Getting a Divorce. :(

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
i know but i have to talk to someone that can maybe shed some light.

Well the title speaks for itself. We have been struggling for a while now in our relationship and have decided to end it. It really sucks because i didd'nt realize that i could get so attached to a person. We have a beautiful little girl and i know that something like this will just make her life harder. We have agreed on Joint custody and have decided on the house and cars. We have went through alot together.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well brother, a hard choice and one that I hope not to make...again. Hopefully everything goes well in the end and your child doesn't become an issue.(source of arguements between you two)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry to hear it, man...divorce is tough. Yeah, I think we DO get attached to others, even to our detriment.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
In times of great personal pain and torment remember one loving thought has the same power as ten negative ones. That little girl is all you need to get through this. The sun will rise and when the legal dust settles you are able to find a new woman to make new happy memories with and your daughter can get another present under the tree.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the helpful insight, man its really a bummer. it makes you really look at things. You think that things are going to be ok forever and before you know it its turned on you. At least its not about cheating or anything like that. Just disagreement between us. i have seen that some of you have been through this what is the best way to handle it legally? I am not looking to get full custody (we agreed on joint) but i want to have my butt covered also in case things get rough.

like i said thanks again. :)

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the helpful insight, man its really a bummer. it makes you really look at things. You think that things are going to be ok forever and before you know it its turned on you. At least its not about cheating or anything like that. Just disagreement between us. i have seen that some of you have been through this what is the best way to handle it legally? I am not looking to get full custody (we agreed on joint) but i want to have my butt covered also in case things get rough.

You need to draft a parenting plan which spells out joint custody, how visitation will be decided (who gets which holiday, etc.), how will her school expenses be paid (as she gets older they will grow); how will college be paid for; how will medical coverage for your little girl be handled, etc.

Basically, think of all the decisions that will have to be made, and try and decide them now (or at least decide how you will decide them later).

People make verbal agreements but three years from now what if your ex-wife remarries and her new husband gets a job offer in another state? What if your ex-wife suddenly decides she wants full custody.....or that you don't get to see your daughter every other Christmas? You need to anticipate those things and nail them down in a legally enforceable contract now.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established

Ive never been married but im i an ongoing custody situation, i say situation because since my sons birth i have refused to engage in a "battle" it solves nothing. The court is involved regaurding kids when all else fails, its not the first action its the last, its the result of when two reasonable human beings stop being reasonable. My best advice be the best man you can be, keep a diary of your time with your daughter, visits, time together, activities, things she says. This is a giant piece of evidence in an unfavorable situation where its your words against hers. Ive put up with crap ive never needed, ive withstood arguments, name calling, jealousy all because its not about me its about he welfare of your child. I hate the "system" as its so indescriminate that it almost losses sight of the fact that some people are good parents and some arent. The system tries to be fair to everyone and in alot of cases gives parental rights/preferences to prostitues and drug addicts because it tries so hard to not discriminate.
Find any way you can to prove your a good loving father and you put the time in with your daughter, this will protect your azz.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
You need to draft a parenting plan which spells out joint custody, how visitation will be decided (who gets which holiday, etc.), how will her school expenses be paid (as she gets older they will grow); how will college be paid for; how will medical coverage for your little girl be handled, etc.

Basically, think of all the decisions that will have to be made, and try and decide them now (or at least decide how you will decide them later).
Yeah this is good advice, a paper trail and indesputable evidence wins cases. YR are you a lawyer ?

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
Very good info!! thanks im glad that i read this here now because tomorrow we have agreed that ill get to have her for the day. I'm sure the wife will be fair but like what was said above if she all of a sudden changes her mind, what then? What are my options i have a family member telling me that i need to get me a good lawyer and get full custody but i dont want to be an ass like that but i do want my daughter in my life more than every other weekend. **** THIS SUCKS!!

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Very good info!! thanks im glad that i read this here now because tomorrow we have agreed that ill get to have her for the day. I'm sure the wife will be fair but like what was said above if she all of a sudden changes her mind, what then? What are my options i have a family member telling me that i need to get me a good lawyer and get full custody but i dont want to be an ass like that but i do want my daughter in my life more than every other weekend. **** THIS SUCKS!!
Look, women almost always get primary custody because it is recognized that they are usually the primary caregivers for the child.....so unless there is a reason to seek full-custody (your wife is somehow a danger to your child) then you shouldn't...because you'll lose most likely and you'll lose the goodwill of your wife most certainly. If your wife is a crack-whore who might sell your kid for a rock, then seek full custody. Otherwise, I wouldn't go that route.

If you two are being quite amicable about this, then it would probably make sense to have a lawyer (who specializes in family law) help you draft a parenting plan.

What people forget is that life will go on. Each of you will meet new people, get new jobs, etc. At some point, the informal verbal agreements you reach now might not make sense or might not be desirable to one parent. You need to sort-out how you will resolve these things now when you're both pretty much on the same page.

Your daughter's welfare is what matters most. She doesn't need to be put in the middle of you and your ex-wife fighting 5 years from now. Talk to your wife in those terms. Nothing negative, just say that your daughter comes first and you two need to anticipate the things that might happen and agree to solutions (or at least dispute resolution mechanisms) now. You NEED to get the joint custody agreement in a legally binding document.

Nonetheless, you need to do some thinking. It's probably not in your daughter's interest to be shunted back and forth between two homes every other night. Your wife's home will probably become her primary home. This may not be what is best for you but it is probably what is best for your daughter. Spend some time thinking about her needs, your needs and your wife's needs, and get an agreement that balances them all. If an agreement is too lopsided, it will fall apart down the line.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Look, women almost always get primary custody because it is recognized that they are usually the primary caregivers for the child.....so unless there is a reason to seek full-custody (your wife is somehow a danger to your child) then you shouldn't...because you'll lose most likely and you'll lose the goodwill of your wife most certainly. If your wife is a crack-whore who might sell yoru kid for a rock, then seek full custody. Otherwise, I wouldn't go that route.

If you guys are being quite amicable about this, then it would probably make sense to have a lawyer (who specializes in family law) help you draft a parenting plan.

What people forget is that life will go on. Each of you will meet new people, get new jobs, etc. At some point, the informal verbal agreements you reach now might not make sense or might not be desirable to one parent. You need to sort-out how you will resolve these things now when you're both pretty much on the same page.

Your daughter's welfare is what matters most. She doesn't need to be put in the middle of you and your ex-wife fighting 5 years from now. Talk to your wife in those terms. Nothing negative, just say that yoru daughter comes first and you two need to anticipate the things that might happen and agree to solutions (or at least dispute resolution mechanisms) now. You NEED to get the joint custody agreement in a leaglly binding document.

Nonetheless, you need to do some thinking. It's probably not in your daughter's interest to be shunted back and forth between two homes every other night. Your wifee's home will probably become her primary home. This may not be what is best for you but it is probably what is best for your daughter. Spend some time thinking about her needs, your needs and your wife's needs, and get an agreement that balances them all. If an agreement is too lopsided, it will fall apart down the line.
you may hear conflicting info about his topic... coming from a neutral party you cannot do better than this advice. truly.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
You NEED to get the joint custody agreement in a legally binding document.

Nonetheless, you need to do some thinking. It's probably not in your daughter's interest to be shunted back and forth between two homes every other night. Your wife's home will probably become her primary home.
i come from a military background so trust me EVERYTHING will be on paper. :)

i know what you are saying here and COMPLETELY understand and will approach it like that but it still sucks man, just have to get over it. I guess going to the gym will help me cope and doing my normal day to day things without her will help. I honestly never saw it as being that bad, as to where we need a divorce that just came outta left field, but she is sticking to her guns with it and going forth so im going to go through the motions also. My daughter will be the main concern though. My wife is really handling this well and not being a B$%#& about it so i don't think it'll be bad at all.

Thanks.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Look, women almost always get primary custody because it is recognized that they are usually the primary caregivers for the child....so unless there is a reason to seek full-custody (your wife is somehow a danger to your child) then you shouldn't...because you'll lose most likely and you'll lose the goodwill of your wife most certainly.
women almost always get custody because society has decided mothers are the real parents. Even the best father is considered a poor substitute for even the worst mother. The only real way to counter this is to prove (if possible) that the mother is an active threat to the child's survival. As this is a sure way to damage a child, it really doesn't merit serious consideration (unless the mom really *IS* a clear & present danger, in which case, don't hold back). Sole-custody fathers have virtually no services available to them of any kind.

If you two are being quite amicable about this, then it would probably make sense to have a lawyer (who specializes in family law) help you draft a parenting plan. You NEED to get the joint custody agreement in a legally binding document.
quoted for truth.

This may sound bizarre, ridiculous, or whatever, but - if there are no lawyers involved, or if you have one lawyer assisting both of you (it may be illegal in your state for a single attorney to represent both of you in this), or you have a lawyer and your wife doesn't, the law will incline toward the view that your agreement is exactly how YOU want things, and so a court may consider itself compelled to act as de-facto advocate for your wife in any action down the road. The only way I found through this was to hire a lawyer to represent me, and hire a second lawyer to represent her (she chose the lawyer). This was, in part, to avoid getting royally reamed down the road, and also to establish a track record as a co-operative partner, should the future require it).
Nonetheless, you need to do some thinking. It's probably not in your daughter's interest to be shunted back and forth between two homes every other night. Your wife's home will probably become her primary home. This may not be what is best for you but it is probably what is best for your daughter. Spend some time thinking about her needs, your needs and your wife's needs, and get an agreement that balances them all. If an agreement is too lopsided, it will fall apart down the line.
Your daughter may come to call her mother's home her home, but don't assume that you're not fit to do the job yourself, or that her mom has some ineffable magic leg-up that makes her automatically a better parent: living without you may not help your girl in any way, so keep focused on her what you know about her, fight for what she needs, fight for your place in her life - don't let others take advantage of her - but don't expect a merit badge....

You're not alone, bro - as you've seen, many good men have walked this sad & sorry path; learn from it, let it clarify things for you, let it strengthen your resolve and give you compassion...not just for your wife, not just for your daughter, but compassion for yourself; there is no greater hurt than to lose a child, and anyone with a human heart will feel that loss, and to grieve it....

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I'm with you bro...I had a woman destroy my heart once...Still not completely over it. One word of advice: Don't jump into the arms of the first nice girl you meet. Give it time. Even if the girl is awesome you could spoil it by not being completely over the first one. I almost did that. Cherish your time with your daughter...and the rest of the time get your ass in the gym. Take up a new hobby. I took up golf...just hang in there man.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
THANKS!! this is all good info, keep it coming. I will be in my daughters life and take up other interests (mainly getting back into the competition state of mind) but its hard waking up in the morning with her not there. in the same sense it is nice to have the extra pillows. :)

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
so i guess im getting used to the fact she is not here. Now the legal stuff. We have a house and i have a VA loan (i am the veteran) she is listed as a co-buyer and there is a tremendous equity built up in it. She says she wants me to sign it over to her i say i want to sell and split the extra cash and both of us be done with it. If she wants it she can pay me the difference. What do yall think?

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
i know but i have to talk to someone that can maybe shed some light.

Well the title speaks for itself. We have been struggling for a while now in our relationship and have decided to end it. It really sucks because i didd'nt realize that i could get so attached to a person. We have a beautiful little girl and i know that something like this will just make her life harder. We have agreed on Joint custody and have decided on the house and cars. We have went through alot together.
hope it all works out for you wildman:)

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
You got married too young. Looking at my circle of 20-something y/o friends, the most happy and sucessful ones tend to be single or only casually dating.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
yeah id have to agree about the too young thing. Time to reevaluate my priorities

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
so i guess im getting used to the fact she is not here. Now the legal stuff. We have a house and i have a VA loan (i am the veteran) she is listed as a co-buyer and there is a tremendous equity built up in it. She says she wants me to sign it over to her i say i want to sell and split the extra cash and both of us be done with it. If she wants it she can pay me the difference. What do yall think?
I'd say sell it, but you really should hire a lawyer.

tepper

Awards
Hey, I am an attorney. If u have any questions, ask away

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I wouldnt do anything like that without professional help and a written contract.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
srry to hear that bro. Ive helped alot of friends and family through divorces so just keep ya chin up and think positive. Your not much older than me, and at least the relationship ended early in your life rather than when you are over 40, like ost of my family for insistance, so an in essence you have a chance to start over. It may be rough here and there but itll work out and youll start to enjoy the advantages, and forget the loses soon enough. Just takes time, hope everyting goes well for ya.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
thanks for all the replies. I have spoken to a lawyer and would like to keep this relatively cheap (i know itll be expensive anyway) but.........

The first saturday night and it sucks. Dont feel like going out just want to sit and be depressed i guess. :(

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
so tomorrow will be three weeks since we split. I think the "end of the world" feeling has subsided and things are better for me. Just having to be a hardA$$ about the house Etc.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
Hey, I am an attorney. If u have any questions, ask away
thanks for chiming in, i have the papers (the delivery man brought them yesterday :fool2: ) the wording looks good, now i know that you are thinking "yeah right" when i say this but believe me when i say this i have NEVER mistreated her in any way, but on the papers one of the reasons listed is cruel treatment towards her--which is TOTAL BS and she even admitted it to me on the phone and said that her lawyer just added that to get me into the office and get it over with. I do not want to go in and agree under that circumstance and have something like that written up when even she is admitting that it is false. What are my options if you dont mind the asking??

Thanks again.

TheCSWFighter

Awards
How would "cruel treatment" written encourage you to come in and get everything over with? Now I know some lawyers can be dicks but I don't know of any lawyers who would have that reasoning for writing such a thing. If anything, it encourages one to go get their own attorney to get this matter solved because obviously someone is bull****ting so that they can get leverage in getting whatever they want. I find it hard to believe is all. Maybe your wife is telling the truth, maybe she is blaming her own senseless doings on her lawyer. Either way, I would not walk in there and agree to that. That's just asking that you never get to see your kid again.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
thanks for chiming in, i have the papers (the delivery man brought them yesterday :fool2: ) the wording looks good, now i know that you are thinking "yeah right" when i say this but believe me when i say this i have NEVER mistreated her in any way, but on the papers one of the reasons listed is cruel treatment towards her--which is TOTAL BS and she even admitted it to me on the phone and said that her lawyer just added that to get me into the office and get it over with. I do not want to go in and agree under that circumstance and have something like that written up when even she is admitting that it is false. What are my options if you dont mind the asking??

Thanks again.

Sounds like a ploy to get you to admit to something she and her lawyer can use to build a custody case against you, i wouldnt sign anything false.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't sign that wildman, that could open up some loopholes that screw you in the end bro. BTW, sorry to hear you're going through this. I've only broken up with girlfriends so this must be pretty damn rough. Keep your head up and make the wieghts pay :)

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
Thanks again all, Yeah i told her theres no chance id go in and sign that document with that LIE on it. S%&* sucks!!

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Remember when the going gets tough, your true character will shine as diversity brings out the best in people. Your lookingout for your daughters needs and as long as you dont forget how important you are to her youll be fine.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
i intend on staying strong and being as fair as i can with her. It just sucks when she is playing "dirty" and im trying to be right about it is all.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
i intend on staying strong and being as fair as i can with her. It just sucks when she is playing "dirty" and im trying to be right about it is all.
Theres nothing worse than living with regret, when you do the right thing no matter what happens you'll know you did the right thing, and it only makes you a better person. She'll hopefully see the err in her ways but a breakup can bring out the worst in a person. Look ahead to the bright future you have instead of the "dirty" past.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
ok so its been a couple of months. We have worked out a temp custody schedule (agreed upon in court.) now we have to get the darn thing. What she wants is "joint physical custody" with all the research ive been doing i have found that that is basically joint shared custody??

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
ok so its been a couple of months. We have worked out a temp custody schedule (agreed upon in court.) now we have to get the darn thing. What she wants is "joint physical custody" with all the research ive been doing i have found that that is basically joint shared custody??
Hey Wildman..I am very sorry for your divorce.

Basically, that means that she would live x amount of days at your residence and y amount of days at your spouse's residence.

If your child is school age, that may cause the child some "issues" depending on how far apart you and the mom live.

I hope that you find away to resolve your issues. It's never too late.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
Hey Wildman..I am very sorry for your divorce.

Basically, that means that she would live x amount of days at your residence and y amount of days at your spouse's residence.

If your child is school age, that may cause the child some "issues" depending on how far apart you and the mom live.

I hope that you find away to resolve your issues. It's never too late.
Thanks for the kind words, yeah we are talking more about it. My daughter is 1 and a half so school is not here YET./

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Keep your head up brother, I am officially divorced, and it feels great, but with children it can be complicated, so no matter what never turn your back on your child because of her mother. (not saying you will but Women make stuff difficult...)

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am sorry to hear about this. It is very difficult with a little child. My daughter is 4 and the thought have this is painful. Good luck to you