Awards
  • Established
I have crossed over! Just ordered::woohoo:

DFI LanParty UT nF4-D
A64 3200+ (San Diego)
XFX 7800GT

Let the party begin!:clap2:

tattoopierced1

you'll be happy with the AMD...just as good and most of the time better than Intel's and saved you some $$ too.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Niiiicee...

I've used AMD almost exclusively since 1993.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
my next comp will be personally built by me and will include AMD instead of intel.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
nice choice - AMD all the way - why didnt' you spring for the 3800+ dual core for $130 more. either way with a DFI you can overclock pretty high - nice vid card as well - alone you will be impressed but in SLI - nothing like it - if your a heavy gamer.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Needed the New Vid card, R9800Pro won`t run Quake4 or F.E.A.R. above 800x600 with eye candy.. So I went ahead and took the plunge from longtime Intel/3DFX then ATI to AMD/Nvidia.

Kids will be happy... they get my handme down system.

Mommy(wife) says she wants a new vaccum "cause you got a computer!"... the joys of marital bliss:whip:

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
AMD is where it's at! Excellent choice, EE :thumbsup:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
They (Opterons) blow Xeons away when it comes to server performance.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
AMD is the way! :thumbsup:

Not to offend, but if I don't run a Mac, I run an AMD-based PC..

jdubz

Awards
AMD is the only thing I have in all the machines I build. (I've only ever encoutered one problem, my 64 bit 3400 crapped out on me but the customer service was fast)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established

DFI LanParty UT nF4-D
A64 3200+ (San Diego)
XFX 7800GT

You'lll be pleased :D

Make sure you install win xp x64 (assuming you use windows). Makes a world of difference being able to utilize the 64 bit hardware...

edit: Oh, and keep us updatd on how you like that DFI Mobo... :D

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
In Transit -On Time

Scheduled Delivery:
Oct 28, 2005
Shipped to:
PHILADELPHIA, PA, US
Shipped or Billed on:
Oct 27, 2005:box:

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Core is Venice not San Diego... excuse my INTEL-igence:icon_lol:

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Up and running!!!! All I can say is

SSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEETTTT

primal1

Awards
  • Established

DFI LanParty UT nF4-D
A64 3200+ (San Diego)
XFX 7800GT

i'm saving up for my new system. trying to limp by on my current one until then. do you have your old one. i need a stick of pc133 512. if anybody has some let me know.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
i'm saving up for my new system. trying to limp by on my current one until then. do you have your old one. i need a stick of pc133 512. if anybody has some let me know.
Kids get the old P4. Sell their older P4 in parts and break even:dance:

I have 2 comps in the basement that people didn`t want fixed... I will look but doub t if they have 512meg chips.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
This DFI is one BadazzBeast board... I say that and haven`t even finished burning it in.

Very finicky about power.. needs at least a 480w PS with PCI-E conx. Don`t listen to anyone that says it will work with a 20pin atx conx... it need a 24 pin to be stable. Trust me on this:aargh: And plug in all 4 power conx.

Memmory must be balanced in the RIGHT slots... Orange not yellow for a single pair.

And screw the Nvidia SW IDE drivers. Wasted an hour figuring out they were locking me up!(usb mouse conflict)

Anyhow, Yo Intel got somethin` for ya

:FUfinger:

P.S. J/K Intel been "Bery,bery goood to me!"

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
AMD roxorz d00d its da l33t3st thang out.

I've always wanted to write s**t like that. :D

I first went to them with the original Athlon. It's been good. And F.E.A.R. is quite a game, too. But the hardware you need to run it!! You've got it man.

Seriously, any geeks out there who don't read the inquirer? http://www.theinquirer.net

They have all the best tech news. Love that site.

Now if only AMD stock could actually go up for a good run...

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Only have 1-64meg PC100 and 2-34meg PC66

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
AMD roxorz d00d its da l33t3st thang out.

I've always wanted to write s**t like that. :D

I first went to them with the original Athlon. It's been good. And F.E.A.R. is quite a game, too. But the hardware you need to run it!! You've got it man.

Seriously, any geeks out there who don't read the inquirer? http://www.theinquirer.net

They have all the best tech news. Love that site.

Now if only AMD stock could actually go up for a good run...
:head:

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
I've got a Newcastle A64 3200+ that I thoroughly enjoy. Its got a 9800XT-256 card too. Ran Farcry and Doom3 in full detail

I ran FEAR demo and wasnt able to run in full detail, much to my dismay.... :( I dunno if I should upgrade to a better CPU, or just get a better video card

Speaking of FEAR... that demo scared the **** out of me. I had the lights off and sound up and that little girl at the ladder freaked me out. I jumped and said "aaahhhhhh!!!" Doom 3 made me jump a couple times, but nothing was THAT creepy.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Get the video card... CPU's are overrated :D

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I've got a Newcastle A64 3200+ that I thoroughly enjoy. Its got a 9800XT-256 card too. Ran Farcry and Doom3 in full detail

I ran FEAR demo and wasnt able to run in full detail, much to my dismay.... :( I dunno if I should upgrade to a better CPU, or just get a better video card

Speaking of FEAR... that demo scared the **** out of me. I had the lights off and sound up and that little girl at the ladder freaked me out. I jumped and said "aaahhhhhh!!!" Doom 3 made me jump a couple times, but nothing was THAT creepy.
Video card! I went from a 9800pro and 3DMark05 came up over 4000 pts at stock.

Yea I know it`s a great game! She remind me of the little girl in The Ring.

FWIW.. Running at 2.4 but my Corsair PC4400(Hynix) won`t run above 227 1:1... this ran 277 1:1 on my Intel rig:rasp: Gonna pull the PC3200LL(Windbond BH5) out of the kids box and see if it will do better.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established

FWIW.. Running at 2.4 but my Corsair PC4400(Hynix) won`t run above 227 1:1... this ran 277 1:1 on my Intel rig:rasp: Gonna pull the PC3200LL(Windbond BH5) out of the kids box and see if it will do better.
Whats a good card out there these days? I stopped keeping up with it when I got my XT... it ran everything so fast (still 99% of everything these days) that I figured I'd never upgrade until I was probably out of school and working on a masters or something. Before I decided to go Army of course.

The Paper Route

The Paper Route

Awards

Damn you realy know your stuff what does all this mean. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/images/smilies/wtf.gif :wtf:

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Damn you realy know your stuff what does all this mean. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/images/smilies/wtf.gif :wtf:
He's referring to the memory settings... you can set the settings on the motherboard to higher speeds for the memory so long as the memory is of good enough quality to run at those settings. The better motherboards have memory configuration options that let you tweak like that. Makes a pretty sizable difference when stretching the computer to the max (like in FEAR or Quake4)

Sort of like overclocking your CPU, he's just sort of overclocking the memory. Of course there is memory out there designed to run at obscene settings.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
To any of you Intel guys out there... I am finding out that OCing an A64 is nothing like a P4. Throw most of what you know out the window... CPU MHZ is the king of the hill. Not memory speed or timings or running Sync or Async... just raw MHZ.

AMD boys already know what I mean!

FYI: 2.7Ghz 1.45v 42*c at full load:rofl:

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm building a new computer, and unfortunately I'm going to have to go with Intel so I can get SLI working with my dual Video Cards. Lets hope for the best

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
To any of you Intel guys out there... I am finding out that OCing an A64 is nothing like a P4. Throw most of what you know out the window... CPU MHZ is the king of the hill. Not memory speed or timings or running Sync or Async... just raw MHZ.

AMD boys already know what I mean!

FYI: 2.7Ghz 1.45v 42*c at full load:rofl:
DAAAAAAAAM Who needs SLI when you got that? ROFL

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I like the temps the most.
Compare:

Intel P4 3.0e - OC 4.1

Idle-45*c
Full load-56*c

AMD64 3200+(2.0Ghz) - OC 2.7

Idle-34*c
Full load-42*

Same heatsink and fan (XP90-Panaflo 92mm) same case setup.
By the way the board I bought can be SLI enabled with a pencil :head:

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Final numbers:

3200+ OCed to 2.6Ghz at 1.45v
PC3200LL at DDR433 2.7v 2-3-2-5 (5/6 memory divider)

29*c at idle
44*c at 99.6% CPU utilization

It sucks that whom ever designed the nVidia 7800GT has the GPU fan blowing right into the MB chipset.
Because of this it will run at the GPU temp 46*c. Ordered a AC NV5rev3 replacement heatsink for the video card. But for $300+ why should you have to spend another $30 to fix it.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Not all the mobos have the chipset at the same place. Nice OC, BTW. Which mobo are you using?

Doggzj, why on earth do you need intel to have SLI? There's probably more SLI systems with AMD in them than intel... This is interesting...

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Not all the mobos have the chipset at the same place. Nice OC, BTW. Which mobo are you using?

Doggzj, why on earth do you need intel to have SLI? There's probably more SLI systems with AMD in them than intel... This is interesting...
Dude who did you piss off :D Your the first negative rep I`ve seen and not by a little!

DFI LANPART nF4 Ultra-D (in the first post) Chipset is the one with the fan on top no matter where it is.

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have an athlon 3000 and had AMD for the aslt 4 years

tell me though why 64 bit?

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
64 bit is for future products, the 64 bit XP is about it for now and even that is not stable - most companies aren't writing 64bit drivers and no direct x9 yet. Vista will have a 64 bit copy as well but it's gogin to be another year or so before you start seeing more companies invest more money to re-write into 64bit. XP64 runs amazing on a 64bit chip but all the programs are still 32 so there is no real point just yet. Play with a Mac and you'll see why 64 bit is amazing.

3700+ San diego - 3.3MHZ - 50C - stock fan :) - max stable OC.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
64 bit is for future products, the 64 bit XP is about it for now and even that is not stable - most companies aren't writing 64bit drivers and no direct x9 yet. Vista will have a 64 bit copy as well but it's gogin to be another year or so before you start seeing more companies invest more money to re-write into 64bit. XP64 runs amazing on a 64bit chip but all the programs are still 32 so there is no real point just yet. Play with a Mac and you'll see why 64 bit is amazing.

3700+ San diego - 3.3MHZ - 50C - stock fan :) - max stable OC.
300 on a 11x multiplier at what voltage? Is it the stock fan with the heat pipes? Is the temp at idle? Do have a CPUz certified screen shot?

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
The SD is a hot chip. I run a bunch of SMP Opteron and FX boxes and won't go back to Intel.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
300 on a 11x multiplier at what voltage? Is it the stock fan with the heat pipes? Is the temp at idle? Do have a CPUz certified screen shot?

1.65 volts - asus deluxe MB - The beauty of AMD is you get to adjust CPU MHZ unlike an intel which is based off the 16X multiplier. This brings out a superior advantage to Intel - on your DFI you shoudl be able to get a stable 3.00 with some more tweaks (mine took me about 2 months to figure it out properly) - it's still the stock heatsink and fan that came with the chip. Iam reading the 3.3 on the dos boot up - it's a idle 3.3 - I'll get a browser up make it to a few pages then eventually the temp is about 65C then will crash so not "really" stable.

this is what's needed to really OC.
http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9290GT

-Optional-

Awards

Whats the voltage your running on the Corsair? Also try running OCZ DDR booster, I hear great things about it. I also assume your running dual channel, if not you should be...

-O-

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
AMD64 processors are not bandwidth starved. Low latencies give better performance compared to higher bandwidth (Intel boxes are the opposite).

So expensive high bandwidth ram modules are mostly a waste of money. Spend wisely on cas2 pc3200 unless you have enough to spring for pc4800 or better.

This is also the reason why the single channel 754 performs very competitively with the 939 models despite being handicapped with only 1/2 the memory bandwidth.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
He's talking about his memory not handling an overclock.

BTW, I concur AMD is kickass!! I have an XP2600+ now, Im upgrading to an A64X2 next year. My Pentium4 2.8HT at work flies too. Both companies make good CPU's, but AMD always wins on price/performance.

BV

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
1.65 volts - asus deluxe MB - The beauty of AMD is you get to adjust CPU MHZ unlike an intel which is based off the 16X multiplier. This brings out a superior advantage to Intel - on your DFI you shoudl be able to get a stable 3.00 with some more tweaks (mine took me about 2 months to figure it out properly) - it's still the stock heatsink and fan that came with the chip. Iam reading the 3.3 on the dos boot up - it's a idle 3.3 - I'll get a browser up make it to a few pages then eventually the temp is about 65C then will crash so not "really" stable.

this is what's needed to really OC.
http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9290GT
On AMD you can adjust the multiplier lower to reach a higher bus on Intel the multi is locked and you can only raise the FSB. Have you tried a 10x multi at 300?

Buy the lower multi Intels they will clock to the same speed of the highest multi or better. But the thermal throttling sucks!

It can do 300 at a 9x multi but not much diff. than the 2.65 I am at now with lower voltage.

Going to order an Opti148 today:aargh: (I wish nobody has the one I want)
Hoping to find a CABNE:dance:

Last edited:
EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Whats the voltage your running on the Corsair? Also try running OCZ DDR booster, I hear great things about it. I also assume your running dual channel, if not you should be...

-O-
PC4400 was 2.8v. 2.9v gave me windows protection error.

PC3200LL is at 2.7 more voltage doesn`t help. Topped out at the moment at DDR440(220 BUS) 5/6
DIVIDER.

No need for a booster this board has a 4v jumper:smite: Just make sure it`s kept cool when used.

I am going to try the 4400 again after finding the best bios(6/23-2) for Corsair on my board.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
He's talking about his memory not handling an overclock.

BTW, I concur AMD is kickass!! I have an XP2600+ now, Im upgrading to an A64X2 next year. My Pentium4 2.8HT at work flies too. Both companies make good CPU's, but AMD always wins on price/performance.

BV
The only thing my P4 does better iS DVD encoding... so I will just encode on the kids box and game on this BEAST!