Josh Barnett wins my friend's gyms in house tournament.....wtf???

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I live in La Verne, CA, about two cities away from Millenia MMA Gym, Rancho Cucamonga, CA. Millenia held an in-house tournament held at Ontario High School and while we all had Stephen Martinez (a recently earned brown belt; on a course to earn his black belt quicker then BJ Penn) to win, we had a surprise participant, Josh effing Barnett.

It was an open weight class and the last fight came down to Stephen Martinez at 180lbs vs Josh Barnett at 260lbs. Josh of course pimps Martinez, but what the hell? A local high school gym tournament? He won $500 cash and a belt. To make matters worse, he was talking head to everybody and then was talking to the audience while in side control, on top of Martinez.

It's a long ways since Pride FC eh Josh?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
geez, I had heard he just signed on with dream. Damn, times are tough for the Baby Faced Assasin

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
geez, I had heard he just signed on with dream. Damn, times are tough for the Baby Faced Assasin
He missed a recent court date, maybe he needed to pay fees? :dunno:

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
David vs. Goliath...
looks a tad bit unfair

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
is barnett a black belt?? or just a labeled a submission expert/catch wrestler? Is your boy stephen gona do the pan-ams?
I think Barnett is a blackbelt, but I don't know who its under? Yeah, he did the Pan-ams in 2009 and did pretty well.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Sucks that he sandbagged your friend, but at the same time. He's got a hell of an experience out of it. I'd be a little pissed too. Lol

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
This is like fitness usa throwing a pose down contest
and having Jay Cutler pull up in Olympia condition, hitting a front double bicep
and walking out with a $500 check.
I wish your buddy would have won, that would have got him some cred.

mh625

Awards
Thats really ****ed up Barnett is a top ten heavyweight what an *******.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nice, Barnett is on the comeback trail ;/ (where are the emoticons, I forgot). Josh will be back fighting top comp hopefully soon. Can't wait to see Josh with the patented bloody nose and neck slice gesture.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Ha ha, that's bogus. What a douche. At least your friend can say he rolled with Josh Barnett.

Xpballer

Awards
  • Established
yeah.... 500$ would be sweet, and the guys a bigtime douche for coming and basically stealing it. but that money will be spent and he might not even remember on what.

But now he can say he rolled with Josh barnett, and its on tape. Definitely an experience

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is like fitness usa throwing a pose down contest
and having Jay Cutler pull up in Olympia condition, hitting a front double bicep
and walking out with a $500 check.
I wish your buddy would have won, that would have got him some cred.
Nice analogy. I agree.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett (25-4) has now inked a deal with DREAM. Barnett is likely to be apart of the DREAM 13 card on March 22nd with Joachim Hansen vs Bibiano Fernandes for the DREAM featherweight title as the headliner.

Barnett has been surrounded by controversy after testing positive for anabolic steroids by the CSAC ten days prior to the bout with number one ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko. As of late, Barnett has been making attempts to appeal the steroid allegations, but the hearings have been postponed four times. The fourth hearing in February, Barnett was a no show and claims that he was unaware of a hearing.

Despite all the controversy, Barnett is still a great addition to the DREAM roster. The former UFC heavyweight champion has defeated the likes of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Randy Couture, Jeff Monson, Pedro Rizzo, Aleksander Emelianenko, and Semmy Schilt.

Most recently Josh Barnett won the gold World's Jiu Jitsu Championship (No GI) in the ultra heavyweight division. In Barnett's last mixed martial arts bout he defeated Gilbert Yvel via technical knock out in round three at "Affliction: Day of Reckoning".

While no official opponent has been named for Barnett's Dream debut later this month, it has been rumored that both Antonio Silva and Tim Sylvia have declined bouts with the former UFC champion. It should also be noted that DREAM intends on crowning their first heavyweight champion this year, with Barnett's name now in the mix, it shouldn't be unfathomable for Barnett to be in the mix.

Hopefully he gets a decent opponent. I'm a big Barnett fan, he's a great fighter and a great personality.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i really hate this guy even more now. low life

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Seems a little strange they would allow a pro to enter.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Why would they let him compete and take the money?...Should have been just for fun or for a side bet...its rifrickendiculous! At least ur bud has a story to tell though.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
what a fat ass no wonder why he needs methanon or whatever.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Yeah him and Tim Sylvia would be a funny looking fight of the fattys if it ever happens. Although Josh would probably destroy him pretty quickly. But yeah I really cant believe he even entered that event, thats like Michael Jordan going to a 1v1 bball event at a highschool and talking to trash to the kids when he pwns them.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
just look at the hgh chin and jaw line. fool is so lame.

FlexMasterFunk

FlexMasterFunk

Awards
Wow..thats the worst....thats like training hard for golden gloves, and "surprise!" the final is against Mike Tyson (in his prime). Then again its also an honor. Bitter sweet.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
is barnett a black belt?? or just a labeled a submission expert/catch wrestler? Is your boy stephen gona do the pan-ams?
Josh doesn't have a belt he is straight catch from gotch and has never done gi if I remember correctly

Sam I Am

Sam I Am

Banned
Awards
I think Barnett is a blackbelt, but I don't know who its under? Yeah, he did the Pan-ams in 2009 and did pretty well.
His response to obtaining his BB...
“They want to know where I got my black belt? I got my black belt from all the other black belts who I’ve passed out and made scream over the years. That’s where I earned it.”
Taken from FightWorks Podcast.

Barnett lost my respect with his ramblings and complete douchery of sandbagging lower-class (who are up-and-coming) competitors.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah him and Tim Sylvia would be a funny looking fight of the fattys if it ever happens. Although Josh would probably destroy him pretty quickly. But yeah I really cant believe he even entered that event, thats like Michael Jordan going to a 1v1 bball event at a highschool and talking to trash to the kids when he pwns them.
Jordan did do that lol. All in good fun, just like Josh is doing, but I guess everyone here hates Josh...thats cool.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
His response to obtaining his BB...
“They want to know where I got my black belt? I got my black belt from all the other black belts who I’ve passed out and made scream over the years. That’s where I earned it.”
Taken from FightWorks Podcast.
He piled it on a bit high with that one, "I’ve passed out and made scream over the years."

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
hes always looked like a big doucher i just cant like him with that huge chin and jaw line.