any studies on adderall and hgh output ?

WATERLOGGED

WATERLOGGED

supreme being
Awards
  • Established
hey bro s , i need some imfomation if somone can help , well my daughter(12yrs old- 6th grade) has adhd and she been on Adderall for over a year and has not put on a pound or grew ,as a matter of fact her younger sister by 2 yrs{3rd grade} has pased her up in weight and heith. the docter is cocerned since she only weighs 63 lbs. ,has there been any studies done regarding decreased hgh output or anything similar you help would be appreciated.

oh and she eats healthy and a lot but to no avail.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
hey bro s , i need some imfomation if somone can help , well my daughter(12yrs old- 6th grade) has adhd and she been on Adderall for over a year and has not put on a pound or grew ,as a matter of fact her younger sister by 2 yrs{3rd grade} has pased her up in weight and heith. the docter is cocerned since she only weighs 63 lbs. ,has there been any studies done regarding decreased hgh output or anything similar you help would be appreciated.

No idea about Hgh output but adderal is a blend of two amphetamines so it probably raises her matabolism. She may need to bulk up on the calories to see if that helps.

CREAO

Awards
alot of my friends are on adderall, they say its an extreme appetite suppresant. Most of them lose 10-15 lbs in the first month just from lack of adequate nutrition

WATERLOGGED

WATERLOGGED

supreme being
Awards
  • Established
well is she too young or can i start her on a good weightgain formula ?

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
yeahright and CREAO are dead on. You could look up studies on amphetamine and HGH output, same thing.

Aren't there non-amphetamine ADD meds nowadays?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I sometimes take an extended release adderall a day before my exams so i can study hardcore and i can definitely assure you t that not only am i not hungry but i feel cracked out.

yeahright and CREAO are definitely right on about the amphetamines, however, and I definitely recommend she up her caloric intake. Her metabolism due to the fact she is young plus the adderall definitely has a profound effect on weight gain. Truthfully I don't feel adderall should be taken long term as it has been shown in various studies to cause heart palpatations and other complications. She should probably take it more only when she needs to study or get things done. I would definitely look into an alternative ADD medication.

CREAO

Awards
I remember reading a study about natural ways to treat ADD, and i beileve they said lack of omega fatty acids are one of the reasons children develop the disorder in the first place.

So, I would maybe look into supplementing fish oil or something along those lines.

and ill try and find the study for you

CREAO

Awards
Hyperactive children lack essential fatty acids
WEST LAFAYETTE, INDIANA. Children suffering from attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are inattentive, impulsive, and hyperactive. Researchers at Purdue University now report that hyperactive children have lower levels of key fatty acids in their blood than do normal children. Their experiment involved 53 boys aged 6 to 12 years of age who suffered from ADHD, but were otherwise healthy and 43 matched controls. Analyses showed that the boys with ADHD had significantly lower levels of arachidonic, eicosapentaenoic, and docosahexaenoic acids in their blood. The hyperactive children suffered more from symptoms associated with essential fatty acid deficiency (thirst, frequent urination, and dry hair and skin) and were also much more likely to have asthma and to have had many ear infections. The researchers conclude that ADHD may be linked to a low intake of omega-3 fatty acids (linolenic, eicosapentaenoic, and docosahexaenoic acids) or a poorer ability to convert 18-carbon fatty acids to longer more highly unsaturated acids. The researchers conclude that supplementation with the missing fatty acids may be a useful treatment for hyperactivity.
Stevens, Laura J., et al. Essential fatty acid metabolism in boys with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 62, No. 4, October 1995, pp. 761-68

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I did some research on ADD/ADHD during my MEd, and I recall research consistent w/ CREAO's EFA's findings, as well as high GI, low nutritional value carbs.

A great way to boost her cals, and work on these goals would be to get her to eat a lot of natty PB or almond butter sandwiches on wheat. Good luck getting a 12 year old to take tbsps of flax.

Will she eat fish? If you get salmon, make sure it is wild. Farm-raised is creepy. Hopefully you can at least get her to take flax/fish oil caps.

BTW, I've taken ritalin, and felt like I was on coke. It almost interfered with studying b/c I wouldn't shut up. It can also cause insomnia. Sleep is essential at your daughters age, and it is during sleep that gh output peaks. Has she reported insomnia?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah there are a lot of foods out there now that offer omega-3 versions. Peanut butter, regular butter, and even cereals are starting to offer things such as this. I know for sure publix has an omega-3 fat peanut better, I buy smart balance butter spread with omega-3, they have omega-3 eggs (much better), and some of the kashi cereals are outstanding with a splenda packet. Get them eating that food now though so they will eventually develop a habit.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
There are also EPA/DHA supplements specifically designed for children (small pills or chewable). Check your vitamin store.

WATERLOGGED

WATERLOGGED

supreme being
Awards
  • Established
thanks bros youve all been very helpful and imformative and beowolf yes i cant seems to get her to sleep , her clock seems to never wind down, we do eat fish 1-2x a wk i ll def. include more pb and i'm gonna look into a non anphentamine for her, since growth is the most important thing for her at this time.....she was on strattera(non-amphetamine) last year maybe i'll go back to it and change her diet and increase her cals.

theface

theface

Awards
  • Established

I've done a ton of research on this, and it seems like Adderall could stunt the growth of children. I was prescribed when I was 13, and stopped taking the drug until I was 21 for this very reason. There are too many conflicting arguments on this, which I believe stems from Shire Pharma putting their money grubbing hands in everything. I would try an alternative medication for the time being.