The OFFICIAL Guns/Firearms/Knives Thread!

Page 2 of 35 First 1234 ... Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by stxnas View Post
    I figured you carried it on your waist, but I was still curious enough to ask. I like the idea of having something in my pocket, but that really limits my options. My cousin carries his KelTec P3AT .380 in his pocket, but, naturally, it's even smaller than the PF9. If I went with a .380, I think I'd go with the Ruger LCP .380. I doubt I end up going that route, though. It's hard to say until I get the feel of a few in my hands, though.
    The Ruger LCP is a nice little gun, but there is no way in hell I'd trust my life with a .380. Now that's not to say it won't get the job done, because shot placement is everything. It's the penetration factor with that round I wouldn't rely on. Still, it's better than nothing. This also is my own personal opion; nothing more. I know guys that a .22 handgun for self defense purposes. It's certainly better than a sharp stick or a rock.

    I carry IWB because having a daughter I don't want anything in my pocket. It's more secure and out of her reach with the IWB. If I had a choice, I'd just open carry.




    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary



  2. He mentioned something about that and then in turn showed me that he only uses hollow point in his .380.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by stxnas View Post
    He mentioned something about that and then in turn showed me that he only uses hollow point in his .380.
    Yeah, you definitely need hardball ammo if you want maximum penetration, but that's not the best for defensive purposes. I just don't feel confident in the .380 JHP.



    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  4. This is my newest purchase last month. A Glock 21 Generation 4. I love how they now include (3) magazines with their gen 4 guns. That's a huge check mark in their favor in my eyes. I should say that years ago I didn't buy into the whole "Glock is the best" talk you hear around the gun community. I decided to buy a Glock 17 Generation 3 and judge for myself. I can honestly say that I'm a big fan now and firmly believe in Glock's legendary reliability. Now, I'm still and always will be a 1911 guy first with my handguns, but these are great bang for the buck guns.

    BTW - This thing shoots like a dream. Not as accurate as my Kimber, but damn it's fun to shoot.





    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  5. I'm also a HUGE fan and collector of Russian Mosin Nagant Rifles. I don't know if you guys are familiar with them (Mil surp guys will be), but they are a blast (pun intended) to shoot. It's chambered for the 7.62 x 54R round which falls in-between our .308 and .30-06, but from a ballistics stand point it behaves closer to the .308 cartridge. I currently own (8) of them (6 are verified ex-sniper rifles). The other (2) consist of the carbine version (M44) and a standard infantry rifle. The dates on them range from 1938 all the way to 1945. These guns are still amazingly cheap due to the 17 million that were made in WW2; as well as incredibly cheap Mil Surp ammo (880 rounds for $140.) You just can't simply beat that.

    My absolute favorite is shown here below. It's a 1943 Tula Mosin Nagant sniper rifle. This gun has all the original markings and scope on it. This gun is quite a bit more than the rest ($800), but it's also an original which are harder and harder to come by these days. Amazingly enough, after almost 70 years this gun will still easily shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards. I've taken it hog hunting a few times and dropped them dead in their tracks.





    This is the M44 carbine version. This could be quite possibly the most fun I've ever had shooting a gun. This thing is unbelievably loud and demonstrates a HUGE fireball out of the muzzle with every shot. It always turns heads at the range when I bring it out, haha.








    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

    •   
       


  6. How did you first get started with this hobby? Was it something that you grew up with?
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49

  7. Quote Originally Posted by stxnas View Post
    How did you first get started with this hobby? Was it something that you grew up with?
    Yeah, kind of. I've always been a huge military history buff ranging from guns; to tanks; to planes; etc. I especially love WW2 firearms and military history.

    I shot guns pretty often as a kid, but I didn't really start getting into it from a collector aspect until the last 3-4 years or so. Unfortunately, it's a very expensive hobby. As you can imagine my wife does not like this at all....




    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  8. This is another gun that Kel Tec got right...

    Enter: Kel Tec KSG Shotgun. This thing is absolutely bad ass. It's a bullpup design that has (2) separate tubes you can switch between. You can't beat having (6) 00 Buck and (6) Slugs ready to go at any given time based on your specific need. This is the ultimate CQB shotgun. I want one!








    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  9. Love this Pic:








    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  10. Quote Originally Posted by T-AD
    Well, I may be no fancy pants, but here are my two moderate little tinker toys. Both are Taurus, which some people complain about them being an off-brand or inferior. I've never had any problems with them. A revolver is hard to screw up, and I've run atleast 500 rds through my pistol with NO issues whatsoever. It's not necessarily a tack driver, but it is fairly accurate. For defensive purposes, it shoots fast, so I'm happy. Mine is the 9mm (PT-99) and the .357 there is my wife's, although it is a bit too much for her to handle. She's wanted something smaller as of late, so I may look into a little .380 or something for her. As much as I hate to get rid of the .357, I REALLY want my shotgun!! lol

    Oh, and the pic was taken on the front seat of the ManVan. I store BOTH of these in there, fully loaded, and extra 15rd mag for the 9mm as well.

    For a little non-bullet action, here's my favorite li'l blade, too. Buck Nighthawk. VERY stout 6.5" blade. First time I took it out, I went hiking to look for limbs/sticks to carve into hiking staffs. I came across a young red oak (HARD wood) and found a good 2" thick branch that I wanted. I reared back, took a swipe at the branch, and SEVERED IT CLEAN. Now THAT is a good knife, IMO. (stock photo)

    And for fun, my li'l swords that I bought from BudK. Really simple, just for fun, decently sharp, and at only $12 each... Sure!! I bought 2 of 'em.
    Yea man I went to get the taurus 44 ultra lite and the guy totally said If I buy it I was a moron. So I didn't. I should really look into it more. But if you like yours idk why I wouldn't.

  11. Well, I see that a few posts are missing in here as well! No big.

    John-John, I asked what a carbine was. Seen the word thrown around, but not sure what makes a rifle a "Carbine". Bolanrox said about barrel length being shorter. Confirm?

    fireworkz - Honestly, I do like my Tauruses. They both have always worked exceedingly well. The ONLY time I ever had an issue was doing something silly with them. I had the PT-99 jam on me once, but it was a misfeed from an aftermarket mag. The spring in it is a bit weak, and the last round in there didn't come up quite right. But, I can honestly say that I have run 26 rounds out of it in roughly 3-4 seconds. 1 in the chamber, told someone to watch their watch and time it. Ran through the one in the chamber and 10 rd "clinton era" clip it came with, dropped mag to the ground, slapped in the 15, emptied it. A little fancy hand work on my part, and definitely didn't really hit much, but going for speed, I was happy. I figure in a CQB situation, the more rounds I throw at someone, the better off I am to hit 'em!

    With the CIA model (the .357), I ran 5 rds of Blazer ammo through it in .357 caliber. The cartridges were rather warm, or soft, or something, and I had a bugger of a time getting them to all eject once spent. But after running better quality through it (Winchester / Federal), I have NEVER had an issue. That little revolver works well.


    And on that note, the wife and I sat down and talked about it last night. She's got RA and can no longer shoot the brute force of a 2" bbl .357. It's too small for me to comfortably handle, so I'm going to try to sell it. I hate the thought of decreasing the number of arms, so whatever I sell this for will go directly to the Mossberg 500 project I want to do! It has less than 50 rounds run through it, and is in really great shape. I figure the pistol, case, keys (internal lock), a speedloader, roughly 50 various cartridges left - probably around $375. I paid $450 for the gun alone a few years ago.
    -RecoverBro Zombie Specialist and Paracord Wrangler
    -Independent due to lies that hurt my family. Loyal to myself and my Bro's.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by T-AD View Post
    Well, I see that a few posts are missing in here as well! No big.

    John-John, I asked what a carbine was. Seen the word thrown around, but not sure what makes a rifle a "Carbine". Bolanrox said about barrel length being shorter. Confirm?

    fireworkz - Honestly, I do like my Tauruses. They both have always worked exceedingly well. The ONLY time I ever had an issue was doing something silly with them. I had the PT-99 jam on me once, but it was a misfeed from an aftermarket mag. The spring in it is a bit weak, and the last round in there didn't come up quite right. But, I can honestly say that I have run 26 rounds out of it in roughly 3-4 seconds. 1 in the chamber, told someone to watch their watch and time it. Ran through the one in the chamber and 10 rd "clinton era" clip it came with, dropped mag to the ground, slapped in the 15, emptied it. A little fancy hand work on my part, and definitely didn't really hit much, but going for speed, I was happy. I figure in a CQB situation, the more rounds I throw at someone, the better off I am to hit 'em!

    With the CIA model (the .357), I ran 5 rds of Blazer ammo through it in .357 caliber. The cartridges were rather warm, or soft, or something, and I had a bugger of a time getting them to all eject once spent. But after running better quality through it (Winchester / Federal), I have NEVER had an issue. That little revolver works well.


    And on that note, the wife and I sat down and talked about it last night. She's got RA and can no longer shoot the brute force of a 2" bbl .357. It's too small for me to comfortably handle, so I'm going to try to sell it. I hate the thought of decreasing the number of arms, so whatever I sell this for will go directly to the Mossberg 500 project I want to do! It has less than 50 rounds run through it, and is in really great shape. I figure the pistol, case, keys (internal lock), a speedloader, roughly 50 various cartridges left - probably around $375. I paid $450 for the gun alone a few years ago.
    Tim,

    I did a whole post on it yesterday with a bunch of examples, but it has vanished. I know that there have been some server issues though and posts/threads were missing. I know they're working on it. If it doesn't pop back up I'll do another one, bro.



    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  13. My only other posts yesterday afternoon was about the m14 and its apparent level of build, reliablity, stopping power, accuaracy, weight, and i assume cost, being too damn high for the army

    and how you would think the army would have learned after the .38 special v .45 in the Phillipines,
    the m1 carbine (.30 cal??) droping people in Korea only to have them get back up because it couldnt pentrate the layers they were wearing.
    Not to metion the m16 not being able to punch the through jungle cover either

  14. Did a little window shopping today for shotties. Didn't find exactly what I wanted, but did find a few nice ones that would work. Stopped at Gander Mountain and that was a bust. Higher prices, eventhough they'll match price with anyone else, but wasn't too impressed with the selection. Got to compare the Moss to the Remington 870, though. The Rem was a nice gun, but I like the placement of the action release and safety on the Moss's better.

    At stop 2, I checked out a few more. There was a really sharp Moss 590 for $500 with the Mariner coat on it. Quite nice. 8-shot, too. They had a few others, and one used Rem 870 for like $330 that was already slightly decked out. For what I want, it'd still need more, but honestly, for the price and what it was, it wasn't bad at all. IF I can sell the .357 outright, then I may opt for the 590 Mariner. If not...

    Had the .357 looked at by both places and asked what they'd give me for it. Gander Mt. said $180 tops. Guy showed me the book, and it's at $380 in current condition. Uh... no. Rip off! 2nd place would do about $225 for it, and owner knows my dad, so that's MUCH more likely. If I do trade with them, I may opt for the used 870, or I may do a 2-month layaway for the remainder of the mariner coated 590.

    Nice to know I have options! Now... Anybody wanna by my snubbie?!?!?!? PLEASE!!!!!!
    -RecoverBro Zombie Specialist and Paracord Wrangler
    -Independent due to lies that hurt my family. Loyal to myself and my Bro's.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by T-AD View Post
    Did a little window shopping today for shotties. Didn't find exactly what I wanted, but did find a few nice ones that would work. Stopped at Gander Mountain and that was a bust. Higher prices, eventhough they'll match price with anyone else, but wasn't too impressed with the selection. Got to compare the Moss to the Remington 870, though. The Rem was a nice gun, but I like the placement of the action release and safety on the Moss's better.

    At stop 2, I checked out a few more. There was a really sharp Moss 590 for $500 with the Mariner coat on it. Quite nice. 8-shot, too. They had a few others, and one used Rem 870 for like $330 that was already slightly decked out. For what I want, it'd still need more, but honestly, for the price and what it was, it wasn't bad at all. IF I can sell the .357 outright, then I may opt for the 590 Mariner. If not...

    Had the .357 looked at by both places and asked what they'd give me for it. Gander Mt. said $180 tops. Guy showed me the book, and it's at $380 in current condition. Uh... no. Rip off! 2nd place would do about $225 for it, and owner knows my dad, so that's MUCH more likely. If I do trade with them, I may opt for the used 870, or I may do a 2-month layaway for the remainder of the mariner coated 590.

    Nice to know I have options! Now... Anybody wanna by my snubbie?!?!?!? PLEASE!!!!!!
    Trying to sell any used gun to a gun shop or dealer is a total lose situation, Tim. They have all the cards in their hand and will literally give you half of what it's actually worth. My advice would be to sell it to someone in a private sale or list it on a website like gunbroker. You're much more likely to get what you're asking for it.

    I'll see what I can do looking online myself to find you a good deal.




    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  16. I skimmed through this thread, I guess if we are all gonna whip ours out and see whos is bigger, Im gonna have to play along. Ill post something when I get a chance.
    PHF Rep


  17. This is what my 1943 Mosin Nagant Sniper Rifle (7.62 x 54R) did last time at the range.

    Not too bad for standard mil surp rounds and a gun that's 70 years old, eh? God I love this thing.005.jpg




    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  18. Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    Trying to sell any used gun to a gun shop or dealer is a total lose situation, Tim. They have all the cards in their hand and will literally give you half of what it's actually worth. My advice would be to sell it to someone in a private sale or list it on a website like gunbroker. You're much more likely to get what you're asking for it.

    I'll see what I can do looking online myself to find you a good deal.




    -T1
    Well aware that I'd get screwed, man. I wanted what I got from them today, an idea of what it's worth on the market. Now that I know that, I know what I'm willing to take for it. I already do have it listed on the local armslist, but not on gunbroker yet. I wasn't sure how smooth that one would go with me not being a dealer. I'll have to read up on it. But, it is listed - armslist, local traders guide, FB, and got the word out with my dad and 2 cop buddies. Maybe something will come together.
    -RecoverBro Zombie Specialist and Paracord Wrangler
    -Independent due to lies that hurt my family. Loyal to myself and my Bro's.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by T-AD View Post
    Well aware that I'd get screwed, man. I wanted what I got from them today, an idea of what it's worth on the market. Now that I know that, I know what I'm willing to take for it. I already do have it listed on the local armslist, but not on gunbroker yet. I wasn't sure how smooth that one would go with me not being a dealer. I'll have to read up on it. But, it is listed - armslist, local traders guide, FB, and got the word out with my dad and 2 cop buddies. Maybe something will come together.
    Cool, that's the way to do it with a local listing. If you went through gunbroker you'd have to ship it through an FFL; which would cost you money.

    I bought a few guns locally here myself through private sale. It's absolutely the best way to do it. Good luck! You NEED that shotgun!


    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  20. I know every state is going to be different, but generally do any ranges offer the option to rent a handgun or rifle to use at the range?


    I know the Gun shop in Vegas does but besides that, is it a common thing? I had been looking and most were dead ends, best i could fine was one place in South Jersey that did.

    Do you knows know a a good site to look at for info like that? Its hard enough just googling to find a local range let alone anything else

  21. Howdy, peeps! Just thought I'd throw an update up in here.

    Heard yesterday that I have a buyer for the .357. Yay! Getting $350 for it, which I can definitely live with. I've decided to go for the used Rem 870 that I saw last week, hoping that it's still there by the time I get there this week! 8rd capacity, slightly tac'ed out already with a rail on top, side saddle, and breacher barrel. Gonna keep the saddle and choke, but ditch the tiny rail for a much bigger one as planned. Price on it is $380 or something, so I'll roll up with some cashola and bring it home! SO EXCITED!!!

    And in anticipation of it, I went ahead and ordered a 10 rd box of Hornady Zombie Max shotshells today. I actually FOUND some!! sportsmensguide.com has 'em, all makes as it seems, too, in stock. $17 and change shipped. I just want 'em for in the saddle cause they'll look epic!

    WOOO!!!!
    -RecoverBro Zombie Specialist and Paracord Wrangler
    -Independent due to lies that hurt my family. Loyal to myself and my Bro's.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by T-AD View Post
    Howdy, peeps! Just thought I'd throw an update up in here.

    Heard yesterday that I have a buyer for the .357. Yay! Getting $350 for it, which I can definitely live with. I've decided to go for the used Rem 870 that I saw last week, hoping that it's still there by the time I get there this week! 8rd capacity, slightly tac'ed out already with a rail on top, side saddle, and breacher barrel. Gonna keep the saddle and choke, but ditch the tiny rail for a much bigger one as planned. Price on it is $380 or something, so I'll roll up with some cashola and bring it home! SO EXCITED!!!

    And in anticipation of it, I went ahead and ordered a 10 rd box of Hornady Zombie Max shotshells today. I actually FOUND some!! sportsmensguide.com has 'em, all makes as it seems, too, in stock. $17 and change shipped. I just want 'em for in the saddle cause they'll look epic!

    WOOO!!!!
    Nice!!

    You're going to love your new toy.




    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  23. When I eventually get my class 3 license; and win the lottery I want one of these:

    MG42





    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary


  24. Quote Originally Posted by Bolanrox
    I know every state is going to be different, but generally do any ranges offer the option to rent a handgun or rifle to use at the range?

    I know the Gun shop in Vegas does but besides that, is it a common thing? I had been looking and most were dead ends, best i could fine was one place in South Jersey that did.

    Do you knows know a a good site to look at for info like that? Its hard enough just googling to find a local range let alone anything else
    I've been to ranges that do in CA, but they won't usually rent to you if you show up alone unless you have a gun with you already because they are worried about suicides. However, they will rent if you go with other people or have your own gun.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by Bolanrox View Post
    I know every state is going to be different, but generally do any ranges offer the option to rent a handgun or rifle to use at the range?


    I know the Gun shop in Vegas does but besides that, is it a common thing? I had been looking and most were dead ends, best i could fine was one place in South Jersey that did.

    Do you knows know a a good site to look at for info like that? Its hard enough just googling to find a local range let alone anything else
    There are two in Jersey that will rent handguns and a couple of long guns, one is shoreshot, the other is brick armory:

    http://www.shoreshotpistolrange.com/
    PHF Rep


  26. thanks! i will have to take a look when i get home.

    two or more people is no beig deal, I would be going with fam anyways. Just would love to find one not a 2 hour drive to get to

    I have a shotgun range nearby that we keep taking about going too but never make it.

  27. I have a shotgun range just a block up from my house! Oh wait, no... that's a playground full of teens. No, I'm right... shotgun range. We're good.
    -RecoverBro Zombie Specialist and Paracord Wrangler
    -Independent due to lies that hurt my family. Loyal to myself and my Bro's.

  28. JOHN!!!

    After doing a little digging about stocks and whatnot, I think I'm NOT going to go with the BlackHawk!/Knoxx one. Not sure of the design of it, eventhough it does look pretty BA. I found a few reviews on it both good and bad, but decided that when it's time, I'm going to go with one from ATI instead. Here's the one I'm eyeballing: http://www.atigunstocks.com/tactical...gun-stock.html CheaperThanDirt.com has it for less than $70, too. Yay!
    -RecoverBro Zombie Specialist and Paracord Wrangler
    -Independent due to lies that hurt my family. Loyal to myself and my Bro's.

  29. Damn shore shot is the place I found too. It is a good 2 hour drive. Oh wells

  30. Quote Originally Posted by T-AD View Post
    JOHN!!!

    After doing a little digging about stocks and whatnot, I think I'm NOT going to go with the BlackHawk!/Knoxx one. Not sure of the design of it, eventhough it does look pretty BA. I found a few reviews on it both good and bad, but decided that when it's time, I'm going to go with one from ATI instead. Here's the one I'm eyeballing: http://www.atigunstocks.com/tactical...gun-stock.html CheaperThanDirt.com has it for less than $70, too. Yay!
    Nice, buddy! Most the complaints about the Knoxx stock were with the GEN 1 edition. People claim it was smacking them in the chin hard with the recoil being redirected through the tension system. They fixed that with the GEN 2 edition though. I've never had that issue with mine. It significantly reduces recoil; even for the magnum rounds.



    -T1

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. official overtraining thread!
    By mkretz in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 02:02 PM
  2. post in official thread.
    By Swole215 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 09:35 AM
  3. THE OFFICIAL ATHEIST THREAD
    By SELFofGOD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Official boxmeman thread
    By ReaperX in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 05:47 PM
  5. Official NFL Football Thread
    By jweave23 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Log in
Log in