BJ Penn vs GSP-The rematch

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
  1. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

i gotta say being in hawaii you will find alot more BJ fans than GSP but there are alot betting on GSP. THat has to tell you something, GSP is the no brainer favorite in this fight. I think somebody is gonna be surprised by the other fighter, and ground dominance is the deciding factor. This fight doesnt get out of the 3rd round. If GSP wins i hope he doesnt put a huge whooping on Penn or there will be alot of haoles in waikiki getting what GSP shouldve got...."throw in the towel for GSP, save the haoles in hawaii!!!" LOL.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    i gotta say being in hawaii you will find alot more BJ fans than GSP but there are alot betting on GSP. THat has to tell you something, GSP is the no brainer favorite in this fight. I think somebody is gonna be surprised by the other fighter, and ground dominance is the deciding factor. This fight doesnt get out of the 3rd round. If GSP wins i hope he doesnt put a huge whooping on Penn or there will be alot of haoles in waikiki getting what GSP shouldve got...."throw in the towel for GSP, save the haoles in hawaii!!!" LOL.
    That's effing hilarious
    NSCA - CSCS
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.

I feel BJ won the 1st round largely because GSP got thumbed in the eye. GSP quickly poured it on in the 2nd & 3rd. He will continue pouring it on in this next fight. He had tenacious determination to be the best champion.

GSP vs Silva however....I feel GSP will get owned!
    •   

4. Registered User

Hands down Anderson Silva is the best fighter in the UFC
    doing my own thang!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.

bwahahahahaha!
    board supporter
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
    Hands down Anderson Silva is the best fighter in the UFC
    Hard to tell since he fights in the thinnest division in MMA.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.

Which is the site with the live streams?
  8. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

What did I say, dammit? Passed his guard TWICE in one round.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.

GSP is dominating the fight
  10. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

....and again....what guard? Where is Flobot?
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.

Penn has a great guard but this is the best I have ever seen GSP he was totally dominating man he looked good.
  12. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

What the **** did I say? Flobot, where are you?
  13. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegernaut View Post
    Penn has a great guard but this is the best I have ever seen GSP he was totally dominating man he looked good.
    His guard was a non-factor bro. As I said earlier, GSP passed it with complete ease, took BJ down at will, and the fight was never close - not for a second. As a Canadian, and after perfectly predicting the fight, I will take a minute to gloat.
  14. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    His guard was a non-factor bro. As I said earlier, GSP passed it with complete ease, took BJ down at will, and the fight was never close - not for a second. As a Canadian, and after perfectly predicting the fight, I will take a minute to gloat.

Damn canadians and brazilians kickin' everyone's ass.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

So much for BJ saying GSP is the quitter, when BJ quit.....
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.

BJ Penn totally OUTCLASSED at standup and on the ground. Finally silenced that mouth of his. Same with Lyoto haters! He is a Master at his art who acutally uses it in the cage. I love that guy!
  17. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    So much for BJ saying GSP is the quitter, when BJ quit.....
    Poetic justice, eh?
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Sure is lol :P
  19. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

GSP just used superior strength to do what he pleased, I still give props to a guy going up in weight to fight the best. I feel ive lost some respect for BJ at this point i mean his brother was the one who threw in the towel but BJ already quit long time ago. When i saw him turn his back in the corner after i believe the third round, that to me was just him not wanting to be in there. He wasnt even fighting anymore, i think he was nervous or scared before even getting in the ring. GSP is just to strong at that weight, he's huge at 170. Id like to see him move up in weight to fight anderson silva after the thiago fight.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

GSP just used superior strength to do what he pleased, I still give props to a guy going up in weight to fight the best. I feel ive lost some respect for BJ at this point i mean his brother was the one who threw in the towel but BJ already quit long time ago. When i saw him turn his back in the corner after i believe the third round, that to me was just him not wanting to be in there. He wasnt even fighting anymore, i think he was nervous or scared before even getting in the ring. GSP is just to strong at that weight, he's huge at 170. Id like to see him move up in weight to fight anderson silva after the thiago fight.
    It looked like BJ caught the Ortiz Fear by the end of the first. The look on BJ's face reminded me of the Lidell/Ortiz fights. Damn.... that one hurt.

As a long time hater of Machida's Dodgejitsu, I have to hand it to him. He had a very nice blend of defense AND offense, I didn't feel like I was watching two guys playing freeze tag. His style is too dangerous because it demands too much patience.

back to BJ.... damn......
    NSCA - CSCS
  21. Registered User

I always feel hardwork takes you farther than pure ability.
    doing my own thang!
  22. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

major props to GSP for totally dominating the fight. In essence this is a good thing as BJ stays at 155. GSP wil lhave to fight Alves then maybe Anderson.

Also, give Lyoto the title shot damn it!!!
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  23. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Lyoto vs Evans, i want to see that fight....even Alves vs GSP, i think Alves can hang with GSP physically at least and its interesting to see how that one would go. At least BJ still has his 155lb belt, idk who would be the next challenger for him.
  24. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

at 155 it will be Florian, who I cant see lasting more than 2 rounds. I pity whoever BJ fights next. My hope is the UFC takes some cash to bring in some other big 155lbers to challenege Penn.
    In terms of GSP, Alves is it. There is no one at 170 IMO who is a legit challenger, however idk what he would do against Anderson at 185, besides probably getting ktfo
  25. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    at 155 it will be Florian, who I cant see lasting more than 2 rounds. I pity whoever BJ fights next. My hope is the UFC takes some cash to bring in some other big 155lbers to challenege Penn.
    In terms of GSP, Alves is it. There is no one at 170 IMO who is a legit challenger, however idk what he would do against Anderson at 185, besides probably getting ktfo
    Alves is already too intimidated by GSP to pose a legitimate threat - you could clearly see his fear/respect/intimidation after his domination of BJ. He has the physical tools to make it an interesting fight [hypothetically], but GSP will dominate him.

I doubt GSP would lose that handily against Anderson, as well; there is really nothing to indicate that. Anderson is amazing, there is nobody denying that, but he has cleared out the weakest and most uncompetitive division in MMA. The fight would be far more interesting and close than you make it out to be.
  26. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Alves is already too intimidated by GSP to pose a legitimate threat - you could clearly see his fear/respect/intimidation after his domination of BJ. He has the physical tools to make it an interesting fight [hypothetically], but GSP will dominate him.

I doubt GSP would lose that handily against Anderson, as well; there is really nothing to indicate that. Anderson is amazing, there is nobody denying that, but he has cleared out the weakest and most uncompetitive division in MMA. The fight would be far more interesting and close than you make it out to be.
    I agree that Alves has the tools, but I also doubt he wins. I think there is little left at 170 for GSP.

In terms of Anderson v. GSP I doubt it goes too long. To me Anderson is better at everything outside of wrestling. He is a crisper striker imo, his bjj is on the same level if not better and he is going to be too big. That is nothing against GSP at all, I dont know how many at 205 could beat Anderson. However saying 185 is that bad is silly. To me it just showed how much better Anderson was than everyone else. I know people turn to the Cote fight, however the same could be said about GSP and the first Serra fight. I personally would love to see Anderson go 205 permanently and GSP to 185 permanently. WOuld make things more competitive imo
  27. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

In terms of Anderson v. GSP I doubt it goes too long. To me Anderson is better at everything outside of wrestling. He is a crisper striker imo, his bjj is on the same level if not better
    This argument sounds familiar. I believe it was the exact set of arguments most put forward for the Penn/GSP II. GSP peppered BJ on the feet setting up his TDs, and absolutely destroyed BJ on the ground.

The size difference would be negligible, IMO. It is probable that GSP could cut from ~200 for that fight, considering he cuts from ~185 to make WW.

That is nothing against GSP at all, I dont know how many at 205 could beat Anderson. However saying 185 is that bad is silly.
    Ah, I see. I would be interested in your reasoning on how any one division is any weaker than 185. It is unequivocally the worst.

To me it just showed how much better Anderson was than everyone else. I know people turn to the Cote fight, however the same could be said about GSP and the first Serra fight. I personally would love to see Anderson go 205 permanently and GSP to 185 permanently. WOuld make things more competitive imo
    I agree it showed how much better he was than everyone else, in an incredibly weak division. His wins in the UFC have been Leben, Franklin (x2), Nate, Henderson, Lutter, Irvin and Cote.

Out of all those fighters, Marquardt, Franklin, and Henderson are who I would consider true contenders, which he truly did dominate. Lutter on the other hand pushed him handily, Cote was winning that fight, and Leben is obviously a complete joke. You could make the case GSP has only been pushed once - against BJ Penn, a perennial contender in the Top Five P4P rankings. That first round was the first he had lost in the UFC, and he really did not lose another. He had a flash-fluke KO against Serra.

I understand where you're coming from, but you are mystifying Anderson - which in most cases may be justified - whereas the fight would be competitive. Henderson showed he can be taken down, but Hendo simply had a poor game-plan and was not competent enough on the ground. Anderson has never faced a synthesis of [world-class] wrestling, striking, and ground competency.
  28. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

On a side note, did anybody notice Gomi and Kid in attendance?
  29. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

This argument sounds familiar. I believe it was the exact set of arguments most put forward for the Penn/GSP II. GSP peppered BJ on the feet setting up his TDs, and absolutely destroyed BJ on the ground.
    He most certainly did, however the size difference between BJ and Anderson is substantial

[QUOTE=Mulletsoldier;1784915The size difference would be negligible, IMO. It is probable that GSP could cut from ~200 for that fight, considering he cuts from ~185 to make WW. [/QUOTE] GSP is big for 170, in fact very big. However at 185 he wouldnt be close to being big. However I think his athleticism would get him by most guys there.

[QUOTE=Mulletsoldier;1784915Ah, I see. I would be interested in your reasoning on how any one division is any weaker than 185. It is unequivocally the worst. I agree it showed how much better he was than everyone else, in an incredibly weak division. His wins in the UFC have been Leben, Franklin (x2), Nate, Henderson, Lutter, Irvin and Cote. [/QUOTE]

Out of all those fighters, Marquardt, Franklin, and Henderson are who I would consider true contenders, which he truly did dominate. Lutter on the other hand pushed him handily, Cote was winning that fight, and Leben is obviously a complete joke. You could make the case GSP has only been pushed once - against BJ Penn, a perennial contender in the Top Five P4P rankings. That first round was the first he had lost in the UFC, and he really did not lose another. He had a flash-fluke KO against Serra.
    the Serra 1 fight was a fluke, but he panicked quickly. Also <if we want to go back> to the first Huges fight, he lost there as well. I try not to use that one, but by his own admission mentally he was not prepared. Remember the Lutter fight, Anderson was just out of knee surgery, or getting ready for it (I forget, honestly)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier;1784915I understand where you're coming from, but you are mystifying Anderson - which in most cases may be justified - whereas the fight would be competitive. Henderson showed he can be taken down, but Hendo simply had a poor game-plan and was not competent enough on the ground. Anderson has never faced a synthesis of [world-class
    wrestling, striking, and ground competency.
    Not trying to mystify him at all, I just think the fight would be reminiscent of last night, except with the reverse outcome.

I truly respect GSP, and never expected the dominance that I saw last night, however, there are too many tools he would be facing against anderson
  30. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

I truly respect GSP, and never expected the dominance that I saw last night, however, there are too many tools he would be facing against anderson
    Could be, though it is highly doubtful. Again, as I said above, there were even individuals in this thread who put forward the exact same argument for GSP/Penn II. I do not buy the, "BJ moved up a weight class" premise in any sense: BJ moved to 205 and gave Machida trouble.

GSP is long enough and an accurate enough striker to stave off damage from Anderson; his wrestling is far better than anybody Anderson has faced, and would score him TDs; and I believe he would be able to GnP once it hit the ground.

We can always bet $100 on the fight, though. It would add to my collection of winnings from "fighters that were better than GSP in all aspects aside from wrestling".

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Nogueria Calls for Rematch with Frank Mir
    By VolcomX311 in forum MMA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 09:01 AM
  2. Noguiera/Barnett rematch NYE
    By Alexander in forum MMA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-16-2006, 10:29 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-15-2006, 11:13 PM