If you had to pick a Corvette C5 OR Corvette C6 What will it be?

Changing

Banned
Awards
Corvette fan here just want others opinions!

C5 Corvette

C6 Corvette

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
That's a wierd question. Why would one want the C5 over the C6? I'd much rather have the C6. Built better, faster, much better interior, and in my opinion, better looks...

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
That's a wierd question. Why would one want the C5 over the C6? I'd much rather have the C6. Built better, faster, much better interior, and in my opinion, better looks...
The fixed headlights are (I believe) a first in corvette history. The question is actually asked alot, believe it or not, because there is such a historical following of vettes. Alot of the older crowd who grew up in the 60s/70s (probably not people on this board) would love to crucify the c6's designers.

Personally, being only 20, I agree with you, as I had only the C4/5/6 lineage during my time.

Methyl1

Awards
Actually , the ZO6 is still faster and lighter than the heavier C6. The LS6 on the ZO6 still dynoes higher as well :) Id take a ZO6 anyday over the C6. Plus it looks better :)

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
The first model Corvette had fixed headlights.

The C5 Z06 is only SLIGHTLY faster than the regular C6. And the C6 Z06 is going to be faster than the C5 Z06.

The red Z06 above has an aftermarket hood and rims.

Methyl1

Awards
Plus, you can pick up a used 2003 ZO6 a helluva lot cheaper than a new C6 and put in a upgraded cam, headers, full stainless exhaust, underdrive pulley, ported heads and put down some mean numbers:)

BigSwede

Awards
Don't forget the requisite "PENIS" personalized-plate.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to put PSSYLIKR on mine but that wouldn't go over too well with the Wife's family at events. :p

TrainTilUDrop

Awards
Depends on what your going for. Obviously a c6 is an obvious winner as far as pretty much everything is concerned but if you are going for speed and want to save some cash, then go with an older Z06 and mod the heck out of it.

CrAzyOttER

Banned
Awards
my friend in high school had a plate that said"H82LOSE" on his 97`lt1 z-28... too bad for him my 00` lS1 SS didnt like losing either. C6 ZO6 is a god amongest cars. go to chevy.com and see how much better the new one is.C5s are sick but you cant buy in a parts catolog what the new ZO6 has.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
The new Z06 is going to be a Viper eater.. The C6 stock (and old Z06) come real close too..

If you REALLY want to save a few bucks, go for an early-mid 90s ZR1 and modify THAT! :)

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
How are you going to save money by buying a car with a one-off motor? A ZR1 is so expensive to modify its not even funny...
I wasnt aware the LS6 Z06 was anywhere close to the current Viper... the Gen IIIs run about 122-124mph traps right? Last I saw, stock Z06s barely break 116-118... thats a BIG difference

I'd pick a C6 over a C5 in a heartbeat... sure the Z06 is slightly faster... but you start off with more cubes and better engine management in the LS2... cam upgrades on the LS2 are supposedly pushing well over 450whp with plenty of drivability

Course you could buy a Supra, put on an exhaust, intake, boost cut eliminator, grab a boost controller and make around 430whp and do the mods yourself within a few hours :)

If I spend THAT much money on a car, it will be a decently fast car that would be awesome to pimp and look at... Right now, my sights are set on a earlier model NSX... look pretty tough with a nice set of HREs or Racing Harts :D

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Chevrolet says the upcoming 2006 Z06 edition will be the fastest Corvette ever. The new 505-hp Z06 will run from 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds, Chevrolet promises. The Z06 gets its extra power from a 7.0-liter V-8 engine and is helped to its faster speeds by lightweight construction: the 3132-lb Z06 has a body built with aluminum, titanium, and magnesium. The Z06 goes on sale in the fall priced from $65,800, including destination charges.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I have a C5, and it's a lot of fun.
I looked at the C6. I like the fact that it's quieter, and quicker, but GM really screwed up on the nav and audio systems on the C6. The 12+1 CD player in my C5 is a big plus. Give me a 10 CD changer, and a good NAV system in the Corvette, and I'll buy it.
There isn't a lot of room for a case full of CDs, and if you get their Nav option, that's exactly what you'll need on a C6.
I love the DVD-audio / Nav system in my Acrua TL. If GM were to put the music/NAV system that my TL has, in the new C6, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

As a side note, I've had so many electrical problems with my C5, that the lack of quality in American cars, has really left a bad taste im my mouth. I really wish that Lexus, Infinity, or Acura, would put out a fast car with Japanese quality and Corvette performance for around 50k.

I really wish that the American manufacturers would get a clue and understand the importance of tight manufacturing tolerances. Jeez! The transmission on my '91 Camaro went out at 60k miles. The transmission on my '86 Oldsmobile went out at 78k. The transmission on my '92 Buick went out at 88k. Come on folks! A transmission should last 150k. Give me a car that lasts, or I'm buying Japanese.

P.S. Don't ever get magnesuim rims!

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
I have a C5, and it's a lot of fun.
I looked at the C6. I like the fact that it's quieter, and quicker, but GM really screwed up on the nav and audio systems on the C6. The 12+1 CD player in my C5 is a big plus. Give me a 10 CD changer, and a good NAV system in the Corvette, and I'll buy it.
There isn't a lot of room for a case full of CDs, and if you get their Nav option, that's exactly what you'll need on a C6.
I love the DVD-audio / Nav system in my Acrua TL. If GM were to put the music/NAV system that my TL has, in the new C6, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

As a side note, I've had so many electrical problems with my C5, that the lack of quality in American cars, has really left a bad taste im my mouth. I really wish that Lexus, Infinity, or Acura, would put out a fast car with Japanese quality and Corvette performance for around 50k.

I really wish that the American manufacturers would get a clue and understand the importance of tight manufacturing tolerances. Jeez! The transmission on my '91 Camaro went out at 60k miles. The transmission on my '86 Oldsmobile went out at 78k. The transmission on my '92 Buick went out at 88k. Come on folks! A transmission should last 150k. Give me a car that lasts, or I'm buying Japanese.

P.S. Don't ever get magnesuim rims!
Its called the IS460 :) the new IS already has two engine options over here... a 200hp 2.5L V6, (IS250), a 315?hp 3.5L V6 (IS350), and now the IS460... which should be around 390-400hp with a 4.6L V8...
as far as amenities, fit and finish, cool options.. there's not much out there that can compare in this particular class to the IS460... not BMW, not Mercedes either...

about $50-55k price tag more than likely... Lexus reliability and it will have great handling characteristics...

The new Z06 is pretty sweet... 505hp is pretty cool; but what gets me is people act like its soooo much horsepower and that you have to pay big bucks to make that kind of power...

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Wow, an IS460, huh? Where are you located? The interior of the new IS is pretty amazing - like every other Lexus.. After many years of owning only domestic vehicles, I made my first foreign purchase not long ago. I own a Cadillac and now a Lexus. The Lexus build quality is amazing. It's a real shame that Americans can't make a $50k car the way Japan can make a $30k car. I'll be replacing my Caddy with a Lexus LX470 soon.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well I got to drive a C6 for my wedding. They have a much better interior and a lot more torquey to. A very fun car to drive. IMO the C6's look much better too

Changing

Banned
Awards
My eyes was first set on the C5 My dream C5 would have been a Yellow fully loaded coupe vette.

Now that the C6 came out i decided to check it out at a local dealer and here or my impressions.

1. Nice ass interior i felt like i was in a porsche.
2. Exterior is looks good but the front took awhile to like.
3. i didn't get to test drive it but the car was quiet! revved it up a bit and sounded good.

but all of a sudden i have a chance to get a 2002 C5 10KMiles Fully loaded Vette for 22k! Now ive been thinking long and hard that this is a good deal and i wouldn't mind taking it but the c6 is still in my mind. I'm going to call the c5 guy up and see whats going on if it doesn't work out i'll be looking for a yellow c6.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
but all of a sudden i have a chance to get a 2002 C5 10KMiles Fully loaded Vette for 22k!
This would be great but man would I be careful. That sounds like the price of a 1997 with 50k on the clock...

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Wow, an IS460, huh? Where are you located? The interior of the new IS is pretty amazing - like every other Lexus.. After many years of owning only domestic vehicles, I made my first foreign purchase not long ago. I own a Cadillac and now a Lexus. The Lexus build quality is amazing. It's a real shame that Americans can't make a $50k car the way Japan can make a $30k car. I'll be replacing my Caddy with a Lexus LX470 soon.
Located in Mobile Alabama :D Wooo!!!! :hammer: :hammer:
Funny since there's nothin BUT big trucks and cars here from the US (technically from Canada, but hey its ok to blatantly lie to the buyers of Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler right?)

I own a 95 Lexus SC300 5-speed myself, even being a 10 year old car, its still of a superior build quality than all the new American vehicles today... pretty sad huh?

I want two cars during my progress in the Navy... during STA-21-funded schooling over in Daytona Beach, I want an NSX...
when I go officer and after Naval Aviation School (2 years) I want a 02-04 Porsche 911TT...

Changing

Banned
Awards
i think the only attention your going to get with an NSX is boys.

but non the less it's a nice car

porsche 911? the c6 can beat it.