thinking about moving across the country...

blackwater

Awards
hey there, i am 20 right now and I go to college in upstate NY, and i reallly want to get out of this place...

Ive been doing some research and talking to some friends from Cali, more specifically santa barbara, and was thinking about moving out there by myself, to attend college next fall. Any idea how much money i should save up to make the transition? Please note i will have to get an apartment (probably share one) and tuition will be paid by my dad most likely.... Thanks:wave:

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
A lot. SB isn't cheap. In fact, California isn't cheap. Then again, I'm sure NY isn't cheap either. The closer you get to the metropolitian areas, the more expensive it will be. Do your research before you make such a big change. It would be a pain in the ass to move your ass back across the country. BTW, have you spent any time in Cali?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Also, I moved from Cali to SC this past year. Can't say I like SC all that much, but the cost of living makes it a whole lot easier to live here.

blackwater

Awards
i visited when i was younger, basically i want to go because i want to experience life, i am trapped in a shithole town up here, the only costs i will need to be concerned about is really cost of living, as i want to pay as much as i can so my father doesnt have to in addition to tuition. Whats a good number i should aim for to save up too? $5k?

Also Ive lived on long island all my life and everything costs alot out here also, so it will only be a matter of adapting. My family, however, doesnt have loads of money to be spending like that. any input appreciated..

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
$5000 would be a good start, but save as much as you can just in case. Since you are by yourself (right?), moving should be much easier on you. My wife and I had to borrow 4 grand just to move across country and have enough money to live off of for a short while. The toughest part will be looking for a job and getting settled into a routine. You might feel like a fish out of the water for a little while. Try finding a place before you get out there, it saved a lot of time and headache for my wife and I when we moved. Also find a place that has a deal going on. For instance, the place we found had a "First month's rent free" deal. If you can try looking into jobs too. Just some ideas.

blackwater

Awards
$5000 would be a good start, but save as much as you can just in case. Since you are by yourself (right?), moving should be much easier on you. My wife and I had to borrow 4 grand just to move across country and have enough money to live off of for a short while. The toughest part will be looking for a job and getting settled into a routine. You might feel like a fish out of the water for a little while. Try finding a place before you get out there, it saved a lot of time and headache for my wife and I when we moved. Also find a place that has a deal going on. For instance, the place we found had a "First month's rent free" deal. If you can try looking into jobs too. Just some ideas.

cool man thanks for your help. yes i plan on moving by myself, so i wouldnt need to bring many belongings, just the neccessities such as clothes and computer, and the rest i can get there. Im taking a welding class this semester so hopefully maybe that opens a door when i get out there so i can help support myself.

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I can only repeat what nate said - cali is hella expensive. rent, food, gas... you name it.
that and the some of the folks are protentious pricks, but this you allready know too I believe

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Wow, your father is still alive? He's gotta be over a 100 at this point with you being 82 and all. :toofunny:

Word to the wise, IIRC, Bobo seems to get angry when folks lie about their age.

blackwater

Awards
Wow, your father is still alive? He's gotta be over a 100 at this point with you being 82 and all. :toofunny:

Word to the wise, IIRC, Bobo seems to get angry when folks lie about their age.

lol obviously i wasnt trying to decieve anyone by puttign that age, just selected it when i was registering because i was in a rush...:head:

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
hm... 5k is good... i live in a really nice part of cali myself and rent for a studio apartment here runs for about 800 to 1000 a month. gas is 2.60-2.80 a gallon. if i were you i would look into living in a house with roommates. renting a room in a house is usually about 4-600 a month. i think that 5k will hold you over long enough for you to find a job and pay rent without too much of a struggle. i love cali so much. i think its a great place if you can deal with the high costs.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
arizona, not TOO far from skiiing, beach, mexico, cali. its a great state with low cost of living, beautiful weather, low taxes, and a fraction of laws as you would see in the NE.

only downfall: illegals

Last edited:
Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
arizona, no TOO far from skiiing, beach, mexico, cali.

only downfall: illegals
i am thinking of moving to arizona or nevada when i really settle in life. california is great because it is so much fun, the weather is almost perfect, but for settling i might leave....

pioneer....i think we all have the same "illegals" on this part of the country...lol

blackwater

Awards
i wont have a car in cali, so im thinking my only expenses will be rent/food/and whatever I do with my free time. I will be going to school also part time/full time not sure yet...

Is there anything i shohuld setup as far as financial things, **** liek that? idk?

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
u wont have a car? a car is alittle handy at times

...no... u shouldnt have to worry about too many things. find a nice job to where you only have to work 2 or 3 days a week and you should have plenty of time for school. i only work two days a week and bring in about $900. my parents also pay for my school. im very lucky.look into waitering at a nice restaurant. tips are amazing in nice restaurants.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
i am thinking of moving to arizona or nevada when i really settle in life. california is great because it is so much fun, the weather is almost perfect, but for settling i might leave....

pioneer....i think we all have the same "illegals" on this part of the country...lol
good point.

blackwater

Awards
u wont have a car? a car is alittle handy at times

...no... u shouldnt have to worry about too many things. find a nice job to where you only have to work 2 or 3 days a week and you should have plenty of time for school. i only work two days a week and bring in about $900. my parents also pay for my school. im very lucky.look into waitering at a nice restaurant. tips are amazing in nice restaurants.
i see a car as just another thing to worry about, plus insurance costs to boot. $900 is a great amount to be making, and even though ive had extensive job experience in alot of jobs, im not sure if i could hack being a waiter. But then again you never know til you try.:duel:

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
im not sure if i could hack being a waiter.
being a "server" kinda sucks...people think that you are their personal servant for the next hour. some people are absolutely fantastic and some are just unbelievable.... its not a "dream job"...lol. its just one of the few jobs where you can have no degree and still make a decent amount of money, work 6 hour days and get paid that same day in cash everyday. its almost the perfect "student" job.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
to me, the car is worth the insurance hassle...but thats just me and im kind of a lazy bum :)

blackwater

Awards
being a "server" kinda sucks...people think that you are their personal servant for the next hour. some people are absolutely fantastic and some are just unbelievable.... its not a "dream job"...lol. its just one of the few jobs where you can have no degree and still make a decent amount of money, work 6 hour days and get paid that same day in cash everyday. its almost the perfect "student" job.

lol understood. Before leaving for college i worked at a pizza place delivering pizza, i mean **** i coulda been pulling 50k/year if i stayed and worked full time lol

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
public trasportation in california is Very good
unlike colorado where I live now. here its laughable.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I went to school at UCSB, and the cost of living around there is pretty ridiculous. Right now in Isla Vista (the college town connected to the campus), the average rent is 600/month to share a room plus around 150-200 per month for utils, cable, etc. (shared between the whole house). I personally didn't like it there much and moved out as soon as I got done with school, but the weather there sure is nice. :)

ManBeast

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I moved from Ohio to Colorado a few years ago and the move alone cost a bundle between gas, food, hotel, and then deposits for apartment and utilities. If the army hadn't paid to pack and move our ****, I never would have made it. They did eventually give us hella cash for our move, but if we didn't have money saved initially, we would have been screwed. So, like the others are saying, save some cash.

Also, get registered to vote in Cali right NOW. You can do it online and since you already have friends living there, you can use that as your address. This simple thing will get you an early jump on your way to being a state resident and save your dad tons on tuition.

blackwater

Awards
I moved from Ohio to Colorado a few years ago and the move alone cost a bundle between gas, food, hotel, and then deposits for apartment and utilities. If the army hadn't paid to pack and move our ****, I never would have made it. They did eventually give us hella cash for our move, but if we didn't have money saved initially, we would have been screwed. So, like the others are saying, save some cash.

Also, get registered to vote in Cali right NOW. You can do it online and since you already have friends living there, you can use that as your address. This simple thing will get you an early jump on your way to being a state resident and save your dad tons on tuition.

i cant vote, im not a citizen