BB book reviews?

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I have some books on bodybuilding from work, and wonder if anyone would be interisted in book reviews/cliffs notes on them. If the interist is high enough, I will put in the work. If not...well...read the book yourself :)

JDF

Awards
  • Established
Im interested to hear what books you have read through

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
ok, only 4 guys want to see this?
You guys know I love ya and all, but for the time and work, I'd say at least 10 people have to want it.

sf9ersfan8

sf9ersfan8

Awards
at least give us a an idea what you have read and a quick opinion, please.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Im highly interested, just be sure you list the books first...

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
the first would be Extreme Muscle Enhancement by Carlon Colker.
Really good book. I picked up quite a bit from it.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Colker's book is good overall. I still don't like how he demonizes steroids and is so opposed to them.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
what all does it cover?
Colker's book covers basic and some advanced training protocols. He covers nutrition and supplements. It's definitely better then Body For Life or other popular "fitness" books. he even covers pre-contest dieting. It's an interesting book and worth reading IMO.

BTW, nice to see another 49ers fan on AM :)

sf9ersfan8

sf9ersfan8

Awards
+++BTW, nice to see another 49ers fan on AM +++(dont know how to quote)
ditto, RIP bill walsh, go shaun hill, and pat willis is a bad man, hope we get an awesome wide out in the draft.

does colker have a supplement line he pushes in his book? you read anything else worth while warrior?

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
ditto, RIP bill walsh, go shaun hill, and pat willis is a bad man, hope we get an awesome wide out in the draft.

does colker have a supplement line he pushes in his book? you read anything else worth while warrior?
simply click quote under whatever line it is you wish to quote from!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established

Colker has good information on training. The supplement knowledge/science is better on this board than what Colker has to offer. He doesn't cover as many cutting edge supplements IMO.

IIRC, Colker still writes for Muscular Development. MD is owned by Steve Blechman either owns or is affiliated with Twinlab. He doesn't push particular supplement companies for the most part.

Off Topic: We desperately need a receiver with speed and the balls to go over the middle. If we can't get that then we must get a defensive end who gives QB's nightmares. I'd also like to see a QB and more depth at d-line and o-line. Too bad the Patriots have our pick this year :smite:

sf9ersfan8

sf9ersfan8

Awards
Colker has good information on training. The supplement knowledge/science is better on this board than what Colker has to offer. He doesn't cover as many cutting edge supplements IMO.

IIRC, Colker still writes for Muscular Development. MD is owned by Steve Blechman either owns or is affiliated with Twinlab. He doesn't push particular supplement companies for the most part.

Off Topic: We desperately need a receiver with speed and the balls to go over the middle. If we can't get that then we must get a defensive end who gives QB's nightmares. I'd also like to see a QB and more depth at d-line and o-line. Too bad the Patriots have our pick this year :smite:
ive probably read some of his articles, i read MD pretty religiously over the last 6-12 months. does his book goe over different types of diets and training protocols or does hekinda have a favorite the book sticks with?what else have you read? i hope we can get some more people in here with good book reviews.

off topic:i couldnt agree more about a reciever. i think if nothing else mike martz is going to do a good job with the offense, he was a good head coach, but his forte is his offensive game.i think our D is pretty good, but when they spend 3 out of every 4 quarters on the field their bound to get worn down. bummer about the pats having our pick too.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
His book is fairly comprehensive. Training plans, food advice, how to diet and prepare for a contest, are some of the things included. I learned a lot from it.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
I am in the process of reading 'Nutrient Timing' by John Ivy

I'll post my thoughts when Im done reading it.

sf9ersfan8

sf9ersfan8

Awards
how old is colkers book? is his book "up to date" with all the science we have today? what other books have you read gtarzan.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
my favorite all time and first book I read was the Arnold Bodybuilding Encyclopedia. Have both additions

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Mark Rippetoe has some excellent books

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
His book is fairly comprehensive. Training plans, food advice, how to diet and prepare for a contest, are some of the things included. I learned a lot from it.
gimme your notes:smite:

JDF

Awards
  • Established
Just got done reading 'Nutrient Timing' by Dr. John Ivey

-Seemed to be a very simple book aimed at more of the novice ( Im not very advanced myself but further along than this )

-Dr. Ivey seemed to bash Ketogenic diets and spent very little time discussing the proper way/timing to introduce nutrients on this type of diet

-Seemed to be very redundent and repeated the same information throughout the book, he just did not seem to move to anything more advanced as the book progressed

-I cant remember off hand exactly which supplements I disagreed about that he discussed but he basically says that all supplements are junk but a multi, fish oil, protein, and creatine.

-I thought he could have talked a little bit about anabolic steriods and how the need for nutrients will change according to that

-He did show some charts on what vitamins/minerals you should look for/need in a multi, I thought this was informative

-He had a BMR calculator in his book that seemed to take into account multiple aspects of ones day but this was nothing that couldnt be found on AM.com/the web

Overall reaction to the book is that I would read it to refresh my knowledge on the subject but I think that lacked some information that would go along with current thoughts/diets/workout regiments.

Im reading Muscle Revolution by Chad Waterbury right now, I'll give my reaction once I am done with this book.

Anyone else have any books they want to breifly highlight, recommend, or not recommend?

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Steroid Nation By Shaun Assael is def one of the most interesting books you can read at the moment!!!