Progesterone Reduce Prostate Size?

longrob

Awards
I am wondering if I should be taking progesterone to help relieve some mild symptoms of an enlarging prostate, namely increased night time urination.

I want to reduce the chance of prostate cancer and BPH by keeping DHT and Estradiol under control. I am on TRT and taking a small dose of hCG twice a week, and 100 mg of test per week.

I have heard reports of progesterone increasing Estradiol and being blamed for gyno. Also, I have seen reports that progesterone reduces prostate size and inhibits the effect of 5 alpha reductase.

This is contradictory. Does anyone know of any studies showing whether progesterone increases or decreases Estradiol, and would/would not be beneficial to prostate health?

SPR1GGAN

Awards
I am wondering if I should be taking progesterone to help relieve some mild symptoms of an enlarging prostate, namely increased night time urination.

I want to reduce the chance of prostate cancer and BPH by keeping DHT and Estradiol under control. I am on TRT and taking a small dose of hCG twice a week, and 100 mg of test per week.

I have heard reports of progesterone increasing Estradiol and being blamed for gyno. Also, I have seen reports that progesterone reduces prostate size and inhibits the effect of 5 alpha reductase.

This is contradictory. Does anyone know of any studies showing whether progesterone increases or decreases Estradiol, and would/would not be beneficial to prostate health?
Saw palmetto and Nettle Root both have very good effects on the prostate. Nettle Root stops conversion of test to DHT. I would look in to these supps first and foremost.

To your question of progesterone: I have no studys on hand that I could cut and paste. I do have access to a large database of medical journal subscriptions through my University. I'll take a look for you later. But I personally use progesterone cream. My MD gave me a script to act as a balancing effect on E2 levels. I have heard one person say that it gave him gyno, but all the information *I've* seen shows it to balance E2 levels and act as a mild AI. Progesterone gets a wrap as being a "female" hormone which IT IS NOT. It occurs naturally in both men and women. Women just use it more often as it comes in concentrated forms in "the pill" and is very high when they enter pregnancy.

When men take concentrated doses of progesterone it acts as a form of "male pill" as well... it is NOT a female hormone. It is NOT an estrogen. I have read some people saying it sensitizes estrogen receptors. I have also read it balances estrogen levels. Its hard to say for sure, but almost exclusively: If you do not have high levels of estrogen then you will not develop gyno. High levels of E2 + Progesterone can have a synergistic effect and stimulate breast tissue growth, yes... but just high levels of progesterone? I don't think so.

But you want journals / studys, not bro-science... and I would say this: Keep looking. Don't take my word on it... or my MD's... or anyone who doesn't show you a study. There's just too much conflicting information. What there ISN'T conflicting information on is: Saw Palmetto & Nettle Root.

nutrilite.com/en-us/media/Bro_Clinicals_SawPalm_1204.pdf

I have no information on the company who did this study, but the results are promising. Good luck!