Stupid computer problems, cpu overheating

1. Registered User
    Answers

Angry Stupid computer problems, cpu overheating

Man my computer drove me nuts this week. It kept freezing up. I tried everything, defrag virus scan, system restore, even a complete format and reinstall and it still froze. I finally found out it was the cpu fan I guess the cpu was overheating. The fan was running but pretty slow.

Right now I have the case open on my desk with a 15 inch full size fan blowing into it and it is running fine. Going to buy a new fan this payday. What kind should I get? the first one lasted like 4 years and I bought a new radio shack one thats lasted one year

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

www.newegg.com Check out something that has a bearing motor, My comp has fans on everything. ram, hard drive, cpu, case. Sounds like a jet engine when it starts up :P
  3. Banned
    Answers

Make sure the heatsink is making proper contact with the cpu. Maybe try some thermal paste. But since it sounds like the fan is just plane dying, make sure to lube up ANY cheap fan that you buy for ANY purpose!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldIsMyIdol
    Man my computer drove me nuts this week. It kept freezing up. I tried everything, defrag virus scan, system restore, even a complete format and reinstall and it still froze. I finally found out it was the cpu fan I guess the cpu was overheating. The fan was running but pretty slow.

Right now I have the case open on my desk with a 15 inch full size fan blowing into it and it is running fine. Going to buy a new fan this payday. What kind should I get? the first one lasted like 4 years and I bought a new radio shack one thats lasted one year
    What kind of CPU do you have? Don't want to get the biggest and baddest fan with heatsink if your CPU doesn't even support it. What is your CPU temps reading?
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asap nutrition
    What kind of CPU do you have? Don't want to get the biggest and baddest fan with heatsink if your CPU doesn't even support it. What is your CPU temps reading?
    It is an old 766mhz Intel Celeron. The fan was mounted fine but running pretty slow.

How do you check the actual temp? I just put my finger on it and it felt unreasonably hot to me.
  6. Banned
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldIsMyIdol
    It is an old 766mhz Intel Celeron. The fan was mounted fine but running pretty slow.

How do you check the actual temp? I just put my finger on it and it felt unreasonably hot to me.

I think it is time for a new CPU! Jeez that is a slow setup! lol
    BIOS for temps.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Pricegrabber.com and Newegg.com are your two best bets for computer components at the cheapest prices. Also chek out mwave.com.

Always compare prices at various sites that is why I suggested pricegrabber so check that out.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    I think it is time for a new CPU! Jeez that is a slow setup! lol
    BIOS for temps.
    Yeah but it meets my needs and besides I am a cheap bastard. I thought about getting a new PC this payday or beginning to install my laminate flooring. The flooring won.

If this computer doesent die when I get a new one it will go into my living room to retire as an MP3 jukebox for my stereo.
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Answers

go to newegg like jayhawkk suggested, pickup a good cooler like a zalman and get some thermal paste. That will take care of the overheating problem.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufacturer/advanced-muscle-science/
  10. Gold Member
    Answers

Check out Motherboard Monitor if you mobo supports it. CPUs can run pretty hot so just checking with your finger may not tell you anything.

Also check your case fans etc. - if there is no or little air flow into your box then the fan will not help too much either.

Make sure you know what you are doing before you take the cpu fan off. It's not difficult to do but you can very well fry your cpu just by touching it w/o being grounded or simply break the board by trying to pry the thing off...
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rocketscientist
    Check out Motherboard Monitor if you mobo supports it. CPUs can run pretty hot so just checking with your finger may not tell you anything.

Also check your case fans etc. - if there is no or little air flow into your box then the fan will not help too much either.

Make sure you know what you are doing before you take the cpu fan off. It's not difficult to do but you can very well fry your cpu just by touching it w/o being grounded or simply break the board by trying to pry the thing off...

Good suggestion but I highly doubt MBM5 will support a 766 celeron. Take that puter out to the drive and drop kick it. Build a new one from New Egg
  12. Gold Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Viperspit
    Take that puter out to the drive and drop kick it. Build a new one from New Egg
    If you have an ATX case don't drop-kick that... you can get a reasonable mobo/cpu/video combo for less than $100. Just add some compatible memory and keep all other stuff. Easy to do and you don't need to install a new operating system etc...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Computer problem
    By Whacked in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 10:53 PM
  2. Computer Problem
    By RedwolfWV in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 12:18 PM
  3. My newest computer question/problem...
    By Jergo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 03:53 PM
  4. I have a stupid question...(i think :) )
    By flexall454 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-17-2002, 06:42 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2002, 10:37 PM