Deleting social media = better life in general?

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think the constant need for gratification from strangers is crippling the developed world at an alarmingly increasing rate every day. It allows the viral spread of the worst garbage imaginable in mere minutes. Celebrities are being hailed as authority figures. Social interaction at social events is becoming rare. I honestly think its causing mass mental disorder among young people- anxiety, depression, body image issues, etc. Has anyone here deleted their social media accounts and noticed any sort of improvement from it? (keeping mine with my 41 contacts that don't participate in garbage habits) I just really think it's played a huge role in breaking down society and could rant forever about it.

Haveacupp

Haveacupp

Awards
I deleted all of my social media accts several months ago and I can tell you that my quality of life has improved drastically...
The main thing for me was all the negativity. Since then I have been much happier and been able to focus on things that really matter.

TinyNutzzz

TinyNutzzz

Awards
I think the constant need for gratification from strangers is crippling the developed world at an alarmingly increasing rate every day. It allows the viral spread of the worst garbage imaginable in mere minutes. Celebrities are being hailed as authority figures. Social interaction at social events is becoming rare. I honestly think its causing mass mental disorder among young people- anxiety, depression, body image issues, etc. Has anyone here deleted their social media accounts and noticed any sort of improvement from it? (keeping mine with my 41 contacts that don't participate in garbage habits) I just really think it's played a huge role in breaking down society and could rant forever about it.
I agree 1,000,000% Bro. Our youth is hooked like crack on social media. My daughter's have more friends on FB then I do. I have 37 friends on th and I'm completely ok with that. I'm a firm believer that if you can't socialize in person you're pretty much ****ed as far as a real life or life decision goes! My children spend atleast 1 hour every day watching YouTube videos of other children opening toys,playing video games,and doing anything that costs a lot of money. Now we aren't poor by any means but playing along these lines I've completely parented wrong and I look and feel like the Piece Of **** Dad! Social media sets so many false and unrealistic goals,expectation,life decisions,it starts or causes so much unneeded drama and fights,it blows **** way outta proportion and full of lies in seconds,not to mention it's a breeding ground for bullies and harassment towards children especially girls! My 8yr old is already self conscience of her body, due to ignorant little ****s and their keyboard warrior fingers. **** I can go on for hours Brother. Needless to say I Believe Social Media is the Devil and it will cripple the American Infrastructure Socially and Economically in the years to come!!!

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love the phone zombies at planet fitness rip off a set and then tilt their head down for 5 min. Get off the machine/station if you aint here to lift.

Haveacupp

Haveacupp

Awards
Same here with my kids. I have a 15 y/o daughter who spends so much time on social media and has such a poor self image that she is now asking to see a therapist to deal with her stress and anxiety. Then I have two boys in middle school who watch you tube videos of other people playing video games and I am like wtf are you doing? How is this entertaining to you? I feel like pos parent because I let them do it. Sometimes it is easier because it keeps them outta my hair and they are quiet for a while. It is deeply disturbing and I pray for our future.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This app is the closest thing to social media I have. Never had a snap chat or Instagram and I deleted face book almost 2 years ago. There pointless to me, I could give 2 turtle ****s less what everyone else is doing

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was just thinking about all of this yesterday. I'm on fb to help my wife with her business but I'm so ready to give it up. I also listen to a lot of talk radio.. Nothing but negativity everywhere.. Yesterday, I listened to music instead of fox news or even ESPN radio. Much better mood.. I also stayed off of fb..
As for my kids, they're 10 & 7, so no fb accounts yet. But they do watch a ton of YouTube (supervised), and my boy also watches other people play video games on there.. Lol, WHY??

Yes, social media is killing society...

patrick25

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Totally agree with op I would like my wife to get off of Facebook I want her soul back.

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I agree 1,000,000% Bro. Our youth is hooked like crack on social media. My daughter's have more friends on FB then I do. I have 37 friends on th and I'm completely ok with that. I'm a firm believer that if you can't socialize in person you're pretty much ****ed as far as a real life or life decision goes! My children spend atleast 1 hour every day watching YouTube videos of other children opening toys,playing video games,and doing anything that costs a lot of money. Now we aren't poor by any means but playing along these lines I've completely parented wrong and I look and feel like the Piece Of **** Dad! Social media sets so many false and unrealistic goals,expectation,life decisions,it starts or causes so much unneeded drama and fights,it blows **** way outta proportion and full of lies in seconds,not to mention it's a breeding ground for bullies and harassment towards children especially girls! My 8yr old is already self conscience of her body, due to ignorant little ****s and their keyboard warrior fingers. **** I can go on for hours Brother. Needless to say I Believe Social Media is the Devil and it will cripple the American Infrastructure Socially and Economically in the years to come!!!
Same here with my kids. I have a 15 y/o daughter who spends so much time on social media and has such a poor self image that she is now asking to see a therapist to deal with her stress and anxiety. Then I have two boys in middle school who watch you tube videos of other people playing video games and I am like wtf are you doing? How is this entertaining to you? I feel like pos parent because I let them do it. Sometimes it is easier because it keeps them outta my hair and they are quiet for a while. It is deeply disturbing and I pray for our future.
Damn guys. I don't have kids, but I've thought a lot about how I'd handle situations like these. I think the world has to there, kids bully kids who don't bend to these social norms, and parents bully the parents of of these kids as well. I know the word "bullying" is thrown around a lot lately, often being misused or even as a way of bullying someone in itself. It seems like power has been effectively taken away from parents who have sound values. The chances of me having children aren't as high as your average guy, and it kills me that if I'm ever blessed enough to have kids of my own, they'll be brought into a world of awful peers, and I'll have some kind of parenting police breathing down my neck.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I remember 20 years ago when I got the internet and my school grades took a dive.

I definitely go without it, when import or on holidays.

Otherwise I do waste way too much time scrolling.

It's definitely bad.

blongo804

blongo804

Awards
  • Established
Deleted my FB account a few months ago and haven’t missed it for a second. I still have Instagram and do use YouTube (really only during downtime at work), but I no longer feel like a zombie reading, endlessly scrolling through all the negativity on FB. Hoping my fiancé hops on the deleted FB ship with me soon..

Oh and when I have kids, they will be growing up social media free. I agree that social media is a cancer of all forms.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i was kicked off of fb because alan aragon didn't like what I had to say....but it's been great, I dont' have to see ppl's political views, or their kids or animals.....I'm still on IG but I hardly follow anyone I know, it's mostly for companies who post their sales so I can stay up to date if theres anything on sale that I want

00A

00A

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
People forgot about Tinder, cant say remove social media while allowing Tinder - looking for “stuff” on tinder.. (message not directed at anyone)

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
People forgot about Tinder, cant say remove social media while allowing Tinder - looking for “stuff” on tinder.. (message not directed at anyone)
I've never been on tinder or a majority of the other things people use these days. I have no interest in them because I've seen it only lower the quality of the content people build lives around.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've never had a FB account, but I do use IG and Imgur. I don't want to read intimate details about people and have no interest in posting mine, but I do like memes. :)

I have two young daughters and we are trying to show them you don't need to be buried into your phone and pad all the time. It's already a struggle because at 10, my daughters friends always want to Facetime, text, etc.. We allow it 30 min in front of us and even then hear about "all their friends" that get to use their tabs and phones for hours. Well, sorry, you don't live there you live here.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Just try to delete FB.

ITS ALWAYS THERE. SHOWING ALL THE DUMB **** YOU POSTED OVER THE YEARS.

AHAHAHA!!!!.

For real, I left FB 5 years ago, but wanted to get in touch with old friends and family.

You don't have to post anything...

I have an Instagram, but its just to inspire people and show my progress and they show me there's.

But yes.

SOCIAL MEDIA IS A PARASITE THAT IS RUINING OUR GENERATION.

PEOPLE NEED TO GTF OFF THERE AND ENJOY ALL THE REAL LIFE THEY'RE MISSING

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I deleted my Facebook account last week. Can't stand all the negativity, noise, and idiocy that's found on there.

I only use Instagram now, because I love to follow my favorite tattoo artists and fitness friends/models.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
I deleted my Facebook account last week. Can't stand all the negativity, noise, and idiocy that's found on there.

I only use Instagram now, because I love to follow my favorite tattoo artists and fitness friends/models.
You think you deleted it...

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Well I disabled it and deleted the app off my phone. I want to be able to access my photo albums on there in the future.
You can never delete it. Scary. I tried to. Thought I did. There it was. 5 years later

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can never delete it. Scary. I tried to. Thought I did. There it was. 5 years later
What are you scared about?

Btw I’ve had multiple profiles and have successfully deleted in the past, fwiw. Try again

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Deleted mine a year ago and my life has taken off. Better/deeper relationships with my family/friends, better outlook on life, extremely more productive, etc. if you feel like you can’t go without it , thats the problem ;)

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
And I could go on a rant about how mainstream media is extremely precise and directed form of mind control on a scientific/biologic levels. If anyone wants a 30 page interview from someone that was in an presidential administration. dm me and i can Email it. Scary ****. Also, if you haven’t researched EMF’s that’s also another huge physical problem with electronics/media. Cheers

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
More time for pron. I mean lifting.

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I myself am guilty of watching YouTube gaming. I am into gaming in general and watch people play games that I myself am interested in playing or currently play. I do it to figure out if I want to invest $60 into a part this hobby. Often times I do it look for helpful hints or interesting ways of playing the game. There are also certain games that players can turn into the equivalent of TV shows with certain gameplay styles and editing.

I compare it to television for younger generations but you get to pick specific content to watch any time with limited ads.

I however realize that this isn't something to do in social events and isn't a legit hobby of its own. I think the problem comes when the questions "when and where" are unclear.

Power-Lift

Power-Lift

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Social media sucks, I have a FB account w/ no friends, just to follow bands or Supp / gear sites.
I also used to listen to sports talk radio, all political whining now and intertwined. Quit watching NFL, etc.
Drive to work is now audio books and heavy metal CD's. (Maiden, Motorhead, etc).
(No longer tough guys, just whining pussies).

MY favorite sport (NHL) is still intact,and not political, so I can enjoy my Boston Bruins fanaticism still!

Feels like the old days:) SM is "The Ghey" and Im so glad to be away from it. (Except for a few forums like this one)..

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I myself am guilty of watching YouTube gaming. I am into gaming in general and watch people play games that I myself am interested in playing or currently play. I do it to figure out if I want to invest $60 into a part this hobby. Often times I do it look for helpful hints or interesting ways of playing the game. There are also certain games that players can turn into the equivalent of TV shows with certain gameplay styles and editing.

I compare it to television for younger generations but you get to pick specific content to watch any time with limited ads.

I however realize that this isn't something to do in social events and isn't a legit hobby of its own. I think the problem comes when the questions "when and where" are unclear.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Facebook has officially become worse than MySpace Before I decided to leave, I caught myself constantly trolling all the whining, negative people on there, which was when I decided it was enough and time to go.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m current news: Facebook continues to go down the tubes and Zuckerberg is awol

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m current news: Facebook continues to go down the tubes and Zuckerberg is awol
Yeah I had something about that pop up in my newsfeed on my phone. It will turn into a Myspace clone and a new giant will emerge, only to repeat the cycle. It's what they do...