HCG always better than clomid?

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Is HCG always better than clomid (considering effectiveness and sides)? Does clomid produce as much aromatization as HCG?

P.S. I wish the search function allowed three character searches ie. 'HCG'

MarkLA

Awards
I think its too simplistic. Not better/worse but different.

HCG stimulates the Testicles to produce T.

Clomid causes the Pituitary to release LH (HCG is an LH analog) to produce T.

In one ways Clomid would seem superior in that it preserves more of the natural hormonal cascade by stimulating earlier in the process.

Clomid is not seen as a permanent treatment. It can be used to try to restart HPTA, but AFAIK it is not a multi-year treatment. It's designed to get your body going again on its own.

HCG on the other hand could be a permanent treatment for those whose bodies cannot produce enough LH.

Mark

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Clomid causes the Pituitary to release LH (HCG is an LH analog) to produce T.
In this regard, it seems better to try clomid first, because HCG would suppress your natural LH.

Thanks for the info!

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
In this regard, it seems better to try clomid first, because HCG would suppress your natural LH.

Thanks for the info!
That is an off hand, but good common sense approach.

The problem is,
we have not seen one person yet being succesful while trying Clomid.

In the past there was few threads discussing this, full of hope, no positive end results.

Possibly steroid users are succesful while cycling, couple times, after which, then they are not succesful.

This is about grown up men.
When used for undeveloped children, possibly different story.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
I have varicocele-induced hypogonadism (as far as I know). I'm scheduled for v repair surgery tomorrow, and will try clomid to restart as soon as I'm healed. If that fails, I'm probably stuck with test & HCG shots for life.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I have varicocele-induced hypogonadism (as far as I know). I'm scheduled for v repair surgery tomorrow, and will try clomid to restart as soon as I'm healed. If that fails, I'm probably stuck with test & HCG shots for life.
Just be gratefull that you have a choice.
Our fathers and grandfathers were stuck.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Is HCG always better than clomid (considering effectiveness and sides)? Does clomid produce as much aromatization as HCG?
As far as "effectiveness", maybe this is helpful:
Under a doctor's care (well known here) I did the "clomid protocol" for several weeks and my total test went from my baseline of mid- 300's to 535.
Afterward I was put on the HCG protocol (600iu EOD) which I have been doing for the last 2 months and my total test (last week BW) was 680.
I'm not sure if my total test # would have continued to rise had I continued with the clomid but as soon as my doc saw my body was "receptive" I stopped the clomid and went on the HCG.
He only uses clomid as a "test" and doesn't use it longterm (though I really don't know why).
As far as aromatization, my E only tested between 15-22 on both.

rick055

Awards
  • Established
As far as "effectiveness", maybe this is helpful:
Under a doctor's care (well known here) I did the "clomid protocol" for several weeks and my total test went from my baseline of mid- 300's to 535.
Afterward I was put on the HCG protocol (500iu EOD) which I have been doing for the last 2 months and my total test (last week BW) was 680.
I'm not sure if my total test # would have continued to rise had I continued with the clomid but as soon as my doc saw my body was "receptive" I stopped the clomid and went on the HCG.
He only uses clomid as a "test" and doesn't use it longterm (though I really don't know why).
As far as aromatization, my E only tested between 15-22 on both.
Gator, will you now be on hCG for the rest of your life (or at least until something better comes along) or is it something that hopes to be a cure of sorts?

The reason I ask is when I look at secondary hypogonadism treatment on the web, the protocols usually allow for a year's worth of use. And I have to wonder what in the heck do they expect to happen after the year's up? That the pituitary will suddenly remember how to produce LH??

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Gator, will you now be on hCG for the rest of your life (or at least until something better comes along) or is it something that hopes to be a cure of sorts?
Rick,
Not to detour from LeanGuys thread here, but I'll be happy to answer that. I'm 51. My combination of low total test and high SHBG combined for a free test of about 45 per my docs chart - horrible by any measure and I felt it - for years. Since I started the protocol my free T is now about 130, still not perfect (doc wants to see around 250) but 3x higher and getting better. Most importantly I feel SO much better. Libido, energy, everything. It really was a life changer for me. I just wish I started sooner! I can't wait to see how good I'll feel if I can come close to the 250! But to answer your question -yeah this will be a lifelong endeavor and someday I may have to add some depo T to the mix but, as my doc says, "you can stop anytime and go back to feeling the way you did before". No thanks!! A little prick on the side of my stomach EOD is a small sacrifice for feeling so good.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Rick,
Not to detour from LeanGuys thread here, but I'll be happy to answer that. I'm 51. My combination of low total test and high SHBG combined for a free test of about 45 per my docs chart - horrible by any measure and I felt it - for years. Since I started the protocol my free T is now about 130, still not perfect (doc wants to see around 250) but 3x higher and getting better. Most importantly I feel SO much better. Libido, energy, everything. It really was a life changer for me. I just wish I started sooner! I can't wait to see how good I'll feel if I can come close to the 250! But to answer your question -yeah this will be a lifelong endeavor and someday I may have to add some depo T to the mix but, as my doc says, "you can stop anytime and go back to feeling the way you did before". No thanks!! A little prick on the side of my stomach EOD is a small sacrifice for feeling so good.
If you are using transdermal T that mean you will have very high DHT.

The chart is probably similar to this:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html#post899851

Any good amount of FreeT is a welcome news.
Better measure would be
BAT-BioAvailableTestosterone
with a goal of being on top of range.

One can find his BAT and FreeT using test from Quest:

Testosterone, Free, Bio/Total (LC/MS/MS)
------------------------------------------
example of output of that test, from my last test

Testosterone, Free, Bio/Total (LC/MS/MS)
/------------------------------------ 1151 (250-1100) ng/dL Testosterone Total
/------------------------------------ 248.5 (46-224) pg/mL Testosterone Free
/------------------------------------ 456.9 (110-575) ng/dL Testosterone Bioavailable
/------------------------------------ 26 (17-54) nmol/L SHBG
/------------------------------------ 4.0 (3.6-5.1) g/dL Albumin, serum

I have increased my T dose slightly since that test.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Jeez, high enough don't you think?? :)

Anything over 1000 and I'd be ecstatic!!
Agree, any T is better than low T.

Looking at their TotalT is most often a trap many fall in.

It is important, specially for those of us who he little higher SHBG to not get excited, they need that higher TT.

Bottom line is BAT from Quest.
If one cant do tests at Quest,
bottom line is (TT & SHBG) and look up at the chart to see that
FreeT(250-300)
--------------------------------------------------
The above is for someone who supply external T.

Naturally FreeT over 160 is good, but it have to be from chart,
not assayed.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Do you have a doctor's request for Quest? I was reading on their site and it seems like you can't just walk in and order tests yourself?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Do you have a doctor's request for Quest? I was reading on their site and it seems like you can't just walk in and order tests yourself?
To do tests at Quest one have to have doctors script.
To get reimbursment from insurance doctor have to put on that script diagnostic codes, ICD-9.

I get my script from my doc.

To make life easy on my doc, which is just about the only way to get his cooperation, I have to save his time.
He have high volume practice.
If it takes lots of time, I may not get it.

Whe time comes that I want to do blood test,
I make a list of requested tests, on the bottom of that list I put my ICD-9 codes.
I e-mail that list to his nurse.
When I am in his office asking for script,
nurse prints it out on his office stionary, hi signs it,
I am out the door in 2 minutes.
Labs like Quest or LabCorp are also trying to stream line doctors work, for their own reasons.
Stay away from those forms that want doctor to use.
You will newer get the wery special tests that are on my list.
If you do not have cooperating doctor,
LEF.org is selling prescriptions
The tests are then done at LabCorp
In this case preplanning is important.
Sometimes, I think June- August they have sale.
Some people are bying multiple scripts planning tests for the whole year.

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
Clomid has side effects and should not be used long term. Clomid masks some effects of E but does not lower E. Anastrozole/Arimidex lowers E and has no side effects and can be used forever. If there are negative effects, you are taking your E too low. Some [few/rare] need to take 1/4 or 1/8th the expected dose as they are over responders. The typical starting dose for those on TRT is 1mg/week.

beckerj

Awards
What about Nolvadex ? I hear it is better than Clomid ....

beckerj

Awards
What is long term ? And what happens when you stop taking it ?

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
What is long term ? And what happens when you stop taking it ?
I will not take it more than 8-12 weeks. The hope is that the HPTA will keep going on its own when your done. I hear you can have an estrogen rebound when stopping, might need to finish it off with an AI like arimidex. It's basically the same as trying to recover from a roid cycle, except I've never used roids. I believe my test levels dropped due to stress. At one point I had two businesses plus a full time job. Made a lot of money... lost a lot of sleep... lost a lot of health... taking it back!!

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I will not take it more than 8-12 weeks. The hope is that the HPTA will keep going on its own when your done. I hear you can have an estrogen rebound when stopping, might need to finish it off with an AI like arimidex. It's basically the same as trying to recover from a roid cycle, except I've never used roids. I believe my test levels dropped due to stress. At one point I had two businesses plus a full time job. Made a lot of money... lost a lot of sleep... lost a lot of health... taking it back!!
Looks like adrenals first.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Looks like adrenals first.
Adrenals are low... I've supplemented DHEA up to high-normal, and take adaptogenics. Thyroid is decent.

Can low adrenals contribute to low testosterone?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Adrenals are low... I've supplemented DHEA up to high-normal, and take adaptogenics. Thyroid is decent.

Can low adrenals contribute to low testosterone?
define: adaptogenics

post your FreeT3

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
define: adaptogenics

post your FreeT3
adaptogenics: ashwaghanda, rhodiola, licorice root

TSH=1.7 [0.3-5.6]
Free T3=3.4 [2.0-4.2]
Free T4=1.1 [0.87-1.56]

Besides low T, my main problem is persistent insomnia. This may even be the cause of my low T. I always feel tired, but rarely feel sleepy. Been to several doctors, they can't figure it out and just suggest anti-depressants... nope.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
adaptogenics: ashwaghanda, rhodiola, licorice root

TSH=1.7 [0.3-5.6]
Free T3=3.4 [2.0-4.2]
Free T4=1.1 [0.87-1.56]

Besides low T, my main problem is persistent insomnia. This may even be the cause of my low T. I always feel tired, but rarely feel sleepy. Been to several doctors, they can't figure it out and just suggest anti-depressants... nope.

Start with this post, possibly you can get something out of the rest of the thread.
http://**************.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6188&postcount=8

dr John's board

beckerj

Awards
What is the rest of the link Jan ? I would like to check it out as well ....

Thanks