Trying to make a comeback... Again.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Well... I don't know where to start...

For those that know me, I'm back (I think).
For those that don't, be patient.

It has been a rough 2.5 years for me. Moving halfway across the country to a place with little to no good job market (my degree is keeping me from most jobs available here). Along with some very personal issues have made life hard. I'm not as bad as I was at my worst, but I feel atrophied and wasted away. I also feel like I'm getting old and frail. I can't stand this feeling anymore.

I currently do cardio 3-5 times a week for 30-45 minutes, but I need to add the weights back in. It just seems that every time I do, even if I don't push myself too hard, I end up hurting something just enough to keep me from doing weights. Should I avoid them and focus on the machines for a while? This needs to stop. Lifting was and is such an important thing to me, I can't stand to give it up any longer.

Should I do a circuit-style training, or make various days? I still only have access to a "fitness center" style gym without too much serious equipment.

I'd like to say it feels good to be back, but to be honest, I'm ashamed of myself.

MB

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Welcome back bro! :)

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for making a tired soul feel at home :)

To clarify my first post:
I feel as though I've managed to maintain (how I don't know) a decent amount of lean mass (while gaining blubber :( ) and a decent amount of strength in my muscles, but my joints, tendons, ligaments etc. are incredibly "atrophied."

With that in mind, I think a "resistance" training routine focusing on a lot of gradual stretching as well as low weight/high rep training would be the best way to go combined with HIIT style cardio for fatloss. Honestly, at this point, I don't mind loosing some muscle... I'm just done being fat... chunky, whatever you want to call it.

I've got my diet in check, eating clean and healthy, just need to increase the amount of meals from 2-3 to something more like 4-5 while maintaining similar calories.

See... just being back here has got me thinking "right" again... it has been far too long.

MB

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Man you sound like your being way to hard on yourself. Your thinking right, determined, and have the basics down. Your already over the initial hurdles that derail so many from success.

Just start of slow and let your joins and ligaments get back into form. Muscle memory is an amazing thing and as long as you take the time to get back in the game you will be back in no time. Light free weights or machines would be a perfect place to start.

Best of luck to you man, and glad you've come back to AM.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Hey man.. welcome back

i was out for a few months after an elbow injury.. the best thing that i find for me was to start with machines...
this built up my strength while keeping my movements controlled. once i had established some degree of strength back,.. i split that between dumbells and machines...then finally transitioned back to doing the main exercises with bars and real weight.
i usually did some cardio through the week as well.

everything will hurt all over again...just like the first time you worked out... get used to it

I dont schedule my workouts... it only stresses me out when im exhausted and miss one... i set my goals for the week and do my best to achieve them. you sound like you need to take it easy

whats your degree in?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
business/econ with an emphasis in accounting and management. Thanks for the kind words :)

I'm sure the situation will be better when I head back to socal :)

MB

mindgrappler

mindgrappler

Awards
I have no idea who the hell you are...But welcome back and keep up the fight and always remember things could always be alot worse.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I was away from weight training for nearly a decade, before starting again nearly 3 months ago. Part of the reason I stayed away is because of some spine injuries I sustained several years ago.

When I decided to start training again I did my first set of dumbell bench with 20 lbs, and it was heavy. A week later when I did my first set of flat bench I worked with 95 lbs up to 135 (which I managed to rep a measly 5 times). This was a big change for a guy who at one time was able to incline bench 380 for reps.

Well this last Monday I worked chest starting with incline for 5 sets, then decline for 5 sets, and I finished with 5 sets of flat bench. On my last set I repped 215 3 times. Granted this isn't much weight, but it says something for muscle memory to go from barely getting 135 for a few reps to getting 215 for 3. I am not breaking any personal best, or any records here, but these aren't bad results for 10 weeks of natural training.

I have gained 10 lbs, gained over an inch on my arms, and nearly an inch on my chest , over an inch on my legs, and lost 1/4 of an inch on my waist.

I was shocked at how fast my body responded to training again, and I have no reason to believe that yours would do any differently. In fact you would probably do much better than I, because you haven't been away from training as long.

Just start slow and ease your body back into training, and before you know it you will start feeling like your old self again.

Good luck to you.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone for the support. It really does feel good to be back "home" as it were.

MB

xmeroxmerox

xmeroxmerox

Bye
Awards
Do not use machines. Stick to free weights and cables.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
holy ****, talk about a blast from the past! Welcome back man and i hope you're able to keep focused and injury free.