Stupid computer problems, cpu overheating

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Man my computer drove me nuts this week. It kept freezing up. I tried everything, defrag virus scan, system restore, even a complete format and reinstall and it still froze. I finally found out it was the cpu fan I guess the cpu was overheating. The fan was running but pretty slow.

Right now I have the case open on my desk with a 15 inch full size fan blowing into it and it is running fine. Going to buy a new fan this payday. What kind should I get? the first one lasted like 4 years and I bought a new radio shack one thats lasted one year

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
www.newegg.com Check out something that has a bearing motor, My comp has fans on everything. ram, hard drive, cpu, case. Sounds like a jet engine when it starts up :p

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Make sure the heatsink is making proper contact with the cpu. Maybe try some thermal paste. But since it sounds like the fan is just plane dying, make sure to lube up ANY cheap fan that you buy for ANY purpose!

asap nutrition

Awards
  • Established
Man my computer drove me nuts this week. It kept freezing up. I tried everything, defrag virus scan, system restore, even a complete format and reinstall and it still froze. I finally found out it was the cpu fan I guess the cpu was overheating. The fan was running but pretty slow.

Right now I have the case open on my desk with a 15 inch full size fan blowing into it and it is running fine. Going to buy a new fan this payday. What kind should I get? the first one lasted like 4 years and I bought a new radio shack one thats lasted one year
What kind of CPU do you have? Don't want to get the biggest and baddest fan with heatsink if your CPU doesn't even support it. What is your CPU temps reading?

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
What kind of CPU do you have? Don't want to get the biggest and baddest fan with heatsink if your CPU doesn't even support it. What is your CPU temps reading?
It is an old 766mhz Intel Celeron. The fan was mounted fine but running pretty slow.

How do you check the actual temp? I just put my finger on it and it felt unreasonably hot to me.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It is an old 766mhz Intel Celeron. The fan was mounted fine but running pretty slow.

How do you check the actual temp? I just put my finger on it and it felt unreasonably hot to me.

I think it is time for a new CPU! Jeez that is a slow setup! lol
BIOS for temps.

asap nutrition

Awards
  • Established
Pricegrabber.com and Newegg.com are your two best bets for computer components at the cheapest prices. Also chek out mwave.com.

Always compare prices at various sites that is why I suggested pricegrabber so check that out.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
I think it is time for a new CPU! Jeez that is a slow setup! lol
BIOS for temps.
Yeah but it meets my needs and besides I am a cheap bastard. I thought about getting a new PC this payday or beginning to install my laminate flooring. The flooring won.

If this computer doesent die when I get a new one it will go into my living room to retire as an MP3 jukebox for my stereo.

tattoopierced1

go to newegg like jayhawkk suggested, pickup a good cooler like a zalman and get some thermal paste. That will take care of the overheating problem.

rocketscientist

Awards
Check out Motherboard Monitor if you mobo supports it. CPUs can run pretty hot so just checking with your finger may not tell you anything.

Also check your case fans etc. - if there is no or little air flow into your box then the fan will not help too much either.

Make sure you know what you are doing before you take the cpu fan off. It's not difficult to do but you can very well fry your cpu just by touching it w/o being grounded or simply break the board by trying to pry the thing off...

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
Check out Motherboard Monitor if you mobo supports it. CPUs can run pretty hot so just checking with your finger may not tell you anything.

Also check your case fans etc. - if there is no or little air flow into your box then the fan will not help too much either.

Make sure you know what you are doing before you take the cpu fan off. It's not difficult to do but you can very well fry your cpu just by touching it w/o being grounded or simply break the board by trying to pry the thing off...

Good suggestion but I highly doubt MBM5 will support a 766 celeron. Take that puter out to the drive and drop kick it. :D Build a new one from New Egg :head:

rocketscientist

Awards
Take that puter out to the drive and drop kick it. :D Build a new one from New Egg :head:
If you have an ATX case don't drop-kick that... you can get a reasonable mobo/cpu/video combo for less than $100. Just add some compatible memory and keep all other stuff. Easy to do and you don't need to install a new operating system etc...