BJ Penn vs GSP-The rematch

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.1%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

it has all the makings of fight of the year, and I truly like both guys. Couture picked GSP
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    it has all the makings of fight of the year, and I truly like both guys. Couture picked GSP
    i agree reaper!..btw!..couture picked himself also, when he faught lesner!..LOL..j.k!
    board supporter
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.82%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by bslick69b View Post
    i agree reaper!..btw!..couture picked himself also, when he faught lesner!..LOL..j.k!
    Couture is one of the more accurate analysts (e.g. he picked Gonzaga over CC).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.04%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Couture is one of the more accurate analysts (e.g. he picked Gonzaga over CC).
    not like the odds are a 1 out of a 100,its either or...did couture know that he was going to lose against lesner?
    board supporter
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.75%

Quote Originally Posted by bslick69b View Post
    not like the odds are a 1 out of a 100,its either or...did couture know that he was going to lose against lesner?
    I don't think that someone who knows or even thinks they are losing to the opponent should even step on that octagon... So that's kinda pointless to be asking, he's a fighter, he has a contract, and if he wants to be succesfull he has to think and feel like he's going to win everytime he comes to compete.

But as far as someone who is knowledgeable on the sport, Randy would be on the top of that list IMO.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.04%

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    I don't think that someone who knows or even thinks they are losing to the opponent should even step on that octagon... So that's kinda pointless to be asking, he's a fighter, he has a contract, and if he wants to be succesfull he has to think and feel like he's going to win everytime he comes to compete.

But as far as someone who is knowledgeable on the sport, Randy would be on the top of that list IMO.
    no doubt that randy is very knowledgable on the subject!..but as far as the question that i have asked,it isnt' pointless!..fear envelopes every man,its who ever hides it the best is what sets them apart...there has been fights were people have said i thought he had me for sure,or he really hurt me for a second there...so pointless?..i think not.
    board supporter
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.1%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Randy has been good however he picked Forrest over Rashad and Wanderlei over Rampage. so......
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.82%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    Randy has been good however he picked Forrest over Rashad and Wanderlei over Rampage. so......
    Slight bias since they all train at XC.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.22%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Well BJ penn is my fav, I like GSP too, but I think GSP is so mentally ****ed up that BJ is gonna land a couple good shots, then GSP is gonna doubt himself which will lead him to his defeat.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.62%

From my preliminary psycological evaluations gsp talks alot about "either i win or i go to the hospital, or i win and go to the hospital"... wierd stuff going on in his head. He talks about bj and what bj does and says.
    Bj on the other hand says "im going to win, im going to kill gsp" and while gsp talks about bj, bj talks about bj.

All the focus is on BJ, to the people who arent in the ring, we think its GSP's fight all the way, either to win or lose cause he has the tools and the size.

Coming from the fighters mouths id have to say bj but it just doesnt make sense on paper.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.17%

^^^^ gotta agree on that. The mental toughness is probably the most important thing a fighter can have in his arsenal. And considering GSP knows that BJ gave him an ass-whooping last time....that's going to mentally screw with him. GSP looked like the freakin elephant man after their last encounter, while BJ went out an partied afterward.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8146218@N03/486539913/

=

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawhawjames/3050869975/
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.56%

I'm picking GSP by ref stoppage (ground n pound)
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I am Canadian and picking GSP not because of heritage but cause I believe he wins this. I also feel BJ is mouthy and needs to be taught a lesson. I know alot of Canadians feel this way also! It's gonna be wild at the pup that night.

P.S. also really looking forwar to the Machida-Silva fight. I"m for Machida....UD.
  14. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.03%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Many people going with BJ in a sure-fire manner; I think it is the opposite. BJ can realistically only expect to stop Georges on the feet, and that did not happen in the first fight. I think many people are basing their opinion on GSP's suspect chin based off of one fight, and that is, well, a bit suspect. Throughout the UFC, and even back in the UCC/TKO days, GSP's chin has not been an issue - one fight does not a suspect chin make.

Also, BJ destroyed GSP standing in the first round of their first fight, with no avail in terms of a knockdown. He [GSP] did not 'quit', and proceeded to win the next two RDs via TDs and ground control. I think GSP will pass BJ's guard, and BJ's underestimation of how much GSP's wrestling has progressed will haunt him. GSP RD3.
  15. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.23%

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    From my preliminary psycological evaluations gsp talks alot about "either i win or i go to the hospital, or i win and go to the hospital"... wierd stuff going on in his head. He talks about bj and what bj does and says.
    Bj on the other hand says "im going to win, im going to kill gsp" and while gsp talks about bj, bj talks about bj.

All the focus is on BJ, to the people who arent in the ring, we think its GSP's fight all the way, either to win or lose cause he has the tools and the size.

Coming from the fighters mouths id have to say bj but it just doesnt make sense on paper.

that's nothing different BJ Always talks about BJ. I've never met GSP but i've met BJ and even had the great pleasure of being invited to train with him. This was years ago when i trained with Charles Ralphs Brother (Bj's first coach) One of the Things that JD says I think is very true GSP is an ATHLETE and a great one. BJ is a FIGHTER
  16. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.23%

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Many people going with BJ in a sure-fire manner; I think it is the opposite. BJ can realistically only expect to stop Georges on the feet, and that did not happen in the first fight. I think many people are basing their opinion on GSP's suspect chin based off of one fight, and that is, well, a bit suspect. Throughout the UFC, and even back in the UCC/TKO days, GSP's chin has not been an issue - one fight does not a suspect chin make.

Also, BJ destroyed GSP standing in the first round of their first fight, with no avail in terms of a knockdown. He [GSP] did not 'quit', and proceeded to win the next two RDs via TDs and ground control. I think GSP will pass BJ's guard, and BJ's underestimation of how much GSP's wrestling has progressed will haunt him. GSP RD3.

I don't know Mullet first fight GSP never even passed guard on a winded BJ if BJ's cardio is there i don't think GSP can hang in the submission game. i agree on his wrestling though
  17. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.03%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mixedup View Post
    I don't know Mullet first fight GSP never even passed guard on a winded BJ if BJ's cardio is there i don't think GSP can hang in the submission game. i agree on his wrestling though
    No, he didn't. However, after the Serra fight GSP destroyed the three best wrestlers in the WW division in quick succession - against BJ I GSP's wrestling was good; now, it is probably the best in MMA. I think GSP will be able to use his sheer strength on the ground to gain dominant positions on BJ in the later rounds.

I will bet you a rep Mixedup that GSP will pass BJ's guard.
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%

No, he didn't. However, after the Serra fight GSP destroyed the three best wrestlers in the WW division in quick succession - against BJ I GSP's wrestling was good; now, it is probably the best in MMA. I think GSP will be able to use his sheer strength on the ground to gain dominant positions on BJ in the later rounds.

I have to sadly agree with Mulletsailor, but I'm hoping it won't be too detrimental, as I am rooting for a Penn Victory.
    NSCA - CSCS
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.04%

Thumbs up

dang!.what a great hype for this fight gentlemen.i like the pts. from both corners here.tommorrow the show starts!..i can imagine the great anticipation gentlemen!..what a match-up!
    board supporter
  20. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.23%

You got it Mullet. Either way this is gonna be one HELL of a Fight i loved the primetime specials. The music with Rashad coming into the gym and the last man standing song at the end. I wish i knew what songs those were
  21. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

i gotta say being in hawaii you will find alot more BJ fans than GSP but there are alot betting on GSP. THat has to tell you something, GSP is the no brainer favorite in this fight. I think somebody is gonna be surprised by the other fighter, and ground dominance is the deciding factor. This fight doesnt get out of the 3rd round. If GSP wins i hope he doesnt put a huge whooping on Penn or there will be alot of haoles in waikiki getting what GSP shouldve got...."throw in the towel for GSP, save the haoles in hawaii!!!" LOL.
  22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    i gotta say being in hawaii you will find alot more BJ fans than GSP but there are alot betting on GSP. THat has to tell you something, GSP is the no brainer favorite in this fight. I think somebody is gonna be surprised by the other fighter, and ground dominance is the deciding factor. This fight doesnt get out of the 3rd round. If GSP wins i hope he doesnt put a huge whooping on Penn or there will be alot of haoles in waikiki getting what GSP shouldve got...."throw in the towel for GSP, save the haoles in hawaii!!!" LOL.
    That's effing hilarious
    NSCA - CSCS
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I feel BJ won the 1st round largely because GSP got thumbed in the eye. GSP quickly poured it on in the 2nd & 3rd. He will continue pouring it on in this next fight. He had tenacious determination to be the best champion.

GSP vs Silva however....I feel GSP will get owned!
  24. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.39%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Hands down Anderson Silva is the best fighter in the UFC
    doing my own thang!
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.04%

bwahahahahaha!
    board supporter
  26. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.82%

Quote Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
    Hands down Anderson Silva is the best fighter in the UFC
    Hard to tell since he fights in the thinnest division in MMA.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.86%

Which is the site with the live streams?
  28. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.03%

What did I say, dammit? Passed his guard TWICE in one round.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.26%

GSP is dominating the fight
  30. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.03%

....and again....what guard? Where is Flobot?
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.26%

Penn has a great guard but this is the best I have ever seen GSP he was totally dominating man he looked good.
  32. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.03%

What the **** did I say? Flobot, where are you?
  33. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.03%

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegernaut View Post
    Penn has a great guard but this is the best I have ever seen GSP he was totally dominating man he looked good.
    His guard was a non-factor bro. As I said earlier, GSP passed it with complete ease, took BJ down at will, and the fight was never close - not for a second. As a Canadian, and after perfectly predicting the fight, I will take a minute to gloat.
  34. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.94%

His guard was a non-factor bro. As I said earlier, GSP passed it with complete ease, took BJ down at will, and the fight was never close - not for a second. As a Canadian, and after perfectly predicting the fight, I will take a minute to gloat.

Damn canadians and brazilians kickin' everyone's ass.
  35. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.22%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

So much for BJ saying GSP is the quitter, when BJ quit.....
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

BJ Penn totally OUTCLASSED at standup and on the ground. Finally silenced that mouth of his. Same with Lyoto haters! He is a Master at his art who acutally uses it in the cage. I love that guy!
  37. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.03%

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    So much for BJ saying GSP is the quitter, when BJ quit.....
    Poetic justice, eh?
  38. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.22%

Sure is lol :P
  39. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

GSP just used superior strength to do what he pleased, I still give props to a guy going up in weight to fight the best. I feel ive lost some respect for BJ at this point i mean his brother was the one who threw in the towel but BJ already quit long time ago. When i saw him turn his back in the corner after i believe the third round, that to me was just him not wanting to be in there. He wasnt even fighting anymore, i think he was nervous or scared before even getting in the ring. GSP is just to strong at that weight, he's huge at 170. Id like to see him move up in weight to fight anderson silva after the thiago fight.
  40. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%

GSP just used superior strength to do what he pleased, I still give props to a guy going up in weight to fight the best. I feel ive lost some respect for BJ at this point i mean his brother was the one who threw in the towel but BJ already quit long time ago. When i saw him turn his back in the corner after i believe the third round, that to me was just him not wanting to be in there. He wasnt even fighting anymore, i think he was nervous or scared before even getting in the ring. GSP is just to strong at that weight, he's huge at 170. Id like to see him move up in weight to fight anderson silva after the thiago fight.
    It looked like BJ caught the Ortiz Fear by the end of the first. The look on BJ's face reminded me of the Lidell/Ortiz fights. Damn.... that one hurt.

As a long time hater of Machida's Dodgejitsu, I have to hand it to him. He had a very nice blend of defense AND offense, I didn't feel like I was watching two guys playing freeze tag. His style is too dangerous because it demands too much patience.

back to BJ.... damn......
    NSCA - CSCS

Similar Forum Threads

1. Nogueria Calls for Rematch with Frank Mir
    By VolcomX311 in forum MMA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 10:01 AM
  2. Noguiera/Barnett rematch NYE
    By Alexander in forum MMA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-16-2006, 11:29 PM
  3. Replies: 31