to mma or not to mma

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
guys, I have been asking around, and am split on the issue.

background first - I am in a rotation position for my company, so will only be in any given place for a year, right now houston. I lifted through college, and havent done much since the move, but need to get back into it.

should I join a local mma gym (probably 100-120/month), mainly for the muay thai training. I have no intention to compete, and I am a pretty non-confrontational person, so its not like I get in fights. It would be for fitness reasons, push myself to learn new things.

or

a local shitty gym (24hr fitness) at about $35 a month, save the extra cash for other things that I actually do (golf, travel, save, etc). I could actually afford to buy a banana bag and gloves and strike in my garage.

Kickboxing is intriguing to me, and I liked the free trial sessions I did at various places, but is it pointless to spend that much money and time for something I do not intend to compete? Like going to baseball practice and never playing?

or should I just wait until I get back to philly, where I will have much less expenses to deal with

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
See if that muy thai place has a trial week or something man... See if its for you? No sense in having to commit to something like that long term if you don't have to.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...
Not sure I necessarily buy into the train of thought.

Even if you have no aspirations to compete it's still certainly worthwhile to train. Otherwise if we follow the OP's logic, then it's pointless to lift if you won't enter any shows. Training alone is enough justification and while you may not reap financial rewards or recognition you still attain experience and conditioning, etc. If you question your dedication or interest, then make sure you don't sign any long term contracts. Most places will allow month by month so should you decide it's not worth it you are only out maybe $150.

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
most of my friends were saying its pointless, bank the money, just "join regular gym and use the money to buy hgh" :icon_lol:

I think they were missing the point.

One kid close to me said "look, I am blowing tons of money right now on hockey. I know I will never be pro, but it is a skill that I want, and something that I enjoy. If you want some skills, and you like working out anyway, I say do it - do it now while we are young and dont have real money problems to worry about!" :thumbsup:

I tend to agree with that one kid over many.

hey, its a better way to use my signing bonus than buying a jet ski.

I think I am going to negotiate with tha instructor tomorrow.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Yes, sometimes people miss the point completely. End points may have relevance but the journey can be just as important or fulfilling. But all BS aside, I wouldn't completely dismiss a jet ski, many good times can be had. Also reminds me of Tosh joke.

"Whoever said money can't buy you happiness obviously doesn't live in America. 'Cause in America, money can buy you a Wave Runner. Have you ever seen anyone on a Wave Runner that's not happy? They're smiling as they run into the dock..."

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
Yes, sometimes people miss the point completely. End points may have relevance but the journey can be just as important or fulfilling. But all BS aside, I wouldn't completely dismiss a jet ski, many good times can be had. Also reminds me of Tosh joke.

"Whoever said money can't buy you happiness obviously doesn't live in America. 'Cause in America, money can buy you a Wave Runner. Have you ever seen anyone on a Wave Runner that's not happy? They're smiling as they run into the dock..."

haha, nice. I was gun-ho about the jet ski for quite some time. Then I remembered my only ride is an oldskool bmw5 that really couldnt tow it. I still look them up, and ponder walking with my superjet a mile to the dock........

If i end up staying in TX I am getting a jetski and motocycle in due time.

but I digress. A lot of sweet ideas run through your head when someone hands you a fat check just for saying "yes, I will work for you for at least one year"

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Not sure I necessarily buy into the train of thought.

Even if you have no aspirations to compete it's still certainly worthwhile to train. Otherwise if we follow the OP's logic, then it's pointless to lift if you won't enter any shows. Training alone is enough justification and while you may not reap financial rewards or recognition you still attain experience and conditioning, etc. If you question your dedication or interest, then make sure you don't sign any long term contracts. Most places will allow month by month so should you decide it's not worth it you are only out maybe $150.
I like you.

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
well, boys, it has been decided.

I went with mma! start tomorrow. This is going to be fun!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
MMA, for sure! Lifting is fun, and good for you, but to me, it's one-dimensional, whereas fighting of any kind is 3 dimensional. You quit working out for 2 months, or 6, and lose a ton; quit fighting, and you lose...? Not much. Fighting develops strength, speed, reflexes, coordination, etc, as well as being good for cardio-vascular health. Stick with it for a while, and it'll stick with you.

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
yeah I am liking it so far, the instructors really push us hard.

man I have to lose some flab from my midsection, hopefully all this extra cardo will help a bit (I need to look closer at my diet).

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
Visit a few gyms...if you find one you like and an art that interests you, give it a try. I think you'll find that you like it. You may meet some new friends and open up your circle a little bit...hell, just going to a class or two will give you the chance to decide if its something you want to pursue...I would honestly guess a very, very small percentage of people who train in martial arts compete.

holy