No gym for 2 weeks!! Keeping muscle?

  1. Registered User
    spebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    31

    No gym for 2 weeks!! Keeping muscle?


    Hi just a quick one, I've recently been in hospital for an operation and they strongly advise I stay off work and out of the gym for 2 weeks!!!

    Any tips on keeping my muscle mass and size?
    Thanks

  2. Registered User
    MIGUEL1J's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    BROOKLYN
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    289408

    Keep up your protein, vitamins and omegas. I been out the gym for 6 weeks and I kept alot of my muscle.

    I have two herniated disk. The doctor said I can do cardio only
  3. Registered User
    mikeg313's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,310
    Rep Power
    460192

    Quote Originally Posted by MIGUEL1J View Post
    Keep up your protein, vitamins and omegas. I been out the gym for 6 weeks and I kept alot of my muscle.

    I have two herniated disk. The doctor said I can do cardio only
    This and if it were me I'd go low carb for the next couple weeks as well to help stay lookin lean
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    spebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    31

    Class! Nice1 lads!!
  5. Registered User
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,374
    Rep Power
    465989

    i would just eat enough. how much strength or size do you really think youll lose in 2-4 weeks? anything you lose will be pretty easy to get back. not like you broke your back and cant lift for 6-12 months or soemthin
  6. Registered User
    spebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    31

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    i would just eat enough. how much strength or size do you really think youll lose in 2-4 weeks? anything you lose will be pretty easy to get back. not like you broke your back and cant lift for 6-12 months or soemthin
    Yea true it's not like I broke my back, but asking questions on when to work out would be the last thing on my mind if I did.
    I don't like when I miss the gym or exercise for 2 days, so just asking how to maintain as I've never been injured.
    But I guess your right, I will put it back on quick enough!
  7. Registered User
    Oscar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    823
    Rep Power
    195164

    its only 2 weeks bro your not gonna lose much if any mass just keep your diet in check cut carbs down a bit play some video games and enjoy the break you might lose some strength but it'll be back before you know it
    The Swole Stoner
  8. Registered User
    rugger48's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,060
    Rep Power
    45135

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    its only 2 weeks bro your not gonna lose much if any mass just keep your diet in check cut carbs down a bit play some video games and enjoy the break you might lose some strength but it'll be back before you know it
    This
  9. Registered User
    ponysteak's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by MIGUEL1J View Post
    Keep up your protein, vitamins and omegas. I been out the gym for 6 weeks and I kept alot of my muscle.

    I have two herniated disk. The doctor said I can do cardio only
    Which ones and where are they bulging out? I have two herniated, ruptured, dessicated discs (L4L5 and L5S1). Protruding to left causing sciatica. Docs and a physical therapist told me to keep lifting, just use low weight and perfect form and avoid anything that puts any load on spine like dead lifts or back squats or whatever. Did you get more than 1 opinion, or visit a sports doctor? You might still be able to lift and it may help you heal, then again I'm no doctor..good luck
  10. Registered User
    MIGUEL1J's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    BROOKLYN
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    289408

    Quote Originally Posted by ponysteak View Post

    Which ones and where are they bulging out? I have two herniated, ruptured, dessicated discs (L4L5 and L5S1). Protruding to left causing sciatica. Docs and a physical therapist told me to keep lifting, just use low weight and perfect form and avoid anything that puts any load on spine like dead lifts or back squats or whatever. Did you get more than 1 opinion, or visit a sports doctor? You might still be able to lift and it may help you heal, then again I'm no doctor..good luck
    I don't have the paper work in front of me but I remember they keep repeating lumbar vertebra 4 and thoracic vertebra 10. I got 3 doctors to look at it. How long after the injury? My docs want me to wait a min 6months
  11. Registered User
    ponysteak's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    I never stopped lifting. Just adjusted how I lifted. I also use an inversion table with mckenzie method stretches. Maybe it's because of the thoracic vertebrae that they told you to wait. Mine are just lumbar and sacral.
  12. Registered User
    tcslick's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    860
    Rep Power
    166795

    Quote Originally Posted by spebone View Post
    Hi just a quick one, I've recently been in hospital for an operation and they strongly advise I stay off work and out of the gym for 2 weeks!!!

    Any tips on keeping my muscle mass and size?
    Thanks
    Eat a lot, ice/heat to help recovery, keep taking your supplemnts/AAS.. I went through the same thing a month or so back and didn't lose any muscle.
  13. Registered User
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Rep Power
    74316

    Man, two weeks ain't nothin'. Your strength may drop a bit but you'll re-adjust in another couple weeks. No harm done. Just continue eating and rest up. It will probably do you some good. Enjoy the break.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Keep muscle mass..with no lifting??
    By mdtech123 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 06:27 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 10:27 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 12:24 AM
  4. Can't lift for weeks and want to preserve muscle
    By Pirate! in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 04:38 PM
  5. Keeping muscle while away from the gym
    By SummusMentis in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 12:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in