High SHBG & Prolactin, very low E2 - anyone have ideas?

skinjob75

Awards
Hi guys, first post here. I got some blood tests done and have no idea where to start. My doctor wants me to go on testosterone and what I've been reading seems to indicate mixed reviews. So I'm hoping for some other options before trying this.

I've got very high SHBG, middle total testosterone, low free testosterone, and estradiol below the bottom of the range. I have been reading about lowering SHBG may balance the other hormones out but the go to herb, stinging nettle, may lower Estradiol or DHT, which I don't want to do.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm really lost here and feel horrible. I'm in my mid 30s and have andropause symptoms and it's hard to get out of bed.

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
Well, your title says HIGH SHBG and PROLACTIN, TRT will NOT solve either of those. Stinging nettles root extract won't do much, either.
SHBG is a protein made by your liver. Excess SHBG is a result of your liver being annoyed by a drug, infection, toxin, or allergic reaction.
PROLACTIN is a pituitary protein, and high levels need to be investigated because it could be a grandulom (or other issue).

Can you give us your actual lab numbers and ranges? TT, FT, E2, SHBG, LH, PROLACTIN, AST, ALT, ETC.
You need a competent MD.

Last edited:

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Well, your title says HIGH SHBG and PROLACTIN, TRT will NOT solve either of those. Stinging nettles root extract won't do much, either.
SHBG is a protein made by your liver. Excess SHBG is a result of your liver being annoyed by a drug, infection, toxin, or allergic reaction.
PROLACTIN is a pituitary protein, and high levels need to be investigated because it could be a granduloma.

Can you give us your actual lab numbers and ranges? TT, FT, E2, SHBG, LH, PROLACTIN, AST, ALT, ETC.
You need a competent MD.
I'm just curious as to why it matters even if he does have a granuloma considering that they are harmless and rarely need to be treated

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
IF I were your MD, and you have high prolactin, I would want to know why. (high prolactin is not good thing)
And if it was appropriate, you would be put a CABER to control it, until it was treated and your pituitary was healed.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Most likely due to glutathione depletion and the insult of inflammation on the liver caused by exogenous xenoestrogens. Since estrogen can increase prolactin as wel as low dopamine levels and low thyroid

skinjob75

Awards
Sorry for not coming back and updating sooner, I'm really struggling.

@ the matrix

How is glutathione depletion treated? I've heard this from someone else recently and tried to take some methylation supplements to increase glutahione. Very low dose methylB12 and methylfolate seemed to deplete me even more. I understand it's a long process but even at 1/16 of the smallest dose it's not manageable for me.

Do you have suggestions on how I can do or read up on this, or can you point me in the right direction?

@ JD261985

I don't have the labs available, but TT, FT, DHT are all middle to lower middle range. SHBG is always tops of the range or above. E2 isn't even registering, something like 13 and the minimum is 18. AST & ALT numbers are ok. Transferrin was either very high or very low. I'll try to get ahold of the numbers.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for not coming back and updating sooner, I'm really struggling.

@ the matrix

How is glutathione depletion treated? I've heard this from someone else recently and tried to take some methylation supplements to increase glutahione. Very low dose methylB12 and methylfolate seemed to deplete me even more. I understand it's a long process but even at 1/16 of the smallest dose it's not manageable for me.

Do you have suggestions on how I can do or read up on this, or can you point me in the right direction?

@ JD261985

I don't have the labs available, but TT, FT, DHT are all middle to lower middle range. SHBG is always tops of the range or above. E2 isn't even registering, something like 13 and the minimum is 18. AST & ALT numbers are ok. Transferrin was either very high or very low. I'll try to get ahold of the numbers.
You probably have alter genetic expressions in the COMT, SOD2 , and a few others which are preventing you moving forward. I just had the pleasure of having lunch with one of the most brilliant minds in this field Dr Ben Lynch where we discussed a lot of interesting pathways some of which are just newly being understood. I am actually in seattle washington for a week to attend conference and meet with a bunch of medical professionals who are just learning this new existing field. In these cases I would suggest working on the breaking system before you start applying the gas pedal. With out knowing detailed history is very difficult to know possible what genes may be expressing. By knowing your response to certain supplement will give a better indication of which ones are. The best suggestion I give to clients or medical professionals. "address the person and by doing so majority of the time the genetc expressions will correct on their own". I can see this in my own expereience with cases, that some times when practitioners who go into treating methylation make the person worse since the ground work has never been done. This goes the same for hormones as well. They tend to have one area of focus and basically tend put the other issues aside. One thing l have learned working with Dr Ben, is theory sounds good now show the medical reference citing it as well as it can not be more then 6 years old...

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Please look at the underlying pathology as many of these recommendations are great, but you are still not addressing the underlying cause. This is the problem with traditional medical approach. "Treat the symptoms not the person"

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Exactly, it's a bandaid that will just keep the "surface infection" down, without addressing the internal hemisphere or environment to fight it.
DaAMX,

You are preaching to the choir my friend, This was my goal to change the mentality and philosophy of how doctors approach patients to help address the cause not only the symptoms . Guess what my friend the process has gone better then one could ever imagine. I have been meeting with several medical professionals at conference through out the country over past few months. Remember silence is golden. Staying humble through this whole journey and let actions speak not words has been the best lesson learned..