Resveratrol Anti-Aging

LMR

LMR

Awards
Hey LakeMountD turned me on to this stuff so I had to go out and get some. I couldnt wait the two weeks for my company to come out with it. I cant wait though Im snatchin up a few bottles of this stuff. I bought a brand from my local pharmacy store Im not naming the brand. I been researching this stuff and man this stuff is great for anti-aging. Im 38 years old and I dont look like im any where over 30. Im staying that way! I suggest my fellow men in my age range n up to grab a bottle.

Another supp I like to take that is great as a super anti oxidant is Alpha lapoic Acid "ALA" I call it for short. I think my new 4 pills for the morning are now.

Mulit vitamin/min
Resveratrol
ALA
omega3,6,9

oh and my Prilosec gawd I cant live with out my ant acid thank you for them my stomach aint what it used to be hitting 40.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey LakeMountD turned me on to this stuff so I had to go out and get some. I couldnt wait the two weeks for my company to come out with it. I cant wait though Im snatchin up a few bottles of this stuff. I bought a brand from my local pharmacy store Im not naming the brand. I been researching this stuff and man this stuff is great for anti-aging. Im 38 years old and I dont look like im any where over 30. Im staying that way! I suggest my fellow men in my age range n up to grab a bottle.

Another supp I like to take that is great as a super anti oxidant is Alpha lapoic Acid "ALA" I call it for short. I think my new 4 pills for the morning are now.

Mulit vitamin/min
Resveratrol
ALA
omega3,6,9

oh and my Prilosec gawd I cant live with out my ant acid thank you for them my stomach aint what it used to be hitting 40.
Yes, resveratrol is known to, amongst others, have remarkable anti-aging effects that mimic favourable gene expression arising from calorie restriction. It has a rather low bioavailability, though. So make sure you are taking enough of it, and, in particular, that you are co-supplementing with known resveratrol absorption enhancers.
Regarding, alpha lipoic acid, prefer NA-RALA. It is the most potent and stable form of alpha lipoic acid.

Pseudonymous

Pseudonymous

Awards
What are "known resveratrol absorption enhancers"? I understand that doses are controversial, but how much are you guys taking?
I'm 180 lbs. Taking 150mg Resveratrol by Puritan's Pride and 60mg Resveratrol Grape Extract (120mg Procyanidol), also by Puritan's Pride at night. I intend to buy some wine this weekend and begin washing it down with one glass each night before bed.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Brand / Dose

What are "known resveratrol absorption enhancers"? I understand that doses are controversial, but how much are you guys taking?
After some research I believe one of the better resveratrol products available is this full spectrum trans-resveratrol formula from Life Extension Foundation - "Optimized Resveratrol" 250mg trans-resveratrol. 60 caps is $34.

I have been taking the recommended one cap a day (250mg) for about 6 months.

This formula also contains "Whole Grape Extract" which is important as it has been reported that there is a synergistic effect and trans-resveratrol is more effective when taken concurrently with a whole grape extract formula (some formulas only contained the isolated resveratrol).

Also, make sure your resveratrol is trans-resveratrol - a much more effective component.

From the Life Extension Foundation website:

Optimized Resveratrol
250 mg, 60 vegetarian capsules

Item Catalog Number: 00867
Findings from published scientific literature indicate that resveratrol may be the most effective plant extract for maintaining optimal health.103

Scientists have hypothesized that resveratrol may be a key component of the famous “French Paradox,” whereby the French traditionally were protected against heart disease despite a diet high in butter and animal fats. Resveratrol is a phytoalexin, a natural plant antibiotic which is produced by Vitis vinifera as a response to attack by molds. Because of the wide-spread use of pesticides in modern wine-making, including the practice of copper sulphation, the level of resveratrol in modern wines has plummeted. Red wine contains resveratrol, but the quantity varies depending on where the grapes are grown, the time of harvest, and other factors. In fact, usually only one to three mg resveratrol per liter of red wine is currently found, even in the most robust red wines. After years of relentless research, a standardized resveratrol extract is now available as a dietary supplement.

This whole grape extract contains a spectrum of polyphenols that are naturally contained in red wine such as proanthocyanidins, anthocyanins, flavonoids, etc.

Research funded by the Life Extension Foundation showed that a combination of low-dose (20 mg) resveratrol plus grapeseed extract mimicked many of the favorable gene expression changes seen in calorie-restricted animals. Other studies, however, indicate that higher doses may be needed to obtain all of resveratrol’s positive benefits including improved insulin sensitivity, enhanced mitochondrial function, reduced expression of inflammatory factors, and protection against the toxic effects of a high-fat diet.

Resveratrol, in particular trans-resveratrol and its glucoside, are widely reported to be beneficial to health, having been shown to possess antioxidative, anticarcinogenic, and antitumor properties. Major dietary sources include grapes, wine, peanuts, and soy; however, they can also be introduced into the diet through Itadori tea, which has long been used in Japan and China as a traditional herbal remedy for heart disease and strokes. Analysis of grapes, peanuts, and Itadori tea shows that they contain mainly trans-resveratrol glucoside. In contrast, red wines are primarily a source of the aglycones cis- and trans-resveratrol.

Life Extension has evaluated the published studies on resveratrol to establish the doses humans might need to take to duplicate the remarkable laboratory findings. The results of Life Extension’s analysis yield a wide range of potentially effective doses: from 20 to 250 mg a day and higher. The resveratrol potency you choose may be based on your current state of health and/or your desire to reach the upper limits of a healthy human life span. Life Extension offers Optimized Resveratrol, a supplement that contains 250 mg of standardized trans-resveratrol for those who want optimal potencies.

References
Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 vegetarian capsule

Servings Per Container 60

Amount Per Serving
Trans-resveratrol [from red grape & vine (Vitis vinifera) and Polygonum cuspidatum (root) extract]
250 mg

Red Grape (Full Spectrum French Red Wine Polyphenol Profile), Grape Vine (Vitis vinifera), Wild Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium), and Polygonum cuspidatum extract blend [supplying polyphenols, anthocyanins, OPCs, free resveratrol, resveratrol conjugates (epsilon-viniferin, trans and cis-polydatin), and resveratrol analogs (pterostilbene)]
85 mg

Quercetin (as Quercetin dihydrate)
60 mg

Other ingredients: silica, magnesium stearate, vegetable cellulose (capsule).

Contains corn. This product contains NO milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, or rice. Contains NO sugar, and no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.

Dosage and Use
Take one capsule daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
I'm 180 lbs. Taking 150mg Resveratrol by Puritan's Pride and 60mg Resveratrol Grape Extract (120mg Procyanidol), also by Puritan's Pride at night. I intend to buy some wine this weekend and begin washing it down with one glass each night before bed.

You can skip the wine. Without food it will only spike your insulin levels.

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
After some research I believe one of the better resveratrol products available is this full spectrum trans-resveratrol formula from Life Extension Foundation - "Optimized Resveratrol" 250mg trans-resveratrol. 60 caps is $34.

I have been taking the recommended one cap a day (250mg) for about 6 months.

This formula also contains "Whole Grape Extract" which is important as it has been reported that there is a synergistic effect and trans-resveratrol is more effective when taken concurrently with a whole grape extract formula (some formulas only contained the isolated resveratrol).

Also, make sure your resveratrol is trans-resveratrol - a much more effective component.

From the Life Extension Foundation website:

Optimized Resveratrol
250 mg, 60 vegetarian capsules

Item Catalog Number: 00867
Findings from published scientific literature indicate that resveratrol may be the most effective plant extract for maintaining optimal health.103

Scientists have hypothesized that resveratrol may be a key component of the famous “French Paradox,” whereby the French traditionally were protected against heart disease despite a diet high in butter and animal fats. Resveratrol is a phytoalexin, a natural plant antibiotic which is produced by Vitis vinifera as a response to attack by molds. Because of the wide-spread use of pesticides in modern wine-making, including the practice of copper sulphation, the level of resveratrol in modern wines has plummeted. Red wine contains resveratrol, but the quantity varies depending on where the grapes are grown, the time of harvest, and other factors. In fact, usually only one to three mg resveratrol per liter of red wine is currently found, even in the most robust red wines. After years of relentless research, a standardized resveratrol extract is now available as a dietary supplement.

This whole grape extract contains a spectrum of polyphenols that are naturally contained in red wine such as proanthocyanidins, anthocyanins, flavonoids, etc.

Research funded by the Life Extension Foundation showed that a combination of low-dose (20 mg) resveratrol plus grapeseed extract mimicked many of the favorable gene expression changes seen in calorie-restricted animals. Other studies, however, indicate that higher doses may be needed to obtain all of resveratrol’s positive benefits including improved insulin sensitivity, enhanced mitochondrial function, reduced expression of inflammatory factors, and protection against the toxic effects of a high-fat diet.

Resveratrol, in particular trans-resveratrol and its glucoside, are widely reported to be beneficial to health, having been shown to possess antioxidative, anticarcinogenic, and antitumor properties. Major dietary sources include grapes, wine, peanuts, and soy; however, they can also be introduced into the diet through Itadori tea, which has long been used in Japan and China as a traditional herbal remedy for heart disease and strokes. Analysis of grapes, peanuts, and Itadori tea shows that they contain mainly trans-resveratrol glucoside. In contrast, red wines are primarily a source of the aglycones cis- and trans-resveratrol.

Life Extension has evaluated the published studies on resveratrol to establish the doses humans might need to take to duplicate the remarkable laboratory findings. The results of Life Extension’s analysis yield a wide range of potentially effective doses: from 20 to 250 mg a day and higher. The resveratrol potency you choose may be based on your current state of health and/or your desire to reach the upper limits of a healthy human life span. Life Extension offers Optimized Resveratrol, a supplement that contains 250 mg of standardized trans-resveratrol for those who want optimal potencies.

References
Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 vegetarian capsule

Servings Per Container 60

Amount Per Serving
Trans-resveratrol [from red grape & vine (Vitis vinifera) and Polygonum cuspidatum (root) extract]
250 mg

Red Grape (Full Spectrum French Red Wine Polyphenol Profile), Grape Vine (Vitis vinifera), Wild Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium), and Polygonum cuspidatum extract blend [supplying polyphenols, anthocyanins, OPCs, free resveratrol, resveratrol conjugates (epsilon-viniferin, trans and cis-polydatin), and resveratrol analogs (pterostilbene)]
85 mg

Quercetin (as Quercetin dihydrate)
60 mg

Other ingredients: silica, magnesium stearate, vegetable cellulose (capsule).

Contains corn. This product contains NO milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, or rice. Contains NO sugar, and no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.

Dosage and Use
Take one capsule daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
Have you noticed any change since you started taking it?

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Have you noticed any change since you started taking it?
I started TRT about the same time so overall I feel alot better than I have in quite a while but I'm sure that's more TRT than anything else.

In any event, I'm not sure that taking resveratrol would make one "feel better" short term. The reason I started taking it is because of it's anti-aging benefits which - judging from the science - I believe it has.

It's kind of like taking fish oil IMO. Can you "feel it"? Not really. Is it a good idea to take it? Absolutely.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I started TRT about the same time so overall I feel alot better than I have in quite a while but I'm sure that's more TRT than anything else.

In any event, I'm not sure that taking resveratrol would make one "feel better" short term. The reason I started taking it is because of it's anti-aging benefits which - judging from the science - I believe it has.

It's kind of like taking fish oil IMO. Can you "feel it"? Not really. Is it a good idea to take it? Absolutely.
Not everybody needs it.
If you are curious, do:

http://www.genovadiagnostics.com/index.php?option=com_gpanel&Itemid=2&task=view&id=47

Essential Metabolic & Fatty Acids Analysis (EMFA)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i've been doing in the multigram a day range with resveratrol for months now. i'm 40, had someone guess my age at 30 last week :)

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
You can skip the wine. Without food it will only spike your insulin levels.
Actually, interesting fact too... check this out.

Wine after carb-heavy meal causes drop in insulin

In a study in the November issue of Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, researchers found drinking the equivalent of three glasses of white wine after eating a carbohydrate-laden meal caused insulin levels to drop.

Insulin is a hormone necessary for the body to process sugar (glucose) and starches. Without enough insulin, the body's cells don't get the energy they need, the researchers say.

People with diabetes either don't produce any insulin or don't produce sufficient levels of the hormone. A lack of insulin is one cause of diabetes. Normally, when you consume food, your blood glucose levels immediately rise and, in response to that rise, the body produces insulin to process the glucose.

'[Our findings] suggest that drinking white wine on its own after a meal may alter glucose metabolism and produce a pseudo-diabetic condition,' says study author Anna Kokavec, a research psychologist affiliated with La Trobe University in Bundoora, Australia.

'There is possibly no safe level of white wine consumption and this may extend to other commercially available alcohol products. Furthermore, white wine is probably not a product that should be recommended for consumption by diabetics.'

Others aren't convinced, however.

'There is nothing in this study that is relevant to advice that physicians should give their patients about the consumption of white wine,' says Dr. Kenneth Hupart, chief of endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism at Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, N.Y.

Kokavec and her colleagues recruited eight nondiabetic males between the ages of 19 and 22 years for this study. All were admitted binge drinkers. None were obese.

The researchers had the volunteers eat non-vegetarian pizza -- the study does not specify how much pizza each person consumed -- and drink a nonalcoholic soft drink. Then they were asked to drink three average-sized glasses of wine slowly over 90 minutes.

Blood glucose and insulin levels were measured before the study participants ate and then again at 45 minutes, 90 minutes and 135 minutes after eating.

Insulin levels dropped quickly after the consumption of wine, in some cases to a very low level, Kokavec says. Glucose levels also dropped.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Mulit vitamin/min
Resveratrol
ALA
omega3,6,9

I agree 100% with the alpha lipoic acid statement. I could not live without my NA-RALA!

Resveratrol is also a very potent and interesting compound with tons of data proving it to be very effective.

Mo250

Awards
I think LEF's Trans-resveratrol product failed a consumerlabs test if I do recall correctly. you can try country life's resveratrol instead. it has a nice blend of synergitics (sp) to go with it and had passed consumerlabs testing.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think LEF's Trans-resveratrol product failed a consumerlabs test if I do recall correctly.....
What exactly went wrong? I am asking because LEF has one of the most exacting vetting and quality procedures in the entire indutry.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree 100% with the alpha lipoic acid statement. I could not live without my NA-RALA!...
I sensed this was coming, bud! Yeah, NA-RALA is in a league of its own. :)

LMR

LMR

Awards
Yes, resveratrol is known to, amongst others, have remarkable anti-aging effects that mimic favourable gene expression arising from calorie restriction. It has a rather low bioavailability, though. So make sure you are taking enough of it, and, in particular, that you are co-supplementing with known resveratrol absorption enhancers.
Regarding, alpha lipoic acid, prefer NA-RALA. It is the most potent and stable form of alpha lipoic acid.
Thanks for the tip! So grape seed extract?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the tip! So grape seed extract?
If you mean (trans)-resveratrol absorption enhancers, then Quercetin, Grape Seed Extract, Bioperine/Piperine. Grape seed extract and quercetin on their own possess impressive properties. Added to resveratrol, the mix becomes a potent arsenal.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
What exactly went wrong? I am asking because LEF has one of the most exacting vetting and quality procedures in the entire indutry.
BUMP on this one.

I live by LEF. I googled but didn't find anything.
Can you provide a link/source??
Thanks.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thoughts on timing and amounts for dosing? Would appreciate your input.
In terms of anti-aging applications, Na-RALA can be used to address problems such as oxidative stress and mitochondrial damage. As such, one single dose of 210mg Na-RALA (from about 300mg of Bio-Enhanced™Stabilized N-RaALA®) taken before bedtime should be enough. Some users prefer to add Acetyl-L-Carnitine (1000mg to 1500mg) to this dose.

kraftkid

kraftkid

Awards
  • Established
In terms of anti-aging applications, Na-RALA can be used to address problems such as oxidative stress and mitochondrial damage. As such, one single dose of 210mg Na-RALA (from about 300mg of Bio-Enhanced™Stabilized N-RaALA®) taken before bedtime should be enough. Some users prefer to add Acetyl-L-Carnitine (1000mg to 1500mg) to this dose.
Thanks for input. Sorry to all for semi thread snatching...