ipod video

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone else have an ipod video ?

I have an 80G ipod video, however when I plug it in itunes displays '76.7 G', for available storage.

So either the capacity that is being advertised is wrong (80 G) or there is some filler programs in there taking up the space ?

Anyone ?

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
4gig is indeed a lot but it is probably the software that's on their as someone noted above. Sad to say but thats how it is with all Ipods.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I see people workout with their ipod videos and I cringe.

Not only are the ipod videos expensive, but they are essentially a hard drive that is being jarred around like that on ppls arms/waist.

I have a shuffle I use for working out, so I don't have to use the video.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
As with any HDD, formatting takes up space. This is on top of the OS that would be included on your ipod. You will never have the advertised memory available on a fresh HDD.

Jet

Awards
  • Established
If you take off all of the preloaded games you can get some of your space back, but besides that, it's the OS.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Does anyone else have an ipod video ?

I have an 80G ipod video, however when I plug it in itunes displays '76.7 G', for available storage.

So either the capacity that is being advertised is wrong (80 G) or there is some filler programs in there taking up the space ?

Anyone ?
You are complaining about losing about 4% after formatting? Thats better than most drives.

Its not the OS that takes up the space, its drive formatting.
In hard drive terms 1000 bytes = 1 kilobyte. In computer terms 1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte. 1024 kilobytes because formatting the drive for use by PC's requires this. This is about 2% loss. As the drive gets bigger, more information is needed for formatting so the bigger the drive the more you will lose. A gigabyte = 1 trillion bytes to a drive manufacturer but 1,073,741,824 bytes to the PC. This is about 7% loss.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
You are complaining about losing about 4% after formatting? Thats better than most drives.

Its not the OS that takes up the space, its drive formatting.
In hard drive terms 1000 bytes = 1 kilobyte. In computer terms 1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte. 1024 kilobytes because formatting the drive for use by PC's requires this. This is about 2% loss. As the drive gets bigger, more information is needed for formatting so the bigger the drive the more you will lose. A gigabyte = 1 trillion bytes to a drive manufacturer but 1,073,741,824 bytes to the PC. This is about 7% loss.
What if Apple just made the ipods factory 84.6G that way after formatting I can have 80G ?

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What if Apple just made the ipods factory 84.6G that way after formatting I can have 80G ?
Then they would be cool. Too bad no one is going to do that until a class action suit is won by customers.

I just got a 750 GB hard drive and after formatting it was 700. :blink:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Then they would be cool. Too bad no one is going to do that until a class action suit is won by customers.

I just got a 750 GB hard drive and after formatting it was 700. :blink:
Can you explain how formatting takes up so much room again ? The conversion is different between what we understand and what the computer 'actually uses' ?