BJ Penn vs GSP-The rematch

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.46%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I always feel hardwork takes you farther than pure ability.
    doing my own thang!

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

major props to GSP for totally dominating the fight. In essence this is a good thing as BJ stays at 155. GSP wil lhave to fight Alves then maybe Anderson.

Also, give Lyoto the title shot damn it!!!
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  3. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Lyoto vs Evans, i want to see that fight....even Alves vs GSP, i think Alves can hang with GSP physically at least and its interesting to see how that one would go. At least BJ still has his 155lb belt, idk who would be the next challenger for him.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

at 155 it will be Florian, who I cant see lasting more than 2 rounds. I pity whoever BJ fights next. My hope is the UFC takes some cash to bring in some other big 155lbers to challenege Penn.
    In terms of GSP, Alves is it. There is no one at 170 IMO who is a legit challenger, however idk what he would do against Anderson at 185, besides probably getting ktfo
  5. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.22%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    at 155 it will be Florian, who I cant see lasting more than 2 rounds. I pity whoever BJ fights next. My hope is the UFC takes some cash to bring in some other big 155lbers to challenege Penn.
    In terms of GSP, Alves is it. There is no one at 170 IMO who is a legit challenger, however idk what he would do against Anderson at 185, besides probably getting ktfo
    Alves is already too intimidated by GSP to pose a legitimate threat - you could clearly see his fear/respect/intimidation after his domination of BJ. He has the physical tools to make it an interesting fight [hypothetically], but GSP will dominate him.

I doubt GSP would lose that handily against Anderson, as well; there is really nothing to indicate that. Anderson is amazing, there is nobody denying that, but he has cleared out the weakest and most uncompetitive division in MMA. The fight would be far more interesting and close than you make it out to be.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Alves is already too intimidated by GSP to pose a legitimate threat - you could clearly see his fear/respect/intimidation after his domination of BJ. He has the physical tools to make it an interesting fight [hypothetically], but GSP will dominate him.

I doubt GSP would lose that handily against Anderson, as well; there is really nothing to indicate that. Anderson is amazing, there is nobody denying that, but he has cleared out the weakest and most uncompetitive division in MMA. The fight would be far more interesting and close than you make it out to be.
    I agree that Alves has the tools, but I also doubt he wins. I think there is little left at 170 for GSP.

In terms of Anderson v. GSP I doubt it goes too long. To me Anderson is better at everything outside of wrestling. He is a crisper striker imo, his bjj is on the same level if not better and he is going to be too big. That is nothing against GSP at all, I dont know how many at 205 could beat Anderson. However saying 185 is that bad is silly. To me it just showed how much better Anderson was than everyone else. I know people turn to the Cote fight, however the same could be said about GSP and the first Serra fight. I personally would love to see Anderson go 205 permanently and GSP to 185 permanently. WOuld make things more competitive imo
  7. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.22%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

In terms of Anderson v. GSP I doubt it goes too long. To me Anderson is better at everything outside of wrestling. He is a crisper striker imo, his bjj is on the same level if not better
    This argument sounds familiar. I believe it was the exact set of arguments most put forward for the Penn/GSP II. GSP peppered BJ on the feet setting up his TDs, and absolutely destroyed BJ on the ground.

The size difference would be negligible, IMO. It is probable that GSP could cut from ~200 for that fight, considering he cuts from ~185 to make WW.

That is nothing against GSP at all, I dont know how many at 205 could beat Anderson. However saying 185 is that bad is silly.
    Ah, I see. I would be interested in your reasoning on how any one division is any weaker than 185. It is unequivocally the worst.

To me it just showed how much better Anderson was than everyone else. I know people turn to the Cote fight, however the same could be said about GSP and the first Serra fight. I personally would love to see Anderson go 205 permanently and GSP to 185 permanently. WOuld make things more competitive imo
    I agree it showed how much better he was than everyone else, in an incredibly weak division. His wins in the UFC have been Leben, Franklin (x2), Nate, Henderson, Lutter, Irvin and Cote.

Out of all those fighters, Marquardt, Franklin, and Henderson are who I would consider true contenders, which he truly did dominate. Lutter on the other hand pushed him handily, Cote was winning that fight, and Leben is obviously a complete joke. You could make the case GSP has only been pushed once - against BJ Penn, a perennial contender in the Top Five P4P rankings. That first round was the first he had lost in the UFC, and he really did not lose another. He had a flash-fluke KO against Serra.

I understand where you're coming from, but you are mystifying Anderson - which in most cases may be justified - whereas the fight would be competitive. Henderson showed he can be taken down, but Hendo simply had a poor game-plan and was not competent enough on the ground. Anderson has never faced a synthesis of [world-class] wrestling, striking, and ground competency.
  8. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.22%

On a side note, did anybody notice Gomi and Kid in attendance?
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%

This argument sounds familiar. I believe it was the exact set of arguments most put forward for the Penn/GSP II. GSP peppered BJ on the feet setting up his TDs, and absolutely destroyed BJ on the ground.
    He most certainly did, however the size difference between BJ and Anderson is substantial

[QUOTE=Mulletsoldier;1784915The size difference would be negligible, IMO. It is probable that GSP could cut from ~200 for that fight, considering he cuts from ~185 to make WW. [/QUOTE] GSP is big for 170, in fact very big. However at 185 he wouldnt be close to being big. However I think his athleticism would get him by most guys there.

[QUOTE=Mulletsoldier;1784915Ah, I see. I would be interested in your reasoning on how any one division is any weaker than 185. It is unequivocally the worst. I agree it showed how much better he was than everyone else, in an incredibly weak division. His wins in the UFC have been Leben, Franklin (x2), Nate, Henderson, Lutter, Irvin and Cote. [/QUOTE]

Out of all those fighters, Marquardt, Franklin, and Henderson are who I would consider true contenders, which he truly did dominate. Lutter on the other hand pushed him handily, Cote was winning that fight, and Leben is obviously a complete joke. You could make the case GSP has only been pushed once - against BJ Penn, a perennial contender in the Top Five P4P rankings. That first round was the first he had lost in the UFC, and he really did not lose another. He had a flash-fluke KO against Serra.
    the Serra 1 fight was a fluke, but he panicked quickly. Also <if we want to go back> to the first Huges fight, he lost there as well. I try not to use that one, but by his own admission mentally he was not prepared. Remember the Lutter fight, Anderson was just out of knee surgery, or getting ready for it (I forget, honestly)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier;1784915I understand where you're coming from, but you are mystifying Anderson - which in most cases may be justified - whereas the fight would be competitive. Henderson showed he can be taken down, but Hendo simply had a poor game-plan and was not competent enough on the ground. Anderson has never faced a synthesis of [world-class
    wrestling, striking, and ground competency.
    Not trying to mystify him at all, I just think the fight would be reminiscent of last night, except with the reverse outcome.

I truly respect GSP, and never expected the dominance that I saw last night, however, there are too many tools he would be facing against anderson
  10. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.22%

I truly respect GSP, and never expected the dominance that I saw last night, however, there are too many tools he would be facing against anderson
    Could be, though it is highly doubtful. Again, as I said above, there were even individuals in this thread who put forward the exact same argument for GSP/Penn II. I do not buy the, "BJ moved up a weight class" premise in any sense: BJ moved to 205 and gave Machida trouble.

GSP is long enough and an accurate enough striker to stave off damage from Anderson; his wrestling is far better than anybody Anderson has faced, and would score him TDs; and I believe he would be able to GnP once it hit the ground.

We can always bet $100 on the fight, though. It would add to my collection of winnings from "fighters that were better than GSP in all aspects aside from wrestling".

11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%

Could be, though it is highly doubtful. Again, as I said above, there were even individuals in this thread who put forward the exact same argument for GSP/Penn II. I do not buy the, "BJ moved up a weight class" premise in any sense: BJ moved to 205 and gave Machida trouble.

GSP is long enough and an accurate enough striker to stave off damage from Anderson; his wrestling is far better than anybody Anderson has faced, and would score him TDs; and I believe he would be able to GnP once it hit the ground.

We can always bet $100 on the fight, though. It would add to my collection of winnings from "fighters that were better than GSP in all aspects aside from wrestling".

If and when that fight comes to fruition, I am in on that bet.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%

just as an fyi, GSP in an interview with yahoo said he walks only at 188. If that is so (right from the horses mouth) the size differential will be very large
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.4%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

On a side note, did anybody notice Gomi and Kid in attendance?
    Did not notice Gomi
    NSCA - CSCS
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Anyone else felt like Guida did NOTHING to diserve that decision win?

I personally found it RIDICULOUS. He did NOTHING the entire fight. I don't think he ever landed a punch. All he did was hold him, hold him some more, then hold him more. He took NO advantage of any positions, he never tried to progress in the fight, all he did was hug Diaz, who on the other hand was just landing punches, doing transitions, taking him down, sweeping, etc.

Guida controlled the ring but he did nothing besides that. Nothing at all.
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.4%

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post

I personally found it RIDICULOUS. He did NOTHING the entire fight. I don't think he ever landed a punch. All he did was hold him, hold him some more, then hold him more. He took NO advantage of any positions, he never tried to progress in the fight, all he did was hug Diaz, who on the other hand was just landing punches, doing transitions, taking him down, sweeping, etc.

My only beef was with Karo's decision win.
    NSCA - CSCS
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.06%

I wasn't too sure about that one either, seemed to me like it was going to be an "easy" one after the fight.

But I just think that UFC should be awarding victories to people who are doing the most, not for the ones who are preventing their opponents from doing anything while not doing any damage themselves. That's what I found ridiculous. The better man didn't win, the most aggresive didn't win, the guy who won was the one who tried to not let an actual fight happen. Horrible IMHO.
  17. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.22%

just as an fyi, GSP in an interview with yahoo said he walks only at 188. If that is so (right from the horses mouth) the size differential will be very large
    Of course, as fighters never deliberately gain weight for a fight in a higher weight-class. He walks around at 188 for welterweight. If the fight took place, he would surely gain at least several pounds and cut down.

18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.47%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I totally agree and would add I've never seen GSP more focused and determined. He is intellingent, trains with the best.... and probably outworks, outsmarts and out-gameplans almost everyone out there. As of now he is 100% determined to be the best. His determination is very inspiring & motivating. I haven't been this motivated since the 1st Rocky movies came out watching Sylvester running and drinking those raw eggs. Just thinking of GSP training gives me goosebumps.

P.S. I am not a GSP nuthugger! Just calling it the way I see it.

Loved Machida's mastery the best!
  19. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%

Of course, as fighters never deliberately gain weight for a fight in a higher weight-class. He walks around at 188 for welterweight. If the fight took place, he would surely gain at least several pounds and cut down.

That is great and all, however he better have other fights at 185 to get used to the weight,not jump in and fight the best in the world
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.76%

That is great and all, however he better have other fights at 185 to get used to the weight,not jump in and fight the best in the world
    i agree with reaper in those one, if he goes up weight he should def fight a few before steppin to anderson. dont get me wrong i would love to see that fight just like the whole world does but its not time for that for either one of them. gsp if goes up has to get used to fighting heavier fighters before going all out. it would prolly be the biggest fight ever but i dont see it happing for a while. off the subject a miin but did you all hear this crap about jackson vs jardean. wtf who gives two ****s bout that fight, jardean got ko'd by silvia, jackson ko'd jardean so what dum**** reason is this fight happeining. dont get me wrong jardean is a warrior and beat forrest a long time ago but if they fought forrest would prolly domaniate. this fight to me is useless paperview. jus wanted to add that. but i give it to penn for not tappin out, he's a lot better at 155.
  21. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.1%

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post

I'm happy diaz lost.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.6%

Oh no you di'in't!
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.6%

Also, I was seriously impressed with John "Bones" Jones! That kid's (hopefully) gonna be a force to reckon with. That spinning elbow was sick!
  24. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%

He is only 21 right?
  25. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.42%

There's a bunch of my friends that are quite happy about the GSP win; I only caught snippits of it but most guys around here were watching it.
  26. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

That karo decision was garbage i cant stand that cocky crybaby prick.

Jones was completely molesting Bonner in the first round, like real bad rapage imo. He gassed early tho, Bonner shouldnt be in the UFC.

Its funny how BJ jumps from weight classes to fight the best but when we talk about GSP jumping weight class its more of a cautious deal where we have to work him into the class....thats not pound for pound. Im sure A. Silva would jump to a weight class to fight the best if given the chance....so why not GSP?

Im glad Diaz lost, he was landing punches if you want to call them that. The kid couldnt hurt my grandma come on those were like open handed sparring strikes.
  27. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

IMO GSP gets KOed by Silva but my opinion means nothing
  28. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.1%

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    Agreed Silva would beat his ass
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.72%

The fight was absolutely amazing! From start to finish GSP DOMINATED.
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Fight pretty much went as expected. However, GSP seemed very apprehensive to stand in the first round. BJ showed real good take down defense on that round too. However, GSP just took over came second round and really got aggressive. BJ does not have the stamina at that weight, and he clearly stopped fighting and just started defending at some point in the fight after getting tired.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.6%

Jones was completely molesting Bonner in the first round, like real bad rapage imo. He gassed early tho, Bonner shouldnt be in the UFC.
    I was thinking the same thing, WRT hopefully seeing Bonnar for the last time!
  32. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%

I agree. I also would love to see it happen, however, I think GSP needs a few fights at 185 before fighting Anderson, or else it will be a long night
  33. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    Fight pretty much went as expected. However, GSP seemed very apprehensive to stand in the first round. BJ showed real good take down defense on that round too. However, GSP just took over came second round and really got aggressive. BJ does not have the stamina at that weight, and he clearly stopped fighting and just started defending at some point in the fight after getting tired.
    thats why i believe GSP won with his superior strength, he was clearly just wearing down Penn in the clinch against the fence, dude has some massive legs! I was thinking BJ mustve been thinking in his head "damn this dude is strong" thats what broke his spirit imo and thats how GSP made BJ fight his fight, pure physical advantage even with the heavier Penn showing his speed at that weight.
    I agree. I also would love to see it happen, however, I think GSP needs a few fights at 185 before fighting Anderson, or else it will be a long night
    lol, long night indeed. Doesnt Silva have some KO's from opponents shooting for takedowns?
  34. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.27%

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    So much for BJ saying GSP is the quitter, when BJ quit.....

He didn't quit. Dr looked at him and his corner stopped it. Not saying he didn't get beat I gotta give it to GSP he is a hell of a fighter but did you see all those hits GSP was landing right on BJ's head and BJ still didn't tap??? that was a hell of a beating. GSP was just too Big and thats not a knock on GSP. Now I can see why my coach want's to cut down more.
  35. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.27%

Im glad Diaz lost, he was landing punches if you want to call them that. The kid couldnt hurt my grandma come on those were like open handed sparring strikes.
    I know we rarely disagree but trust me those punches got something behind them. (Remember who's flag i fly LOL)
  36. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.22%

It did not appear as if the Doctor mandated the fight be stopped, as his brother ultimately made the call it seems.
  37. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.27%

It did not appear as if the Doctor mandated the fight be stopped, as his brother ultimately made the call it seems.

Oh yeah i agree corner made the call but not BJ himself even when he was getting wailed on HARD he didn't tap. I mean GSP had him in a type of cruifix at one point and was just landing clean shots to his head and he kept going. I think GSP is just an animal at Welterweight he deserved it
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I think they were referring to his will to fight. Like I said, he stopped attacking at some point. I would imagine that having his guard not only nullified but passed with ease was probably the most frustrating experience for BJ.
  39. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.45%

whats up peoples?..no links yet?..LOL...
    board supporter
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.6%

Exactly! And no one knows what BJ was saying. He may have said to throw the towel in. With all his power, it seems odd that GSP wasn't able to take him out during the round.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Nogueria Calls for Rematch with Frank Mir
    By VolcomX311 in forum MMA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 11:01 AM
  2. Noguiera/Barnett rematch NYE
    By Alexander in forum MMA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 12:29 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 01:13 AM
  4. Contender Rematch