No gym for 2 weeks!! Keeping muscle?

spebone

spebone

Awards
Hi just a quick one, I've recently been in hospital for an operation and they strongly advise I stay off work and out of the gym for 2 weeks!!!

Any tips on keeping my muscle mass and size?
Thanks

MIGUEL1J

MIGUEL1J

Awards
Keep up your protein, vitamins and omegas. I been out the gym for 6 weeks and I kept alot of my muscle.

I have two herniated disk. The doctor said I can do cardio only

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Keep up your protein, vitamins and omegas. I been out the gym for 6 weeks and I kept alot of my muscle.

This and if it were me I'd go low carb for the next couple weeks as well to help stay lookin lean

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
i would just eat enough. how much strength or size do you really think youll lose in 2-4 weeks? anything you lose will be pretty easy to get back. not like you broke your back and cant lift for 6-12 months or soemthin

spebone

spebone

Awards
i would just eat enough. how much strength or size do you really think youll lose in 2-4 weeks? anything you lose will be pretty easy to get back. not like you broke your back and cant lift for 6-12 months or soemthin
Yea true it's not like I broke my back, but asking questions on when to work out would be the last thing on my mind if I did.
I don't like when I miss the gym or exercise for 2 days, so just asking how to maintain as I've never been injured.
But I guess your right, I will put it back on quick enough!

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
its only 2 weeks bro your not gonna lose much if any mass just keep your diet in check cut carbs down a bit play some video games and enjoy the break you might lose some strength but it'll be back before you know it

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
its only 2 weeks bro your not gonna lose much if any mass just keep your diet in check cut carbs down a bit play some video games and enjoy the break you might lose some strength but it'll be back before you know it
This

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards

Which ones and where are they bulging out? I have two herniated, ruptured, dessicated discs (L4L5 and L5S1). Protruding to left causing sciatica. Docs and a physical therapist told me to keep lifting, just use low weight and perfect form and avoid anything that puts any load on spine like dead lifts or back squats or whatever. Did you get more than 1 opinion, or visit a sports doctor? You might still be able to lift and it may help you heal, then again I'm no doctor..good luck

MIGUEL1J

MIGUEL1J

Awards
Which ones and where are they bulging out? I have two herniated, ruptured, dessicated discs (L4L5 and L5S1). Protruding to left causing sciatica. Docs and a physical therapist told me to keep lifting, just use low weight and perfect form and avoid anything that puts any load on spine like dead lifts or back squats or whatever. Did you get more than 1 opinion, or visit a sports doctor? You might still be able to lift and it may help you heal, then again I'm no doctor..good luck
I don't have the paper work in front of me but I remember they keep repeating lumbar vertebra 4 and thoracic vertebra 10. I got 3 doctors to look at it. How long after the injury? My docs want me to wait a min 6months

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
I never stopped lifting. Just adjusted how I lifted. I also use an inversion table with mckenzie method stretches. Maybe it's because of the thoracic vertebrae that they told you to wait. Mine are just lumbar and sacral.

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
Hi just a quick one, I've recently been in hospital for an operation and they strongly advise I stay off work and out of the gym for 2 weeks!!!

Any tips on keeping my muscle mass and size?
Thanks
Eat a lot, ice/heat to help recovery, keep taking your supplemnts/AAS.. I went through the same thing a month or so back and didn't lose any muscle.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man, two weeks ain't nothin'. Your strength may drop a bit but you'll re-adjust in another couple weeks. No harm done. Just continue eating and rest up. It will probably do you some good. Enjoy the break.