BJ Penn vs GSP-The rematch

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
I'm new to this site and just began weightlifting so ive got a bunch of questions on that stuff but thankfully I do know my MMA:yup: I dont know about you guys but im extremely excited for the upcoming fight beetween these two. Bj is my favorite fighter for a number of reasons so im rooting for him. Just curious to see where you guys stand on this fight and who you think will have there hand raised at the end??

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not sure how is see this going. I could see it either way. I could see Penn catching him early, or if it goes late I think GSP will wear him out

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
I'm w/ BJ. All he needs is one solid hit on St. Pierre. It'll take more vice versa.

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
Saying that one or the other has this fight under wraps is a pretty risky statement. They are both extremely talented fighters who have their strengths and weaknesses (tho not many). Its going to be a great fight!

Brother

Brother

Awards
Oh yea, this is gonna be great. Be nice to see a 5 round war..ending in the 5th of cource...by knockout ...by either. Both are great.

Jaegernaut

Jaegernaut

Awards
I don't care who wins I respect them both greatly, I just hope it's a good fight and that it does not go the distance

land0204

Awards
bj penn has been slacking training for this fight while george trains his ass off everyday all day. he used to be a garbage man just to pay for his training while penns fam is one of the richest fam's in hawaii. penn said george is fake and penn said the only thing he has on him is strength while i remember in the first match up pierre took him down numerous times and penn couldnt do ****. penn used to be one of the best but latley hes been a real **** talker and thats not cool. i see george ending it by 3rd. penns cardio better be up to par with george cause george will run his ass dry and gassed quick if not.

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
i agree with you land on the bj sh*t talking but you still gotta give bj credit. the dude is a natural fighter. if bj's cardio is on point i gotta give it to bj if not i think gsp is just gonna chip away at him.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
well!..i have to give my full support to our local boy b.j penn!..because he reps. the 808 state bay-bay!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bj penn has been slacking training for this fight while george trains his ass off everyday all day. he used to be a garbage man just to pay for his training while penns fam is one of the richest fam's in hawaii. penn said george is fake and penn said the only thing he has on him is strength while i remember in the first match up pierre took him down numerous times and penn couldnt do ****. penn used to be one of the best but latley hes been a real **** talker and thats not cool. i see george ending it by 3rd. penns cardio better be up to par with george cause george will run his ass dry and gassed quick if not.
you are basing this on a tv show meant to hype the ight? :rolleyes:

acoz

acoz

Awards
This is a fight I have waited along time to see again they are both great fighters! I see it no different than the first going 5 instead of 3 but GSP IMO will pull off another decision. I don't really care other than it should be a great fight!:smashfreakB:

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Im gonna say bj round 2 tko. For no rational reason other than a hunch.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
you know i gotta root for the island boy. Gsp will have a strength advantage for sure (its his weight class)and the only way i see him winning is with takedowns and control on the ground for a decision or ref stoppage via gnp. BJ will knockout Gsp if the fight remains standing imo. The more it is on the feet the more it goes in BJs favor, BJ by ko or sub.

The UFC primetime special or whatever, you cant really believe what you see ie: BJ on vacation and stuff, that could be all hype you never know. Gsp seems very determined and focused for this fight and i think it could go either way. One thing ive always told my friends, "dont ever bet against bj penn". Its BJs chance to make MMA history the only fighter to hold belts in two weight classes simutaneously.

Ill have my RVCA BJ Penn shirt and fight shorts on!!! CHEEE WHOOOOOOOO!

land0204

Awards
you are basing this on a tv show meant to hype the ight? :rolleyes:

some of it yea but i still know a lot about both fighters, ive benn watchin mma before everyone and there mom started wearin tap-out shirts. i study and train for this and chris lights out lyle which idk if u know who that is trains sometimes at the core in lousiville were i train at and he was just here after his fight agianst marcus davis and he was talkin about how bj penn has done nothing but talk **** so i believe if its from him so yea.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
some of it yea but i still know a lot about both fighters, ive benn watchin mma before everyone and there mom started wearin tap-out shirts. i study and train for this and chris lights out lyle which idk if u know who that is trains sometimes at the core in lousiville were i train at and he was just here after his fight agianst marcus davis and he was talkin about how bj penn has done nothing but talk **** so i believe if its from him so yea.
you are 22 and been watching that long? What were you 7 or 8 at UFC 1?

I do know who Lytle is, however I wouldnt base anything off of the show. When BJ is motivated he is darn hard to beat, and that very well could be the case here.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you are 22 and been watching that long? What were you 7 or 8 at UFC 1?

I do know who Lytle is, however I wouldnt base anything off of the show. When BJ is motivated he is darn hard to beat, and that very well could be the case here.
Also, many fighters start to coast towards the latter parts of their training to allow their bodies to recover. It's called tapering and almost every elite athlete does it before a competition.

land0204

Awards
i never said i was 7 i said ive been watching it long before it got big cause my dad watched it so he got me into it a while ago. anyways off that subject yes i agree with you about bj penn i never said he wasnt a good fighter all im saying stop talkin **** and do it. he is already named one of the greats so you cant put anything past that but gsp i bet has changed his whole fight game around for this one remembering last time were he almost got ko'd so hes gonna be a different fighter this time and prolly isnt wating to do stand that much so bj has to be ready for the takedowns or its gonna be the same fight as last time. thats all im sayin.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Also, many fighters start to coast towards the latter parts of their training to allow their bodies to recover. It's called tapering and almost every elite athlete does it before a competition.
This is the only way to go IMO, lots of guys overtrain these days. Ive seen a few cases of undertraining like shoguns last fight with coleman and other cases where guys gas cause they over trained and peaked too early like rashad vs tito. :swordfight: :pat:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed, I think BJ knows what he is going, I mean hell is is one of the most successful fighters of recent years. I am still torn on this fight. I know Couture picked GSP, but I dont know

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
this is from a sports betting site:

UFC 94 Bet Odds: Georges St. Pierre (GSP) Vs B.J. Penn
Georges St. Pierre - 175
B.J. Penn + 135

Georges St. Pierre is the current favorite at -175 odds meaning that for every $175 bet will payout $100. For a UFC/MMA bet odds tutorial click onMMA Bet Odds Explained. The underdog BJ Penn is a + 135 odds meaning that for every $100 bet on BJ Penn will payout $135. Heavy early betting action has been on BJ Penn moving the betting line in from a December opening line GSP -245/ BJ Penn +175 to the current GSP -175/BJ Penn +135.

UFC 94 Bet Picks/Prediction: Georges St. Pierre Vs B.J. Penn
Take Georges St. Pierre -175. This should be great MMA fight with both fighters able to KO or submit their opponent in a heartbeat. Expect a more tactical fight as both fighters pride themselves on coming up with a fight game plan that is unexpected. Expect 5 round decision win by GSP with superior take downs and grind it out win that will take advantage of GSPs superior cardio over 5 rounds title match. GSP has shown he can take down world class wrestlers in the past in Hughes, Koschek and Fitch and will also be able to take down BJ for points.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Piston,

thanks for the post, but the one thing I disagree with is that GSP can sub BJ. I just cant see that happening

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Piston,

thanks for the post, but the one thing I disagree with is that GSP can sub BJ. I just cant see that happening
me either. where did you see that?

we will see how good BJ's takedown defense is.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
it kind of shocks me to see no canadians in here give in it up for there boy jsp!...i would like to hear from them also,no doubt jsp is also a baddass,so lets hear from the canadians?..come on steve-o,get in here bro.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOL. slick you too much sometimes haha so how is the catch and release going haha.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
LOL. slick you too much sometimes haha so how is the catch and release going haha.
well!..i just signed another contract with the D.L.N.R..im going to be tagging and releasing wild sow's for the state!...LOL....j.k!..im just doing the do!..bro.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
it kind of shocks me to see no canadians in here give in it up for there boy jsp!...i would like to hear from them also,no doubt jsp is also a baddass,so lets hear from the canadians?..come on steve-o,get in here bro.
JSP is a hero for some of my friends, however personally I never got hooked on MMA. It's more from a lack of exposure; I never watched much TV as a kid. Sports and books (Odd combo I know :D )

I would imagine Judgement Day ( http://anabolicminds.com/forum/usp-labs/113560-usp-labs-training.html ) , a fellow Canadian that does MMA, is a massive JSP fan. One of my training partners is as well (It got him into Jujitsu/MMA)

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
JSP is a hero for some of my friends, however personally I never got hooked on MMA. It's more from a lack of exposure; I never watched much TV as a kid. Sports and books (Odd combo I know :D )

I would imagine Judgement Day ( http://anabolicminds.com/forum/usp-labs/113560-usp-labs-training.html ) , a fellow Canadian that does MMA, is a massive JSP fan. One of my training partners is as well (It got him into Jujitsu/MMA)
thanks for your thoughts!..and the link steve-o!

acoz

acoz

Awards
it kind of shocks me to see no canadians in here give in it up for there boy jsp!...i would like to hear from them also,no doubt jsp is also a baddass,so lets hear from the canadians?..GSP A! Sounds Canadian A!:AR15firing:

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i love em both but i am going to root for BJ because he is moving up in weight same would be for gsp if he moved up to fight Anderson

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
i love em both but i am going to root for BJ because he is moving up in weight same would be for gsp if he moved up to fight Anderson
GSP vs. Anderson- now thats a fight I would love to see! are you just using this as an example or is there talk of a matchup?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
GSP vs. Anderson- now thats a fight I would love to see! are you just using this as an example or is there talk of a matchup?
It's been discussed (preliminary, of course) that if GSP wins, then he might fight Andy late this year.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

been some talk it's well known both want a legacy and with spider talking about retiring his manager has said he wants big name mega fights.

the only thing stopping spider from challenging at 205lbs is Lyoto he won't fight Lyoto

acoz

acoz

Awards
GSP -VS- The Spider what a fight that would make! I had read Anderson was thinking of retiring. That would suck! I hope he fights long enough to make his way through the 205 ranks. He just destroyed James Irvin ironic put the "Sand Man" tooooo sleeeeep. :rocketwhore:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BJ is my boy and as much as I want him to win, I'm thinking GSP has a "better" chance at taking it. I'll be rooting and hollering for BJ all the way, but GSP has advanced quite a bit since their last encounter.

Here's hoping for a Penn victory.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I think that from the last fight, when considering both fighters, GSP developed a slight bit more than did BJ. So, considering he won the first one, I'll give the second one to him again.

I'd just look at both Matt Serra bouts for GSP. First one, tittle lost. Second one, destroyed Matt Serra. And both happened after BJ fight. So I'll stick with GSP on this one, and I feel like the only way he may lose is if he gets caught by a punch, which yes, could very well happen, but I still give the overall edge to GSP.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
damn did you guys see the primetime episode last night shows how much both of them really really want this

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it has all the makings of fight of the year, and I truly like both guys. Couture picked GSP

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
it has all the makings of fight of the year, and I truly like both guys. Couture picked GSP
i agree reaper!..btw!..couture picked himself also, when he faught lesner!..LOL..j.k!

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Couture is one of the more accurate analysts (e.g. he picked Gonzaga over CC).
not like the odds are a 1 out of a 100,its either or...did couture know that he was going to lose against lesner?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
not like the odds are a 1 out of a 100,its either or...did couture know that he was going to lose against lesner?
I don't think that someone who knows or even thinks they are losing to the opponent should even step on that octagon... So that's kinda pointless to be asking, he's a fighter, he has a contract, and if he wants to be succesfull he has to think and feel like he's going to win everytime he comes to compete.

But as far as someone who is knowledgeable on the sport, Randy would be on the top of that list IMO.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
I don't think that someone who knows or even thinks they are losing to the opponent should even step on that octagon... So that's kinda pointless to be asking, he's a fighter, he has a contract, and if he wants to be succesfull he has to think and feel like he's going to win everytime he comes to compete.

But as far as someone who is knowledgeable on the sport, Randy would be on the top of that list IMO.
no doubt that randy is very knowledgable on the subject!..but as far as the question that i have asked,it isnt' pointless!..fear envelopes every man,its who ever hides it the best is what sets them apart...there has been fights were people have said i thought he had me for sure,or he really hurt me for a second there...so pointless?..i think not.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Randy has been good however he picked Forrest over Rashad and Wanderlei over Rampage. so......

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well BJ penn is my fav, I like GSP too, but I think GSP is so mentally ****ed up that BJ is gonna land a couple good shots, then GSP is gonna doubt himself which will lead him to his defeat.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
From my preliminary psycological evaluations gsp talks alot about "either i win or i go to the hospital, or i win and go to the hospital"... wierd stuff going on in his head. He talks about bj and what bj does and says.
Bj on the other hand says "im going to win, im going to kill gsp" and while gsp talks about bj, bj talks about bj.

All the focus is on BJ, to the people who arent in the ring, we think its GSP's fight all the way, either to win or lose cause he has the tools and the size.

Coming from the fighters mouths id have to say bj but it just doesnt make sense on paper.