BJ Penn vs GSP-The rematch

Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last

1. it kind of shocks me to see no canadians in here give in it up for there boy jsp!...i would like to hear from them also,no doubt jsp is also a baddass,so lets hear from the canadians?..GSP A! Sounds Canadian A!

2. i love em both but i am going to root for BJ because he is moving up in weight same would be for gsp if he moved up to fight Anderson
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by mixedup View Post
    i love em both but i am going to root for BJ because he is moving up in weight same would be for gsp if he moved up to fight Anderson
    GSP vs. Anderson- now thats a fight I would love to see! are you just using this as an example or is there talk of a matchup?

4. Quote Originally Posted by swan1209 View Post
    GSP vs. Anderson- now thats a fight I would love to see! are you just using this as an example or is there talk of a matchup?
    It's been discussed (preliminary, of course) that if GSP wins, then he might fight Andy late this year.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. Quote Originally Posted by swan1209 View Post

been some talk it's well known both want a legacy and with spider talking about retiring his manager has said he wants big name mega fights.

the only thing stopping spider from challenging at 205lbs is Lyoto he won't fight Lyoto

6. dude i cant wait!

7. GSP -VS- The Spider what a fight that would make! I had read Anderson was thinking of retiring. That would suck! I hope he fights long enough to make his way through the 205 ranks. He just destroyed James Irvin ironic put the "Sand Man" tooooo sleeeeep.

8. BJ is my boy and as much as I want him to win, I'm thinking GSP has a "better" chance at taking it. I'll be rooting and hollering for BJ all the way, but GSP has advanced quite a bit since their last encounter.

Here's hoping for a Penn victory.
    NSCA - CSCS

9. I think that from the last fight, when considering both fighters, GSP developed a slight bit more than did BJ. So, considering he won the first one, I'll give the second one to him again.

I'd just look at both Matt Serra bouts for GSP. First one, tittle lost. Second one, destroyed Matt Serra. And both happened after BJ fight. So I'll stick with GSP on this one, and I feel like the only way he may lose is if he gets caught by a punch, which yes, could very well happen, but I still give the overall edge to GSP.

10. damn did you guys see the primetime episode last night shows how much both of them really really want this
    •   

11. it has all the makings of fight of the year, and I truly like both guys. Couture picked GSP
  12. Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    it has all the makings of fight of the year, and I truly like both guys. Couture picked GSP
    i agree reaper!..btw!..couture picked himself also, when he faught lesner!..LOL..j.k!
    board supporter

13. Quote Originally Posted by bslick69b View Post
    i agree reaper!..btw!..couture picked himself also, when he faught lesner!..LOL..j.k!
    Couture is one of the more accurate analysts (e.g. he picked Gonzaga over CC).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

14. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Couture is one of the more accurate analysts (e.g. he picked Gonzaga over CC).
    not like the odds are a 1 out of a 100,its either or...did couture know that he was going to lose against lesner?
    board supporter

15. Quote Originally Posted by bslick69b View Post
    not like the odds are a 1 out of a 100,its either or...did couture know that he was going to lose against lesner?
    I don't think that someone who knows or even thinks they are losing to the opponent should even step on that octagon... So that's kinda pointless to be asking, he's a fighter, he has a contract, and if he wants to be succesfull he has to think and feel like he's going to win everytime he comes to compete.

But as far as someone who is knowledgeable on the sport, Randy would be on the top of that list IMO.

16. Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    I don't think that someone who knows or even thinks they are losing to the opponent should even step on that octagon... So that's kinda pointless to be asking, he's a fighter, he has a contract, and if he wants to be succesfull he has to think and feel like he's going to win everytime he comes to compete.

But as far as someone who is knowledgeable on the sport, Randy would be on the top of that list IMO.
    no doubt that randy is very knowledgable on the subject!..but as far as the question that i have asked,it isnt' pointless!..fear envelopes every man,its who ever hides it the best is what sets them apart...there has been fights were people have said i thought he had me for sure,or he really hurt me for a second there...so pointless?..i think not.
    board supporter

17. Randy has been good however he picked Forrest over Rashad and Wanderlei over Rampage. so......

18. Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    Randy has been good however he picked Forrest over Rashad and Wanderlei over Rampage. so......
    Slight bias since they all train at XC.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

19. Well BJ penn is my fav, I like GSP too, but I think GSP is so mentally ****ed up that BJ is gonna land a couple good shots, then GSP is gonna doubt himself which will lead him to his defeat.

20. From my preliminary psycological evaluations gsp talks alot about "either i win or i go to the hospital, or i win and go to the hospital"... wierd stuff going on in his head. He talks about bj and what bj does and says.
    Bj on the other hand says "im going to win, im going to kill gsp" and while gsp talks about bj, bj talks about bj.

All the focus is on BJ, to the people who arent in the ring, we think its GSP's fight all the way, either to win or lose cause he has the tools and the size.

Coming from the fighters mouths id have to say bj but it just doesnt make sense on paper.

21. ^^^^ gotta agree on that. The mental toughness is probably the most important thing a fighter can have in his arsenal. And considering GSP knows that BJ gave him an ass-whooping last time....that's going to mentally screw with him. GSP looked like the freakin elephant man after their last encounter, while BJ went out an partied afterward.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8146218@N03/486539913/

=

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawhawjames/3050869975/

22. I'm picking GSP by ref stoppage (ground n pound)

23. I am Canadian and picking GSP not because of heritage but cause I believe he wins this. I also feel BJ is mouthy and needs to be taught a lesson. I know alot of Canadians feel this way also! It's gonna be wild at the pup that night.

P.S. also really looking forwar to the Machida-Silva fight. I"m for Machida....UD.

24. Many people going with BJ in a sure-fire manner; I think it is the opposite. BJ can realistically only expect to stop Georges on the feet, and that did not happen in the first fight. I think many people are basing their opinion on GSP's suspect chin based off of one fight, and that is, well, a bit suspect. Throughout the UFC, and even back in the UCC/TKO days, GSP's chin has not been an issue - one fight does not a suspect chin make.

Also, BJ destroyed GSP standing in the first round of their first fight, with no avail in terms of a knockdown. He [GSP] did not 'quit', and proceeded to win the next two RDs via TDs and ground control. I think GSP will pass BJ's guard, and BJ's underestimation of how much GSP's wrestling has progressed will haunt him. GSP RD3.

25. Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    From my preliminary psycological evaluations gsp talks alot about "either i win or i go to the hospital, or i win and go to the hospital"... wierd stuff going on in his head. He talks about bj and what bj does and says.
    Bj on the other hand says "im going to win, im going to kill gsp" and while gsp talks about bj, bj talks about bj.

All the focus is on BJ, to the people who arent in the ring, we think its GSP's fight all the way, either to win or lose cause he has the tools and the size.

Coming from the fighters mouths id have to say bj but it just doesnt make sense on paper.

that's nothing different BJ Always talks about BJ. I've never met GSP but i've met BJ and even had the great pleasure of being invited to train with him. This was years ago when i trained with Charles Ralphs Brother (Bj's first coach) One of the Things that JD says I think is very true GSP is an ATHLETE and a great one. BJ is a FIGHTER

26. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Many people going with BJ in a sure-fire manner; I think it is the opposite. BJ can realistically only expect to stop Georges on the feet, and that did not happen in the first fight. I think many people are basing their opinion on GSP's suspect chin based off of one fight, and that is, well, a bit suspect. Throughout the UFC, and even back in the UCC/TKO days, GSP's chin has not been an issue - one fight does not a suspect chin make.

Also, BJ destroyed GSP standing in the first round of their first fight, with no avail in terms of a knockdown. He [GSP] did not 'quit', and proceeded to win the next two RDs via TDs and ground control. I think GSP will pass BJ's guard, and BJ's underestimation of how much GSP's wrestling has progressed will haunt him. GSP RD3.

I don't know Mullet first fight GSP never even passed guard on a winded BJ if BJ's cardio is there i don't think GSP can hang in the submission game. i agree on his wrestling though

27. Quote Originally Posted by mixedup View Post
    I don't know Mullet first fight GSP never even passed guard on a winded BJ if BJ's cardio is there i don't think GSP can hang in the submission game. i agree on his wrestling though
    No, he didn't. However, after the Serra fight GSP destroyed the three best wrestlers in the WW division in quick succession - against BJ I GSP's wrestling was good; now, it is probably the best in MMA. I think GSP will be able to use his sheer strength on the ground to gain dominant positions on BJ in the later rounds.

I will bet you a rep Mixedup that GSP will pass BJ's guard.

28. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    No, he didn't. However, after the Serra fight GSP destroyed the three best wrestlers in the WW division in quick succession - against BJ I GSP's wrestling was good; now, it is probably the best in MMA. I think GSP will be able to use his sheer strength on the ground to gain dominant positions on BJ in the later rounds.

I have to sadly agree with Mulletsailor, but I'm hoping it won't be too detrimental, as I am rooting for a Penn Victory.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. Thumbs up

dang!.what a great hype for this fight gentlemen.i like the pts. from both corners here.tommorrow the show starts!..i can imagine the great anticipation gentlemen!..what a match-up!
    board supporter

30. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post

You got it Mullet. Either way this is gonna be one HELL of a Fight i loved the primetime specials. The music with Rashad coming into the gym and the last man standing song at the end. I wish i knew what songs those were

Similar Forum Threads

1. Nogueria Calls for Rematch with Frank Mir
    By VolcomX311 in forum MMA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 11:01 AM
  2. Noguiera/Barnett rematch NYE
    By Alexander in forum MMA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 12:29 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 01:13 AM
  4. Contender Rematch