Sciatica issue- pain in glute

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Been experiencing nasty pain in my right glute

No lower back pain but can't sit in a hard chair or longer car rides are brutal.

No pain when I walk.

Been foam rolling, stretching etc in hopes for improvement but no avail.

Anyone else have an issue like this?

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Probably need to see a good Osteopath for an adjustment.

If he/she is good then they'll know what to do.

I had that bad back in 1999 because I didn't take care of it in it's early stages. Go and see a professional as soon as you can.

An imbalance of strength between lower back and abs together with tight hamstrings were the trigger for me so when you get back to regular workouts make those a priority if they aren't already.

Good luck with it.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks man, appreciate it!

Edenexodus

Awards
Similar thing for me as with jag. Not engaging my lower abs enough to brace low back, combined with tight hamstrings would make my glute and leg really painful.

I stretch a lot daily now, foam roll, and pay attention to how I'm standing and what not.

If it doesn't go away fairly quickly I would have it looked at by a chiropractor or something. Just to see what's up.

Adam1

Adam1

Awards
Try a lying pigeon stretch. Fixed mine. Took several sessions combined with other stretching. Ten minutes of the pigeon gave immediate relief, temporary but a noticeable reduction in pain.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Try a lying pigeon stretch. Fixed mine. Took several sessions combined with other stretching. Ten minutes of the pigeon gave immediate relief, temporary but a noticeable reduction in pain.
Thanks man, never heard of them but just looked them up....certainly worth a try

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Have been doing them. My daughter just started PT so I spoke with her person who gave me some ideas as well

Adam1

Adam1

Awards
Very good. I have completely eliminated my pain with daily stretching. I dedicated close to an hour for just back, hams and quad stretching on several occasions.

Scorpio91

Scorpio91

Awards
Sounds like me man it started in my right glute and worked it's way down to the backside of my knee over a few months. After 5 months of pain finally get the MRI and I have a bulging disc... I passed all the nerve tests at the doc FYI... leg raises all that and I have no numbness... anyways after a lot of research it should heal within a year with proper diet and exercise... id look up traction and strengthen your core like a mofo. Not saying you do have a disc issue but all my pain is was in my glute/ hamstring and not back as well

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Did you have lower back issues? I have none. It only flairs up if I sit on a hard chair for a while or if I have a long car ride

Adam1

Adam1

Awards
Mine is the same way. Flares up from sedentary activity. Desk work and long car rides (specifically when I'm driving). Could be as bad as a disc but could be simple as stretching ham strings and quads.

ozzie1987

ozzie1987

Awards
I have a slightly bulging disc, I've suffered with sciatica really really badly in the past. I did the damage lifting heavy stuff at work incorrectly doubled up with an ice hockey injury. At times I've had to jump out of my car in agony, I've had weeks off work, I had to sleep on the floor the bed was too painful and even stumble out of the cinema in pain. It kept coming back, I found things to avoid: don't sit on hard surfaces especially for long time periods. Don't stand up for longer than an hour, take a break, I found on nights out in town I'm hurting the next day. Cold weather brings it on too. I squat heavy and deadlift, but I can lift a 5kg plate with my back not correctly arched and throw it out for a week. It starts in my glute then it works down my leg to my calf and sometimes foot. I seem to have found a good balance and not had a flare up in a couple years but it used to be horrendous. You sound similar to me with the hard chair so it may be the same issue around the compression of the nerve. Good luck with it bro I know how bad it is. How old are you? I'm nearly 30, it started when I was 16 and was at its worst when I was 22.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ozzie, I am 45. My 14 yr old daughter fractured her coccyx and has a special pillow, not hemorrhoid but better so I have been using it, which helps tremendously. Specifically made so you tilt slightly forward, less pressure on the glute.

The fun thing is I am.aboit to start car shopping and will be asking the dealership to go on hour long car rides. ?

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Does the pain stay in your glute or run down the back of your leg? True sciatica tends to run down the back of the leg (often to the heel). If it stays in your glute, you could be looking at glute issues or SI or something else to that effect.

Pigeon stretch was a good suggestion, and if it's coming from tight piriformis (which runs over sciatic nerve) that may help. Active Release Technique to piriformis tends to be really useful for this too. If it's coming from nerve root (often disc-related), then that's a little tougher to treat...flexion-distraction, traction, strengthening core and low back may help, could also resolve with time and often disc bulges/protrusions/herniations will heal on their own (or at least become asymptomatic).

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I find the pigeon stretch on a box is amazing. Set it at a height which you can stand and you can really get a deep stretch.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Been stretching alot and also doing add/abductor machine, all seems to be helping

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
BW Hyperextensions with a rounded back may provide relief.