Chemical Wizardry: My review

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
READ DISCLAIMER BEFORE PROCEEDING: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/general-chat/92401-nw-s-book.html#post1321252

If my review was helpful to you, or considered a good contribution to our community, please rep me. :)

Chemical Wizardry: An Ebook Review by NightWanderer

As soon as I received my copy, I eagerly started reading in the hopes of finding detailed information, answers to perplexing questions, and of course, that 'insider information'
that newcomers to the steroid scene hope to come across every time they read something written by a supposed authority on the subject. What I found was a mass of information
pertaining to novices and veterans alike, put together seemingly in haste, with no clear focus and bad format that degrades from poor organization to flat out nonexistence in relatively short order.
That said, please excuse this review if it too seems a bit messy or to jump back and forth between different sets of information, it's because of the books shortcomings in this area.

The book starts off with a very brief, non specific, simply phrased history of anabolic steroids that is done in one very long paragraph.
an alphabetically organized vocabulary section follows afterwards. There are some important terms covered here that may be unknown to those casually curious about bodybuilding, dieting, or steroids,
but the vast majority of terms are so simple and elementary that they were obviously thrown in as filler to make the section seem more comprehensive than it is.
For example, explanation of the term 'Nitrogen Balance' and the descriptive definition of 'NORTESTOSTERONE 19' are immediately followed by the definition for 'orals' and 'over the counter'.

The next section is dedicated to common mistakes made by steroid users. Good points are made here on
how high doses may just convert to estrogen or cause side effects rather than gain more, and how too low of a dose or short of a cycle length may be more trouble than it's
worth. The author suggests a 'diamond' cycle which involves tapering down your dosages towards the end of the cycle in a way that may lead beginners into thinking it's the only proper way to cycle.Having yet to go on my first non-OTC cycle, I will refrain from speaking on any judgments I made here. All I can fairly say is never treat a single teacher as the source of all wisdom (spiritual choices aside of course) Also covered here is the importance of not overlooking your diet. Here is where I had a bit of an issue, because of the following quotes:
An optimum diet when on steroids involves consuming 6,000 to 9,000 calories per day... Of those calories, 60% should be complex carbs, 20% complete protein, and 20 % fat...
This doesn't take into consideration the person's age, height, weight, training, or anything, and is spoken as if set in stone.
The importance of bloodwork is stressed in this section as well, which any responsible reader would say is essential in any steroid related book.

A legal section comes up next, it's basically just quotes from The Anabolic Steroids Control Act of 1990, supplemented with reference cases,
and the titles of relevant law journal articles. There's nothing immediately useful to anyone who isn't a paralegal or schooled in the practice of
law, or legal research. In other words, if you're looking for advice in case you ever get busted, or what preventative measures you can take to avoid trouble,
you won't find help here.

Injection protocols make up the next portion of the book. Finally here is some practical material people can actually put to use! Tips on
needle length, gauge, and sanitation protocol can be found here, as well as areas of the body to avoid, etc etc. This is one area of the book that
first timers don't want to skim through, and would do well to go over a few times to memorize some essential do's and don't's. There's good info here.

Here's where the format really starts to go to hell, and rather quickly. The author summarizes the anabolic diet, and then goes into great detail
about it, even though he already started a diet section that was rather lacking in info previously in the book. You can tell by the author's tone that he's trying hard to sell the diet as the only way to go if you want to make gains on steroids, as if he may have something personal to gain. He goes on to say, after recommending a stack of caffeine, aspirin, and ephedrine that
I have used it quite extensively and know for an absolute fact that the "stack" works far better on the anabolic diet than on a regular carb-based diet.
He knows it as a fact people, a fact; no matter what your stats or personal nutritional needs are....right. This is followed by a guide for High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), which the author must beleive is the only valid training there is.As you can see, he leaves the reader very wary of an authoritarian
writing style that leaves me feeling very skeptic. Again with the format, this portion of the book would have seemed much more appropriate after the section warning against inconsistent training in the 'errors' part of the book.

Immediately following the HIIT section without any chapter ending, separation, sub heading or concluding statement are tips on how to succeed in
obtaining your gear through mail. I have to remind my readers at this point that I am not yet experienced in such things. That said, either this book is very dated,
or the author wasn't very savvy to online purchasing. He recommends only ordering by mail, no email, and NEVER using a wire transfer service, but I haven't found a seemingly legit site yet in all my weeks of searching or suppliers recommended to me in private that don't prefer or outright require western union or MoneyGram.
There's a useful section on avoiding counterfeit gear too, but it's not at this point in the book, even though it should be. Instead, there's a very, very lengthy section
by someone called 'Animal' on technicalities for using homemade filters, cleaning and maintaining used filters, and compiling sterile kits for home chemistry projects. Syringes and sterile kits are both cheap,easily obtainable, and completely legal. Either you're seriously into the technical aspects of the equipment, or a suprisingly smart heroine junkie with only one 'rig' to use repeatedly...Oh wait, neither you say? Well, then, this info is completely useless! Other things here include a completely random Q&A section with topics ranging from: The smearing of an internet business site, listings of companies who manufacture IGF-1, how to make homemade GHB, several testimonials from friends regarding the use of certain research chemicals that would be considered obscure to your average 'bro', etc, etc. The book has lost any sense of direction at this point.

Finally things seem to come back together to a degree. Sample cycles are listed, as well as profiles for steroids and ancillaries. I have to say, this part of the book was very weak. The sample cycles were simply kitchen sink stacks with no timing details and exotic names, like 'the Iron Brotherhood stack'. Description: 'For mass and strength'. Profiles lacked overall detail and many were repeated a few times, the book wasn't proofread well. The whole section could have been simply removed, since steroid profiles can be easily found online, and in great detail, complete with common manufacturer names and pictures. More effort was needed here if they were going to bother at all to say the least.

And lastly, any coherency is finally just thrown out the window altogether. The second half of the book is randomly thrown together things like:
A jay cutler interview, followed by more repeats of the same weakly attempted steroid profiling, another dieting section, etc etc.
My summary is this: About 1/8th of this book is practical, useful, or containing sound information and advice that the average 'bro' can put to use. If you're a garage chemist, there is some possibly useful info for you here, but it's so hard to extract from the sloppy writing structure and irrelevant subject matter that I wish you good fortune in finding it. My advice? This book is worth skimming through, but not reading word for word. If you're a noob and you read this book, please don't take the author's
advice as good advice without asking around on your favorite message boards. I rate this book two stars, because it was a chore to read in exchange for minimal knowledge gains, and having to read it a second time while writing the review made me appreciate it even less. Think twice before paying for this.

Wishing you success and learning,
NightWanderer