Why GNC Sucks!

ChaseRoy

Awards
I am an employee with GNC and I just wanted to let you all know how much they suck.  A few days ago they decided to drop their buy one get one half price deal (BOGO) and thus drop the prices on their single items. 

I was reading in the manual as to why they did this.  Here is what it basically said:

WE want our customers to FEEL they are getting the lowest price.  We recognize that we are thought of as over priced and would like to bring in more business....the manual goes on to tell us that we should tell them they are really getting a better savings now.  This is simply untrue!  They are actually making more money now.  Even though they droped the prices, they are actually making more because the BOGO is non-existant. 

I just wanted to let you all know, while I may be employed by GNC, I do believe they are a horrible company...but hey, I need a job. 

Don't be dooped by GNC's marketing, you can always find it cheaper somewhere else!

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Got to make a living somehow bro, We aint mad at 'cha. That place is a shithole, if its not highly overpriced, the people they employ (well around here) are dumber than hell. Thanks for th einfo. though, i didnt know they were doing away with the BOGO though, that sucks.

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by ChaseRoy
I am an employee with GNC and I just wanted to let you all know how much they suck.  A few days ago they decided to drop their buy one get one half price deal (BOGO) and thus drop the prices on their single items. 

I was reading in the manual as to why they did this.  Here is what it basically said:

WE want our customers to FEEL they are getting the lowest price.  We recognize that we are thought of as over priced and would like to bring in more business....the manual goes on to tell us that we should tell them they are really getting a better savings now.  This is simply untrue!  They are actually making more money now.  Even though they droped the prices, they are actually making more because the BOGO is non-existant. 

I just wanted to let you all know, while I may be employed by GNC, I do believe they are a horrible company...but hey, I need a job. 

Don't be dooped by GNC's marketing, you can always find it cheaper somewhere else!

Hey bro you got to do, what ever it take to make a living, just be honest to the customers, of course without braking any rules from GNC.  I think GNC is for people that does not have any clue about Supplements and  don't have time(Dont want do the homework) to look an learn about it.  Once I went to GNC and some employees does not have a clue of supplements, not flame, because knowledge is expensive and if you hire someone with broad knowledge will not be able to pay minimun wage.  Hey we have to start somewhere.  You will be all right.

txwakeskater

Awards
GNC does suck, there overpriced and dumbasses. Now the only positive i see coming outa them is that it seems that they support the sport.

Kay

Awards
hah... the only thing i like about GNC is their refund policy!

I usually hate chocolate flavor, but i bought a 5 lb can to make protein squares, made about 10 batches, and returned the rest of the container.
"oh, this causes me gas and stomach indigestion"

:D:D

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
guarenteed everyone at one point thought GNC was the place to go for supps....guarenteed. (or atleast i like to think so cuz back in HS, thats the only place i shopped) Only time i didnt get shitted on by their prices was when i had a friend working there...and uknow, had to go scandelous on them. (good times....) ha..sweet 80% off man.

Kay

Awards
actually.. i still shop at GNC from time to time...
up here in canada, one of their 5lb containers is appx 65 bucks.
so in the states it is usually 25 - 30 USD..... but on top of that i have to pay shipping... so it comes out to about 35 bucks.. which is about 58 dollars CDN.
So it evens out.
So i dont mind shopping GNC, because I have to pay shipping.
I have just found out some good sites for canadians.... shipping is 5.95 CDN flat here. try it out!
http://www.sndcanada.com/

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
but on top of that i have to pay shipping... http://www.sndcanada.com/
aint that a bitch. depending on where you shop, and what you get from the site....shipping can cost close to the amount of what you are ordering. thats why i stick to 3 sites for my supp purchases....either they have free shipping over $20 (which is nothing), or a low flat rate of around 5 bucks. and again about GNC, if you getting their pro performance brand, and dont mind the taste and quality (not sure how good they are), the prices on them are pretty decent. (when purchased with goldcard)

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by sage
guarenteed everyone at one point thought GNC was the place to go for supps....guarenteed. (or atleast i like to think so cuz back in HS, thats the only place i shopped) Only time i didnt get shitted on by their prices was when i had a friend working there...and uknow, had to go scandelous on them. (good times....) ha..sweet 80% off man.

I go from time to time myself, and is becasue I can get a sweet discount most time about 40 percent.  :D

Kay

Awards

aint that a bitch. depending on where you shop, and what you get from the site....shipping can cost close to the amount of what you are ordering. thats why i stick to 3 sites for my supp purchases....either they have free shipping over $20 (which is nothing), or a low flat rate of around 5 bucks. and again about GNC, if you getting their pro performance brand, and dont mind the taste and quality (not sure how good they are), the prices on them are pretty decent. (when purchased with goldcard)
yeah, i don't know why a lot of people complain about GNC so much, i don't really ming their elite series lines. Tastes awesome too and has unreal combinations of stuff in it.
But this is from a canadian perspective, coz supplements here (even protein powders) are fairly expensive, so you have to buy bulk, and with buy 1 and get 1 at 50%, plus gold card, it is a pretty good price.

Also, i think in the states, the GOld card is only valid on certain days, here its valid every day of the month.

Kay

Awards
sorry i forgot, i agree with one thing, "most" of their staff is dumber than dogshit, one day guy tried to sell me some cell tech and cutting gel, and thats over 300 dollars here combined. I was laughing so hard.

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by Kay
sorry i forgot, i agree with one thing, "most" of their staff is dumber than dogshit, one day guy tried to sell me some cell tech and cutting gel, and thats over 300 dollars here combined. I was laughing so hard.

Same here with the test gel, HAHAHAHAHAHAH!~

ChaseRoy

Awards
yes, most of the employees are dumber then rocks!  That's why I make a killing there!!! haha.  no, i am honest with everyone and usually tell them they can get stuff cheaper on line.  I think it is just plain irresponisible when people have no knowledge of what they are selling.  I walked into a GNC once and watched this guy try to sell stacker 2 to a man that was proabablly 300lbs over weight.  He told them there was no danger at all!!!!  Are you kidding?  A guy like that has his heart racing when he walks up a flight of stairs...let alone on stacker 2.  I would not be surprised if GNC employees are responsible for a number of deaths.  Also...a little first hand knowledge for ya all...there is only commission on certain items.  it is kind of fun to go in there and act like you don't know anything and have the employees tell you some protein is better than another.  the only reason they do this is bec. they only make $$$ on certain ones.  So if you really want to piss an employee off, let him think you are going to rack up a lot but do it all on EAS or Twinlab...no commission on that!

Rhinoman

Awards
yes, most of the employees are dumber then rocks!  That's why I make a killing there!!! haha.  no, i am honest with everyone and usually tell them they can get stuff cheaper on line.  I think it is just plain irresponisible when people have no knowledge of what they are selling.  I walked into a GNC once and watched this guy try to sell stacker 2 to a man that was proabablly 300lbs over weight.  He told them there was no danger at all!!!!  Are you kidding?  A guy like that has his heart racing when he walks up a flight of stairs...let alone on stacker 2.  I would not be surprised if GNC employees are responsible for a number of deaths.  Also...a little first hand knowledge for ya all...there is only commission on certain items.  it is kind of fun to go in there and act like you don't know anything and have the employees tell you some protein is better than another.  the only reason they do this is bec. they only make $$$ on certain ones.  So if you really want to piss an employee off, let him think you are going to rack up a lot but do it all on EAS or Twinlab...no commission on that!

I knew it. Spiff!

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
couldnt be more true. just for chucks and giggles, i might have to roll down to one tonight and ask away on supps...probably be given your reponse of cell tech and trac as the best creatine products out there, best protein being somnabol/night charger/nitrovarin "the night time" proteins (which are blalently 55-90 bucks at gnc for 15 servings.....ha) and of course they gonna be pushing their own line.

DarCSA

Awards
To put it simply GNC is overpriced and doesn't have the selection that the online world has. It is good if you need something right now or are in a pinch other than that they aren't really good for anything. Just my opinion.

ndn diablo

Banned
Awards
What a great thread!

Chaseroy I used to work there a few years back myself, and jesus did I hate it. The stores dont care about anything other then pushing the products with high profit margin. I used to recieve commission on GNC products, but nothing on anything else. Which didnt make sense because we were taught to push products that were mainly non GNC brand. I went back there today to pick up a couple of supplements and come to find out that the BOGO discount is gone. The entire chain is becoming an overpriced trashhole. Its actually quite sad to see the number of people that get ripped off there daily.

ChaseRoy

Awards
Originally posted by windwords7
I go for the clearance racks only!

sometimes the clearance rack is good.  I just picked up 2 muscle milks for $20/piece.  this still is not a great deal...but at least i do not have to pay shipping.  Be careful that the things you are not buying on clearance are expired.  I went through the store the other day and pulled many items that had expired last year!  they like to put that stuff on clearance.  oh...next time you go, tell the employee you want to buy 50 gold cards!!!  Watch him go nuts, $2 commission on each one, haha.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
it is kind of fun to go in there and act like you don't know anything and have the employees tell you some protein is better than another. 
I love going in there and giving them a little "pop quiz" on new supps that just came out and shitty supplements (i.e. andro poppers and certain types of fat burners) and see what they say...

...and then after they are done telling me how great they are for 10-15 mins....I say, "Thanks for all the great information you gave me...but I was just looking around, thanks anyway."

:D

Its all one big mind game

LG. :cool: 

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established

sometimes the clearance rack is good.  I just picked up 2 muscle milks for $20/piece.  this still is not a great deal....
20 flat for muslce milk is good deal man. you know a place where i can get some for less?? then let a brother know baby!!

ChaseRoy

Awards

20 flat for muslce milk is good deal man. you know a place where i can get some for less?? then let a brother know baby!!

yeah, the stuff is expiring in March though.  And actually it is cheaper then that...$20 is what i am marking it down to, i still get my 30% off on top of that!  I think that dps may have them for 19.99 though, not sure. 

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established

yeah, the stuff is expiring in March though.  And actually it is cheaper then that...$20 is what i am marking it down to, i still get my 30% off on top of that!  I think that dps may have them for 19.99 though, not sure. 
nope, they dont. shoot...i thought you had a place you knew for sure that would be cheaper than where i usually get it (but i only get it once in awhile...@massnutrition or musclemagnepa, both around 21 + ship) I actually came upon a place that had the rootbeer which were expired in april of 2002, that they had for 15.99....but shipping was ridiculous) thanx though man.

ChaseRoy

Awards
best thing to do...go to a gnc, especially a small one, and check all the muscle milk's.  They do not sell well there bec. they are all priced at 39.99.  A lot of them may be expiring soon.  They are suppose to mark down like this:

3 months--->25% off

2 months--->50% off

1 month---->75% off

plus you still get the gold card on those!  If you are nice to the people there they will usually help you out unless they are by the book people, then you just hide a muscle milk in the back and come back when it is expiring! haha

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
best thing to do...go to a gnc, especially a small one, and check all the muscle milk's.  They do not sell well there bec. they are all priced at 39.99.  A lot of them may be expiring soon.  They are suppose to mark down like this:

3 months--->25% off

2 months--->50% off

1 month---->75% off

plus you still get the gold card on those!  If you are nice to the people there they will usually help you out unless they are by the book people, then you just hide a muscle milk in the back and come back when it is expiring! haha
ha!! yeeaaahhh doooogggg!! thanx for the insider chaseory. i live up here in ny so there blalently an infinite number of gnc's too. ill roll through some and karma points to you guy if things work out.

MassMachine

Awards
I work at GNC as well, store 5143, the GNC products themselves i feel are good quality, and most of the nutrients and vitamins arent priced to high.  We changed last week just like all the other stores and now we dont have the bogo discount.  It pisses me off because they kept our weekly goals the same, and expect us to sell the same amount of **** when they take that away ?...ive lost so many fuckin multi's and bogo products due to that **** its pissing me off, they are the reasons my PM;s are **** lately, what are you going to say when the person brings a multi vitamin up ?  "umm, do you want to get another multivitamin ?" ...no, if they wanted another one they would of grabbed one.  Me and my manager both agree this is the stupidest mistake that they will eventually realize once they see the stats.  But ya, today was our first goldcard day, sunday, and i sold 4 multi vitamins, last gold card day we sold 11, go figure, stupid ass corperate.

ChaseRoy

Awards
i just had to post here and brag about the deal i gave myself...i just picked up two muscle milks for, get this, $14!!!!  yup, only $7/piece.  what a deal, eh?

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i just had to post here and brag about the deal i gave myself...i just picked up two muscle milks for, get this, $14!!!!  yup, only $7/piece.  what a deal, eh?
you're killing me here man. Ive been looking for the best place to get MM. Got one for 19.95 and found another site in which they will beat anybody's price by 5% so it ends up at around 19. I know you work at gnc and all....but how you pull that one off? :mad:

ChaseRoy

Awards

you're killing me here man. Ive been looking for the best place to get MM. Got one for 19.95 and found another site in which they will beat anybody's price by 5% so it ends up at around 19. I know you work at gnc and all....but how you pull that one off? :mad:
well...by regulation if a product is with in one month of expiration we are allowed to use descetion and mmark down as much as 75% off.  I grabbed two muscle milks and marked them down bec. they expire next month.  then on top of that i get my 30% off.  tell me, do you use a full serv. a day?  I was planning on running 1/2/day and seeig how it works.  Also what site did you find those prices at?  I am sure i will be needing it in the future if i lke these two muscle milks.  Keep on checking the rendom GNC's!  you never know when you will get lucky, plus (an added bonus) GNC does not make any money off of you when you buy it that cheap.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
one lady was trying tosell me their GNC ProPerformance whey protein when I was looking at some 100% optimum whey and Nlarge2... i told her that it gave me indigestion when i first tried it...

she said "really?"

i said "yeah, i ended up trying isopure; and it was great"

"isopure?!? as lean as you are? didn't you have kidney problems with all the extra protein?"

I laughed and told her the effect of drinking water; and that i wasn't taking in anymore protein than before; just better quality stuff :) she didn't believe it...

prolly thinks Cell-tech works too :rolleyes:

i've now had two of my friends telling me I should try cell-tech... one is in the army; the other is a bber and a professional kickboxer; he's bigger than me by a good margin so there's no convincing him otherwise :) "it really works man"
"then why haven't you gained nearly a visible pound of muscle since i've known you?"

ChaseRoy

Awards
i dont think the question is whether it works friend, it is just way to expensive and does not work as good as they say.  i think the reason people do not like MuscleTech (myself included) is bec of their 200 page add reports that show fattys like lee priest suddenly transform in "the myth."  Then they try to pass it off like he did it with hydroxycut and cell tech.  Fat chance.  I am sure they meant to mention that he used clen and dianabol!!!  That's why they suck, not that their products dont work.  they are just waaaay over priced and prey on the unsuspecting customer.  sure, if I got the stuff free i would use it all the time, but I dont....so I won't!

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i dont think the question is whether it works friend, it is just way to expensive and does not work as good as they say.  i think the reason people do not like MuscleTech (myself included) is bec of their 200 page add reports that show fattys like lee priest suddenly transform in "the myth."  Then they try to pass it off like he did it with hydroxycut and cell tech.  Fat chance.  I am sure they meant to mention that he used clen and dianabol!!!  That's why they suck, not that their products dont work.  they are just waaaay over priced and prey on the unsuspecting customer.  sure, if I got the stuff free i would use it all the time, but I dont....so I won't!
i know. i think it all started with a few selected dudes hating on muscletech and their way of advertising their material. Then it became this big "muscletech/celltech/nitrotech doesnt work and cost too much" (when its basically only the latter thats truly correct) i mean, cell and nitro tech are just like any other creatine delivery and protein supp respectively (so it's gonna do you some good if you use them) but the prices (which are out of this world man) and worse, the ads you see every other page of every other fitness magazine is what draws people to not only hate their philosphy and product, but also think its useless. If i got them for free, i would use em. (enough said)

Rhinoman

Awards

It all about the darn advertisement, so if they see a huge guy, in their back of their head individuals will think that by using  X or Y products they will get huge. In any way this advertisements are misleading. And there a plethora  of product out there that do the same thing, If you make two left show and you advertised that they make you lose way, will be a line of people to buy.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

cyro8

Awards
I know what you mean!

I'm an employee at GNC myself and I hate my manager. I feel like everytime a customer comes in the best thing for me to do is rip them off. Just please don't shop here. I'm putting in my two weeks notice today to go somewhere where I actually can make a living. Find a website where you can get supplements cheap. Never let us talk you into buying a multivitamin or vita-packs. Just go with Animal Paks if you ever want to take a multi. They are much better. DOWN WITH GNC!!!!!

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
So the best thing for you to do is rip people off? You totally contradict yourself by saying you hate GNC and your manager.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
So the best thing for you to do is rip people off? You totally contradict yourself by saying you hate GNC and your manager.
sadly, GNC employees make a higher commission from selling certain products (read muscletech, and store brand). so to make more money, you have to steer people towards these two product brands. animal offers a very low commission, hence why its tucked away in the corner, and most GNC employees try to steer customers away from animal. a silly system IMO.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
as in the best thing for him to do to make money is rip them off. Which is why he is putting in his 2 weeks notice.

Stallion83

Stallion83

Awards
  • Established
Yup its good you have a job some jobs are just hard to come by. And as far as having ppl feel that they can put their trust in your hands just be honest, with supplements,maybe a quick reminder of how to eat something like that. The average person don't know anything abouthow important protein is, or maybe some just get lost and don't even have a goal. But as long as you are truthfull with products and put some interest on their goals Im sure you will be a very respected person. Good luck and have fun.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I go into gnc from time to time for a chuckle. However, intravol was 52 bucks and animal pump was 57 bucks. Hence the chuckle

cyro8

Awards
Well I'm supposed to have the intentions of pushing products onto people that don't work but I usually get honest with them and lead them to product that I know will work. I'm not saying I rip them off, but I'm SUPPOSED to. Take into example Wheybolic 60. The product provides 60g of protein per serving but each serving is 3 scoops. With the regular protein whey, one scoop is 20g of protein and is a hella lot cheaper. So essentially all you're paying for is the serving label. Now with me knowing this, I lead people to the regular protein instead of the overpriced wheybolic. And I hope I didn't contradict my speech this time.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I need to go back to the store in the run-down mall here - haven't been in a year or so. But they had AWESOME deals on the clearance racks all the time. That mall didn't get a lot of health conscious people, so stuff sat on the shelves for a long azz time.

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
I worked there during one summer in college and made badass commission pushing ****.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I worked there during one summer in college and made badass commission pushing ****.
So for an extra dime you were willing to rip people off? Dont ever own a supp store. That is how we get guys selling crap like tren to kids..

BigJack87

Awards

Not only that but I noticed some time ago that during the 1st seven days of the month, when gold card members supposedly get a deal they jack up the advertised price so that the discount price is actually the same as it is the 8th - 30th/31st. At least thats how it is here! The deception by this company is ridiculous :angryfire:

Sorry if anyone already stated this, I just read the original post.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Not only that but I noticed some time ago that during the 1st seven days of the month, when gold card members supposedly get a deal they jack up the advertised price so that the discount price is actually the same as it is the 8th - 30th/31st. At least thats how it is here! The deception by this company is ridiculous :angryfire:

Sorry if anyone already stated this, I just read the original post.
they are dirty indeed!

I wish I could get a small buisness loan and start up a my own company here in Ohio. Heck with Columbus, Cinci, or Cleveland to choose from plenty of buisness. Offer out Personal Training as well, maybe set up a weight room n such.

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
So for an extra dime you were willing to rip people off? Dont ever own a supp store. That is how we get guys selling crap like tren to kids..
I don't ever plan on owning a supp store; the supplement world isn't my life. I worked at GNC for a little over 2 months between soph. and jr. year of college.

If someone walked into the store eating an ice cream cone from the mall cafeteria and wanted to buy a bottle of Hydroxycut, I'm not going to stop them (+$3.00 per bottle sold). I would tell them a better diet is needed, but a substantial portion of the GNC clientele are casual shoppers. Sure, I would tell people to eat better, work out correctly, etc., but at the end of the day, most don't stick with it. And if they do, they eventually find out that their are better places to shop than GNC.

DEADn

DEADn

Awards
unpardonable sin

I did it yesterday. I have not bought anything from GNC since 1998 when they sold me some trash. I deserved it since I was ignorant about muscle building. Telling me to take aminos while I was selecting order in a produce warehouse. They white horse pills.

Yesterday my wife needed me to stop by a local nutrition store to pick up cranberry concentrate pill form. Well, I had to stop at the credit union to drop off a check and there was GNC across the street. The other store was going to be a 15-20 minute drive. I went to GNC and picked up it. Last one on the shelf and it costs $17 vs $10 at the other store. The comparsion on it vs the other store was this. Gnc brand vs national brand. Gnc 500mg per pill 45 servings. other brand 1200 mg 30 servings. Gnc brand, not fast acting. other brand fast acting and usually pain gone within an hour.

Well, my wifes pain is slowly going away but I bet she willl have half the bottle gone before her pain is totally gone.

I even looked at pysillium husks in powder form. $15 OUCH. I got mine for $5 but they aren't powder form. I wanna get powder form because the husks are rough to drink down with liquid.

Never again!

SwolePierce

SwolePierce

Awards
They tricked me into buying their brand of weight gainer over my usual cytogainer purchase. Worst decision ever!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Actually I am running with that start my own store idea. Seeing what kind of grants and small buisness loans are out there.... I have nothing to lose :privateeye:

First step in the defiance and elimination of GNC