

The last couple of months have been a roller-coaster ride for Carlos Condit. After initially being scheduled to fight B.J. Penn at this past month’s UFC 137, Condit was moved up the card to take on Georges St. Pierre for the UFC welterweight title after Nick Diaz no showed a press conference. When GSP pulled out due to injury, it was determined that Condit would wait for the champion to heal. However, yet another change of plans left the Team Jackson standout in limbo, as Diaz’s impressive victory in the show’s headliner pushed him back into number one contender status.
    Now, it appears Condit is destined for a date with former top contender Josh Koscheck at UFC 143 in February. The event should also feature St. Pierre’s title defense against Diaz. At last night’s UFC 138 post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White had the following to say on the subject:

“Right now, Carlos Condit wants to fight,” the UFC President explained. “He wants to fight on the same card as GSP and Diaz, so we’ll see what happens….It could be with Koscheck. Condit wanted that fight.”
    Koscheck is coming off a first round knockout victory over UFC legend Matt Hughes last September in a fight he took on short notice following an extended layoff due to the injury he sustained in his defeat to St. Pierre last year.
    NSCA - CSCS
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC on FOX 1: Who should Cain Velasquez vs Junior dos Santos winner fight next?

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will put on a heavyweight mash up of epic proportions when current champion Cain Velasquez defends his belt against Junior dos Santos at UFC on FOX 1 in Anaheim, Calif., on Sat., Nov. 12, 2011.
    It is a fight that mixed martial arts (MMA) fans have looked forward to for some time now. It may end up being the most high-profile heavyweight fight in the history of the UFC because it will air live on network television, serving as the conduit to convert millions of unsuspecting mainstream fans into loyal, long-term supporters.
    When the Octagon door slams shut, the world will witness two of the most well-rounded, 265-pound fighters who have ever fought under the Zuffa banner. But then when, "IT'S ALL OVER," the debate will soon begin to swirl:
    Who got next?

The first option is the least exciting, so let's get it out of the way.
    There is a possibility that when the fight between Velasquez and dos Santos is over, fans will still wanting more of the same. If it isn't decisive, be prepared for UFC President Dana White to run it back. It doesn't happen often, but it's not outside the realm of possibility (see Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard 2).
    Meanwhile, former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem is adamant that the winner of his fight with former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 141 on Dec. 30 in Las Vegas, Nevada, will receive an instant title shot with whoever happens to be the champion at that time.
    It's tough to argue with that kind of a match up. Lesnar fought Velasquez once before and got bludgeoned. The storyline of redemption in a potential rematch would be a huge seller. Really, any combination of the four of them, respectively (Velasquez, dos Santos, Lesnar and Overeem) would garner a ton of pay-per-view (PPV) buys.
    A less enticing pairing may include the winner of Frank Mir and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira when the two square off at UFC 140 on Dec. 10 in Toronto. For this to happen, we'd either have to see a very unimpressive winner in the bout between Overeem and Lesnar, or an injury would have to occur.
    Inside the UFC, there's not a lot more to offer. Roy Nelson is available and would love a title shot, but let's not get crazy. He'll need another impressive win before that conversation could even happen.
    And what about Strikeforce? Is it sticking around? Is the promotion on borrowed time?
    If San Jose, Calif.-based promotion really does bite the dust in the next 12 to 18 months (as many believe that it will), the winner of the heavyweight grand prix, which features Josh Barnett vs. Daniel Cormier, may be "in the mix," too.
    There are clear front runners, as well as dark horses. Factor in misfortune in the form of injuries, which has been a thorn in the side UFC matchmaker Joe Silva seemingly the entire 2011 fight season, and it's possible that any of the aforementioned fighters will be called upon to step up next.
    Who do you think will ultimately fight the Velasquez-dos Santos next?
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Fighters in L.A. for BJJ tournament stop a robbery at hotel

Two mixed martial artists from Oregon were in Los Angeles for a grappling tournament, but they ended up using their skills to do much more than win a match. They subdued an armed robber who was holding up the clerk at their hotel. Watch the security video in this report from KCAL-TV.

Video Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cag...urn=mma-wp9093

Brent Alvarez runs Twisted Web MMA in Eugene, Ore., and Billy Denney is his student. They were walking through the hotel lobby when they saw the robber, who had gone behind the hotel's counter, pulled out a gun, and demanded money. The clerk handed over the cash, but yelled for help. Alvarez and Denney jumped on the robber, and while Denney controlled his wrists, Alvarez sunk in a rear naked choke. They held him in place until police arrived.
    NSCA - CSCS
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

The robber was held in an RNC with a bodylock until cops arrived. I heard the radio personalities report the incident and they couldn't make sense of the phrase "rear naked choke," they kept wondering if it had a sexual conotation.
    NSCA - CSCS
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I can't believe the UFC on fox is only showing 1 fight, I was pissed when I heard that, but I guess there showing it live on Facebook, just sucks because now I can't record it on my DVR and I work that night

I think the winner should fight the REEM if he wins his fight with Lesnar.

I'd be down with seeing the winner fight..

The Reem
    Barnnet
    Cormier
    Lesnar
    Mir
    Nelson

in that order.
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    I can't believe the UFC on fox is only showing 1 fight, I was pissed when I heard that, but I guess there showing it live on Facebook, just sucks because now I can't record it on my DVR and I work that night

I think the winner should fight the REEM if he wins his fight with Lesnar.

I'd be down with seeing the winner fight..

The Reem
    Barnnet
    Cormier
    Lesnar
    Mir
    Nelson

in that order.
    I'm hopeful for the Reem, but I'm not sure how much defeating Brock would say about him, unless the fight went to the ground and he managed to survive it. Brock's TD's, unless they are up against the cage, aren't very effective. They're slow and projected, so I think a mid-cage shot would be easily defended by Alistair. We'll see if Brock has learned to throw in a TD after some jabs, as oppose to something more foreseable.
    NSCA - CSCS
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Alistair Overeem joins Xtreme Couture

Alistair Overeem was on MMAFighting.com’s The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani Monday afternoon and the former Strikeforce heavyweight fighter, who many speculated would be joining King’s MMA in Huntington Beach, Calif. after splitting with Golden Glory in the summer, revealed that he has instead decided to relocate to Las Vegas, Nev. where he will train at Xtreme Couture.

Although he wouldn’t reveal too much about the change in camps on the show, “The Demolition Man” gave more details of his decision to train stateside and what was behind his split with Bas Boon and company in the following episode of The Reem documentary, which was released minutes ago.

It’s curious that Alistair would choose Xtreme Couture when the camp has an obvious deficiency in top-tier heavyweight training partners for him to work with save for Ray Sefo and sometimes heavyweight Randy Couture. XC is known for its wrestling pedigree, which Overeem has stated he would like to focus more intently on, so in that sense, the choice makes sense.

If you’ve watched the video, it’s an unfortunate situation that saw Alistair break ties with his management and trainers, but business is business and sometimes doing what’s best for one’s career isn’t what’s best for one’s friendships.

It will be interesting to see what changes to his game he displays in his upcoming UFC 141 fight with Brock Lesnar. Considering Randy has both trained with and fought Brock, he should be able to offer some first-hand insight on him.
    NSCA - CSCS
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

VIDEO: Jake Ellenberger - I would love to smash Diaz, he has no punching power!

NSCA - CSCS
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

VIDEO: Jake Ellenberger: Nick Diaz won't beat GSP

NSCA - CSCS
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Lyoto ''The Dragon'' Machida highlight 2011: The Samurai Way

NSCA - CSCS
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Overeem sues - Managers are morons

MMA pain machine Alistair Overeem -- the guy who's set to fight Brock Lesnar next month -- claims he's been stabbed in the back by his management team ... and he almost paid the price in the ring.

Long story short -- Overeem filed a lawsuit against his Netherlands-based management team -- claiming they duped him into signing the worst MMA contract ever ... and then tried to book him into high profile fights when he wasn't healthy enough to perform.

According to the lawsuit, filed in L.A. County Superior Court, Overeem stupidly agreed to give his managers 35% of his pre-tax income in exchange for their services -- but the managers failed him miserably.

Overeem claims the managers have refused to pay him more than $151,000 in earnings -- including a bigtime bonus he was supposed to rake in when he signed with the UFC.

Overeem is suing for unspecified damages -- and he wants a court order to break his contract with the management team ASAP.

Overeem is scheduled to fight Lesnar on Dec. 30 -- a fight worth millions of dollars that he clearly doesn't want his managers to get their hands on.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/09/alista...sues-managers/
    NSCA - CSCS
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Nick Diaz reveals thoughts on UFC, Gameplan vs GSP - Inside MMA

NSCA - CSCS
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

BJ Penn on Diaz v. GSP, Retirement- INSIDE MMA Exclusive

NSCA - CSCS
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC on FOX Pre-fight Press Conference

NSCA - CSCS
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC on FOX - Silencing the critics (F*** you Bob Arum!)

NSCA - CSCS
  17. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

JDS/Cain is going to be a great fight. I'm so amped up to see this and believe it could easily be FOTY, which I don't think has ever happened with HWs. I'm not a huge fan of either of them, but that has not diminished my excitement for this at all.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

I'm relatively neutral fan-wise in regards to Cain and JDS. If anything, I have a little grudge against Cain for his raping of Brock Lesnar, but between the two Cain and JDS, I like JDS a little more. They both seem like classy guys, family oriented guys, both real respectful, it's hard to pick a villain here, but I'll be rooting for JDS. Also, I agree, having two HW even in prospect contention for fight of the year is a pretty cool thing.
    NSCA - CSCS
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

16 yr old Shogun Rua fighting at house party

NSCA - CSCS
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Uh Oh for GSP - QuickTwitt: Freddie Roach Ready To Test Boxing Of Diaz In GSP Bout

NSCA - CSCS
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Dan Henderson Wants Jon Jones After Shogun Fight This Weekend

“I actually would have rather been in a fight for the title, but this fight excites me too. Shogun’s a tough guy, and it’s gonna be a big challenge… I’m not going to try extra hard to knock him out just to get a title shot. I’m going out there first and foremost to win the fight, and obviously try to finish him along the way… I do think that [Jon Jones] would be a fight I would enjoy. He’s awkward and unorthodox and it creates something to think about and how to beat that, and that’s what excites me these days. Guys that are a big challenge, and he would be more cause he’s awkward and dangerous at the same time, but I think he matches up really well with me style wise… I’m not one to buy into things too quickly. I’ve been doing this for a long time and seen a lot of guys beat a lot of tough guys really quick and then die out.”
    NSCA - CSCS
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Open Letter From Miguel Angel Torres

To my family, friends, and true students, I miss you guys and am coming home in a week. The choices I have to make to become a world champion again comes at an extremely high expense. I know what must be done to take care of my family, students, business, and employees.

When I was fighting in local events in small shows it was easy to just train in my own gym. The game has changed so much, every fight team has a gym of 40 full time fighters who live and train full time and are always in the gym, do not work, do not go to school, or diss training cause of their girlfriends. I have had to raise the stakes immensely to achieve a life long accomplishment.

This message is just to clear my mind so I can prepare for my fight next week. If one can't appreciate what it costs physically, mentally, emotionally, or even monetarily to do what I do at the highest level then they can stop coming to my gym.

If you ever even get close to where I am, you might understand where I am coming from. Everyone makes choices for a reason, I have a real opportunity at being the best in the world, not just taking a chance or going for a long shot.

Concerning my "friends" and "students" who left my gym to start their own gyms, good luck. By now you should have seen that its not as easy as it looks, now imagine juggling a pro career in the ufc, training full time, honoring various contracts with corporate sponsors, looking for a manager that has robbed you of 100gs, a family that misses you, students who all want to train under you, and back-stabbers who talk **** behind your back and all you can do is smile and say its ok.History is made by those who have the balls and heart to go for it. I will get mine.

Concerning having loyalty and setting an example, no one works as hard as me or pays the price I pay to do what I do. Nothing has been handed to me, graduated from Purdue with a bs in marketing, earned a black belt in bjj in 6 years, began a gym in 2003, been training mma all over the world since 1999, won titles in over 8 local promotions, became a world champion of the WEC in under a year, defended my belt 3 times, and now am in the UFC ready to do it again. As far as setting an example, quit blaming others for your bad decisions.

Everything looks easier on tv. Don't get the game twisted, loyalty...Two choices 1) come back home to corner a fighter who doesn't listen to what I say to get a cut of 0% of his purse, who pays no gym dues, causes pain and drama to my family, doesn't pay the trainers at my gym, uses my equipment at no cost, causes dissent amongst my students and speaks ill of me behind my back and to others or 2) train properly for a fight in a gym that has pro fighters my size that will 100% make me 125gs plus a potential 80g bonus and one step closer at regaining a title that I once held? The answer is not rocket science. I'm not worried, again good luck on all your endeavors.

Unless your going to speak ill of me to my face keep my name out your mouth. Everyone's looking for the same thing, only difference between you and me is that I will realize it and you will only watch it on tv or read about it. Funny thing is its easier to get where I am with my help, I'm where you want to be. All you have to do is listen to what I say. You don't want to wait, you jumped the gun, thats on you.

Once the trigger is pulled and the bullet is out the chamber it can't be taken back.

You took your shot, were too far away and missed. Now you want to play the blame game and pass the buck. A real man loses and cowboys up. If you would have won, you would of talked **** how you didn't need me and won anyways.

Things get a little bumpy and you want to bail. This message is intended for many people, being out here alone all I hear is rumors and stories of what is going on while I'm gone. I never claimed to be perfect, a god, a millionaire, or claim to have all the answers in life, but I do know about hard work, mma, martial arts, fighting, and getting **** done. To everyone who supports me, my gym, my career, thank you and I love you guys.

Trust me that I miss my gym family as much as my family at home and my friends. It hurts to be away and not be able to sleep cause you are worried about everything that is going on. I saddens me that this is what it has come to but in life we all chose our own paths. Miss you guys, see everyone in a weak when I come home.
    NSCA - CSCS
  23. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

The worst thing for the UFC would be if Machida and Shogun won their respective fights. A Machida/Rashad or Machida/Shogun fight wouldn't have the same luster as a JJ/Hendo or JJ/Rashad fight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I'm thinking this is part of a mind games strategy. There's no way GSP breaks away from his philosophy of attacking his opponent's weakness on this one. Especially since GSP's particular strength is Diaz's particular weakness, however, I'd love to see GSP stand against Nick.
    NSCA - CSCS
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Yoshihiro Akiyama draws Jake Shields for welterweight debut at UFC 144

Japanese fans are in for a treat, as the UFC has announced Yoshihiro Akiyama will make his long-awaited welterweight debut as part of the organization’s February 26 stop in Saitama Japan for UFC 144. Better yet, continuing the trend of apt adversaries for Akiyama, the 13-4 Judoka will face former Strikeforce champion Jake Shields for what should be a co-headliner alongside Frankie Edgar’s title-defense against Ben Henderson.Only 5’10”, Akiyama made the decision to drop to 170 pounds after falling in three straight fights including a brutal knockout loss to Vitor Belfort in August. He holds past wins in his career over Melvin Manhoef, Denis Kang, and Alan Belcher, as well as a number of exciting performances to his credit including a “Fight of the Year” candidate against Chris Leben at UFC 116.
    Shields is also coming off a strike-based stoppage after Jake Ellenberger finished him off less than a minute into their headlining bout at UFC Battle on the Bayou. Prior to the defeat he had gone the distance against Georges St. Pierre, becoming the first fighter to win a round from the Canadian champ in years, and entered the title-fight coming off victories over Martin Kampmann, Jason Miller, and Dan Henderson.
    NSCA - CSCS
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 139 Video: Shogun vs. Henderson In-Depth Preview

NSCA - CSCS
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC Bypasses NY Legislators, Files Lawsuit

With their attempts to go through the legislative process to legalize mixed martial arts in New York stalled in governmental muck year after year, the UFC on Tuesday announced that they are taking their fight to the courts.

The UFC and a group of plaintiffs that includes fighters, fans, trainers, and others involved in MMA (the plaintiffs), have filed a lawsuit against New York State officials challenging the constitutionality of the state law banning live professional MMA events and associated activities.

Professional mixed martial arts events have been banned in New York since 1997. The ban was enacted at a time when mixed martial arts was more commonly known as no holds barred with few rules and little to no regulation. It has since morphed into a full-fledged sport, allowed across the United States and the world, minus New York of course.

The lawsuit alleges the ban on MMA is unconstitutional, violating numerous provisions in the United States Constitution, including the First Amendment, the Equal Protection Clause, and the Due Process Clause. The lawsuit alleges that the ban on MMA infringes on the rights of fighters who want to display their skills, the rights of fans who would like to experience live MMA events, and the rights of those who train, publicize or otherwise advance MMA in New York.

The plaintiffs point to the following in support of the lawsuit:

• The Ban was originally imposed in 1997, at a time when MMA was unregulated and prohibited in many other states. Today, MMA is a highly-regulated, broadly popular sport, which experts and supporting safety data verify is as safe as or safer than many sports and activities that are legal in New York, including boxing, football and rodeo.

• MMA is widely available on television in New York, and many New Yorkers lawfully train and spar in MMA.

• Live professional MMA can take place in virtually every state except New York.

• The individual martial arts that comprise MMA, including kickboxing, jiu-jitsu, judo, boxing and wrestling, are legal and performed live regularly in New York – it is only their combination, performed live by professionals, that is banned in New York.

“MMA is one of the fastest growing sports in the U.S. and one of the most popular in the world,” said Lorenzo Fertitta, Chairman and CEO of Zuffa LLC, owner of the UFC. “When we acquired the UFC, we went to great lengths to invite regulation and adopt substantial safety measures. MMA is now as safe as or even safer than many other sports and activities sanctioned in New York like boxing, for example, because it allows fighters to honorably tap out and involves far fewer hits. All the disciplines that go into mixed martial arts are performed live in New York; it is only their combination that is illegal. Denying fighters the chance to exhibit their training and skills before a live audience and denying thousands of New Yorkers the ability to watch their favorite fighters perform live is not only an injustice to them, but to the local markets that would reap tremendous economic benefits from hosting competitions. We believe the ban should be eliminated, and look forward to fighting live in New York.”

The UFC has tried for years to legalize MMA in New York via the political process. Despite support from numerous legislators in the state, time and time again, legislation has stalled somewhere along the line.

The problem, according to UFC president Dana White, isn’t so much that individual legislators don’t want mixed martial arts, a sport that is also a proven economic stimulator, in their state, but a union that has a beef with the principals of the UFC.

“It has nothing to do with mixed martial arts, of all things; it’s the Culinary Union that’s keeping us out of New York,” White told radio hosts Boomer and Craig on WFAN over the summer. “They’re powerful guys.”

Why would the Culinary Union have anything to do with trying to slow or block the legalization of MMA in New York?

White believes it is because his partners at Zuffa (the company that owns the UFC), Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta, are also involved in the casino business. Their company, Station Casinos, is one of the largest non-union casino companies in the United States.

This is where the rubber meets the road. The Culinary Union has been trying for years to unionize Station Casinos, but thus far, has been thwarted. This is why White believes they are using their vast resources – the Culinary Union boasts approximately 60,000 members – to stop the Fertittas from bringing their mixed martial arts business to New York.

He believes the Culinary Union is using its influence among New York politicians, pressuring them not to pass legislation to approve sanctioning of MMA.

That’s likely the impetus behind why the UFC has decided to go the legal route in New York, pointing to not only the company’s rights, but specifically to the rights of individuals involved in and drawn to the sport.

“Performing MMA live in front of a crowd is an un*****ed experience and allows me to speak to my fans,” said Plaintiff and UFC competitor Brian Stann. “I was attracted to MMA during my time in the Marine Corps, after I returned from my first deployment to Iraq in 2005 and was looking for a path that allowed me to stay motivated, and inspire others, particularly fellow veterans. MMA is a brotherhood that demands respect for your fellow fighters and rewards mental discipline and skill. It has given countless veterans a way to rehabilitate and connect with other military veterans and I am grateful every day for the ability to compete and inspire my fans.”
    NSCA - CSCS
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC Champ Junior dos Santos Headed for Surgery

Junior dos Santos, fresh off capturing the UFC heavyweight title from Cain Velasquez, is headed to the sidelines.

Although he injured his knee just 11 days prior to the UFC on Fox main event, he stuck it out, capturing the belt in the process. But he won’t be seeing the inside of the Octagon again anytime soon, as he is instead headed for the operating table.

“He’s gonna make the surgery soon,” Brazilian journalist Marcelo Alonso said on Monday’s edition of The MMA Show with Mauro Ranallo. “He didn’t say exactly when, but he’s gonna make the surgery.”

That’s not really a surprise, considering dos Santos was on crutches a mere 11 days prior to the fight with Velasquez.

“When Cain was throwing some kicks, I was worried about that because Junior tore his meniscus before the fight, 11 days ago,” the new champ’s training partner, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, told MMAWeekly.com after the fight. “So he was on crutches for a while.”

Depending upon the extent of the injury and the duration of the recovery time, the surgery shouldn’t interfere all that much with the timeline for dos Santos’ first defense, anyway.

It would be ideal for him to defend the belt on his home turf when UFC 142 lands in Brazil in January, but that wouldn’t have happened even if dos Santos were healthy. UFC president Dana White has declared that the Dec. 30 fight between former UFC champion Brock Lesnar and former Strikeforce champion Alistair Overeem at UFC 141 will determine the first challenger to dos Santos’ belt.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Cigano fought Cain with a torn meniscus, wth.
    NSCA - CSCS
  30. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

JDS fought with a ron meniscus and will need surgery. However, it shouldn't keep him out for a significant period.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    JDS fought with a ron meniscus and will need surgery. However, it shouldn't keep him out for a significant period.
    That quickly squashes the Cain fans blaming the loss on his not fully recovered shoulder. I'd take a not fully recovered shoulder over a torn meniscus anyday.
    NSCA - CSCS
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Bas Rutten Rips Alistair Overeem

PL: Strikeforce, K-1 and Dream champion (and your fellow countryman) Alistair Overeem will be battling Lesnar on December 30th with a UFC world title shot at stake. There has been a lot going on with Overeem lately, including the shocking news that Alistair was leaving the Golden Glory team and firing his managers. Have you discussed any of this with him, maybe found out his reasons for doing it?

BR: Oh no, you didn't go there! (laughs) I thought that if nobody asks, I won't say anything, but now that you ask me I have to! It's been bothering me a lot! OK, here I go.

It's a money thing. He simply doesn't want to pay the people who made him. When he lost three fights in a row...well, like pretty much 5, I mean, he lost, won, lost three times in a row, won, and lost again...and nobody wanted to have him.

But his management kept pushing and using the power that they have because they have other great fighters. Like, for example [they would say]: "If you want Semmy Schilt to fight, then you have to take Alistair as well."

It's funny how fighters think. When it goes bad with them, their team is everything to them, and they love their team. In interviews after they win a fight, they say: "I owe everything to my team". Then when the management starts to put great fights together for them, directing their careers and the fighter gets better and better, some of them simply can't handle it, and it gets to their head.

I had a bad feeling already when he called himself, after he won the K-1 Grand Prix, a "legend". He actually said in an interview right after he won: "I am a legend now". I don't think a fighter can ever make that comment about himself.

And talking about the Grand Prix, let's face it, he had a great deal of luck as well there. He fought Peter Aerts who had a WAR with Semmy Schilt [previously that night] and was completely banged up, and then he fought [Gokhan] Saki, who had a broken arm AND hand, in the finals! At that moment when you win, you should say: "I'm very happy with the result, the stars were in line for me tonight, I also got a little bit of luck". Because everybody is going to say that about you anyway, you might as well simply say it yourself to keep the people respecting you, but NOT: "I'm a legend".

PL: Wow, sounds like you're genuinely pissed off at Alistair about this.

BR: Of course, I see it too many times. I KNOW what Golden Glory did for him. He couldn't punch or kick when he came to them, and I mean, HE COULDN'T PUNCH OR KICK! Some fighters get big and then forget who was fighting for them when they were losing. Two months ago, he wanted to make a belt for the Golden Glory team with "FOR CHAMPION MANAGEMENT" engraved on it. Those were HIS words after they made this huge contract for him, and now he says they are morons? He used them to negotiate the best deal and when they did it, now suddenly they are morons? Explain that to me. It's unreal.

Also, a few months ago, when they started to get close to a good deal with the UFC, he realized that he could make a lot of money. The first thing he did was go to Cor Hemmers, his striking coach, and tried to renegotiate the 10% trainer's fee.

You have to understand, [a deal like Alistair's UFC contract] is a dream for trainers, because there is a possibility that they create, with the help from management of course, a fighter who can make some REAL money for them. Because let's face it, most trainers don't live in a huge house, don't drive a big car, they do it for the love of the fighter they train. They put their whole heart and soul in there.

When a fighter's lost three in a row, and there is no hope for him, the trainer is always there for him, helping him again and again, and the management is trying to find fights for him. Understand as well that trainers like Cor Hemmers and Martijn de Jong are busy with the fighter 24 hours a day. I talked to Cor in the past and he told me he couldn't sleep from all the tension, and about thinking: "What's the best game plan for Alistair?" Also know that when Alistair [first] came to Cor, when he would get hit, he would turn his back to his opponent and didn't want to fight! You saw that when he fought his first K-1 fight in Holland, it was very bad. And when he was losing, [his trainers] were the ones who convinced him to go heavyweight since he was cutting way too much [to make light-heavyweight].

PL: I guess that was when his infamous horse meat diet began, huh? (laughs)

BR: (laughs) I'm not gonna go in there, because that's never been proven and I always say "Only make comments like that if you know 100% it's true, not 99%". So anyway, [Hemmers and de Jong] put him back on track, they GAVE him all those skills, they were there from the beginning, and they build him to become the fighter he is now. So for a fighter to go in and trying to renegotiate the 10% trainer's fee is just absurd. Ask ANY trainer who has made a fighter from scratch if he would think that's good. Please let me know if you can find ONE person.

PL: You've said that Martijn de Jong is one of the people being wronged here, but I can't recall Alistair saying anything bad about him. In fact, from what I've seen it's been quite the opposite, he's been very complimentary of de Jong all through this situation.

BR: Yeah, he tries to let the rest of the world think that the coaches and other fighters are on his side, and that it's only the management he has problems with. But that is absolutely NOT the case. I mean, go to Cor Hemmers' gym and look at the posters with pictures of Alistair on there, see what his fellow fighters did to them.

And you know what he said to Martijn? I know this because I talked with Martijn personally three days ago. When he told Martijn he didn't want to pay the 10% trainer's fee--and remember, Cor and Martijn SPLIT the 10%, so it's not 20% in total--Martijn told him that he was there with him for TWELVE YEARS, and that they trained him for so long and went through the ups and downs, especially the downs. And on top of that, he said that he was Alistair's friend this whole time, and made a big contribution to Alistair's success.

But Alistair said: "Yeah, if we have to talk about people who contributed to my success, then I also have to mention my cleaning lady who cleans my house for eleven and a half Euros an hour."

OK, just think about that for a second. It's almost like it's not real. I mean, he REALLY said this! I wouldn't tell you if it wasn't the truth, you know me, Paul.

PL: Well, while I can't say that this doesn't sound shocking, in the 14 years that I've known you I've never heard you tell lies about anyone or even be accused of it.

BR: Thank you, my friend. But to continue, just the fact that he uses the words "trainer" and "cleaning lady" in the same sentence is so disrespectful. And his new offer to Martijn was LESS THAN ONE PERCENT! Plus then of course Martijn has to see if he actually gets it. I said this before--normally Golden Glory gets the money from promoters in THEIR account. THEY pay the trainers, sparring partners, the fighters and their own fee of course, and this way, everybody who needs to get paid, gets paid! Oh, and many times [Golden Glory] would pay also for extra tickets to the fight, like flights to Japan or America, for the fighter's girlfriend or other friends. They would pay their hotel room, food, everything.

When the UFC said that they wanted to give the check directly to the fighter and not to the management, I already felt the problem coming. I right away thought: "Nobody is gonna get paid". You can actually find that in my long tweet about Golden Glory in the past that many people read. I wrote it when it happened, and sure enough, that's what happened, nobody got their money.

Well, I take that back. From the first check that Alistair personally got, he did pay his trainers 1.5% instead of the 10% that they should have got! So, as example, if the 10% trainer's fee would have been $20,000, Alistair paid $2,500 and still owes $17,500.

And people wonder why Golden Glory wants it first in their account--well, there you have it, so that EVERYBODY who helped the fighter gets paid! They [allowed direct payment to the fighter] ONE time and it went right away wrong, also with another fighter on that card by the way, so the proof is in the pudding.

Martijn also should have gotten a percentage of the sponsor money, but didn't get anything from that as well. Needless to say, after the "cleaning lady" comment and the "less then 1%" offer, Martijn declined to be [Alistair's] trainer in the future.

Listen, if you leave your old crew, and have a NEW trainer, who comes in NOW after all the real work is done, then YES, you can make a different deal with him, which is exactly what Alistair did now. And since he knew that his management and the Golden Glory guys were not gonna take his new deal, he simply left them and came up with this whole story that's unfolding now.

And I am 100% sure, if he wanted to renegotiate the 20% management fee that he was paying before, [Golden Glory] would have done that in an instant. They would have understood that with a big contract like this, they could take a lesser fee if he really thought they didn't deserve it.

But instead he complains in public about paying 35% of his money, which is another thing! People say, "Oh, 35% is a lot of money, he shouldn't do that!" First of all, it's 30%. He ASKED to make it 35% to get a break on TAXES...but that's another crazy story. But it's 30%, ALWAYS been 30%

With my job now, any TV, movie, commercial, or whatever I do, I am out 30% right away from management, agent, and lawyer fees. But they make sure my life is good, and that I don't make a mistake, so I happily give them that money, and you know what? It's tax deductible! And another thing, EVERY actor pays the same percentage.

Alistair says he wants to come and live here in California. Really? And do WHAT after he stops fighting? What if he starts losing? Acting? TV, movies, commercials? How on earth is he gonna do that? He doesn't want to pay 30%! And these people who he has to hire, like an entertainment manager, an agent and a lawyer, who didn't even help him before now, they will still want him to pay 30%. I wonder how he's gonna justify what he's doing [to his former trainers and management] when he starts having to pay 30% to new people? Just food for thought for the future.

PL: So, going back to my original question, have you actually discussed this stuff with Alistair himself?

BR: Alistair actually called me to explain his side of the story. The only thing I told him was: "If I was you, I would read all the e-mails [that your trainers and management] send to you, because everything is in there. They did NOT try to scam you." He said: "Yeah, but there was talk about a lot of money that they would get half from." This is an outside payment, by the way, not part of his contract or a signing bonus or anything. It was supposed to go half to him, with a group of people who helped him a LOT in the past each getting a share of the other half. He said: "I found out by accident, by accident"--he said it twice--"that they would get half, and we are talking about a lot of money."

I said: "I know what money you talk about, because [Golden Glory] even told me, and they NEVER told me to not to tell you about it. So again, if I were you, I would read the e-mails, it's all in there."

But once a fighter has it in his head that he is being screwed, people around him fuel those thoughts. They say: "Yeah, don't pay 30% to the trainers, management and sparring partners. YOU made them, not the other way around." And these are people who weren't there when Alistair had his bad streak, the 5 losses in 7 fights. No, a bunch of these guys showed up when he started winning.

And if you say that many times enough to a fighter, then eventually they start thinking like that. And he actually said this to his management last month: "I made the team. Because of ME, the team is so good". Well, if he still thinks that after reading everything I just said to you, then I am actually happy that [he and Golden Glory] broke up, because that is NOT a friend or team member.

PL: How much money are we talking about?

BR: I don't wanna go there. I just talk about what I know is 100% true, because I knew this when this all happened. I don't even wanna know how much he could make, but I guess it's enough to make him turn on his friends who were there from the beginning for him, through thick and thin, ups and downs, and especially the downs.

But hey, he's not the only one, there are many fighters who, when they made the switch to the UFC, or any other organization that would pay them "real" money, suddenly left their coaches and management who were there from the beginning. I'm not gonna mention names, but there are many of them, I talked about this in the past, including two other guys from Golden Glory. My question is: where are they now? Because suddenly their careers went down, injuries started to come out of nowhere, and now it's over. They call that "karma".

The last thing I say about this: Alistair never complained before about the 30%. NEVER. Because he knew what [Golden Glory] did for him. And now when he makes it big, now suddenly it's too much? Now suddenly they don't deserve that? That's "Scrooge stuff" right there.

And you know what? He didn't make this money yet, he has to win first, and now he stepped up in the competition. The guys he beat were all let go from the UFC, which means they lost there, and now he has to fight the guys who beat his old opponents. What will he do without a team as strong as Golden Glory, who did everything for him? When everything settles down, when he starts reminiscing about the good things, and starts thinking about stuff like I just wrote about, well, good luck with the fight preparation.

OK, enough, I don't wanna talk about it anymore. For any other interviewer who reads this, this is it, nothing more, so please don't contact me...well, it depends on what's gonna be said now of course. I still have something else I might be sharing, depends on what happens. I will let you know.

But this is my side of the story and both Alistair and I know this is 100% the truth. He hurt my friends emotionally, and then on top of everything he starts writing bad about THEM?! Wow. Cor Hemmers even had to go to the hospital with heart problems TWICE since this whole thing has started, and he never had any problems like that before. And Ron Nyqvist, my good friend, was really emotional about it. He said to me: "I don't care about the money Bas, you know that, it's really not about that. He just really hurt us all. The whole team, everybody." I could hear it in his voice, it got to him, it really did, and that's why I tell you this.

PL: Wow. I'm almost out of breath after hearing all that. Bas, I can't thank you enough for your candor and your time.

BR: No problem, vato. I had to get this off my chest, it was really getting to me, but now it is out there. I will let you know if I want to say any more, but for now, I have said my piece on the matter. But if you think THIS is a lot, wait for what Golden Glory has to say, all the discussions he had with them, favors, anything, they have a lot. But that's between them, I wasn't there, so it's for them to say.
    NSCA - CSCS
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

WANDERLEI SILVA: EMOTIONAL VICTORY REACTION

NSCA - CSCS
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

America wants ‘Mayhem’ Miller to punch Michael Bisping in the face

NSCA - CSCS
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu vs. Sambo - Rickson Gracie.flv

NSCA - CSCS
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Rickson Gracie vs TWO Wrestlers Back to Back fight

NSCA - CSCS
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Rickson Gracie vs Rei Zulu.mov

NSCA - CSCS
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

BJ Penn as BJJ white belt against a blue belt

NSCA - CSCS
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

The Prodigy v.s. Black Belt Judo

NSCA - CSCS
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Ramon Dekker Highlights

NSCA - CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. the good news about the bad news...
    By motive in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 04:08 PM
  2. Good news for Paris, better news for us.
    By ReaperX in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 02:45 PM
  3. Good news, Bad News..
    By Poobah in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 03:34 PM
  4. Another hit from the news
    By RSX-S in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 02:00 PM
  5. good news and bad news