Help Me Understand Canceling My Contract

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Gym contract for 12 months, starting balance was 561.67, have been paying 46.81 since 8/20/14. My contract ends 8/11/15. Here is the clause about cancellation, I can get a doctors note easy.

BUYERS RIGHT TO CANCEL
Member may cancel this Contract in accordance with any of the following numbered items: (1) if The Club moves or goes out of business and fails to provide alternative facilities within eight miles of The Club location; (2) by Member’s estate upon Member’s death; (3) if Member becomes disabled to an extent that Member is physically unable to use a substantial portion of The Club facilities for 30 or more consecutive days, as established by your physician (M.D. or D.O.) completing medical forms available at Health Club Software & Management Services under forms, upon the receipt of which The Club may require you to submit to an independent medical examination conducted by a physician acceptable to the member and The Club at clubs expense. In the event of cancellation under items 1,2, or 3, The Club shall be entitled to retain or collect that portion of the Contract price attributable to the proportionate value of the services or use of the facilities that Member has already received, and any difference will be refunded to Member within within 30 days of the date of cancellation.

Any payments due prior to cancellation taking effect will still be due and payable. To cancel for any of the above reasons, send or deliver a written notice by certified mail to the CLUB’S Designated Billing Company.

Bold are the most important parts I think. I don't understand if I have to pay off the remaining balance or what, I assumed I would but I am unsure what the contract is saying, I appreciate any help.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sounds like if you have a legit medical reason you can get it of it. If not you'll be stuck paying remainder