BJ Penn vs GSP-The rematch

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I am Canadian and picking GSP not because of heritage but cause I believe he wins this. I also feel BJ is mouthy and needs to be taught a lesson. I know alot of Canadians feel this way also! It's gonna be wild at the pup that night.

P.S. also really looking forwar to the Machida-Silva fight. I"m for Machida....UD.:smileeek:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many people going with BJ in a sure-fire manner; I think it is the opposite. BJ can realistically only expect to stop Georges on the feet, and that did not happen in the first fight. I think many people are basing their opinion on GSP's suspect chin based off of one fight, and that is, well, a bit suspect. Throughout the UFC, and even back in the UCC/TKO days, GSP's chin has not been an issue - one fight does not a suspect chin make.

Also, BJ destroyed GSP standing in the first round of their first fight, with no avail in terms of a knockdown. He [GSP] did not 'quit', and proceeded to win the next two RDs via TDs and ground control. I think GSP will pass BJ's guard, and BJ's underestimation of how much GSP's wrestling has progressed will haunt him. GSP RD3.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
From my preliminary psycological evaluations gsp talks alot about "either i win or i go to the hospital, or i win and go to the hospital"... wierd stuff going on in his head. He talks about bj and what bj does and says.
Bj on the other hand says "im going to win, im going to kill gsp" and while gsp talks about bj, bj talks about bj.

All the focus is on BJ, to the people who arent in the ring, we think its GSP's fight all the way, either to win or lose cause he has the tools and the size.

Coming from the fighters mouths id have to say bj but it just doesnt make sense on paper.

that's nothing different BJ Always talks about BJ. I've never met GSP but i've met BJ and even had the great pleasure of being invited to train with him. This was years ago when i trained with Charles Ralphs Brother (Bj's first coach) One of the Things that JD says I think is very true GSP is an ATHLETE and a great one. BJ is a FIGHTER

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Many people going with BJ in a sure-fire manner; I think it is the opposite. BJ can realistically only expect to stop Georges on the feet, and that did not happen in the first fight. I think many people are basing their opinion on GSP's suspect chin based off of one fight, and that is, well, a bit suspect. Throughout the UFC, and even back in the UCC/TKO days, GSP's chin has not been an issue - one fight does not a suspect chin make.

Also, BJ destroyed GSP standing in the first round of their first fight, with no avail in terms of a knockdown. He [GSP] did not 'quit', and proceeded to win the next two RDs via TDs and ground control. I think GSP will pass BJ's guard, and BJ's underestimation of how much GSP's wrestling has progressed will haunt him. GSP RD3.

I don't know Mullet first fight GSP never even passed guard on a winded BJ if BJ's cardio is there i don't think GSP can hang in the submission game. i agree on his wrestling though

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know Mullet first fight GSP never even passed guard on a winded BJ if BJ's cardio is there i don't think GSP can hang in the submission game. i agree on his wrestling though
No, he didn't. However, after the Serra fight GSP destroyed the three best wrestlers in the WW division in quick succession - against BJ I GSP's wrestling was good; now, it is probably the best in MMA. I think GSP will be able to use his sheer strength on the ground to gain dominant positions on BJ in the later rounds.

I will bet you a rep Mixedup that GSP will pass BJ's guard.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, he didn't. However, after the Serra fight GSP destroyed the three best wrestlers in the WW division in quick succession - against BJ I GSP's wrestling was good; now, it is probably the best in MMA. I think GSP will be able to use his sheer strength on the ground to gain dominant positions on BJ in the later rounds.

I have to sadly agree with Mulletsailor, but I'm hoping it won't be too detrimental, as I am rooting for a Penn Victory.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
dang!.what a great hype for this fight gentlemen.i like the pts. from both corners here.tommorrow the show starts!..i can imagine the great anticipation gentlemen!..what a match-up!

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

You got it Mullet. Either way this is gonna be one HELL of a Fight i loved the primetime specials. The music with Rashad coming into the gym and the last man standing song at the end. I wish i knew what songs those were

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i gotta say being in hawaii you will find alot more BJ fans than GSP but there are alot betting on GSP. THat has to tell you something, GSP is the no brainer favorite in this fight. I think somebody is gonna be surprised by the other fighter, and ground dominance is the deciding factor. This fight doesnt get out of the 3rd round. If GSP wins i hope he doesnt put a huge whooping on Penn or there will be alot of haoles in waikiki getting what GSP shouldve got...."throw in the towel for GSP, save the haoles in hawaii!!!" LOL.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i gotta say being in hawaii you will find alot more BJ fans than GSP but there are alot betting on GSP. THat has to tell you something, GSP is the no brainer favorite in this fight. I think somebody is gonna be surprised by the other fighter, and ground dominance is the deciding factor. This fight doesnt get out of the 3rd round. If GSP wins i hope he doesnt put a huge whooping on Penn or there will be alot of haoles in waikiki getting what GSP shouldve got...."throw in the towel for GSP, save the haoles in hawaii!!!" LOL.
That's effing hilarious

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I feel BJ won the 1st round largely because GSP got thumbed in the eye. GSP quickly poured it on in the 2nd & 3rd. He will continue pouring it on in this next fight. He had tenacious determination to be the best champion.

GSP vs Silva however....I feel GSP will get owned!:feedback:

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Hands down Anderson Silva is the best fighter in the UFC

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
bwahahahahaha!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What did I say, dammit? Passed his guard TWICE in one round.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
....and again....what guard? Where is Flobot?

Jaegernaut

Jaegernaut

Awards
Penn has a great guard but this is the best I have ever seen GSP he was totally dominating man he looked good.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What the **** did I say? Flobot, where are you?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Penn has a great guard but this is the best I have ever seen GSP he was totally dominating man he looked good.
His guard was a non-factor bro. As I said earlier, GSP passed it with complete ease, took BJ down at will, and the fight was never close - not for a second. As a Canadian, and after perfectly predicting the fight, I will take a minute to gloat.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
His guard was a non-factor bro. As I said earlier, GSP passed it with complete ease, took BJ down at will, and the fight was never close - not for a second. As a Canadian, and after perfectly predicting the fight, I will take a minute to gloat.

Damn canadians and brazilians kickin' everyone's ass. :buttkick:

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So much for BJ saying GSP is the quitter, when BJ quit.....

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
BJ Penn totally OUTCLASSED at standup and on the ground. Finally silenced that mouth of his. Same with Lyoto haters! He is a Master at his art who acutally uses it in the cage. I love that guy!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
GSP just used superior strength to do what he pleased, I still give props to a guy going up in weight to fight the best. I feel ive lost some respect for BJ at this point i mean his brother was the one who threw in the towel but BJ already quit long time ago. When i saw him turn his back in the corner after i believe the third round, that to me was just him not wanting to be in there. He wasnt even fighting anymore, i think he was nervous or scared before even getting in the ring. GSP is just to strong at that weight, he's huge at 170. Id like to see him move up in weight to fight anderson silva after the thiago fight.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
GSP just used superior strength to do what he pleased, I still give props to a guy going up in weight to fight the best. I feel ive lost some respect for BJ at this point i mean his brother was the one who threw in the towel but BJ already quit long time ago. When i saw him turn his back in the corner after i believe the third round, that to me was just him not wanting to be in there. He wasnt even fighting anymore, i think he was nervous or scared before even getting in the ring. GSP is just to strong at that weight, he's huge at 170. Id like to see him move up in weight to fight anderson silva after the thiago fight.
It looked like BJ caught the Ortiz Fear by the end of the first. The look on BJ's face reminded me of the Lidell/Ortiz fights. Damn.... that one hurt.

As a long time hater of Machida's Dodgejitsu, I have to hand it to him. He had a very nice blend of defense AND offense, I didn't feel like I was watching two guys playing freeze tag. His style is too dangerous because it demands too much patience.

back to BJ.... damn......

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
I always feel hardwork takes you farther than pure ability.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
major props to GSP for totally dominating the fight. In essence this is a good thing as BJ stays at 155. GSP wil lhave to fight Alves then maybe Anderson.

Also, give Lyoto the title shot damn it!!!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lyoto vs Evans, i want to see that fight....even Alves vs GSP, i think Alves can hang with GSP physically at least and its interesting to see how that one would go. At least BJ still has his 155lb belt, idk who would be the next challenger for him.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
at 155 it will be Florian, who I cant see lasting more than 2 rounds. I pity whoever BJ fights next. My hope is the UFC takes some cash to bring in some other big 155lbers to challenege Penn.
In terms of GSP, Alves is it. There is no one at 170 IMO who is a legit challenger, however idk what he would do against Anderson at 185, besides probably getting ktfo

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
at 155 it will be Florian, who I cant see lasting more than 2 rounds. I pity whoever BJ fights next. My hope is the UFC takes some cash to bring in some other big 155lbers to challenege Penn.
In terms of GSP, Alves is it. There is no one at 170 IMO who is a legit challenger, however idk what he would do against Anderson at 185, besides probably getting ktfo
Alves is already too intimidated by GSP to pose a legitimate threat - you could clearly see his fear/respect/intimidation after his domination of BJ. He has the physical tools to make it an interesting fight [hypothetically], but GSP will dominate him.

I doubt GSP would lose that handily against Anderson, as well; there is really nothing to indicate that. Anderson is amazing, there is nobody denying that, but he has cleared out the weakest and most uncompetitive division in MMA. The fight would be far more interesting and close than you make it out to be.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alves is already too intimidated by GSP to pose a legitimate threat - you could clearly see his fear/respect/intimidation after his domination of BJ. He has the physical tools to make it an interesting fight [hypothetically], but GSP will dominate him.

I doubt GSP would lose that handily against Anderson, as well; there is really nothing to indicate that. Anderson is amazing, there is nobody denying that, but he has cleared out the weakest and most uncompetitive division in MMA. The fight would be far more interesting and close than you make it out to be.
I agree that Alves has the tools, but I also doubt he wins. I think there is little left at 170 for GSP.

In terms of Anderson v. GSP I doubt it goes too long. To me Anderson is better at everything outside of wrestling. He is a crisper striker imo, his bjj is on the same level if not better and he is going to be too big. That is nothing against GSP at all, I dont know how many at 205 could beat Anderson. However saying 185 is that bad is silly. To me it just showed how much better Anderson was than everyone else. I know people turn to the Cote fight, however the same could be said about GSP and the first Serra fight. I personally would love to see Anderson go 205 permanently and GSP to 185 permanently. WOuld make things more competitive imo

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
In terms of Anderson v. GSP I doubt it goes too long. To me Anderson is better at everything outside of wrestling. He is a crisper striker imo, his bjj is on the same level if not better
This argument sounds familiar. I believe it was the exact set of arguments most put forward for the Penn/GSP II. GSP peppered BJ on the feet setting up his TDs, and absolutely destroyed BJ on the ground.

The size difference would be negligible, IMO. It is probable that GSP could cut from ~200 for that fight, considering he cuts from ~185 to make WW.

That is nothing against GSP at all, I dont know how many at 205 could beat Anderson. However saying 185 is that bad is silly.
Ah, I see. I would be interested in your reasoning on how any one division is any weaker than 185. It is unequivocally the worst.

To me it just showed how much better Anderson was than everyone else. I know people turn to the Cote fight, however the same could be said about GSP and the first Serra fight. I personally would love to see Anderson go 205 permanently and GSP to 185 permanently. WOuld make things more competitive imo
I agree it showed how much better he was than everyone else, in an incredibly weak division. His wins in the UFC have been Leben, Franklin (x2), Nate, Henderson, Lutter, Irvin and Cote.

Out of all those fighters, Marquardt, Franklin, and Henderson are who I would consider true contenders, which he truly did dominate. Lutter on the other hand pushed him handily, Cote was winning that fight, and Leben is obviously a complete joke. You could make the case GSP has only been pushed once - against BJ Penn, a perennial contender in the Top Five P4P rankings. That first round was the first he had lost in the UFC, and he really did not lose another. He had a flash-fluke KO against Serra.

I understand where you're coming from, but you are mystifying Anderson - which in most cases may be justified - whereas the fight would be competitive. Henderson showed he can be taken down, but Hendo simply had a poor game-plan and was not competent enough on the ground. Anderson has never faced a synthesis of [world-class] wrestling, striking, and ground competency.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
On a side note, did anybody notice Gomi and Kid in attendance?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This argument sounds familiar. I believe it was the exact set of arguments most put forward for the Penn/GSP II. GSP peppered BJ on the feet setting up his TDs, and absolutely destroyed BJ on the ground.
He most certainly did, however the size difference between BJ and Anderson is substantial

GSP is big for 170, in fact very big. However at 185 he wouldnt be close to being big. However I think his athleticism would get him by most guys there.

Out of all those fighters, Marquardt, Franklin, and Henderson are who I would consider true contenders, which he truly did dominate. Lutter on the other hand pushed him handily, Cote was winning that fight, and Leben is obviously a complete joke. You could make the case GSP has only been pushed once - against BJ Penn, a perennial contender in the Top Five P4P rankings. That first round was the first he had lost in the UFC, and he really did not lose another. He had a flash-fluke KO against Serra.
the Serra 1 fight was a fluke, but he panicked quickly. Also <if we want to go back> to the first Huges fight, he lost there as well. I try not to use that one, but by his own admission mentally he was not prepared. Remember the Lutter fight, Anderson was just out of knee surgery, or getting ready for it (I forget, honestly)

wrestling, striking, and ground competency.
Not trying to mystify him at all, I just think the fight would be reminiscent of last night, except with the reverse outcome.

I truly respect GSP, and never expected the dominance that I saw last night, however, there are too many tools he would be facing against anderson

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I truly respect GSP, and never expected the dominance that I saw last night, however, there are too many tools he would be facing against anderson
Could be, though it is highly doubtful. Again, as I said above, there were even individuals in this thread who put forward the exact same argument for GSP/Penn II. I do not buy the, "BJ moved up a weight class" premise in any sense: BJ moved to 205 and gave Machida trouble.

GSP is long enough and an accurate enough striker to stave off damage from Anderson; his wrestling is far better than anybody Anderson has faced, and would score him TDs; and I believe he would be able to GnP once it hit the ground.

We can always bet $100 on the fight, though. It would add to my collection of winnings from "fighters that were better than GSP in all aspects aside from wrestling".

;)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could be, though it is highly doubtful. Again, as I said above, there were even individuals in this thread who put forward the exact same argument for GSP/Penn II. I do not buy the, "BJ moved up a weight class" premise in any sense: BJ moved to 205 and gave Machida trouble.

GSP is long enough and an accurate enough striker to stave off damage from Anderson; his wrestling is far better than anybody Anderson has faced, and would score him TDs; and I believe he would be able to GnP once it hit the ground.

We can always bet $100 on the fight, though. It would add to my collection of winnings from "fighters that were better than GSP in all aspects aside from wrestling".

;)
If and when that fight comes to fruition, I am in on that bet.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just as an fyi, GSP in an interview with yahoo said he walks only at 188. If that is so (right from the horses mouth) the size differential will be very large

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else felt like Guida did NOTHING to diserve that decision win?

I personally found it RIDICULOUS. He did NOTHING the entire fight. I don't think he ever landed a punch. All he did was hold him, hold him some more, then hold him more. He took NO advantage of any positions, he never tried to progress in the fight, all he did was hug Diaz, who on the other hand was just landing punches, doing transitions, taking him down, sweeping, etc.

Guida controlled the ring but he did nothing besides that. Nothing at all.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone else felt like Guida did NOTHING to diserve that decision win?

I personally found it RIDICULOUS. He did NOTHING the entire fight. I don't think he ever landed a punch. All he did was hold him, hold him some more, then hold him more. He took NO advantage of any positions, he never tried to progress in the fight, all he did was hug Diaz, who on the other hand was just landing punches, doing transitions, taking him down, sweeping, etc.

Guida controlled the ring but he did nothing besides that. Nothing at all.
My only beef was with Karo's decision win.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I wasn't too sure about that one either, seemed to me like it was going to be an "easy" one after the fight.

But I just think that UFC should be awarding victories to people who are doing the most, not for the ones who are preventing their opponents from doing anything while not doing any damage themselves. That's what I found ridiculous. The better man didn't win, the most aggresive didn't win, the guy who won was the one who tried to not let an actual fight happen. Horrible IMHO.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
just as an fyi, GSP in an interview with yahoo said he walks only at 188. If that is so (right from the horses mouth) the size differential will be very large
Of course, as fighters never deliberately gain weight for a fight in a higher weight-class. He walks around at 188 for welterweight. If the fight took place, he would surely gain at least several pounds and cut down.

:rolleyes:

:buttkick:

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established

;)

I totally agree and would add I've never seen GSP more focused and determined. He is intellingent, trains with the best.... and probably outworks, outsmarts and out-gameplans almost everyone out there. As of now he is 100% determined to be the best. His determination is very inspiring & motivating. I haven't been this motivated since the 1st Rocky movies came out watching Sylvester running and drinking those raw eggs. Just thinking of GSP training gives me goosebumps.

P.S. I am not a GSP nuthugger! Just calling it the way I see it.

Loved Machida's mastery the best!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Of course, as fighters never deliberately gain weight for a fight in a higher weight-class. He walks around at 188 for welterweight. If the fight took place, he would surely gain at least several pounds and cut down.

:rolleyes:

:buttkick:
That is great and all, however he better have other fights at 185 to get used to the weight,not jump in and fight the best in the world :rolleyes:

land0204

Awards
That is great and all, however he better have other fights at 185 to get used to the weight,not jump in and fight the best in the world :rolleyes:
i agree with reaper in those one, if he goes up weight he should def fight a few before steppin to anderson. dont get me wrong i would love to see that fight just like the whole world does but its not time for that for either one of them. gsp if goes up has to get used to fighting heavier fighters before going all out. it would prolly be the biggest fight ever but i dont see it happing for a while. off the subject a miin but did you all hear this crap about jackson vs jardean. wtf who gives two shits bout that fight, jardean got ko'd by silvia, jackson ko'd jardean so what dumshit reason is this fight happeining. dont get me wrong jardean is a warrior and beat forrest a long time ago but if they fought forrest would prolly domaniate. this fight to me is useless paperview. jus wanted to add that. but i give it to penn for not tappin out, he's a lot better at 155.