1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.8%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Hey all you Nalgene bottle users

I just saw this and I know a lot of people use these things. You may wanna give this a read if you own a Nalgene!

Nalgene to phase out hard-plastic bottles

Containers made with bisphenol A chemical linked to health risks

ROCHESTER, N.Y. - Hard-plastic Nalgene water bottles made with bisphenol A will be pulled from stores over the next few months because of growing consumer concern over whether the chemical poses a health risk.

Nalge Nunc International, a division of Waltham, Mass.-based Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., said Friday it will substitute its Nalgene Outdoor line of polycarbonate plastic containers with BPA-free alternatives.

“By eliminating containers containing BPA from our consumer product mix, our customers can have confidence that their needs are being met,” Steven Silverman, general manager of the Nalgene business, said in a statement.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement

With more than 6 million pounds produced in the United States each year, bisphenol A is found in dental sealants, baby bottles, the liners of food cans, CDs and DVDs, eyeglasses and hundreds of household goods. The chemical has been linked to neurological and behavioral problems in infants and babies, along with certain cancers, diabetes and obesity.

The reusable, transparent sports accessory is made at a factory in suburban Rochester that employs about 900 people.

Nalge Nunc was founded in 1949 by Rochester chemist Emanuel Goldberg. The lab-equipment supplier’s product evolved in the 1970s after rumors spread about its scientists taking hardy lab vessels on weekend outings. That led the company to form a water-bottle consumer unit targeting Boy Scouts, hikers and campers.

In 2000, a new sports line of Nalgene-brand bottles offered in red, blue and yellow hues quickly became the rage in high schools and on college campuses.

Highly durable and lightweight, resistant to stains and odors, and able to withstand extremes of hot and cold, screw-cap Nalgene bottles are marketed as an environmentally responsible substitute for disposable water bottles.

Citing multiple studies in the United States, Europe and Japan, the chemicals industry maintains that polycarbonate bottles contain little BPA and leach traces considered too low to harm humans.

But critics point to an influx of animal studies linking low doses to a wide variety of ailments — from breast and prostate cancer, obesity and hyperactivity, to miscarriages and other reproductive failures.

An expert panel of 38 academic and government researchers who attended a National Institutes of Health-sponsored conference said in a study in August that “the potential for BPA to impact human health is a concern, and more research is clearly needed.”

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.66%

Quote Originally Posted by Hurleyboy05 View Post
    bisphenol A

I read this, pitched out my nalgene bottle right away, that f#cker was expensive too.

I believe its also designated by a 7 on the bottom of other plastics? Not sure, i was reading another article about how alot of plastics are bad, especially when you add hot water it releases the toxins.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.52%

Yeah, I had to toss a bunch of bottles... they were all the clear type because at one time they were said to be the safest. I guess the ones that smell like plastic are actually safer, go figure. Anyway if I am going to ingest synthetic estrogen, its going to be in the form of clomid
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.07%

They had better fix the soft ones because they make the water undrinkable. I emailed them to complain about the taste from the soft plastic and they sent me a free hard plastic. woot.
  5. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

From what I have read in the past, it seemed inconclusive as to whether BPA did in fact leach from Nalgene's Lexan bottles. Still, it is better to be safe than sorry. Endocrine disruptors are nasty stuff.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 06:13 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 08:47 PM
  3. Diesel Test Hardcore: White bottle vs. Red bottle
    By ReaperX in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 03:26 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 11:01 PM
  5. Replies: 2