MOLAR ratio

grimek

Awards
I've heard here about MOLAR ratio's and want to check to see if I'm starting to get this.

MOLAR weight is the molecular weight (one mole is the number of carbon atoms in exactly 12 grams of carbon 12 isotope) or:

1 mole of carbon = 6.0221367E raised to 23rd power of carbon atoms
1 mole of bananas = 6.0221367E raised to 23rd power of bananas

...so a MOLAR ratio is the ratio of atomic masses of the two elements being mixed.

eg.

1:1 MOLAR ratio of NaOH:TP is

39.99707:344.493 or .116:1.

Is this right?

Last edited:

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
When you said molar, I thought you were talking about teeth. LOL! I don't know what you are talking about or what you are trying to figure out. Good luck though.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
yeah, looks correct bro :D

and yes it's boring! (j/k)

grimek

Awards
and yes it's boring! (j/k)
LOL. Thanks bro. I know you're right. I appreciate the help though.

Someone was helping me with another question and mentioned it. I didn't know what the hell MOLAR ratio's were (I thought teeth too) so I thought best I figure out what they are.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
lol just noticed your sig, I like it ;)

" 'alo, my name eez Aaahnold, you can call me Aaahnold"

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
so whats the recipe anyway?

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by grimek
I've heard here about MOLAR ratio's and want to check to see if I'm starting to get this.

MOLAR weight is the molecular weight (one mole is the number of carbon atoms in exactly 12 grams of carbon 12 isotope) or:

1 mole of carbon = 6.0221367E raised to 23rd power of carbon atoms
1 mole of bananas = 6.0221367E raised to 23rd power of bananas

...so a MOLAR ratio is the ratio of atomic masses of the two elements being mixed.
eg.

1:1 MOLAR ratio of NaOH:TP is

39.99707:344.493 or .116:1.

Is this right?
Sorry I'm just now getting around to helping out with this...you bros need to send me links via PM if you're not getting satisfaction.

First, one mol is 6.022 x 10^23 units.

As you have pointed out this could either be carbon atoms or bananas.  Where you somewhat get mixed up with terminology is by comparing atomic or formula mass to molar ratios.

Atomic mass is the gram measure of one mol of that atom.  For carbon, one mol is equal to exactly 12 grams.  Formula mass is the one mol equivalent in grams of the formula of interest (i.e. - the NaOH).  So, the formula mass of NaOH is indeed 40.  Yes, you can say 39.99707 g but I challenge you to find an analytical balance that will measure that outside the lab.

Although your assessment works for a 1:1 molar ratio it will be harder to figure if you have something other than whole number mols.

Chemo

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
BTW, for the NaOH:TP ratio it works out to be just above 2 grams of NaOH. It is added as a catalyst so getting it exactly on the numbers is not necessary.

Chemo

grimek

Awards
Hamper,

My recipe is basically just using the NaOH to remove the estradiol from the TP (end result is T base tho, not TP) in a Synovex experiment for my heffers. They are allergic to estradiol. lol

Marquis

Awards
My heffers are allergic to estradiol and they don't like things shot into their ears, but they don't so much mind shots.

So, let me see if I get this right:

Now, let's say I'm going to use sodium tert-butoxide to get rid of the evil estradiol (but not cleave the ester, as mentioned by Chemo).

C4H9ONa has a forumula weight of 96.11

TP has a weight of 344.493 (as mentioned above).

So that leaves me with a ratio of .279 : 1

Thus, at Chemo's recommended molar ratio of 10:1, that would mean I'd need about 55.8 grams of sodium tert-butoxide for 20 grams of TP.

Am I understanding all of this right, or am I way off?

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
If nobody answers this question PM me and I'll come back and give you a reply....

Chemo

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Marquis
My heffers are allergic to estradiol and they don't like things shot into their ears, but they don't so much mind shots.

So, let me see if I get this right:

Now, let's say I'm going to use sodium tert-butoxide to get rid of the evil estradiol (but not cleave the ester, as mentioned by Chemo).

C4H9ONa has a forumula weight of 96.11

TP has a weight of 344.493 (as mentioned above).

So that leaves me with a ratio of .279 : 1

Thus, at Chemo's recommended molar ratio of 10:1, that would mean I'd need about 55.8 grams of sodium tert-butoxide for 20 grams of TP.

Am I understanding all of this right, or am I way off?
  • 1 mol of tert-butoxide weighs 96.11 grams
  • 1 mol of estradiol weighs 272.39 grams
Since you will need a 10:1 molar ratio of sodium t-butoxide:estradiol you will need 961.1 grams for every 272.39 grams of estradiol.  This breaks down to 3.53:1 on a gram basis.  Simply stated, you will need ~3.5 grams of sodium tert-butoxide for every gram of estradiol you want to solubize.

As an example, if there are 2 grams of estradiol that would need to be solubized then the cooresponding amount of sodium tert-butoxide needed would be about 7 grams.

Chemo

Marquis

Awards
Oh, I see. Right theory, wrong chemical...

Thanks a bunch, Chemo!

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Hmm, could do some more homebrew then, although I'm thinking about using Dazed's kit. Not sure of where to get sodium t-butoxide?

Marquis

Awards
I've found a couple of places on the Web that have it for sale, though I have yet to purchase any. I can get you the links if you're interested, and it wasn't very expensive for the amounts necessary (thanks again to Chemo, without whom I'd have used over 8 times too much...). More expensive than say, NaOH, but only by a few bucks.