No gym for 2 weeks!! Keeping muscle?

1. Registered User

No gym for 2 weeks!! Keeping muscle?

Hi just a quick one, I've recently been in hospital for an operation and they strongly advise I stay off work and out of the gym for 2 weeks!!!

Any tips on keeping my muscle mass and size?
    Thanks

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.

Keep up your protein, vitamins and omegas. I been out the gym for 6 weeks and I kept alot of my muscle.

I have two herniated disk. The doctor said I can do cardio only
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MIGUEL1J View Post
    Keep up your protein, vitamins and omegas. I been out the gym for 6 weeks and I kept alot of my muscle.

This and if it were me I'd go low carb for the next couple weeks as well to help stay lookin lean
    •   

4. Registered User

Class! Nice1 lads!!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.

i would just eat enough. how much strength or size do you really think youll lose in 2-4 weeks? anything you lose will be pretty easy to get back. not like you broke your back and cant lift for 6-12 months or soemthin
  6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    i would just eat enough. how much strength or size do you really think youll lose in 2-4 weeks? anything you lose will be pretty easy to get back. not like you broke your back and cant lift for 6-12 months or soemthin
    Yea true it's not like I broke my back, but asking questions on when to work out would be the last thing on my mind if I did.
    I don't like when I miss the gym or exercise for 2 days, so just asking how to maintain as I've never been injured.
    But I guess your right, I will put it back on quick enough!
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

its only 2 weeks bro your not gonna lose much if any mass just keep your diet in check cut carbs down a bit play some video games and enjoy the break you might lose some strength but it'll be back before you know it
    The Swole Stoner
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    its only 2 weeks bro your not gonna lose much if any mass just keep your diet in check cut carbs down a bit play some video games and enjoy the break you might lose some strength but it'll be back before you know it
    This
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MIGUEL1J View Post

Which ones and where are they bulging out? I have two herniated, ruptured, dessicated discs (L4L5 and L5S1). Protruding to left causing sciatica. Docs and a physical therapist told me to keep lifting, just use low weight and perfect form and avoid anything that puts any load on spine like dead lifts or back squats or whatever. Did you get more than 1 opinion, or visit a sports doctor? You might still be able to lift and it may help you heal, then again I'm no doctor..good luck
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ponysteak View Post

Which ones and where are they bulging out? I have two herniated, ruptured, dessicated discs (L4L5 and L5S1). Protruding to left causing sciatica. Docs and a physical therapist told me to keep lifting, just use low weight and perfect form and avoid anything that puts any load on spine like dead lifts or back squats or whatever. Did you get more than 1 opinion, or visit a sports doctor? You might still be able to lift and it may help you heal, then again I'm no doctor..good luck
    I don't have the paper work in front of me but I remember they keep repeating lumbar vertebra 4 and thoracic vertebra 10. I got 3 doctors to look at it. How long after the injury? My docs want me to wait a min 6months
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

I never stopped lifting. Just adjusted how I lifted. I also use an inversion table with mckenzie method stretches. Maybe it's because of the thoracic vertebrae that they told you to wait. Mine are just lumbar and sacral.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by spebone View Post
    Hi just a quick one, I've recently been in hospital for an operation and they strongly advise I stay off work and out of the gym for 2 weeks!!!

Any tips on keeping my muscle mass and size?
    Thanks
    Eat a lot, ice/heat to help recovery, keep taking your supplemnts/AAS.. I went through the same thing a month or so back and didn't lose any muscle.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

Man, two weeks ain't nothin'. Your strength may drop a bit but you'll re-adjust in another couple weeks. No harm done. Just continue eating and rest up. It will probably do you some good. Enjoy the break.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Keep muscle mass..with no lifting??
    By mdtech123 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 06:27 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 10:27 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 12:24 AM
  4. Can't lift for weeks and want to preserve muscle
    By Pirate! in forum Supplements