Thyroid Meds

rick055

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone heard that a short course of thyroid hormone can "jump start" a sluggish thyroid?

It would seem to me that introducing any exogenous hormone would disrupt its axis and cause it to lower endogenous production, but is there a rebound effect with thyroid?

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone heard that a short course of thyroid hormone can "jump start" a sluggish thyroid?

It would seem to me that introducing any exogenous hormone would disrupt its axis and cause it to lower endogenous production, but is there a rebound effect with thyroid?

Im not sure if this has been proven, but here is my thought on this (backed up by some anecdotal plus some other info scattered around). Since the thyroid/adrenals and testosterone are so interrelated, I believe that by using (especially t3) thyroid meds, you can (1) clean out reverse t3 and thus reboot the thyroid. Also you can (2) rebalance your thyroid, allowing your cortisol and adrenal levels to rebalance, which then will rebalance an underactive thyroid (especially when tsh is normalish but free t3 and free t4) are off. So those are just two ways I think you could theoretically 'fix' your thyroid. Another thing is to look into adequate iodine levels and reduction of goitergenic foods and fluorine/bromine.

Champ50

Awards
Im not sure if this has been proven, but here is my thought on this (backed up by some anecdotal plus some other info scattered around). Since the thyroid/adrenals and testosterone are so interrelated, I believe that by using (especially t3) thyroid meds, you can (1) clean out reverse t3 and thus reboot the thyroid. Also you can (2) rebalance your thyroid, allowing your cortisol and adrenal levels to rebalance, which then will rebalance an underactive thyroid (especially when tsh is normalish but free t3 and free t4) are off. So those are just two ways I think you could theoretically 'fix' your thyroid. Another thing is to look into adequate iodine levels and reduction of goitergenic foods and fluorine/bromine.
I'm in the middle of doing just that right now- resetting my thyroid/flushing out all the reverse t3.

I'll keep you guys updated if you'd like. Will be doing complete blood, saliva and urine work once I titrate down off the t3 in early jan to see how everything panned out.

rick055

Awards
  • Established
(especially when tsh is normalish but free t3 and free t4) are off.
Per my last set of labs, this is essentially what I found.

TSH was in the low 3's, free T4 was the lowest number of normal range (0.9, I think), Total T3 was very low normal, didn't run Free T3.

I'm redoing labs today, checking everything.

rick055

Awards
  • Established
I'll keep you guys updated if you'd like.
I would very much liked to be kept in the loop.

Do you mind sharing your usage info? I would like to share it with my doctor.

How much are you on for how long?

-------=

I think my thyroid is (at least) slightly off, but I would hate to be on another med for life, especially since I just started TRT.

If I could "jump start" my own production, that'd be great.

What is the theory behind cleaning out reverse T3? Any links to the subject?

Champ50

Awards

-------=

I think my thyroid is (at least) slightly off, but I would hate to be on another med for life, especially since I just started TRT.

Ok well I'm using 45mcg split into 3 doses per day. I am now at this dose as I backed it down from 100mcg. I overshot my dosage because I had to travel to get LASIK done on my eyes and as I expected to need 90-100mcg to achieve proper temps and thereby achieve my proper dosage I didn't bother recording my vitals for a 12 day span that I was out of town figuring also that because of the travel and LASIK the data would be tainted anyway.

So at this point the doc figures my correct dosage is 45mcg and now that I've backed down to that dosage I'm just waiting for my temps to come up to 98.6 and maintain that for 2 weeks to confirm the dosage and then get blood work done to check my tsh,t3,t4, free t3 and reverse t3. Once I have the blood work done I will titrate off the t3 completely and have EVERYTHING tested to see if my body has reset itself and how everything has been affected. If it works as we are hoping it will my adrenals, thyroid and hpta will be working correctly again.

I just got back from Vegas so temps are way low today but I'm sure I'll bounce back within a few days and hopefully have my temps back up to where they should be. I partied way late and drank but just got buzzed not even "drunk" drunk so while I'm sure my adrenals didn't appreciate it I don't think I taxed them that badly and I have been living like a freakin monk before the trip and will do so again now to facilitate healing and wellness.

wondering

Awards
Your Tyroid looks low, should start with fixing that before Testosterone. T may level out once Thyroid gets fixed. Personally, Id rather take a pill (thyroid) than injections (test.) any day.

-------=