Low Test & Insomnia

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Ever since my test got low, I have been unable to sleep. Has this happened to anyone else? Did it improve when your levels got higher again? I am hoping so...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't sleep very well and my test is around 300 when it should be around the 600-900 range. The worse I sleep, the more my test falls too. Snowball effect. Lack of sleep really messes with your hormones. ZMA doesn't help, neither does melatonin or any other sleep-aid I've tried except neurobalance (phenibut).

Hopefully other people can comment if the issue goes away once test raises again.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
I don't sleep very well and my test is around 300 when it should be around the 600-900 range. The worse I sleep, the more my test falls too. Snowball effect. Lack of sleep really messes with your hormones. ZMA doesn't help, neither does melatonin or any other sleep-aid I've tried except neurobalance (phenibut).
Phenibut is the only OTC that works for me too. The problem is, you can't take it every day.

I wonder what it is about low test that affects sleep?

goshawk

Awards
Phenibut is the only OTC that works for me too. The problem is, you can't take it every day.

I wonder what it is about low test that affects sleep?
Ask you MD for a script for trazadone. Its an excellent sleep aid and may really boost nocturnal erections. Nocturnal erections maintain the *plumbing* in good working order.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Ask you MD for a script for trazadone. Its an excellent sleep aid and may really boost nocturnal erections. Nocturnal erections maintain the *plumbing* in good working order.
Funny you mention this, I do have a script for low dose trazodone. Only 25mg gives me a great night's sleep. I am just scared to take "head meds" every night due to risk of tolerance and dependency. So I try to rotate it with other things (like Phenibut), but nothing works as well.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Atavan (lorazepam) works on the gaba receptor, so I wonder if it would have some synergy with phenibut so that you can keep the doses low and avoid tolerance. Then again, might be a bad idea to take both together.

I might ask my doc about trazodone.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
RE: low test

I always sleep better when I take nettle root before bed.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Atavan (lorazepam) works on the gaba receptor, so I wonder if it would have some synergy with phenibut so that you can keep the doses low and avoid tolerance. Then again, might be a bad idea to take both together.

I might ask my doc about trazodone.
Ativan is addicting, and probably not a good idea to mix w/ phenibut.

Low dose trazodone seems like the safest script for sleep, I've read that more than once.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Have you been checked for sleep apnea?

It's something worth looking into if you wake up a lot through the night.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I have had plenty of insomnia but regardless, nettle isn't really sedating but when you do sleep..it's deeper than normal and I wake up feeling more rested.

The boost in free test is likely responsible for this.

Apnea sucks..it's the premier reason I don't push to be huge anymore. When I got over 195, I couldn't sleep worth a dam.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm getting tested for sleep apnea soon, I've woken up a few times and felt like I wasn't breathing, kind of scary.

I used to not have an issue falling asleep, but would wake up often and then fall back asleep quickly. Lately I can't seem to fall asleep and when I do, I still wake up often and stay awake longer.

It's hard to tell what's causing what. Maybe my insomnia is causing low test for me, or maybe low test is causing insomnia.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Maybe my insomnia is causing low test for me, or maybe low test is causing insomnia.
Seems to be a vicious cycle. I don't think I have apnea, never noticed any breathing issues. I've had two saliva tests that indicated high cortisol at night. I suspect this plays a role in insomnia, even though anti-cortisol supplements don't seem to be very effective. High cortisol can even lower testosterone I've heard, but not sure why.

Kata1yst

Awards
This may sound ridiculous to most people, but try to make it a habit of getting into bed around 9-10 PM if you don't already do so. Some doctors say that deep sleep between 10-2AM is crucial for hormones in the body. Ever go to bed at 10 or 11 and wake up 30 minutes later feeling refreshed as if you've slept for hours? Whenever this happens I feel really pumped the next day.

I had years of insomnia, felt like ****, and did not have morning erections. I usually get tired around 4-6PM and then I'm kinda wired towards evening time.

A few years back, I started taking fish oil + liquid Aminos at night before bed. I'd say it took a month or so to condition myself to sleep but when it finally happened it was great. Soon after, I was really horny and I guess my test levels have had to increase. Also, natural sleep w/o meds is the best. I've had prescriptions for Ambien, Trazadone(which gave me the worst headaches), Ativan, and some other stuff but all have their drawbacks.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
This may sound ridiculous to most people, but try to make it a habit of getting into bed around 9-10 PM if you don't already do so. Some doctors say that deep sleep between 10-2AM is crucial for hormones in the body. Ever go to bed at 10 or 11 and wake up 30 minutes later feeling refreshed as if you've slept for hours? Whenever this happens I feel really pumped the next day.

I had years of insomnia, felt like ****, and did not have morning erections. I usually get tired around 4-6PM and then I'm kinda wired towards evening time.

A few years back, I started taking fish oil + liquid Aminos at night before bed. I'd say it took a month or so to condition myself to sleep but when it finally happened it was great. Soon after, I was really horny and I guess my test levels have had to increase. Also, natural sleep w/o meds is the best. I've had prescriptions for Ambien, Trazadone(which gave me the worst headaches), Ativan, and some other stuff but all have their drawbacks.
Take 5mg Cortef 3:30PM see if that helps.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
This may sound ridiculous to most people, but try to make it a habit of getting into bed around 9-10 PM if you don't already do so. Some doctors say that deep sleep between 10-2AM is crucial for hormones in the body.
Yeah, I do this but if I don't take some kind of sedative I'll lay awake until 3-4AM, sometimes all night.

But you are right, deep sleep is required for hormones. I believe sleep debt is one cause for my low hormone levels.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Do you know if the quality of sleep on something like phenibut is still as great as though one were sleeping naturally + solidly for a full night?

Last night I took about 4 grams of it and didn't wake up once..was nice for once, but I question the quality of the sleep. I definately had pretty good dreams though.

Kata1yst

Awards
Yeah, I do this but if I don't take some kind of sedative I'll lay awake until 3-4AM, sometimes all night.
QUOTE]

I hear you bro, and trying to do it naturally is discouraging because it could take a long while before you get adjusted. I still stay up until around 3-4AM when my schedule gets out of wack.

Here are a few things that I've learned:
1. Stress sucks! Either from work, financials, relationships, or personal things. Even if it is something minor it may linger in your subconcious thus preventing you from relaxing. And they all add up. Knowing whats bugging you (and this could be low test. as well) and solving it in your head is much different than talking to a friend about it. Talk it out, you'll feel better -- Even if its the stupidest thing in the world...you never know. Then, you may realize there's something else bothering you that you weren't aware of,...get the picture?

2. Someone like you probable needs a consistent schedule. Obviously, you are capable of sleeping because you fall asleep around 3-4AM. If you get in the habit of eating at the same time, doing something relaxing at the same time, and literally getting into bed at the same time, you'll have a better chance of sleeping. Especially if you think about the great sleep you're about to have, really!

I'm not a doctor but I do know what worked for me. I had problems sleeping for 7-8 years, saw many doctors, tried pills, and at the end I still wasn't happy. My sleep problem was much more simple than it seemed.

Kata1yst

Awards
Last night I took about 4 grams of it and didn't wake up once..was nice for once, but I question the quality of the sleep. I definately had pretty good dreams though.
its great when you get sleep like that. Unfortunately most of that stuff doesn't allow you to go through the natural sleep cycle as intended for the body. Ex. If all you do is dream all night you could be pretty exhausted in the morning.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Getting your sleep cycle as close to natural as you can definitely helps.

I had insomnia for years until this summer and fall when I did almost constant field work and slept out in the open. I was tired from working and after reading for an hour or so after sunset, I would fall dead asleep and not wake up much until sunrise. A few weeks of that and I have to say, I felt the best I have ever felt. Definitely normalized a lot of hormones staying within a natural circadian rythym.

Now that I'm stuck at home with a wife who insists on staying up late (thus keeping me awake or partially awake) I can tell the difference in mood, energy, libido etc.