INTERLEUKIN 15 (IL-15) what is it exactly ??

french_muscle

Awards
  • Established
(taken from www.readthecore.com)

Q 2: One of the huge dude’s at the gym said that IL-15 will make anyone a freak. Is it true?

A 2:

INTERLEUKIN -15 (IL-15)

This is one of the newer drugs appearing on the bodybuilding scene that I would like to comment only briefly on. The human body produces several growth factors that are mediators and intermediates. In short this means they translate or decrease/increase the effect of hormones and other growth factors.

A study published in the Journal of Endocrinology in 1995 showed IL-15 doubled the rate of hypertrophy in skeletal muscle tissue. Interesting? Well the same study showed that stacking IL-15 with IGF-1 (insulin like growth factor-1; the stuff GH is converted into by the liver and other sites) increased muscular hypertrophy (excessive development/growth) by 500%. How is that for mediation?

I have known only a few athletes whom have utilized this stack, and to be honest, I have always believed (and seen that) freaks can be created even from those with below average genetics anyway. Yes, the results were amazing. The down side of IL-15 use is that lack of research. Some have speculated that IL-15 can trigger cancer cell growth. However, available research has not shown a connection between IL-15 and organ growth as of yet. I will not, at this point, explain reported cycles or use. There is not enough research as of yet concerning possible negative side effects. However as more research becomes available, you can bet I will be happy to share the reported results.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

and here is the definition when I looked on the online medical dictionnary :

"Cytokine that stimulates the proliferation of T-lymphocytes and shares biological activities with interleukin-2. Il-15 also can induce b-lymphocyte proliferation and differentiation."

I know this got something to do with immunoresponse so I can't figure out how it can induce any anabolism like its said above ? I know its not the forum section for this but I didn't know where to post it ... any infos would be appreciated . thx

buckler

Awards
I would like to know as well. I've posted the same question on other boards and had no responce as well. Sounds promising

french_muscle

Awards
  • Established
hell yeah it is promising but I wouldn't play with that substance though ...

bump

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
IGF-1 causes cell hyperplasia, which would increase cancer cells if present too. Needless to say, I want some.

BigBub

Awards
IGF-1 causes cell hyperplasia, which would increase cancer cells if present too. Needless to say, I want some.
Where would you find IL-15 at? Possibly a board supporter like MR. This information is very intriguing and I too would also like to hear some more information on this product.

metabog

Awards
Where would you find IL-15 at? Possibly a board supporter like MR. This information is very intriguing and I too would also like to hear some more information on this product.
This Israeli Research Chemical supplier sells it:
http://www.prospec.co.il/
(do a search for Recombinant Human Interleukin-15)

Price is $50 for 2 μg, $130 for 10 μg, $3550 for 1000 μg
I'm not too strong on chemistry so I'm not sure how much a μg actually is. Or how much would be needed to trigger muscle hypertrophy.

Other research chemical suppliers in the US sell it too.
I've heard some of the top competitors have used it successfully.
Haven't found any information so far as to how it's dosed. Author L. Rea who writes for the Meso board mentioned it in his book "Chemical Enhancement" but didn't discuss how or where to get it or how to handle and dose it.

I'd guess that maybe teamliferesearch.com might offer it if it was cost feasible. They're already selling the Anti-Myostatin antibody.

metabog

Awards
Yup,
You're right, a μg is the symbol for the microgram (mcg) I'd only ever seen it expressed as mcg, I'm not a lab rat.

french_muscle

Awards
  • Established
damn i'm checking these sites right now thees a hell of stuff available on propec.co : transforming growth factors bone growth factors, fibroblast growth factors,nerve growth factors, etc ...And what about the "anti-Myostatin polyclonal anti-body" that sells for up to $2000 for 1000mcg .... geez... now I'm convinced you can go beyond your genetic potential :blink:. oh yea and recombinant IL-15 cost 1000 bucks for 2 vials each 250mcg/vial ... i'll skip that for the moment :run:

http://www.prospec.co.il/~prospec/cart/catalog/Cytokines__Growth_factors_1.html

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
team life research also has it, 250ug for $545., they also have IL2 - 500ug - $1000.

I think I left my checkbook in my other pants.....
:run:

buckler

Awards
I thought ug was mgs. look above. It doesn't make sence $50 for 2 mcg's. I'm pretty sure thats mgs. If thats the case then those prices are outstanding.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
yeah u=micro

I guess they could be good prices, depends on what a dosage would be?
I was figuring that 1 vail would be a cycle going by the rest of the stuff on the site. still too rich for me, that would by alot of pellets.

BigBub

Awards
Interesting... I think I may consider using myostatin antibody within the next year or so. I need more information on IL-15. My question is what dosages would a person need to see the muscle doubling effect that which the myostatin antibody claims to do. If this stuff becomes mainstream, we are are going to see some huge mother !@#$%^ around the bodybuilding scene.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Damn guys most of this stuff is research material. You want to go beyond your genetic max then use gear. It's safer then alot of these compounds.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
3 studies. IL-15 sounds actually as a safer alternative of IGF-1 for those concerned about cancer risks:

Interleukin-15: a novel anabolic cytokine for skeletal muscle.

Quinn LS, Haugk KL, Grabstein KH.

Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, American Lake VA Medical Center, Tacoma, WA 98493, USA.

Interleukin-15 (IL-15) is a recently discovered growth factor which is highly expressed in skeletal muscle. In order to determine a functional role for IL-15 in skeletal myogenesis, the effects of IL-15 on myoblast proliferation and muscle-specific myosin heavy chain (MHC) expression were analyzed using the mouse C2 skeletal myogenic cell line and primary fetal bovine skeletal myogenic cultures. IL-15 had no effect on [3H]thymidine incorporation, nor on the rate of myoblast differentiation, assessed by anti-MHC immunocytochemical staining, in either type of culture. However, Western blot analyses revealed that IL-15 used at concentrations of 10 or 100 ng/ml increased MHC accumulation five-fold in C2 myoblast cultures and 2.5-fold in primary bovine myogenic cultures. Moreover, C2 myotubes formed in the presence of IL-15 appeared larger than controls. These findings indicate IL-15 can stimulate differentiated myocytes and muscle fibers to accumulate increased amounts of contractile proteins. Well-fused primary bovine myogenic cultures treated with the mitotic inhibitor aphidicolin, then administered IL-15 and/or the anabolic growth factor insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), were analyzed for MHC accumulation using Western blots. IL-15 used at 10 ng/ml doubled MHC accumulation and was as effective as IGF-I used at 10 or 100 ng/ml. IL-15 and IGF-I used together increased MHC accumulation close to five-fold, indicating these two factors can act additively on muscle fibers. These findings indicate IL-15 affects parameters associated with skeletal muscle fiber hypertrophy, and suggest that IL-15 may be a novel anabolic agent to increase skeletal muscle mass.

PMID: 7628408 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
(*)

Association of interleukin-15 protein and interleukin-15 receptor genetic variation with resistance exercise training responses.

Riechman SE, Balasekaran G, Roth SM, Ferrell RE.

Department of Human Genetics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA. [email protected]

Interleukin-15 (IL-15) is an anabolic cytokine that is produced in skeletal muscle and directly affects muscle anabolism in animal and in vitro models. The contribution of IL-15 variability in muscle responses to 10 wk of resistance exercise training in young men and women was examined by measuring acute and chronic changes in IL-15 protein in plasma and characterizing genetic variation in the IL-15 receptor-alpha gene (IL15RA). Participants trained 3 days a week at 75% of one repetition maximum, performing three sets (6-10 repetitions) of 13 resistance exercises. Plasma IL-15 protein was significantly increased (P < 0.05) immediately after acute resistance exercise but did not change with training and was not associated with variability in muscle responses with training. A single nucleotide polymorphism in exon 7 of IL15RA was strongly associated with muscle hypertrophy and accounted for 7.1% of the variation in regression modeling. A polymorphism in exon 4 was also independently associated with muscle hypertrophy and accounted for an additional 3.5% of the variation in hypertrophy. These results suggest that IL-15 is an important mediator of muscle mass response to resistance exercise training in humans and that genetic variation in IL15RA accounts for a significant proportion of the variability in this response.

PMID: 15531573 [PubMed - in process]

Overexpression of interleukin-15 induces skeletal muscle hypertrophy in vitro: implications for treatment of muscle wasting disorders.

Quinn LS, Anderson BG, Drivdahl RH, Alvarez B, Argiles JM.

Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA. [email protected]

Interleukin-15 (IL-15) is a novel anabolic factor for skeletal muscle which inhibits muscle wasting associated with cancer (cachexia) in a rat model. To develop a cell culture system in which the mechanism of the anabolic action of IL-15 on skeletal muscle could be examined, the mouse C2 skeletal myogenic cell line was transduced with a retroviral expression vector for IL-15 and compared to sister cells transduced with a control vector. Overexpression of IL-15 induced fivefold higher levels of sarcomeric myosin heavy chain and alpha-actin accumulation in differentiated myotubes. Secreted factors from IL-15-overexpressing myogenic cells, but not from control cells, induced increased myofibrillar protein accumulation in cocultured control myotubes. IL-15 overexpression induced a hypertrophic myotube morphology similar to that described for cultured myotubes which overexpressed the well-characterized anabolic factor insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I). However, in contrast to IGF-I, the hypertrophic action of IL-15 on skeletal myogenic cells did not involve stimulation of skeletal myoblast proliferation or differentiation. IL-15 induced myotube hypertrophy at both low and high IGF-I concentrations. Furthermore, in contrast to IGF-I, which stimulated only protein synthesis under these culture conditions, IL-15 both stimulated protein synthesis and inhibited protein degradation in cultured skeletal myotubes. These findings indicate that IL-15 action on skeletal myogenic cells is distinct from that of IGF-I. Due to the ability of IGF-I to stimulate cell division and its association with several forms of cancer, controversy exists concerning the advisability of treating cachexia or age-associated muscle wasting with IGF-I. Administration of IL-15 or modulation of the IL-15 signaling pathway may represent an alternative strategy for maintaining skeletal muscle mass under these conditions.

PMID: 12372339 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

(* You can get the full text of this which is very interesting. Look at the graph when stacked with IGF-1. From the conclusions:
"The precise roles, mode of action, and regulation of expression of IL15 in skeletal muscle tissue remain to be defiid Unlike other anabolic agents such as anabolic steroids, GH, or IGF, which have multiple effects on a wide range of tissues, the effects of IL15 may be more tissue-specific. IL15 may therefore prove to be a useful agent for stimulating skeletal muscle growth or reversing skeletal muscle atrophy.")

duckway

Board Supporter
Awards
Thanks bro.. Kick ass write-up! Very informative.. Hmmm. Maybe some research is due.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
team life research also has it, 250ug for $545., they also have IL2 - 500ug - $1000.

I think I left my checkbook in my other pants.....
:run:
Damn I see they have added many peptides since I last looked at their site. What is the difference between systemic 12 hr IGF-1 and rIGF-1?

french_muscle

Awards
  • Established
Interesting... I think I may consider using myostatin antibody within the next year or so. I need more information on IL-15. My question is what dosages would a person need to see the muscle doubling effect that which the myostatin antibody claims to do. If this stuff becomes mainstream, we are are going to see some huge mother !@#$%^ around the bodybuilding scene.
peep the article i've posted on the myostatin protein http://anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26309

@SYR great article thx man ! ;)

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
peep the article i've posted on the myostatin protein http://anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26309

@SYR great article thx man ! ;)
Hey guys, i didnt write any article :) I just posted the three most relevant studies i found on pubmed ;)

About the myostatin (great article) i believe that more research is needed to understand the implication of such changes, it crosses the borders of gene therapy.
Instead the IL-15 is pretty straightforward: the cytokine seems to act only in regard to skeletal muscle. Its the safest thing at our disposal. I'm really convinced about this... I want it! :D

metabog

Awards
Instead the IL-15 is pretty straightforward: the cytokine seems to act only in regard to skeletal muscle. Its the safest thing at our disposal. I'm really convinced about this... I want it! :D[/QUOTE]
So let's say Team Life Research waived the price ($545 for a vial) and gave us all a vial of their Recombinant Interleukin 15, lypophilized powder with solution, 250 mcg. per vial.

Then what?
Daily dosage or other?
How many mcg. each dose?

There's a lot of dosing info about IGR-1 on this board but not much about rIL-15.
I know some of the top competitors are using it and the IGF-1, but not the particulars of dosage.
It's only a matter of time until this new genetic style doping takes hold.

buckler

Awards
I was told by Team life the dosing is anywhere from .2-.6 mcg/kg. So for a 215 lb guy the dosing is about 20mcgs at the .2 end of the scale IM ED.

gobig1

Awards
I asked Team LIFE a few questions (thanks guys for the quick answers), I cut and pasted the answers below, hope this helps a little. I am VERY interested in this compound as well!!!

What is the dosage/frequency of this product?

.20-.50mcg/KG ED (split dose in 3 for even blod
levels)

> How long would an effective cycle be?

20-30 days, although mamy have researched months on
end

> What is used to reconstitute the powder?

we supply a reconstituting solution that is
proprietary that is mostly aqueous based but is
optimized to maitain maximum potency of the compound

> What is the shelf life of the powder and after it is
> reconstituted?

it is stable at room tem for 2 weeks
in fridge 2-8C it is stable for 12 month to 18 months
after reconstituion it is stable for 35 days at 2-8C

gobig1

Awards
Asked some questions about the Anti-myostauin as well, cut and pasted below.

All the parametere here are the same as IL-15 EXCEPT
the propreitary diluting solution is slightly
different to optimize"for anti-Myo, antigens are
supplied in a concentrated special buffer solution as
the normal protocol and ours is 500mcg in 3 units, the
shelf life is 9-12 months at 2-8C and 2 months after
adding diluting solution

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
I asked Team LIFE a few questions (thanks guys for the quick answers), I cut and pasted the answers below, hope this helps a little. I am VERY interested in this compound as well!!!

What is the dosage/frequency of this product?

levels)
The short half life problem should be easily fixed by IBE "cell mediated" delivery. This stuff would really work great oral, if the cytokine can be made into a proper solution. I'm no chemist and I have no idea on how this compare molecularly to IGF and insulin.

I dont have time to do the math about cost, but this stuff is expensive nonetheless.

metabog

Awards
I's like to try a cycle and see the results from utilizing just these three compounds!
Say after about six to ten weeks. Need to find a genetic doping discounter.

IGF-1
rIL-15
anti-Myostatin

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
The IL-15 is sounding like a better and better idea by the minute. The myostatin antibody is intriguing, but Im still in the dark as far as dosing ammount, and IM vs sub q, etc.... Hey have any of you guys tried site injections of PGF-2a between cycles? Was it worth the money and trouble? If so wouldnt a LR3, IL-15, PGF-2 and myostatin antibody be the SH*T for inbetween aas cycles? Thats the rich mans off cycle stack!

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
The IL-15 is sounding like a better and better idea by the minute. The myostatin antibody is intriguing, but Im still in the dark as far as dosing ammount, and IM vs sub q, etc.... Hey have any of you guys tried site injections of PGF-2a between cycles? Was it worth the money and trouble? If so wouldnt a LR3, IL-15, PGF-2 and myostatin antibody be the SH*T for inbetween aas cycles? Thats the rich mans off cycle stack!
Never tried PGF-2a but i did some search in the past. The injections can cause very bad toilet issues. Transdermally could be worth trying.
I think Instynct (Team LIFE) knows the facts about dosing, at least based on pro BBers, the real problem with these new compounds is price.

IL-15 would be much more useful on cycle IMO+ eventually the first half of PCT, which is the most critical.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Never tried PGF-2a but i did some search in the past. The injections can cause very bad toilet issues. Transdermally could be worth trying.
I think Instynct (Team LIFE) knows the facts about dosing, at least based on pro BBers, the real problem with these new compounds is price.

IL-15 would be much more useful on cycle IMO+ eventually the first half of PCT, which is the most critical.
I agree that the prices are off the charts.

So your saying Team life will actually discuss parameters for human use with the customer? Thats a welcome change from what Im used to with theese research sites.

I too read about PGF2 giving people the runs from hell, but I thought it sounded like that only was a problem if either injected to close to abdomen, or in excessive doses.

Do you know where I could get it in transdermal form, SYR? or did you mean just buying the lyophized powder from team life and mixing w/ DMSO or something?

BigBub

Awards
I's like to try a cycle and see the results from utilizing just these three compounds!
Say after about six to ten weeks. Need to find a genetic doping discounter.

IGF-1
rIL-15
anti-Myostatin
That would be awesome. I would also like to try those three by theirselves for an extended period of time and then with AAS. Also, let me know if you have any luck on finding that genetic doping discounter

the anapolack

Awards
i know a VERY petite girl (4'9 90 lbs)....who wouldn mind growing an inch and put on a little weight........would any of this stuff help her?

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't know of anything that can increase the height of an adult short of that weird procedure where they break your legs in multiple places and then you use little knobs to stretch them out while they are healing.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Do you know where I could get it in transdermal form, SYR? or did you mean just buying the lyophized powder from team life and mixing w/ DMSO or something?
The second thing. Team LIFE is the only place that has it that i know.

For il-15 doses scroll up this thread theres the answer from TL guys.

tbonz169

Awards
I wonder if people using this are experiencing any problems with white blood cell count? IL-15 causes the proliferation of memory t cells, specifically cytotoxic t cells, which play a large role in intracellular infections (viruses/invasive bacteria).

buckler

Awards
levels)

Not sure why you'd split doses in 3 per day when the half life is 6.5 hours. So sounds more like 1 in the a.m. and 1 in the p.m.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
could IL-15 be sub q'd with the 29G x 1/2'' slin pins or does it need a longer needle to be IM'd ?

buckler

Awards
I was told by team life IM. But I'm sure you could use a slin pin just spot inj, delts.bi's tri's calfs. and be sure to rotate. I use a slin pin IM for most of my gear. haven't hit glutes for at least 2 years. To hard to twist anymore.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I was told by team life IM. But I'm sure you could use a slin pin just spot inj, delts.bi's tri's calfs. and be sure to rotate. I use a slin pin IM for most of my gear. haven't hit glutes for at least 2 years. To hard to twist anymore.

When I spot inject w/ the 1/2 inch pins I can never tell if its getting deep enough to get inside the muscle, it feels like its all soft tissue, it doesnt feel as tough as when I take the 1 1/2 inch to the glutes. But I cant tell, Ive only used the spot injection (w/ the 1/2 inch) with stuff that could be effective sub Q OR IM, never w/ something that absolutely had to be IM. Do you IM spot inj. w the 1/2 inch slins or the 1 inch slins?

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
I wonder if people using this are experiencing any problems with white blood cell count? IL-15 causes the proliferation of memory t cells, specifically cytotoxic t cells, which play a large role in intracellular infections (viruses/invasive bacteria).
Uhm.... do you have any studies referencing this?

buckler

Awards
When I spot inject w/ the 1/2 inch pins I can never tell if its getting deep enough to get inside the muscle, it feels like its all soft tissue, it doesnt feel as tough as when I take the 1 1/2 inch to the glutes. But I cant tell, Ive only used the spot injection (w/ the 1/2 inch) with stuff that could be effective sub Q OR IM, never w/ something that absolutely had to be IM. Do you IM spot inj. w the 1/2 inch slins or the 1 inch slins?
I use 1/2 inch. I guess I should have stated before that my body fat is pretty low all year round which I think gives me a little more options with a 1/2 inch pin .

tbonz169

Awards
Uhm.... do you have any studies referencing this?

Actually look in any immunology text. This was discovered because of its role in the immune system. I'm sure there are plenty studies on this out there if i get the time i will post some. But just do a little research anywhere and you will find out that these muscle enhancing properties were found secondary to its role in the immune system.

tbonz169

Awards
IL-15 Activates Telomerase and Minimizes Telomere Loss and May Preserve the Replicative Life Span of Memory CD8+ T Cells In Vitro.

Li Y, Zhi W, Wareski P, Weng NP.

Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224.

The preservation of the replicative life span of memory CD8(+) T cells is vital for long-term immune protection. Although IL-15 plays a key role in the homeostasis of memory CD8(+) T cells, it is unknown whether IL-15 regulates the replicative life span of memory CD8(+) T cells. In this study, we report an analysis of telomerase expression and telomere length in human memory phenotype CD8(+) T cells maintained by IL-15 in vitro. We demonstrate that IL-15 is capable of activating telomerase in memory CD8(+) T cells via Jak3 and PI3K signaling pathways. Furthermore, IL-15 induces a sustained level of telomerase activity over long periods of time, and in turn minimizes telomere loss in memory CD8(+) T cells after substantial cell divisions. These findings suggest that IL-15 activates stable telomerase expression and compensates telomere loss in memory phenotype CD8(+) T cells, and that telomerase may play an important role in memory CD8(+) T cell homeostasis.

A novel role of IL-15 in early activation of memory CD8+ CTL after reinfection.

Yajima T, Nishimura H, Sad S, Shen H, Kuwano H, Yoshikai Y.

Division of Host Defense, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan. [email protected]

A rapid induction of effector functions in memory T cells provides rapid and intensified protection against reinfection. To determine potential roles of IL-15 in early expansion and activation of memory CD8+ T cells in secondary immune response, we examined the cell division and cytotoxicity of memory CD8+ T cells expressing OVA(257-264)/Kb-specific TCR that were transferred into IL-15-transgenic (Tg) mice, IL-15 knockout (KO) mice, or control C57BL/6 mice followed by challenge with recombinant Listeria monocytogenes expressing OVA (rLM-OVA). In vivo CTL activities and expression of granzyme B of the transferred CD8+ T cells were significantly higher in the IL-15 Tg mice but lower in the IL-15 KO mice than those in control mice at the early stage after challenge with rLM-OVA. In contrast, there was no difference in the cell division in IL-15 Tg mice and IL-15 KO mice compared with those in control mice. In vivo administration of rIL-15 conferred robust protection against reinfection via induction of granzyme B in the memory CD8+ T cells. These results suggest that IL-15 plays an important role in early activation of memory CD8+ T cells.

Interleukin-2, interleukin-15, and their roles in human natural killer cells.

Becknell B, Caligiuri MA.

Medical Scientist Program, USA.

Natural killer (NK) cells are CD56(+)CD3(-) large granular lymphocytes that constitute a key component of the human innate immune response. In addition to their potent cytolytic activity, NK cells elaborate a host of immunoregulatory cytokines and chemokines that play a crucial role in pathogen clearance. Furthermore, interactions between NK and other immune cells are implicated in triggering the adaptive, or antigen-specific, immune response. Interleukin-2 (IL-2) and IL-15 are two distinct cytokines with partially overlapping properties that are implicated in the development, homeostasis, and function of NK cells. This review examines the pervasive effects of IL-2 and IL-15 on NK cell biology, with an emphasis on recent discoveries and lingering challenges in the field.

PMID: 15705423 [PubMed - in process]

Synergy of IL-21 and IL-15 in regulating CD8+ T cell expansion and function.

Zeng R, Spolski R, Finkelstein SE, Oh S, Kovanen PE, Hinrichs CS, Pise-Masison CA, Radonovich MF, Brady JN, Restifo NP, Berzofsky JA, Leonard WJ.

Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA.

Interleukin (IL)-21 is the most recently recognized of the cytokines that share the common cytokine receptor gamma chain (gamma(c)), which is mutated in humans with X-linked severe combined immunodeficiency. We now report that IL-21 synergistically acts with IL-15 to potently promote the proliferation of both memory (CD44high) and naive (CD44low) phenotype CD8+ T cells and augment interferon-gamma production in vitro. IL-21 also cooperated, albeit more weakly, with IL-7, but not with IL-2. Correspondingly, the expansion and cytotoxicity of CD8+ T cells were impaired in IL-21R-/- mice. Moreover, in vivo administration of IL-21 in combination with IL-15 boosted antigen-specific CD8+ T cell numbers and resulted in a cooperative effect on tumor regression, with apparent cures of large, established B16 melanomas. Thus, our studies reveal that IL-21 potently regulates CD8+ T cell expansion and effector function, primarily in a synergistic context with IL-15.

Note: CD8+ T cells are the same thing as cytotoxic t cells which play a large role in killing intracellular infections and releasing other important cytokines, stimulating an immune response.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Perhaps I'm getting this backwards but it looks to me that interleukin 15 increases immune response. Isn't that a good thing?