Another "save the planet" scheme fails

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yet our government, in their infinite wisdom, has given farmers ENORMOUS subsidies to help ethanol production (Dems tried to actually pass this INSIDE the war funding bill at one point). The result? They plant more corn so wheat and soy prices go sky high (making food prices increase). The corn they produce gets utilized for fuel instead of food so in essence all food commodity prices are going up because they can get more money planting a fuel source (that isn't really being utilized anyway) than food.

I don't blame them either but this is nice example of the government interfering with the free market and it will end up biting you in the ass...it already has with food prices and wheat, corn and soy, hitting record highs in the last 6 months.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Jerry,
I’ve pretty much stopped taking seriously much of what the environmentalists have to say. The last time was the “No Nukes” movement. I should have known better since Hanoi Jane was involved. As it turned out the solution, coal, is much more polluting than anything nuclear. In fact, coal releases more radiation into the atmosphere than uranium, plus a whole bunch of stuff. It’s not that I don’t care; it’s just that the movement hasn’t got a clue.

Here’s a better solution:
Four Ways to Solve the Energy Crisis
http://men.msn.com/greenarticlees.aspx?cp-documentid=5981518&GT1=10931

DB

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Most "environmentalists" I know think ethanol is a disaster so I wouldn't go shouldering the burden to them exclusively. The whole thing is simply the biggest govt handout ever with GM, and the bigger farm corps lining up to get their federal money. As Jerry pointed out, if you're not in those groups then you're being screwed with higher taxes, more expensive gas, food and consumer products.

Sad thing is, both sides of Congress are ga ga over it and it appears it is in no danger of going away.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Ah nice read, who saw that failure coming?..

the best way for us to save the planet is to strengthen the space programs and find a backup planet to move to after we inevitably destroy/kill/overheat/freeze/exhaust/nuke/explode/fvck this one up :D

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Most "environmentalists" I know think ethanol is a disaster so I wouldn't go shouldering the burden to them exclusively. The whole thing is simply the biggest govt handout ever with GM, and the bigger farm corps lining up to get their federal money. As Jerry pointed out, if you're not in those groups then you're being screwed with higher taxes, more expensive gas, food and consumer products.
Sad thing is, both sides of Congress are ga ga over it and it appears it is in no danger of going away.
Maybe the "environmentalists" you know now think so, but who got that ball rolling? And why don’t I hear/read about them? I agree, there’s a shortening gap between the stupid party and the evil party.

Ah nice read, who saw that failure coming?..the best way for us to save the planet is to strengthen the space programs and find a backup planet to move to after we inevitably destroy/kill/overheat/freeze/exhaust/nuke/explode/fvck this one up :D
If I could see it coming, I suspect a lot did, and said nothing either because fear of being called anti-something or thought maybe there was something they didn’t understand.
I really like this planet. It’s pretty, not too hot, not too cold (most of the time). Besides, finding another planet would take another government program. Let’s see, I can either choose the one God picked out, or I can choose one picked by either the stupid party or the evil one.

DB

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Funny I wa actually going to post something on the cost of Whey Protein. I had a discusion the other day about this with a friend who owns a supp. store. Whey protein has gone up in the last year and he couldnt figure out why. Told him it was due to the corn and ethanol market. So there for the cost of everything else went up including whey.

Have not really researched my theory but imagine I am pretty close

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I think it's pretty clear the agricultural interests within the govt got the ball rolling on ethanol as a replacement fuel. Every single academic and non-profit org analysis I have read about ethanol from corn says it's a bad idea and that you'll spend more for it than if you used something like algae or even switchgrass.

Just look to where the money flows(Monsanto, GM, ADM)...it ain't flowing in my direction.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
This whole corn ethanol thing was never about the environment and all about politics (much like everything else in our government). To make a gallon of ethanol from corn you actually have to use 1.2 gallons of fossil fuel. Any idiot can see that this is counterproductive.

I am all about being a good steward and taking care of the planet, but this environmentalism movement is really all about creating more government control. These jerkoffs don't care about the planet, they care about power.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just look to where the money flows(Monsanto, GM, ADM)...it ain't flowing in my direction.
Its actually farmers making a killing. They hedge their profits with futures contracts.

Many of the companies value go up but profits remain the same because prices for land, fertilizer, etc....go up across the board.