Puzzle=tough. Even Possible???

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Well, my manager at work gave me this mind boggler today...heres the rules....
1. Only one complete line is allowed.
2. You can retrace your own line.
3. You CAN NOT cross one of the box lines more than once.

I was told that there is 1 answer/possibility...i havent a clue.
I, no joke, tried this for 2 1/2 -3 hours today...i was stumped but will be trying later maybe. My manager tried for 3 hours last night, hes convinced its impossible...all he said was " cause there is an even number of lines..." Which he could not explain his theory....

Here is a paint version of the layout. Cross each line of the boxes ONCE(1) with one(1) line.

I highly recomend just drawing the layout on paper, we went though about 100+ each, me an a co-worker....to no avail.

Good luck....
EDIT: There is 16 lines to cross. It seems as though i get it crazy close, always one line left, any adjustments result in another line missed...this is ;leading me to think it is not possible.
View attachment 5square.bmp

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Well, my manager at work gave me this mind boggler today...heres the rules....
1. Only one complete line is allowed.
2. You can retrace your own line.
3. You CAN NOT cross one of the box lines more than once.

I was told that there is 1 answer/possibility...i havent a clue.
I, no joke, tried this for 2 1/2 -3 hours today...i was stumped but will be trying later maybe. My manager tried for 3 hours last night, hes convinced its impossible...all he said was " cause there is an even number of lines..." Which he could not explain his theory....

Here is a paint version of the layout. Cross each line of the boxes ONCE(1) with one(1) line.

I highly recomend just drawing the layout on paper, we went though about 100+ each, me an a co-worker....to no avail.

Good luck....
EDIT: There is 16 lines to cross. It seems as though i get it crazy close, always one line left, any adjustments result in another line missed...this is ;leading me to think it is not possible.
You can retrace your own line? Most brain teasers say you can't.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The real difficulty here is that an assumption is made, creating an unwritten rule. This unwritten rule, this self imposed limitation forces the problem solver to focus on the problem, NOT THE SOLUTION. By recognizing the problem (NOT FOCUSING ON IT) - a long line cannot enter and leave each space enough times without making an illegal crossing- we can find the solution. The solution is this: use a very wide marker of brush and cross the entire box in one diagonal line. All stated conditions are met, the problem is circumvented and the solution is found. Clearly this is not the intended answer, but it is indisputable.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
no, you can overlap it. NOT RE-run on it.
I just found the answer through google, please DO NOT ruin for others.

Goodluck!

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Answer: Unfortunately, this, one of the most popular classic puzzles, has no solution. At least, one wall always will be left unpassed.

It was easy proved by Martin Gardner. The proof (adopted to our case with the walls and rooms) is as follows: <<A continuous line that enters and leaves one of the rectangular rooms must of necessity cross two walls. Since the three bigger rooms have each an odd number of walls to be crossed, it follows that an end of a line must be inside each if all the 16 walls are crossed. But a continuous line has only two ends, so the puzzle is insoluble.>>

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
You missed right side horizontal in the middle.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I caught that when I looked it over. Deleted...but it gave me a good mental workout while at work. :woohoo: