Anyone with Fin-induced low T who attempted SERM therapy?

galapagos

Awards
Is there anyone out there who used finasteride and experienced permanent low T as a result, and then tried a SERM (e.g. Nolvadex) to get them going again? In particular I'm looking for someone who did not use testosterone, hCG, or other products that cause androgen-mediated negative feedback in the process.

Is there anyone out there who fits this description? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about how this treatment worked.

Thanks.

Kasumeat

Awards
I never used AAS, but I was put on Clomid while I was suffering from secondary hypogonadism. I experienced notable improvement, but the side-effects were quite nasty compared to the benefits. Total T was above the lab range, but free T was below! After I stopped taking it, everything went back to how it was before I had taken it.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I never used anabolic steroids, but I was put on Clomid while I was suffering from secondary hypogonadism. I experienced notable improvement, but the side-effects were quite nasty compared to the benefits. Total T was above the lab range, but free T was below! After I stopped taking it, everything went back to how it was before I had taken it.
What were the side effects, did you returned to normal after you stopped using it.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I used Clomid with no success. I dont think many post fin guys respond to usine SERMs but its worth a shot I guess.

Matt Skiba

Matt Skiba

Awards
Galapagos,
As you already know I'm suffering from post-finasteride side effects. Right now I'm using the product called Dermacrine Sustain which contains resveratol which I believe is a SERM. It is also supposed to not have any side effects. I've only been using it for 3 days so it's too early to tell if it does anything.

I have also read that clomid or nolvadex can have sexual side effects in themselves, also newer SERMs like Evista or Farestin can yield better success with less side effects, though I hear they are expensive.

I also read there's some newer substances that are awaiting approval, one of them is called raloxifen I think, and these drugs are going to be even more effective and less toxic. Google up third generation SERMs.

Good luck!

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Evista is the brand name of the drug raloxifene.

it is currently sold as an osteoporosis drug.

Kasumeat

Awards
What were the side effects, did you returned to normal after you stopped using it.
Bad acne, a bit of head hair loss, and body hair growth. The acne went away once I stopped using it, but the hair stayed the same.

galapagos

Awards
Haha, I almost thought you were referring to something really bad there...

Acne, hair loss, body hair...all just effects of our good friend testosterone. If you subsequently went onto TRT, I don't see how the results could have been much different.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Floaters in vision and basically acting like a b**** because of the estrogen, but that is only at high dosage.

Kasumeat

Awards
Haha, I almost thought you were referring to something really bad there...

Acne, hair loss, body hair...all just effects of our good friend testosterone. If you subsequently went onto TRT, I don't see how the results could have been much different.
The ratio of Benefits : Side effects has been better on testosterone injections than any other form of treatment I've tried so far. Clomid had more male androgenic side-effects than Androgel or test e, and the least improvements. Androgel was even worse for me: terrible estrogenic sides, nearly-as-bad androgenic sides, and the fewest benefits.

galapagos

Awards
Galapagos,
As you already know I'm suffering from post-finasteride side effects. Right now I'm using the product called Dermacrine Sustain which contains resveratol which I believe is a SERM. It is also supposed to not have any side effects. I've only been using it for 3 days so it's too early to tell if it does anything.

I have also read that clomid or nolvadex can have sexual side effects in themselves, also newer SERMs like Evista or Farestin can yield better success with less side effects, though I hear they are expensive.

I also read there's some newer substances that are awaiting approval, one of them is called raloxifen I think, and these drugs are going to be even more effective and less toxic. Google up third generation SERMs.

Good luck!
Matt Skiba,

I'd be interested to hear how your jumpstart attempt using these alternative products works out. What type of dosing schedule are you using? Do you plan to take another look at your T levels after you try this?

galapagos

Awards
I'm not exactly what role resveratrol would play in jumpstarting...

Resveratrol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suppose the mechanism would derive from the fact that it's a phytoestrogen, thus making it a "natural" alternative to a SERM. SERMs, as you may know, work by acting as weak estrogonic compounds that have high affinity for the estrogen receptor but activate it only weakly. The phytoestrogen composition of Dermacrine Sustain would attempt to do the same thing, but with what effectiveness?

As a sidenote, resveratrol inhibits the CYP3A4 class of liver enzymes, which are the same enzymes used to metabolize finasteride. I've speculated in the past, that inadvertent consumption of such CYP3A4 inhibitors (e.g. grapefruit juice, red wine, some antibiotics) may be to blame for some cases of side effects. Steady consumption of such inhibitors alongside finasteride would cause physiological levels of the drug to increase substantially. But this is just mere speculation...

Anyways, good luck.

Matt Skiba

Matt Skiba

Awards
I'm not exactly what role resveratrol would play in jumpstarting...

Resveratrol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suppose the mechanism would derive from the fact that it's a phytoestrogen, thus making it a "natural" alternative to a SERM. SERMs, as you may know, work by acting as weak estrogonic compounds that have high affinity for the estrogen receptor but activate it only weakly. The phytoestrogen composition of Dermacrine Sustain would attempt to do the same thing, but with what effectiveness?

As a sidenote, resveratrol inhibits the CYP3A4 class of liver enzymes, which are the same enzymes used to metabolize finasteride. I've speculated in the past, that inadvertent consumption of such CYP3A4 inhibitors (e.g. grapefruit juice, red wine, some antibiotics) may be to blame for some cases of side effects. Steady consumption of such inhibitors alongside finasteride would cause physiological levels of the drug to increase substantially. But this is just mere speculation...

Anyways, good luck.
Well I'm obviously not taking finasteride anymore, so I don't have to really worry about taking a "mega-dose" of it. But if I remember correctly the CYP3A4 enzyme also has effect on ketaconazole, which is the active ingredient in nizoral shampoo. I know that side effects from nizoral are nearly unheard of, but I wonder if maybe I should stop.

Anyhow, I've actually been making some pretty decent progress. I definitely feel better than when I started, and the fact that I've stopped caffeine has helped me out. I also feel better when I've slept more.

Other than that the one downside I've had is this new semester of college is kicking my ass. I've got an awkward schedule, and I've really just been kinda stressed out lately. My libido has taken a hit from this, and I've just been feeling kinda exhausted. Not to mention the pressures of staying out late and drinking and whatnot that comes with college.

Also my bottle of Paravol ran out, I feel like it's helped me out, but I'm thinking of maybe trying out something different and maybe more potent, like a Maca tincture.

Overall I really think I need to quit soda altogether and fight adrenal fatigue.

But today is the day I gotta order another stock full of supplements.

I'll be posting a really good article on adrenal fatigue on the propeciahelp forums so look for that.