If you are iodine deficient are you gauranteed to have thyroid problems?

superone

Awards
  • Established
I did the 24 hour iodine urine excretion test, and my excretion was 54%, and ive read that if you have sufficient levels of iodine your body will excrete 90% of it, and if you excrete any less than you have low iodine levels. Is this test even accurate? What happens if your body systems arent working properly and your body isnt excreting all the iodine that it should and the iodine in your system is doing more damage than good?

But if this test is accurate, then would somebody who is iodine deficient be gauranteed to have or develop thyroid problems? I mean it seems like 90% of the population would be iodine deficient if they did this test, yet most people dont even have a clue about this stuff and are just fine and healthy with no problems.

Why would i be any different then these people and for some reason be deficient in iodine? I ate the normal diet everybody else does.

Would really like some insight on this. Thanks!

keeper

Not to derail, but I have a question. Do you have any symptoms when you're iodine deficient? I ask b/c I've heard that salt cravings are a symptom.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Not to derail, but I have a question. Do you have any symptoms when you're iodine deficient? I ask b/c I've heard that salt cravings are a symptom.
honey salt craving is adrenal related..being at your transitional age in life and dealing with women weekly in your position I would highly suggest getting your estrgens and progesterone saliva or blood spot checked because 80% of women I have consulted with have blown adrenals (not high , but instead). ZRT does a great job of both or if you have a good provider genova.

keeper

honey salt craving is adrenal related..being at your transitional age in life and dealing with women weekly in your position I would highly suggest getting your estrgens and progesterone saliva or blood spot checked because 80% of women I have consulted with have blown adrenals (not high , but instead). ZRT does a great job of both or if you have a good provider genova.
Thanks, but I wasn't asking for myself, but my son. He has always craved salt, especially at night. He is healthy and is not overweight, just loves salt.

superone

Awards
  • Established

Matrix, how many people do you see that are iodine deficient according to the 24 hour loading test? Is this an accurate test? And if so, what problems do these iodine deficient people have? My excretion rate was only 54% and its supposed to be 90%.

Thanks.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Matrix, how many people do you see that are iodine deficient according to the 24 hour loading test? Is this an accurate test? And if so, what problems do these iodine deficient people have? My excretion rate was only 54% and its supposed to be 90%.

Thanks.
Vast majority 75% or greater.. especailly in spot test as well which is shocking. The spot test is same used to determine iodine defieincy across the world. The question is "how accurate is the loading test" I think it holds some credibility.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thats very interesting, thanks for letting me know.

Okay, so since thyroid tests cant accurately tell if somebody is hypothyroid, basically if your average temperature during the day/evening is not 98.6, does this mean you are hypothyroid?

Because my temperature doesnt ever reach this or overage this, and im holding water in my face no matter what the **** i try to do and its REALLY pissing me the hell off! Its making my face look like crap and loose and soft with sagging looking skin due to the water retention dragging my face down. I never had this problem before i took stimulants which crashed my adrenals and even on Cortef this problem isnt going away. I hope to god i didnt permanently **** up my thyroid but it seems like Free T3 and T4 levels are good, just my stupid cells arent using them properly.

I dont know what the hell to do. Ive tried zinc, selenium, magnesium, iodine,ect and its not working. I can literally tap my cheeks and see the water inside move around. Its not normal. Nothing will get rid of this that ive tried. My next thing to try it mega doses of bladderwrack and irish moss seaweed to see if the natural organic iodine in it works for me.

Do you have any idea what this problem is and how to get rid of this bullshit? Im very fit and very muscular with a 6 pack and i dont even work out or diet. I was always muscular and lean, my muscles were never this big and my abs were never this lean, and i never held any water before in my cheeks. Now my muscles are bigger and my abs are showing more yet im holding water in my cheeks. This isnt normal and dont know what the hell happened but its not going away. Ive eaten extremely clean at times, tried manipulating sodium and potassium, no different.

90% of the people out there are not as fit and lean as i am yet i dont see them holding the same water in their cheeks and them not having that puffy/bloated face. And my skin look like crap its not clear and is red a lot of the times.

Pretty soon im just going to go on a total water fast forever because im getting sick of this bullshit already.

The only thing i can think of is my temperature doesnt reach 98.6 and i dont know what this means. I physically feel good and can do a lot of physical work, but my damn cheeks are always holding this water. My blood pressure good and sitting to standing blood pressure raises around 15 points, which means adrenals are supported, so i dont know what the hell is causing this but it is not normal forsure.

Ive tried lowering estrogen in the past and this made no change at all, and there are woman out there that have 100 times more estrogen than me, that arent holding water in there cheeks and bloated/puffy like this. They have more facial fat and fattier cheeks because of the estrogen, but there face isnt holding any water like mine, so there is a definite problems and i cant seem to find the answer or solution.

Can gut issues cause a puffed up swollen face with puffy cheeks filled with water?

I would really appreciate your help if you have the time im really running out of idea's and solutions here.

Thanks.
You need further evaluation of thyroid to rule that out
FT3 and ft4 does not show crap..

superone

Awards
  • Established
You need further evaluation of thyroid to rule that out
FT3 and ft4 does not show crap..
Like what evaluation? I was expecting a lot better response from somebody so knowledgable, im very disapointed and frustrated. Seems like nobody wants to help me out.

I did have RT3 tested last year and it was too high in ratio to my Free T3 and the doc did put me on T3 and i did a few cycles of that so the RT3 should have been cleared out.

I guess i need to waste thousands of dollars i dont have to try and fix this myself.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Like what evaluation? I was expecting a lot better response from somebody so knowledgable, im very disapointed and frustrated. Seems like nobody wants to help me out.

I did have RT3 tested last year and it was too high in ratio to my Free T3 and the doc did put me on T3 and i did a few cycles of that so the RT3 should have been cleared out.

I guess i need to waste thousands of dollars i dont have to try and fix this myself.
Nope
Just the appropiate tests instead of playing guessing game
"Should have cleared out" You need to retest it.
goto my journal and look at the thyroid testing and do a complete panel.
With out anything to go on its like plating russian roulete...With peoples health I do not play quessing games. Give me some thing concrete to go off and any one here would agree with me 100%.. I use blood test as an assessment tool to help guide what could possible be out of balance. Your symptoms could be related to potentially hormone imbalances. Last year is not acceptable to see what is going on now..Get fresh blood then go from there.

BTW rt3 is not relative to ft3 but more so total t3 ..thats a problem right there. You need to look at the entire pie not just a single piece..

Trying to fix it your self that is going to be the biggest mistake you will ever make and end up months or even years chasing your tail..

I"m sorry to dissapoint you but logic rules over between shot gun approach.

superone

Awards
  • Established
Nope
Just the appropiate tests instead of playing guessing game
"Should have cleared out" You need to retest it.
goto my journal and look at the thyroid testing and do a complete panel.
With out anything to go on its like plating russian roulete...With peoples health I do not play quessing games. Give me some thing concrete to go off and any one here would agree with me 100%.. I use blood test as an assessment tool to help guide what could possible be out of balance. Your symptoms could be related to potentially hormone imbalances. Last year is not acceptable to see what is going on now..Get fresh blood then go from there.

BTW rt3 is not relative to ft3 but more so total t3 ..thats a problem right there. You need to look at the entire pie not just a single piece..

Trying to fix it your self that is going to be the biggest mistake you will ever make and end up months or even years chasing your tail..

I"m sorry to dissapoint you but logic rules over between shot gun approach.

Yeah but ive tried numerous T3 cycles to clear out the RT3, so why they hell would it keep coming back? These are the real answers people need not to stay on drugs for the rest of our lives. And it is a ratio between RT3 and Free T3, not total T3. Total T3 is useless as its bound T3 that doesnt do us any good. And at the time when i got my RT3 tested my total T3 was high above the range and yet my temps still showed hypothyroid. My Free T3 was almost at the top of normal but my RT3 was too high in ratio to it, and thats proof its not Total T3 to RT3 ratio because my temps still showed hypo. I dont know who gave you that info but its wrong.

And what do you expect people to do? No wonder people are trying to treat themselves, they cant get any help or solution from anybody or any doctor and they are sick of dealing with there situation.

Just like this question, tell me why i get more tired right after i take a crap? What is going on there? After i poop i feel like going to sleep and feel wiped out. I'll bet nobody can tell me the answer to that one. Its extremely hard to find answers these days and we are forced to take things in our own hands.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but ive tried numerous T3 cycles to clear out the RT3, so why they hell would it keep coming back? These are the real answers people need not to stay on drugs for the rest of our lives. And it is a ratio between RT3 and Free T3, not total T3. Total T3 is useless as its bound T3 that doesnt do us any good. And at the time when i got my RT3 tested my total T3 was high above the range and yet my temps still showed hypothyroid. My Free T3 was almost at the top of normal but my RT3 was too high in ratio to it, and thats proof its not Total T3 to RT3 ratio because my temps still showed hypo. I dont know who gave you that info but its wrong.

And what do you expect people to do? No wonder people are trying to treat themselves, they cant get any help or solution from anybody or any doctor and they are sick of dealing with there situation.

Just like this question, tell me why i get more tired right after i take a crap? What is going on there? After i poop i feel like going to sleep and feel wiped out. I'll bet nobody can tell me the answer to that one. Its extremely hard to find answers these days and we are forced to take things in our own hands.
If your levels were at top of the range then by having low cortisol levels this will cause a build up in the blood and defieincy at tissue. By using t3 only it could have added extra stress to your adrenals causing them to crash leaving you in the state you are in now. First step get cortisol adrenal salvia test. Then assess things from their. Also look at a hair analysis or FIA 5000 test (265 at participating dr )> FInd our why you high on rt3 rule out mineral imbalnaces. After you take a crap you are using what is called ATP which can be depleted in hypothyroid. I would may be try some creatine 2-5 mgs it may help to get mitochondrion fired up indirectly. You could have a low ATP which could be resulting from thyroid defieincy at the tissue or other factors.

taking matters in your own hands means self treating
Instead you should be thinking about being more proactive and not thinking about playing dr. Goto the thyroid boards and see how many of them end up spending years chasing their tail.

I have seen numerous labs with people with upper total and free levels and feel like crap. Ran adrenal profile and violia they had low cortisol level or low ferritin.

superone

Awards
  • Established
If your levels were at top of the range then by having low cortisol levels this will cause a build up in the blood and defieincy at tissue. By using t3 only it could have added extra stress to your adrenals causing them to crash leaving you in the state you are in now. First step get cortisol adrenal salvia test. Then assess things from their. Also look at a hair analysis or FIA 5000 test (265 at participating dr )> FInd our why you high on rt3 rule out mineral imbalnaces. After you take a crap you are using what is called ATP which can be depleted in hypothyroid. I would may be try some creatine 2-5 mgs it may help to get mitochondrion fired up indirectly. You could have a low ATP which could be resulting from thyroid defieincy at the tissue or other factors.

taking matters in your own hands means self treating
Instead you should be thinking about being more proactive and not thinking about playing dr. Goto the thyroid boards and see how many of them end up spending years chasing their tail.

I have seen numerous labs with people with upper total and free levels and feel like crap. Ran adrenal profile and violia they had low cortisol level or low ferritin.

Thanks Matrix, but ive been on 35mg of Cortef for 1 year, and 4-5 months after i started i did get thyroid retested to see if my levels would change, and they were 98% the same. Ive also been on Elemental Iron for a long long time and had periods when i stopped, and it made no difference.

I think possibly i have some toxins in me still that wont go away unless i do some far infared sauna treatments. Im going to by my own in a few months but in the mean time i must have some crap in me that is travelling around in my body. Ive read that when you have toxins or crap in your body you will retain water to dilute the toxins. This is all i can think of other than the iodine issue. I did try iodine in the past but this time im going to try iodine, selenium, and magnesium. I cant do any harm with these because im going to take iodine from organic irish moss and bladderwrack seaweed, topical magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate, and angtrom sized selenium. This way the particles are so small and water soluble, that if my body or cells dont need it they will get rid of it via urine or bile.

What do you think?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Matrix, but ive been on 35mg of Cortef for 1 year, and 4-5 months after i started i did get thyroid retested to see if my levels would change, and they were 98% the same. Ive also been on Elemental Iron for a long long time and had periods when i stopped, and it made no difference.

I think possibly i have some toxins in me still that wont go away unless i do some far infared sauna treatments. Im going to by my own in a few months but in the mean time i must have some crap in me that is travelling around in my body. Ive read that when you have toxins or crap in your body you will retain water to dilute the toxins. This is all i can think of other than the iodine issue. I did try iodine in the past but this time im going to try iodine, selenium, and magnesium. I cant do any harm with these because im going to take iodine from organic irish moss and bladderwrack seaweed, topical magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate, and angtrom sized selenium. This way the particles are so small and water soluble, that if my body or cells dont need it they will get rid of it via urine or bile.

What do you think?[/QUOTE

First of all I would test blood while on cortef to see where your levels actually are. Our patients have blood drawn one hour after taking morning dose of cortef to see if they are taking the right dose if its too much or not enough. 35 mgs in many aspect is over kill and it could be causing a thyroid depletion at the blood level. The next step would be look at your electrolyte imbalnaces through tissue hair analaysis. if interest PM me. You just have to attack this from all angles..i would start to look at your gut and potential liver imbalances which could be affecting your thyroid conversion. if your t4 is dumped then your thyroid conversion is working efficently and your cortisol level may even be a little high. I would try to start bringing down cortef to 30 mgs for a month then see how you feel. If you work out take 35 on days off take 30..

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

Instead of cycling T3
stay on it for at least a year.

your goals on thyroid:
priority #1
RT3 in lower half of range, TotalT3 in upper 1/3 range
priority #2
FreeT3~400pg/dL or higher, even over the top range

Keep checking your pulse.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Do not go by any ratios.
Supplying only T3 may deplete
RT3 (good)
and
T4 (indiferent, but it makes you vulnerable if you would run out of supply of T3)

Unless you are under close doctor's supervision or/and close to ER, always have some T4 when you are supplementing T3. That way you always have some T4 and your body have basic material to use when it needs T3.

For example, I am using this combination now, had blood drawn today, waiting for results.

1.5GrainArmour(T4+T3) + 25mcgCytomel(T3) + 25mcgCytomel(T3)

superone

Awards
  • Established

What do you think?[/QUOTE

First of all I would test blood while on cortef to see where your levels actually are. Our patients have blood drawn one hour after taking morning dose of cortef to see if they are taking the right dose if its too much or not enough. 35 mgs in many aspect is over kill and it could be causing a thyroid depletion at the blood level. The next step would be look at your electrolyte imbalnaces through tissue hair analaysis. if interest PM me. You just have to attack this from all angles..i would start to look at your gut and potential liver imbalances which could be affecting your thyroid conversion. if your t4 is dumped then your thyroid conversion is working efficently and your cortisol level may even be a little high. I would try to start bringing down cortef to 30 mgs for a month then see how you feel. If you work out take 35 on days off take 30..

Thanks Matrix, so i should do a regular Cortisol blood test one hour after my first 8am dose of Cortef?

The reason why i dont think my Cortisol levels are high is because my blood pressure stays around 100/60 and this is testing around 30-60 minutes after my first 8am 10mg dose of Cortef. When i stand my top systolic number raises around 15 points which is supposed to mean well supported adrenals. Pulse is around in the 50's usually around 58 but i am fit and i do do physical stuff so thats supposed to be a good thing. Only thing is this damn temperature doesnt reach 98.6 its usually around 97.9.

If you could send me a PM regarding the electrolyte balance i would appreciate it. Only thing is i am in Canada.

The only things i can think of to help my gut would be a lot of really good probiotics, some metabolic and digestive enzymes, milk thistle and dandelion for the liver, and some cleansing or fasting on fresh green juices and some wheatgrass. That should atleast help clean up the gut some, but the problem is money right now.

What effect does having low T3 or T4 levels have on IGF-1 levels? Are these effects the same on IGF-1 levels even if my Free T3 and T4 levels are not low, but the cells arent taking them up?

How do i make my cells more sensative to thyroid hormones?

superone

Awards
  • Established
Instead of cycling T3
stay on it for at least a year.

your goals on thyroid:
priority #1
RT3 in lower half of range, TotalT3 in upper 1/3 range
priority #2
FreeT3~400pg/dL or higher, even over the top range

Keep checking your pulse.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Do not go by any ratios.
Supplying only T3 may deplete
RT3 (good)
and
T4 (indiferent, but it makes you vulnerable if you would run out of supply of T3)

Unless you are under close doctor's supervision or/and close to ER, always have some T4 when you are supplementing T3. That way you always have some T4 and your body have basic material to use when it needs T3.

For example, I am using this combination now, had blood drawn today, waiting for results.

1.5GrainArmour(T4+T3) + 25mcgCytomel(T3) + 25mcgCytomel(T3)

Ive never had any luck with trying thyroid meds. My adrenals can handle them though because ive tried all kinds of doses of Cortef while on T3, and i always feel brain fogged and not calm on T3, no matter the dose. My energy is also not stable on T3 and i just cant seem to feel good on it. I dont feel normal on it. Ive tried armour in the past aswell and the same thing, i just feel better off of thyroid meds.

I feel normal on Cortef. When i take doses of Cortef i dont feel any different and my mind state, emotions,ect, stay the same, but on T3 this changes my brain function or something and i dont like it.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Matrix, so i should do a regular Cortisol blood test one hour after my first 8am dose of Cortef?

The reason why i dont think my Cortisol levels are high is because my blood pressure stays around 100/60 and this is testing around 30-60 minutes after my first 8am 10mg dose of Cortef. When i stand my top systolic number raises around 15 points which is supposed to mean well supported adrenals. Pulse is around in the 50's usually around 58 but i am fit and i do do physical stuff so thats supposed to be a good thing. Only thing is this damn temperature doesnt reach 98.6 its usually around 97.9.

If you could send me a PM regarding the electrolyte balance i would appreciate it. Only thing is i am in Canada.

The only things i can think of to help my gut would be a lot of really good probiotics, some metabolic and digestive enzymes, milk thistle and dandelion for the liver, and some cleansing or fasting on fresh green juices and some wheatgrass. That should atleast help clean up the gut some, but the problem is money right now.

What effect does having low T3 or T4 levels have on IGF-1 levels? Are these effects the same on IGF-1 levels even if my Free T3 and T4 levels are not low, but the cells arent taking them up?

How do i make my cells more sensative to thyroid hormones?
On hair analysis it will show how your mineral balance are reflective to tissure response to the thyroid and also adrenal by giving you specific ratio of the minerals. Low t-3 causes low igf-1 and low T. Low estrogen also causes low igf-1 as well.

To help gut I would look at rebuilding the intestinal wall AKA leaky gut.
PRiimal defense seems to work very good to help with this. Start with one and work your way up to 6 a day then eventually hold that there for 2-3 months ..I would muscle test to see how many you need ..Start slow and work your way up. Super digestive enzyme by now caps one at each meal should help. Too much milk thistel can deplete ferritin levels. I suggest milkthistle to help chelate ferritin in hemocromatosis. You are probably having a functional defieincy of thyroid seems to be the most logical explaination. Iodine can destrouy good bacteria in your digestive tract as it is a anti septive to the whole digestive tract. Replace with primal defense by garden of life.

superone

Awards
  • Established
On hair analysis it will show how your mineral balance are reflective to tissure response to the thyroid and also adrenal by giving you specific ratio of the minerals. Low t-3 causes low igf-1 and low T. Low estrogen also causes low igf-1 as well.

To help gut I would look at rebuilding the intestinal wall AKA leaky gut.
PRiimal defense seems to work very good to help with this. Start with one and work your way up to 6 a day then eventually hold that there for 2-3 months ..I would muscle test to see how many you need ..Start slow and work your way up. Super digestive enzyme by now caps one at each meal should help. Too much milk thistel can deplete ferritin levels. I suggest milkthistle to help chelate ferritin in hemocromatosis. You are probably having a functional defieincy of thyroid seems to be the most logical explaination. Iodine can destrouy good bacteria in your digestive tract as it is a anti septive to the whole digestive tract. Replace with primal defense by garden of life.

Thank you very much for this info bro i really appreciate it.

How would i go about doing this hair analysis you mention? Seems like an important thing for me to do.

Thanks.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established