The OFFICIAL Guns/Firearms/Knives Thread!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Guys,

I think we need a thread to discuss anything and everything about Guns/Firearms/Knives. I have an extensive collection myself and spend a good deal of time training when I can. I have some stuff to add in here later, but I wanted to get the thread started.

Let's get this baby rollin'!

-John

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
in to learn.

im looking into my first firearm before its too late

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice idea, John!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good deal, fellas. I think it would be cool to have different topics each week as well for educational purposes. I know a lot of you guys are looking at getting your CCW Permit (which I STRONGLY advise), so there could be some very valuable information passed along to new shooters/carriers.

I'll get some stuff going later tonight though.

In the meantime...

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
Can someone give a basic explanation on what's going on with gun laws at the moment? Is our right to bear arms being taken away or something? I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to firearms.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Surprised this hasn't gotten more attention

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can someone give a basic explanation on what's going on with gun laws at the moment? Is our right to bear arms being taken away or something? I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to firearms.
Depends what you mean here. Are you referring to individual state laws?

There is a bill in the senate (it passed the house) right now that would allow for national reciprocity of all Concealed Carry Permit Holders across the country; which is how it always should have been. Let's hope it makes it out.

-T1

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends what you mean here. Are you referring to individual state laws?

There is a bill in the senate (it passed the house) right now that would allow for national reciprocity of all Concealed Carry Permit Holders across the country; which is how it always should have been. Let's hope it makes it out.

-T1
So would that mean that if I have my CC in PA, I could actually cross a border with a loaded pistol? I do like to carry when I ride, especially into unfamiliar territories. Too many bad MC's out there who frown upon us riding club folks, and I don't want to get caught in a bad situation.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
and conversely would that mean that you could have an easier go of getting a CC permit in states where it is generally hard / not allowed?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So would that mean that if I have my CC in PA, I could actually cross a border with a loaded pistol? I do like to carry when I ride, especially into unfamiliar territories. Too many bad MC's out there who frown upon us riding club folks, and I don't want to get caught in a bad situation.
There are a lot of states that already have reciprocity with each other, but this new bill will unify the ideal and allow you to use your CCW (in any state you hold one) permit in any of the 50 states. Essentially, making the same rules apply and acknowledgement across the country; the way it should always have been.

Check this out, Tim:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/

You can see currently which states will observe your CCW permit. Now, at the current time even though they recognize it, you still must follow their individual state laws for CCW. If you plan to travel across the line, make sure you check out their specific state CCW laws first.

I also strongly advise you join this CCW organization as well. They offer a ton of information and have packages that will assist you in the event you ever have to use deadly force in a defensive sitation (i.e., providing lawyer info and insurance coverage for civil/criminal liability.) God forbid you ever do have to use your weapon, this will help you out a lot.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now to show a few of my toys:

This first gun is my baby. It's a Kimber 1911 Pro Covert 2. This thing is an absolute tac-driver. Nothing beats the feel and accuracy of a solidly built 1911. There is a reason the 1911 platform has been around for 100 years and still used today. The only downside here is that Kimber's are WAY too expensive, imo. Granted, they are high end match grade guns, but the price is often ridiculous. I think I paid close to $1500.00 out the door last year for this. This gun is my primary home defense gun as well if I can't get to my shotgun. It comes stock with those crimson trace laser grips as well:

This next gun is my carry gun. It's a Kel Tec PF9. Now, there was a time that I firmly believed that Kel Tec put out a lot of garbage guns (some of them still are), but this one is the exception. I can't think of a more affordable and more reliable choice on the market right now based on my own anecdotal experiences with it. It's light (under 16oz's loaded), accurate, reliable, and very ergonomic for carrying purposes. It has a true double action pull with no external safety (which I like.) I have this exact gun with the tan cerakote finish:

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I may be no fancy pants, but here are my two moderate little tinker toys. Both are Taurus, which some people complain about them being an off-brand or inferior. I've never had any problems with them. A revolver is hard to screw up, and I've run atleast 500 rds through my pistol with NO issues whatsoever. It's not necessarily a tack driver, but it is fairly accurate. For defensive purposes, it shoots fast, so I'm happy. Mine is the 9mm (PT-99) and the .357 there is my wife's, although it is a bit too much for her to handle. She's wanted something smaller as of late, so I may look into a little .380 or something for her. As much as I hate to get rid of the .357, I REALLY want my shotgun!! lol

Oh, and the pic was taken on the front seat of the ManVan. I store BOTH of these in there, fully loaded, and extra 15rd mag for the 9mm as well.

For a little non-bullet action, here's my favorite li'l blade, too. Buck Nighthawk. VERY stout 6.5" blade. First time I took it out, I went hiking to look for limbs/sticks to carve into hiking staffs. I came across a young red oak (HARD wood) and found a good 2" thick branch that I wanted. I reared back, took a swipe at the branch, and SEVERED IT CLEAN. Now THAT is a good knife, IMO. (stock photo)

And for fun, my li'l swords that I bought from BudK. Really simple, just for fun, decently sharp, and at only $12 each... Sure!! I bought 2 of 'em. :)

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
I know you get what you pay for, and home defence is not something to skimp on. but yeah Kimber prices are high. Maybe not Wilson Combat high, but for a bit more you can get one custom made :)

If given the choice i think i would go with a Desert Warrior something about a matte black frame / slide and ivory / eggshell grips.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
how do you like that kel tec trauma? i was told they are garbage but it's a nice looking gun

just entered a gun raffle and hoping to win a $10 gun

my favorite "weapon" is my cane where the top comes off with a dagger, can't wait til i'm an old man and can use it

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use wilson combat mags for my 1911; that's about it. They are the epitome of overpriced. I will say however it is absolute quality stuff, though. Ed Brown, Nighthawk, and Dan Wesson make some bad ass pricey 1911's as well.

The Desert Warrior is a nice gun. I almost bought that around the same time. My Kimber pro covert 2 also came stock with tritium night sights as well with the laser grips, so it's set up perfectly for a home defense gun. I love the FDE and digital camo grips. :D

-T1

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't need night sights. I can see in the dark.

No really, I can. I'm very light sensitive, which sucks in the daytime, but is GREAT at night! I regularly ride the bike at night with sunglasses on. :D

Speaking of which, WileyX is my preferred "optics". lol All very light frames, tactical and safety lenses. I've taken large bees and stones to the eyes with these and they're still flawless. Best ones I have for fit and everything are called "Slay", in their "special ops" line, pictured below.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
ive just heard their mags were a must have replacement to the stock Kimbers.. no way i would ever justify 4k on one of their 1911s though
That makes a HK me23 mod 0 with suppressor look cheap :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I may be no fancy pants, but here are my two moderate little tinker toys. Both are Taurus, which some people complain about them being an off-brand or inferior. I've never had any problems with them. A revolver is hard to screw up, and I've run atleast 500 rds through my pistol with NO issues whatsoever. It's not necessarily a tack driver, but it is fairly accurate. For defensive purposes, it shoots fast, so I'm happy. Mine is the 9mm (PT-99) and the .357 there is my wife's, although it is a bit too much for her to handle. She's wanted something smaller as of late, so I may look into a little .380 or something for her. As much as I hate to get rid of the .357, I REALLY want my shotgun!! lol

Oh, and the pic was taken on the front seat of the ManVan. I store BOTH of these in there, fully loaded, and extra 15rd mag for the 9mm as well.

For a little non-bullet action, here's my favorite li'l blade, too. Buck Nighthawk. VERY stout 6.5" blade. First time I took it out, I went hiking to look for limbs/sticks to carve into hiking staffs. I came across a young red oak (HARD wood) and found a good 2" thick branch that I wanted. I reared back, took a swipe at the branch, and SEVERED IT CLEAN. Now THAT is a good knife, IMO. (stock photo)

And for fun, my li'l swords that I bought from BudK. Really simple, just for fun, decently sharp, and at only $12 each... Sure!! I bought 2 of 'em. :)

Anyone that says Taurus guns are crap doesn't know a damn thing about guns, Tim. They are quality guns all around. Every company has a lemon once in a while, but Taurus (especially their revolvers) are a very solid and affordable choice. They are literally built to the exact same specifications as Smith and Wesson (they were affiliated and built in the same factories years ago).

I own a Taurus Model 66 (7 shot) 6" barrel .357 revolver. It's an absolutely beautiful gun at a great price. I think I paid $450.00 new for it. It's literally an exact replica and specification standards as the Smith and Wesson 686; it's just not polished like the Smith, and a few hundred less.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how do you like that kel tec trauma? i was told they are garbage but it's a nice looking gun

just entered a gun raffle and hoping to win a $10 gun

my favorite "weapon" is my cane where the top comes off with a dagger, can't wait til i'm an old man and can use it
Their PF9 is an absolutely fantastic little gun. They do make some garbage stuff, but not this one. It's as good as it gets in terms of concealed carry. Let's put it this way, I'd absolutely trust my life with it, and do everyday. I've put 500 rounds through it in practice since getting it and not one malfunction at all.

All you need to do is choose a good defensive 9mm load and you're good-to-go. I personally like Hornady's Critical Defense (which is what I carry), but there are a ton of good options; +P loads are recommends for carry as well, and this gun is rated for that.

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ive just heard their mags were a must have replacement to the stock Kimbers.. no way i would ever justify 4k on one of their 1911s though
That makes a HK me23 mod 0 with suppressor look cheap :)
I know, lol! Everyone will tell you that (and they are good mags), but the Kimber Tac Pro mags work just as well or better for a cheaper price. The stock magazine that comes with any Kimber gun are absolute garbage. I can't believe you pay that much for a gun and they not only give you a **** magazine, but only one! I applaude Glock with their new Gen 4 models in giving out three mags with every gun. They're very good mags as well. I just bought a Glock 21 Gen 4 last month; LOVE it!

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't need night sights. I can see in the dark.

No really, I can. I'm very light sensitive, which sucks in the daytime, but is GREAT at night! I regularly ride the bike at night with sunglasses on. :D

Speaking of which, WileyX is my preferred "optics". lol All very light frames, tactical and safety lenses. I've taken large bees and stones to the eyes with these and they're still flawless. Best ones I have for fit and everything are called "Slay", in their "special ops" line, pictured below.

Me likey. :D

-T1

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
I know, lol! Everyone will tell you that (and they are good mags), but the Kimber Tac Pro mags work just as well or better for a cheaper price. The stock magazine that comes with any Kimber gun are absolute garbage. I can't believe you pay that much for a gun and they not only give you a **** magazine, but only one! I applaude Glock with their new Gen 4 models in giving out three mags with every gun. They're very good mags as well. I just bought a Glock 21 Gen 4 last month; LOVE it!

-T1
Yeah props to SA and Glock you know for giving stuff that it should come with - case, extra (and good at that) mags etc.

it would be like buying a great tube amp, but needing to buy the tubes for it after fact.

Colby

Colby

Awards
I font have have ne pics but u recently bout a Taurus pt1911, sum ppl hate em sum like em, I like it so far, had a s&w 1911 b4 that but it got stolen about 3 years ago, lol my tack driver is a savage 22lr with the sights taken off

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
T1,
How do you carry your PF9?

I've been doing a little research lately and came across this model. I've been a little skeptical about it, though. A range is opening about mile from house. I can't wait, so I can start trying out a few different models.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
T1,
How do you carry your PF9?

I've been doing a little research lately and came across this model. I've been a little skeptical about it, though. A range is opening about mile from house. I can't wait, so I can start trying out a few different models.
Hey Bro,

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about it. There are some great youtube resources as well. Check out "nutnfancy" and his reviews of the PF9 there.

This is the exact IWB holster that I use. I prefer to carry on the inside of the waist as this gun is so light you forget it's even there; plus it's just easier to conceal this way, imo. This holster also has the pocket for an extra mag as wel (which i always advise):

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Their PF9 is an absolutely fantastic little gun. They do make some garbage stuff, but not this one. It's as good as it gets in terms of concealed carry. Let's put it this way, I'd absolutely trust my life with it, and do everyday. I've put 500 rounds through it in practice since getting it and not one malfunction at all.

All you need to do is choose a good defensive 9mm load and you're good-to-go. I personally like Hornady's Critical Defense (which is what I carry), but there are a ton of good options; +P loads are recommends for carry as well, and this gun is rated for that.

-T1
i have a 9mm for carrying, kind of big, but i almost bought a kel tec before i was told they are garbage, but after i get myself an ar or ak, i'm going to upgrade my handgun

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I figured you carried it on your waist, but I was still curious enough to ask. I like the idea of having something in my pocket, but that really limits my options. My cousin carries his KelTec P3AT .380 in his pocket, but, naturally, it's even smaller than the PF9. If I went with a .380, I think I'd go with the Ruger LCP .380. I doubt I end up going that route, though. It's hard to say until I get the feel of a few in my hands, though. :D

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have a 9mm for carrying, kind of big, but i almost bought a kel tec before i was told they are garbage, but after i get myself an ar or ak, i'm going to upgrade my handgun
Who told you Kel Tec is garbage? Which gun in particular? The do have some guns I would consider "subpar", but the PF9 is far from that, imo.

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I figured you carried it on your waist, but I was still curious enough to ask. I like the idea of having something in my pocket, but that really limits my options. My cousin carries his KelTec P3AT .380 in his pocket, but, naturally, it's even smaller than the PF9. If I went with a .380, I think I'd go with the Ruger LCP .380. I doubt I end up going that route, though. It's hard to say until I get the feel of a few in my hands, though. :D
The Ruger LCP is a nice little gun, but there is no way in hell I'd trust my life with a .380. Now that's not to say it won't get the job done, because shot placement is everything. It's the penetration factor with that round I wouldn't rely on. Still, it's better than nothing. This also is my own personal opion; nothing more. I know guys that a .22 handgun for self defense purposes. It's certainly better than a sharp stick or a rock. :D

I carry IWB because having a daughter I don't want anything in my pocket. It's more secure and out of her reach with the IWB. If I had a choice, I'd just open carry. :D

-T1

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He mentioned something about that and then in turn showed me that he only uses hollow point in his .380.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He mentioned something about that and then in turn showed me that he only uses hollow point in his .380.
Yeah, you definitely need hardball ammo if you want maximum penetration, but that's not the best for defensive purposes. I just don't feel confident in the .380 JHP.

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is my newest purchase last month. A Glock 21 Generation 4. I love how they now include (3) magazines with their gen 4 guns. That's a huge check mark in their favor in my eyes. I should say that years ago I didn't buy into the whole "Glock is the best" talk you hear around the gun community. I decided to buy a Glock 17 Generation 3 and judge for myself. I can honestly say that I'm a big fan now and firmly believe in Glock's legendary reliability. Now, I'm still and always will be a 1911 guy first with my handguns, but these are great bang for the buck guns.

BTW - This thing shoots like a dream. Not as accurate as my Kimber, but damn it's fun to shoot. :)

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm also a HUGE fan and collector of Russian Mosin Nagant Rifles. I don't know if you guys are familiar with them (Mil surp guys will be), but they are a blast (pun intended) to shoot. It's chambered for the 7.62 x 54R round which falls in-between our .308 and .30-06, but from a ballistics stand point it behaves closer to the .308 cartridge. I currently own (8) of them (6 are verified ex-sniper rifles). The other (2) consist of the carbine version (M44) and a standard infantry rifle. The dates on them range from 1938 all the way to 1945. These guns are still amazingly cheap due to the 17 million that were made in WW2; as well as incredibly cheap Mil Surp ammo (880 rounds for $140.) You just can't simply beat that.

My absolute favorite is shown here below. It's a 1943 Tula Mosin Nagant sniper rifle. This gun has all the original markings and scope on it. This gun is quite a bit more than the rest ($800), but it's also an original which are harder and harder to come by these days. Amazingly enough, after almost 70 years this gun will still easily shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards. I've taken it hog hunting a few times and dropped them dead in their tracks.

This is the M44 carbine version. This could be quite possibly the most fun I've ever had shooting a gun. This thing is unbelievably loud and demonstrates a HUGE fireball out of the muzzle with every shot. It always turns heads at the range when I bring it out, haha.

-T1

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How did you first get started with this hobby? Was it something that you grew up with?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How did you first get started with this hobby? Was it something that you grew up with?
Yeah, kind of. I've always been a huge military history buff ranging from guns; to tanks; to planes; etc. I especially love WW2 firearms and military history.

I shot guns pretty often as a kid, but I didn't really start getting into it from a collector aspect until the last 3-4 years or so. Unfortunately, it's a very expensive hobby. As you can imagine my wife does not like this at all....:D

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is another gun that Kel Tec got right...

Enter: Kel Tec KSG Shotgun. This thing is absolutely bad ass. It's a bullpup design that has (2) separate tubes you can switch between. You can't beat having (6) 00 Buck and (6) Slugs ready to go at any given time based on your specific need. This is the ultimate CQB shotgun. I want one! :D

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Love this Pic:

-T1

fireworkz788

fireworkz788

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Yea man I went to get the taurus 44 ultra lite and the guy totally said If I buy it I was a moron. So I didn't. I should really look into it more. But if you like yours idk why I wouldn't.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I see that a few posts are missing in here as well! No big.

John-John, I asked what a carbine was. Seen the word thrown around, but not sure what makes a rifle a "Carbine". Bolanrox said about barrel length being shorter. Confirm?

fireworkz - Honestly, I do like my Tauruses. They both have always worked exceedingly well. The ONLY time I ever had an issue was doing something silly with them. I had the PT-99 jam on me once, but it was a misfeed from an aftermarket mag. The spring in it is a bit weak, and the last round in there didn't come up quite right. But, I can honestly say that I have run 26 rounds out of it in roughly 3-4 seconds. 1 in the chamber, told someone to watch their watch and time it. Ran through the one in the chamber and 10 rd "clinton era" clip it came with, dropped mag to the ground, slapped in the 15, emptied it. A little fancy hand work on my part, and definitely didn't really hit much, but going for speed, I was happy. I figure in a CQB situation, the more rounds I throw at someone, the better off I am to hit 'em!

With the CIA model (the .357), I ran 5 rds of Blazer ammo through it in .357 caliber. The cartridges were rather warm, or soft, or something, and I had a bugger of a time getting them to all eject once spent. But after running better quality through it (Winchester / Federal), I have NEVER had an issue. That little revolver works well.

And on that note, the wife and I sat down and talked about it last night. She's got RA and can no longer shoot the brute force of a 2" bbl .357. It's too small for me to comfortably handle, so I'm going to try to sell it. I hate the thought of decreasing the number of arms, so whatever I sell this for will go directly to the Mossberg 500 project I want to do! It has less than 50 rounds run through it, and is in really great shape. I figure the pistol, case, keys (internal lock), a speedloader, roughly 50 various cartridges left - probably around $375. I paid $450 for the gun alone a few years ago.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I see that a few posts are missing in here as well! No big.

John-John, I asked what a carbine was. Seen the word thrown around, but not sure what makes a rifle a "Carbine". Bolanrox said about barrel length being shorter. Confirm?

fireworkz - Honestly, I do like my Tauruses. They both have always worked exceedingly well. The ONLY time I ever had an issue was doing something silly with them. I had the PT-99 jam on me once, but it was a misfeed from an aftermarket mag. The spring in it is a bit weak, and the last round in there didn't come up quite right. But, I can honestly say that I have run 26 rounds out of it in roughly 3-4 seconds. 1 in the chamber, told someone to watch their watch and time it. Ran through the one in the chamber and 10 rd "clinton era" clip it came with, dropped mag to the ground, slapped in the 15, emptied it. A little fancy hand work on my part, and definitely didn't really hit much, but going for speed, I was happy. I figure in a CQB situation, the more rounds I throw at someone, the better off I am to hit 'em!

With the CIA model (the .357), I ran 5 rds of Blazer ammo through it in .357 caliber. The cartridges were rather warm, or soft, or something, and I had a bugger of a time getting them to all eject once spent. But after running better quality through it (Winchester / Federal), I have NEVER had an issue. That little revolver works well.

And on that note, the wife and I sat down and talked about it last night. She's got RA and can no longer shoot the brute force of a 2" bbl .357. It's too small for me to comfortably handle, so I'm going to try to sell it. I hate the thought of decreasing the number of arms, so whatever I sell this for will go directly to the Mossberg 500 project I want to do! It has less than 50 rounds run through it, and is in really great shape. I figure the pistol, case, keys (internal lock), a speedloader, roughly 50 various cartridges left - probably around $375. I paid $450 for the gun alone a few years ago.
Tim,

I did a whole post on it yesterday with a bunch of examples, but it has vanished. I know that there have been some server issues though and posts/threads were missing. I know they're working on it. If it doesn't pop back up I'll do another one, bro. :)

-T1

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
My only other posts yesterday afternoon was about the m14 and its apparent level of build, reliablity, stopping power, accuaracy, weight, and i assume cost, being too damn high for the army :)

and how you would think the army would have learned after the .38 special v .45 in the Phillipines,
the m1 carbine (.30 cal??) droping people in Korea only to have them get back up because it couldnt pentrate the layers they were wearing.
Not to metion the m16 not being able to punch the through jungle cover either :)

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did a little window shopping today for shotties. Didn't find exactly what I wanted, but did find a few nice ones that would work. Stopped at Gander Mountain and that was a bust. Higher prices, eventhough they'll match price with anyone else, but wasn't too impressed with the selection. Got to compare the Moss to the Remington 870, though. The Rem was a nice gun, but I like the placement of the action release and safety on the Moss's better.

At stop 2, I checked out a few more. There was a really sharp Moss 590 for $500 with the Mariner coat on it. Quite nice. 8-shot, too. They had a few others, and one used Rem 870 for like $330 that was already slightly decked out. For what I want, it'd still need more, but honestly, for the price and what it was, it wasn't bad at all. IF I can sell the .357 outright, then I may opt for the 590 Mariner. If not...

Had the .357 looked at by both places and asked what they'd give me for it. Gander Mt. said $180 tops. Guy showed me the book, and it's at $380 in current condition. Uh... no. Rip off! 2nd place would do about $225 for it, and owner knows my dad, so that's MUCH more likely. If I do trade with them, I may opt for the used 870, or I may do a 2-month layaway for the remainder of the mariner coated 590.

Nice to know I have options! Now... Anybody wanna by my snubbie?!?!?!? PLEASE!!!!!!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did a little window shopping today for shotties. Didn't find exactly what I wanted, but did find a few nice ones that would work. Stopped at Gander Mountain and that was a bust. Higher prices, eventhough they'll match price with anyone else, but wasn't too impressed with the selection. Got to compare the Moss to the Remington 870, though. The Rem was a nice gun, but I like the placement of the action release and safety on the Moss's better.

At stop 2, I checked out a few more. There was a really sharp Moss 590 for $500 with the Mariner coat on it. Quite nice. 8-shot, too. They had a few others, and one used Rem 870 for like $330 that was already slightly decked out. For what I want, it'd still need more, but honestly, for the price and what it was, it wasn't bad at all. IF I can sell the .357 outright, then I may opt for the 590 Mariner. If not...

Had the .357 looked at by both places and asked what they'd give me for it. Gander Mt. said $180 tops. Guy showed me the book, and it's at $380 in current condition. Uh... no. Rip off! 2nd place would do about $225 for it, and owner knows my dad, so that's MUCH more likely. If I do trade with them, I may opt for the used 870, or I may do a 2-month layaway for the remainder of the mariner coated 590.

Nice to know I have options! Now... Anybody wanna by my snubbie?!?!?!? PLEASE!!!!!!
Trying to sell any used gun to a gun shop or dealer is a total lose situation, Tim. They have all the cards in their hand and will literally give you half of what it's actually worth. My advice would be to sell it to someone in a private sale or list it on a website like gunbroker. You're much more likely to get what you're asking for it.

I'll see what I can do looking online myself to find you a good deal. :D

-T1

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
I skimmed through this thread, I guess if we are all gonna whip ours out and see whos is bigger, Im gonna have to play along. Ill post something when I get a chance.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is what my 1943 Mosin Nagant Sniper Rifle (7.62 x 54R) did last time at the range.

Not too bad for standard mil surp rounds and a gun that's 70 years old, eh? God I love this thing.005.jpg

-T1

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Trying to sell any used gun to a gun shop or dealer is a total lose situation, Tim. They have all the cards in their hand and will literally give you half of what it's actually worth. My advice would be to sell it to someone in a private sale or list it on a website like gunbroker. You're much more likely to get what you're asking for it.

I'll see what I can do looking online myself to find you a good deal. :D

-T1
Well aware that I'd get screwed, man. I wanted what I got from them today, an idea of what it's worth on the market. Now that I know that, I know what I'm willing to take for it. I already do have it listed on the local armslist, but not on gunbroker yet. I wasn't sure how smooth that one would go with me not being a dealer. I'll have to read up on it. But, it is listed - armslist, local traders guide, FB, and got the word out with my dad and 2 cop buddies. Maybe something will come together.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well aware that I'd get screwed, man. I wanted what I got from them today, an idea of what it's worth on the market. Now that I know that, I know what I'm willing to take for it. I already do have it listed on the local armslist, but not on gunbroker yet. I wasn't sure how smooth that one would go with me not being a dealer. I'll have to read up on it. But, it is listed - armslist, local traders guide, FB, and got the word out with my dad and 2 cop buddies. Maybe something will come together.
Cool, that's the way to do it with a local listing. If you went through gunbroker you'd have to ship it through an FFL; which would cost you money.

I bought a few guns locally here myself through private sale. It's absolutely the best way to do it. Good luck! You NEED that shotgun! :D

-T1

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
I know every state is going to be different, but generally do any ranges offer the option to rent a handgun or rifle to use at the range?

I know the Gun shop in Vegas does :) but besides that, is it a common thing? I had been looking and most were dead ends, best i could fine was one place in South Jersey that did.

Do you knows know a a good site to look at for info like that? Its hard enough just googling to find a local range let alone anything else