IGF-1 and prostate cancer

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Read this post on another site. Scares the crap outta me as I just started a cycle last nite. Thoughts??

Insulin-Like Growth Factor I Tied to Prostate Cancer Risk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Aug 18 - Levels of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) correlate with risk of prostate cancer, particularly in men not yet 60 years of age, European researchers report. However, since IGF-I is involved in well-being, "Maybe the increased risk of prostate cancer is the price men have to pay for being well-fed and happy," according to the lead investigator.

Dr. Par Stattin of the University of Umea, Sweden, and colleagues note in the August 1st issue of the Journal of Oncology that IGF-I has been consistently shown to be an important factor in cancer development. Furthermore, it stimulates proliferation and inhibits apoptosis in prostate cancer cells.

The researchers previously reported an association between pre-diagnosis IGF-I levels and prostate cancer, from a nested case-control study. In an extension of that study, they now report more precise data on risk.

The researchers measured IGF-I levels in blood samples from 281 men who were diagnosed with prostate cancer a median of 5 years after giving the samples. Levels of IGF binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) were also established, and the findings were compared with those in 560 matched controls.

There was a significant increase in prostate cancer risk with increasing IGF-I levels. This amounted to an odds ratio of 1.67 for those with the highest compared to the lowest levels. Even after adjustment for IGFBP-3, the ratio remained at 1.47.

For men who were aged less than 59 years at recruitment, the odds ratio was 4.12. Moreover, the odds ratio for advanced cancer was 2.87 times greater in men with the highest versus the lowest IGFI levels.

Thus the researchers conclude that the association appears particularly strong "for IGF-I measurements made at a comparatively young age and for advanced disease."

Nevertheless, IGF-1 may make a difficult therapeutic target, Dr. Stattin told Reuters Health.

"An obvious, logical step," he said, would be "to try to pharmacologically lower IGF-I levels. However, levels of IGF-I are associated with many physiological processes, including growth and sense of well-being."

J Clin Oncol 2004;22:3104-3112.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
i could be full of it, but alot of this science is bass ackwards. could the igf1 increase due to the cancer instead of the other way around? optimism?...

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There are many cancers that feed off of IGF1. Colon cancer is one such cancer. Prostate cancer, at least according to this study, is another such cancer. The IGF1 doesn't cause the cancer, it just makes it grow faster.

So, if you don't have a family history of prostate cancer, then you are probably in the clear. However, for the rest of you, be sure to take your saw palmetto :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tobias Sherman IGF-1/GH 16
IGF-1/GH 2
Anabolics 1
Supplements 3
Supplements 0