Iodine deficiency

1. Registered User
    Answers

Iodine deficiency

I'm curious how many folks here have done a formal iodine loading test, or are currently supplementing with iodoral or other forms of iodine (kelp, etc) and what the effects (if any) have been.

I noted that Dr. Crisler commented on this briefly on another thread that he is close to recommending iodine supplementation across the board (if I read that comment correctly).

I just tried the quick and dirty "at home" iodine deficiency test that involves swabbing tinctured iodine on the skin and seeing how long it stays stained - supposed to stay there for 24hrs - mine has faded quite a bit in 4 hrs - which would indicate deficiency assuming what I have read about this test is accurate in any way.

2. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by user88777 View Post
    I'm curious how many folks here have done a formal iodine loading test, or are currently supplementing with iodoral or other forms of iodine (kelp, etc) and what the effects (if any) have been.

I noted that Dr. Crisler commented on this briefly on another thread that he is close to recommending iodine supplementation across the board (if I read that comment correctly).

I just tried the quick and dirty "at home" iodine deficiency test that involves swabbing tinctured iodine on the skin and seeing how long it stays stained - supposed to stay there for 24hrs - mine has faded quite a bit in 4 hrs - which would indicate deficiency assuming what I have read about this test is accurate in any way.
    I use 6 drops/day of Lugol's solution.
    At first my stool was comming out in lots of small pieces.
    Now do not see or feel any other difference.
    Did not tested iodine yet.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

A good read on the subject is "Iodine; Why you need it and why you can't live without it." by Dr David Brownstein.

My wife and I both use Lugol's at about 3 drops per day. She had an increase in energy from it..and she is diagnosed hypothyroidal.

My thyroid levels are within the norm. I noticed increased energy...a more lasting energy level throughout the day, better sleep and way better stool formation. They had been slightly loose/watery for years.

After a few more months on this dose we will both try to do the formal loading test to see where our respective doses should be.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Curious - how long did it take for you to notice the effects of the iodine supplementation?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Within a week to 10 days. Now I only really notice it if I miss a few doses.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. iodine deficiency
    By Imeniaan in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 06:07 AM
  2. If you are iodine deficient are you gauranteed to have thyroid problems?
    By superone in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 01:03 AM
  3. Can Iodine deficiency make your hair all kinky and crazy looking?
    By superone in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 10:03 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-13-2006, 01:55 PM
  5. receding face with calcium deficiency??
    By Mr.Black in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 12:02 PM