Electrotherapy, does it work?

Jacob24

Jacob24

Awards
I'm a college baseball player. Im a pitcher and my arm has been having some serious pain deep in my bicep from throwing. My trainer said to look into electro therapy. Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, definitely. A good TENS unit, when on EMS mode (pulsation), relieves deep adhesions and knots. It prevents tendonitis in my biceps due to the surgery I had. I had surgery for a SLAP tear, and biceps tenodesis. I also have a slight tear in my opposite shoulder. I use electrotherapy as general maintenance, and am practically pain free. It's also been great on my back, to relieve spasm / knots. I use it almost religiously on my scapular area.

If you ever get one, feel free to ask questions in here about it, but try to get some general guidance from a sports therapist on it's use. You have to connect the electrodes to the proper muscle bellies / areas, and learn your way around somewhat.

Jacob24

Jacob24

Awards
Yes, definitely. A good TENS unit, when on EMS mode (pulsation), relieves deep adhesions and knots. It prevents tendonitis in my biceps due to the surgery I had. I had surgery for a SLAP tear, and biceps tenodesis. I also have a slight tear in my opposite shoulder. I use electrotherapy as general maintenance, and am practically pain free. It's also been great on my back, to relieve spasm / knots. I use it almost religiously on my scapular area.

If you ever get one, feel free to ask questions in here about it, but try to get some general guidance from a sports therapist on it's use. You have to connect the electrodes to the proper muscle bellies / areas, and learn your way around somewhat.
Thanks for the response!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm a college baseball player. Im a pitcher and my arm has been having some serious pain deep in my bicep from throwing. My trainer said to look into electro therapy. Does anyone have any knowledge about this?
Pain Gate control but the research seems to be up in the air about it. Textbook yes, research studies eehhhh. I believe its more of what you combine with it as its only a tool to aid your recovery. Hopefully you should be seeing your trainer regularly and you can just use theirs daily if your schedule allows.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
FWIW - It's been shown/proven that 2 back to back 20min sessions on EMS mode is the best for pain control/rehab. I had an article on it somewhere.

I find 2 sessions the best, and slowly turn up the juice as time passes. This device has completely changed my training/life.

Jacob24

Jacob24

Awards
Thanks a lot guys. I'll talk to my trainer and see what she says about it.