~Let's Talk About LOST~

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone here watch it? I know I must be one of the most avid LOST fans because I will not miss an episode, nor will I let anyone interupt me during it. Phone goes off, girlfriend goes buh buy, and I am set.

It would be nice to have some others here to talk about what the hell is going on and share their threories. I hate going to the actual LOST boards at ABC because its flooded worse than bb.com, you make a post and a second later its on page 100, and your questions do not get answered.

bacchus123

Hells to the yeah man , im a serious fanatic too! Just when you think that the show can't get any better .... damn!!

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Sorry Myth... I tried to get into it and just too many unanswered/seemed to be forgotten questions. That show is now on my "No list"

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
See but that's the point, if they give all the answeres away there would be no allure to the show and it would just be another show. They are slowely answring ALOT, while also bringing in new twists and turns with many more questions. Its one of those shows that makes you think about it all week until the next episode comes on. I know after watching an episode I can't stop trying to figure it all out. Then when I think I do, BAM! They throw a curvball and i was somthing else.

Let's get some more people in here, because the last episode was so intense and I had a few Q's! Like:

1) Why can't Ben kill Whidmoore?

2) When Whidmoore said " I know what you are Benjamin", what the hell did that mean?

3) So Ben controls the smoke monster after all?

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
What is tha Smoke Monster?!?

I just caught last week's episode channel surfing and was amazed that people actually get into this show.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why were you amazed? At first I thought the show was stupid (just like you channel surfing) and I heard this big noice and thought, o man its jst a stupid Land of the Lost ripoff with big dinos everywhere. But it is much more complex than just a monster popping out. We don't know what it is, other than a "security system" for the Island. Some speculate that it is smart nano technolgy.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
I was amazed at how stupid that concept is... I expected more realism.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It is, you just have to know the history of it. I thouhgt the same way my man. Rent the first season, then judge, once I did I ended up watching the entire season in one day and became addicted!

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
It is, you just have to know the history of it. I thouhgt the same way my man. Rent the first season, then judge, once I did I ended up watching the entire season in one day and became addicted!

This is it's last season right?

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
nope, its 4 of 6. Got 2 more seasons! Unfortunatly they are only16 episodes each instead of 24.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Oh, so there is an end in sight then. Hmmm... that might make it a little more tolerable for me knowing that surely something will be answered and there is an end.

Also, it better have a damn good ending - I'm an ex-Soprano's fan and good endings were not David Chase' style, unfortunately. I need something with a decent ENDING!

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am a big fan of the show.

Ben, richard, and some of the others are time travelers. Thats why in the last episode ben ran into the cave and was back in the mainland he can't kill whitmore because on the island they are in 2004 in real life it is 2007 when ben met with whitmore it may have been 2006 and he can't kill whitmore cause he has lived to 2007. Thats why ben is never afraid he knows he will live until at least 2007 so he can do whatever the hell he wants,

The smoke monster is basicaly a way for time to correct itsself. So people die so that they don't change the out come of what may happen later in the future.

A friend sent me this, It is the best theory i've read so far:

Lost: A theory on time travel

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice theory! I was thinking the same thing, that Ben has control of the time paradox that Desmond does not have control of yet. Ben knows how to do it and Desmond is just begining to understand it. I think Desmond is going to play a KEY role in future episodes, as he may be able to go back to earlier times in the show and correct some of the unfortunate deaths. That may be what the producers meant when they said no one is truely dead on the island.

I also think Ben can't kill Whidmoore because they are both each others constant, or whidmoore is just Bens.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
never thought about the being each others constants. Did u read the link I posted it pretty much explains everything.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
nope not yet, at work do my iphone doesn't show the link. I will for sure when I get home though! So who do you think Jacob is? I bet you its Jacks dad or it is someone who was on the island in the begining andis stuck in ate pradox.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Interesting theory.. I'm a big fan of the show myself too. I was pretty surprised in the last episode when they finally showed that Ben controlled the smoke monster too. I didn't really get him going into the cave though... Good theory that says thats when he goes int the future and then comes back. I'd almost say that instead of going into the future though, he may go into the past to somehow stop the troops from coming to the island and then the smoke monster comes in to "correct" them being there. Other than that I think your theory is dead on. Makes sense. But they've been known to confuse us many times in the past.....

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes they have! Didn't know you were a fan, thats ausome! Hey can you fix the title so it says "~Let's Talk About LOST~"
forgot to put the word talk in there!

Side note, who do you think Jacob is?

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
It's really difficult to try and imagine this "smoke monster" without cracking up... I guess not being a fan has it's disadvantages to these type of conversations.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Smoke Monster is fricken cool, at first I thouhgt it was stupid, but it is cool. It rarely makes an appearance, but whenever it does its HUGE!

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I think AM needs a smoke monster!

Last edited:
TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH< ROFLMFAO!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA I would give you more reps if I could!

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Poor Easy. He gets picked on even when he's not involved with the thread to begin with :)

TSB4me

TSB4me

Awards
  • Established
I've enjoyed being able to download HD copies on Mininova and view it weeks before it screens over here in NZ.
Also I haven't missed an episode and even got my wife hooked on the program.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I haven't been able to come up with a good theory about Jacob yet. At least not one that hasn't already been debunked somehow on other forums. I agree, there's too many pages of complete nonsense on most Lost forums for me to really want to get involved in them. The previews for this week look great though... we'll see. I keep thinking some questions will get answered but instead, more questions get asked. I think somehow we'll have to find out sooner or later that the whole time shifting idea has something to do with how each of these people seemed to be tied in with each other somehow before they even got on the plane before it crashed to begin with. Maybe Ben is behind it...maybe it's something bigger. When the plane crashed over the island, Ben didn't seem terribly surprised and he already had the plans made of what needed to be done (sending out the guys to act like they were part of the crash, etc.). Pretty sure he knew it was going to crash. What may throw that off a little though, is that if he did indeed know who was going to be on the plane and when/where it was going to crash on the island, why wouldn't he have known that Jack was a surgeon that could operate on his spine? Juliet had to tell him that.

Thread title changed!

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think jacob and richard were the original time travelers then they recruited ben. Somewhere along the line jacob was killed and is now a "ghost" only certain people are able to see him.

I'd almost say that instead of going into the future though, he may go into the past to somehow stop the troops from coming to the island and then the smoke monster comes in to "correct" them being there. Other than that I think your theory is dead on. Makes sense. But they've been known to confuse us many times in the past.....
Never thought about that. That may makes sense also but either theory could work. I Definitely believe that the smoke monster is time correcting itself I don't think that ben has control over it though.

Last edited:
joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The fartherst they can go into the past is I believe is 1961 when the dharma initiative built the time machine. The farthest they can go into the future is 2007 when the "real time line is still happening". Thats why ben is never worried because he lived until 2007.

Basically the whole island was in a time loop stuck in 2004 thats why every 108 minutes someone had to set the time machine to bring them back 108 minutes. That way you could live forever on the island. Desmond messed up and didn't hit the button when the plane flew over then the plane crashed and they were now stuck in 2004.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The fartherst they can go into the past is I believe is 1961 when the dharma initiative built the time machine. The farthest they can go into the future is 2007 when the "real time line is still happening". Thats why ben is never worried because he lived until 2007.

Basically the whole island was in a time loop stuck in 2004 thats why every 108 minutes someone had to set the time machine to bring them back 108 minutes. That way you could live forever on the island. Desmond messed up and didn't hit the button when the plane flew over then the plane crashed and they were now stuck in 2004.
Man, I read that whole thing, and it makes alot of sense, some of not so much though. I never thought about them being stuck in a time loop, every 108 minutes, brilliant! That would explain alot. That definetly explained why that guy Richard didn't age from whedn Ben was a kid! I had been wondering that for a long time!

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I haven't been able to come up with a good theory about Jacob yet. At least not one that hasn't already been debunked somehow on other forums. I agree, there's too many pages of complete nonsense on most Lost forums for me to really want to get involved in them. The previews for this week look great though... we'll see. I keep thinking some questions will get answered but instead, more questions get asked. I think somehow we'll have to find out sooner or later that the whole time shifting idea has something to do with how each of these people seemed to be tied in with each other somehow before they even got on the plane before it crashed to begin with. Maybe Ben is behind it...maybe it's something bigger. When the plane crashed over the island, Ben didn't seem terribly surprised and he already had the plans made of what needed to be done (sending out the guys to act like they were part of the crash, etc.). Pretty sure he knew it was going to crash. What may throw that off a little though, is that if he did indeed know who was going to be on the plane and when/where it was going to crash on the island, why wouldn't he have known that Jack was a surgeon that could operate on his spine? Juliet had to tell him that.

Thread title changed!
Thanks for gettig the title fixed! I was always thinking the same thing too about the plane crashing because Ben caused it. He was to calm when he saw it breaking apart, and he alredy had a plan to go and infiltrate the survivors for info. It really seems like he knew it was going to happen and had the plan ready from the begining. But the whole thing about Jack being a surgeon and Ben not knowing that throws it off a bit, so I am still left confused!

I do get ticked sometimes that answers don't come as quick as I would like, but then agian I think to myself, "what makes this show great". The answer is that it makes you THINK, unlike most shows that tel you how you are supposed to respond and when to laugh, and what is going on. There is no mystery, and LOST adds new mysteries to think about every week to keep you on the edge of your seat thinking about what MAY have happened. I love that about the show, it would not be the same if they gave everything away every episode. My mom is one of those who hates the show now because of to many mysteries. Me and my dad however, love it even more!

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
That definetly explained why that guy Richard didn't age from whedn Ben was a kid! I had been wondering that for a long time!
But why would Ben get older and Richard stay the same age?

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
because Richard traveled back in time to recruit Ben, that's why he told him he couldn't come with him then, he said it wasn't time yet.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Ah, you're right... I'd forgotten about that. How does this all tie into why women can't give birth on the island without dying (and even deeper, how did Claire give birth without dying)? Is it because somehow time is standing still and new life cannot be created when the island is in some sort of state of flux?

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ben hasn't gotten older. I think richard had been using the time machine way before ben then he recruited ben

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
oopps anwsered to late. The women can't have babies because there wombs age.....there body is 26 but there womb is 70 or whatever they can go back but there womb is effected. I'm telling you read the link i posted it will answer alot of questions.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea the link helped alot. This next episode look really good, some are speculating that Jack is going to Die, but tht wouldn't make sense because he is one of the 6. Someone was talking about an alternate timeline. What looks cool is the helicopter pilot coming to rescue people and tell them to hide or "He" will kill you all. I wonder if it is Whidmoore actually on the Island now? I can't wait to see who Jacob is too, my bet is on Jacks Dad somehow, we will see. I bet they hold of on actually going to Jacobs cabin until the next episode, then they can preview that and have everybody amped up to find out next week!

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Cool I will check out that link later tonight... I've been wondering how Jacob would tie into the survivors of the crash too, it seems like somehow they all tie together somehow...but we havent found out how he ties in yet. Jack can't die I don't think, but I do think that the medications he was taking last week were the start of him taking pain killers again...not the antibiotics that he said they were. He gets hooked and its the beginning of the end.. flash forward to the future where he's wasted on meds and alcohol all day.

I'm trying to remember, but doesnt Jack make some reference to the doctor in the hospital going and checking to see how much his dad has had to drink when they flash forward? Another question I didn't know the answer to...if Jack went to Sydney to get his father's body, and in the future he is alive... did the island bring him back to life like it cured so many of the other people's problems (Locke can walk, etc.)?

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cool I will check out that link later tonight... I've been wondering how Jacob would tie into the survivors of the crash too, it seems like somehow they all tie together somehow...but we havent found out how he ties in yet. Jack can't die I don't think, but I do think that the medications he was taking last week were the start of him taking pain killers again...not the antibiotics that he said they were. He gets hooked and its the beginning of the end.. flash forward to the future where he's wasted on meds and alcohol all day.
I'm trying to remember, but doesnt Jack make some reference to the doctor in the hospital going and checking to see how much his dad has had to drink when they flash forward? Another question I didn't know the answer to...if Jack went to Sydney to get his father's body, and in the future he is alive... did the island bring him back to life like it cured so many of the other people's problems (Locke can walk, etc.)?
Bingo! That is why he is all messed up in the future. Andyes, he did say go check on my Dad to see how much he has had to drink. I think that the Island possibly brought him back to life, OR he was never dead in the first place, but close to it, enough to where they had thought he was dead. The reason I say this is because remember the episode wih the spiders, where they were paralyzed and though dead for a day or 2, and were buried alive?? Well, that episode had special meaning Lindolf and Cuse said, and the concept would be re-introduced at a later time in the next few seasons. I think Jacks dad was bit by the spiders, and this is how they account fr the body missing from the Coffin. His Dad has a big role in this show, just watch!

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Alright Myth, so I started watching it again this afternoon (on season 1, episode 3 currently) and while I'm not fully "into it" yet, I do manage to pay 100% attention to every scene involving Evangeline Lily. I forgot how hot she is :D

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
O yea, she is WAY HOT, I would not mind being "LOST" with her on a island, o man, a man can dream though huh!

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
O yea, she is WAY HOT, I would not mind being "LOST" with her on a island, o man, a man can dream though huh!
Seriously, who would want to be rescued when you're trapped on an island with this chick!?!?!?

Even if she hated your guts, wheres she gonna go? It's an island!!

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey I found a flaw in the theory of time travel that guy posted in his blog. He said that they are all stuck in 1996, before they had their injuries (Locke, Rose), but I was thinking, back in the first season Locke and Boone went looking for that plane they found. Before they found it Locke lost his ability to walk again, and was left crippled on the ground while Boone went to the plane. This is what ended up killing Boone. So if that theory is to hold up, he needs to explain how Locke all of the sudden lost his ability to walk all the sudden.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
once the islnad time catches up to the rel world time locke won't be able to walk again something will happen that will paralize him. The thing with boone may have been a fluke he may have just lost movement in his legs for a short period of time

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Myth... I'm starting to get that annoyed/intrigued/frustrated feeling again!!! Does anything in season 1 get answered!?!?!?

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Some things have been answered (this season has answered a few things from way back) but at the same time it's also created a whole slew of new questions.

The whole time trap thing....I'd assume this is why Kate still got arrested when she made it back to the mainland. Jack may have testified that she saved many people on the island and is a hero, etc. but once you're off the island is it a "everything must return to the way it should have been before the island" thing? That would explain why Jin is apparently a vigilante working for Ben and everyone else thinks he's dead - and why Jack is back to alcohol and pain killers - and why Hurley is a lunatic running from police - etc, etc etc. Even though they all learned a lot on the island and grew as people, once off they're doomed no matter what to go back to the way things should have been...

Next issue - you guys have said that Ben knows he'll live until 2007. I'm guessing everyone thinks that Ben is the one in the coffin that only Jack went to go see? I'm sure someone has figured that one out by now, but I haven't been anywhere else to read about it so the answer to that one still escapes me.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been wondering the same thing. The coffin was smaller, so Ben could be the one in there since he is a shorter guy, however, I think it may be someone else. Maybe it was even Walt, because he has something to do with this whole mystery that has yet to been shown.

Btw, when did it show Jin working for Ben as a vigilante? I thought it was a flashback for Jin and a flash foward Sun. I never saw Jin and Ben together in that episode.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I have been wondering the same thing. The coffin was smaller, so Ben could be the one in there since he is a shorter guy, however, I think it may be someone else. Maybe it was even Walt, because he has something to do with this whole mystery that has yet to been shown.
The only reason I thought it may be Ben is because everyone else was so against going to see whoever it was, except Jack for some reason. Since Jack is the one who currently MOST dislikes Ben, I thought it would be very Lost-esque if somehow Jack becomes the only one who ends up liking him after all. Who knows .. far fetched I know, but look what show we're talking about here...

Btw, when did it show Jin working for Ben as a vigilante? I thought it was a flashback for Jin and a flash foward Sun. I never saw Jin and Ben together in that episode.
You're right, it didn't show that. I'd only assumed it was a flash forward, but now that I think about it... he wasn't one of the Oceanic 6, so that must have been a flashback. Although I still think that there are more than 6 of them that are still alive and on the island. I can't imagine them killing off everyone except these 6. Some of them yes, others, I just can't see it...