Personal Trainer Certification

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Hi everybody,

I am looking into getting a personal trainning certification soon and leanning toward NASM.

Im just curious how many members here have PT certs and why they chose the certs they have.

Any input would be great.

Brennon

Awards
NASM, NCSF, and Apex if you want to consider that a cert. I'm in my fourth year for my degree in Kinesiology. NCSF was just easy, NASM because it's becoming more and more widely accepted. Do I really like any of the certs out there right now? Nah...not really. I wouldn't want someone training me that had anything less than a degree in Kinesiology or a related field, but that's just me. I see the level of education in a lot of my coworkers and it really frightens me.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I'd go with NASM. Brennon I respect your opinion but I didn't graduate college with a Kinesiology degree and I"m one of the top trainers where I'm at. In fact most of the trainers I work with have degrees in Kines. and they constantly come to me for help and information.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
certifications and degrees don't mean dick unless you have experience in the weight room. i've talked to guys with both that swore i should be doing full range squats balancing on top of a fucking swiss ball for core work. he was about 165lbs at 6'. jminis, did your certification actually teach you anything or did you just teach yourself through years of experience?

regardless, if you want to personal train (which i intend to one day), those little pieces of paper are required.

Brennon

Awards
I'd go with NASM. Brennon I respect your opinion but I didn't graduate college with a Kinesiology degree and I"m one of the top trainers where I'm at. In fact most of the trainers I work with have degrees in Kines. and they constantly come to me for help and information.
NASM is good for teaching basic anatomy and about muscular imbalances. So it is one of the best. I'm not a big fan of their OPT model (an attempt at some sort of periodization?). It just doesn't seem practical or functional in my eyes.

And of course it's just a generalization. I know a few...well a lot...with degrees that don't know much either. I guess it sort of just depends. I wasn't directing that at you either, bro, as being on this board alone probably means you don't fit the generalization. There's a lot of that swiss ball crap that goes on around my work as well, but unless my client is willing to at least squat and deadlift (assuming there are no physical limitations) I won't train him/her.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
I got certified about 5 months ago, just a basic, nothing specific. There were people there who already worked at Ballys who new dick and others who just worked out alot and learned as they went along who knew more. If you have a good memory, you can pass a test. Does that mean that you can train someone, hell no. Like Beelz said, it doesnt mean **** unless you practice what you prech and continue to learn.

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input everyone.

I am seriously thinking about going back to school and getting a nursing degree.

The trainning cert serves a couple of purposes for me.

One, to expand my own knowledge and improve my own trainning.

Second, is to see if I would like working with people in this capacity.

Also, I might be able earn some extra money while going back to school.

I just wonder what cert would benefit my nursing degree the most.

Atlas

Awards
Look at the thread Personal Training and Nutritionist, lots of good info there!

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Just posted over there...:nutkick: I am going to abandon this one.

sourwood

Awards
certifications and degrees don't mean dick unless you have experience in the weight room. i've talked to guys with both that swore i should be doing full range squats balancing on top of a fucking swiss ball for core work. he was about 165lbs at 6'. jminis, did your certification actually teach you anything or did you just teach yourself through years of experience?

regardless, if you want to personal train (which i intend to one day), those little pieces of paper are required.

oh my god that is funny as ****!:rofl: