Blood donor & phlebotomy

oldschoolbean

oldschoolbean

Awards
My RBC is high. is it safe to go to a hematologist on Tuesday to give one pint of blood and then go to a blood bank & donate another one point on Friday of the same week? My RBC IS HIGH & my Hematocrit was 51. ! Iv got to get that down to 44-45 is normal . So I'm asking if my thinking is right the first pint will get me down to 48 then the second pint will get me down to 45... Yes I'm drinking lots of water!
With all this being high I am having my blood pressure problems. What your thoughts??

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My RBC is high. is it safe to go to a hematologist on Tuesday to give one pint of blood and then go to a blood bank & donate another one point on Friday of the same week? My RBC IS HIGH & my Hematocrit was 51. ! Iv got to get that down to 44-45 is normal . So I'm asking if my thinking is right the first pint will get me down to 48 then the second pint will get me down to 45... Yes I'm drinking lots of water! With all this being high I am having my blood pressure problems. What your thoughts??
I wouldn't recommend giving anymore than what you can give at the Red Cross when donating blood. How much test are you injecting and how often? There's also some herbal supplements you can take to help as well but I can't remember what they are. Someone should chime in on the names of them.

bigt405

bigt405

Awards
My RBC is high. is it safe to go to a hematologist on Tuesday to give one pint of blood and then go to a blood bank & donate another one point on Friday of the same week? My RBC IS HIGH & my Hematocrit was 51. ! Iv got to get that down to 44-45 is normal . So I'm asking if my thinking is right the first pint will get me down to 48 then the second pint will get me down to 45... Yes I'm drinking lots of water!
With all this being high I am having my blood pressure problems. What your thoughts??
I have been donating monthly for about 8 months to get mine back to normal. I am now going to go to every 6 weeks as it is lining out. As long as your rbc and hematocrit is high you should be fine but I would wait at least a week......

oldschoolbean

oldschoolbean

Awards
Do you go to a blood bank to donate every 6weeks or do you have to go to a hematologist? From what I know in my area they only let you donate once every eight weeks. So I had to go to a hematologist to get one Pint taken out , then he was going to do the second pint two weeks later but if I can just go and donate at the blood bank I would love to so I can help other people. But around here The blood bank just won't do it that often I think......

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Naringin and natto are the supplements that are being referred to, just FYI.

This seems to be a number that is changing now according to literature and discussions with my endo. They now seem to feel the level is higher towards 54 and in high elevations 55 would not be alarming. Now, I don't necessarily agree with that, but the doctors around here seem to be on board with this as my PCP has also heard the same.

oldschoolbean

oldschoolbean

Awards
After a phlebotomy or donating blood how many days after will you be at your lowest level?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
FYI Your hemoglobin is what they measure to assess you ability to donate. I believe as long as your hemoglobin is in range you qualify. Hemoglobin is the finger prick test. IMHO I would refrain from disclosing your hematologist visit and let them process you normally.

bigt405

bigt405

Awards
Do you go to a blood bank to donate every 6weeks or do you have to go to a hematologist? From what I know in my area they only let you donate once every eight weeks. So I had to go to a hematologist to get one Pint taken out , then he was going to do the second pint two weeks later but if I can just go and donate at the blood bank I would love to so I can help other people. But around here The blood bank just won't do it that often I think......
I alternate between Lifesouth and Red Cross. I donated today and my RBC was 16.3 :) working like a charm.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I alternate between Lifesouth and Red Cross. I donated today and my RBC was 16.3 :) working like a charm.
When you say RBC are you referring to your prequalificat finger prick? What was it the last time?

oldschoolbean

oldschoolbean

Awards
I'm down to 16. Something on the finger Prick & 46 on the other.
I was 18.3 finger & 52.4 on the other.
After going to a hematologist & had a phlebotomy then two weeks later I went to the donation place & donated .I passed on the two in one week when I Learned how good my numbers were........

proprotein

Awards
These are great posts. I am learning a lot from it.