Iodine deficiency

user88777

Awards
I'm curious how many folks here have done a formal iodine loading test, or are currently supplementing with iodoral or other forms of iodine (kelp, etc) and what the effects (if any) have been.

I noted that Dr. Crisler commented on this briefly on another thread that he is close to recommending iodine supplementation across the board (if I read that comment correctly).

I just tried the quick and dirty "at home" iodine deficiency test that involves swabbing tinctured iodine on the skin and seeing how long it stays stained - supposed to stay there for 24hrs - mine has faded quite a bit in 4 hrs - which would indicate deficiency assuming what I have read about this test is accurate in any way.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious how many folks here have done a formal iodine loading test, or are currently supplementing with iodoral or other forms of iodine (kelp, etc) and what the effects (if any) have been.

I noted that Dr. Crisler commented on this briefly on another thread that he is close to recommending iodine supplementation across the board (if I read that comment correctly).

I just tried the quick and dirty "at home" iodine deficiency test that involves swabbing tinctured iodine on the skin and seeing how long it stays stained - supposed to stay there for 24hrs - mine has faded quite a bit in 4 hrs - which would indicate deficiency assuming what I have read about this test is accurate in any way.
I use 6 drops/day of Lugol's solution.
At first my stool was comming out in lots of small pieces.
Now do not see or feel any other difference.
Did not tested iodine yet.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
A good read on the subject is "Iodine; Why you need it and why you can't live without it." by Dr David Brownstein.

My wife and I both use Lugol's at about 3 drops per day. She had an increase in energy from it..and she is diagnosed hypothyroidal.

My thyroid levels are within the norm. I noticed increased energy...a more lasting energy level throughout the day, better sleep and way better stool formation. They had been slightly loose/watery for years.

After a few more months on this dose we will both try to do the formal loading test to see where our respective doses should be.

user88777

Awards
Curious - how long did it take for you to notice the effects of the iodine supplementation?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Within a week to 10 days. Now I only really notice it if I miss a few doses.