Elevated blood pressure during workout?

afboy143

afboy143

Awards
Hello Everyone,
I've been recently diagnosed with very high cholesterol so recently I've been monitoring things with my heart to take care of all aspects. While I've cut out cholesterol almost completely except for lean meats (soy protein and soy milk vs whey and dairy, fat free cheese, ect), another aspect bothers me which is blood pressure.

While at rest, my BP is borderline high at 120/36 but during work out it gets up to around 136/66. Does anyone else have this happen to them? What type of pressure do I need to worry about?

Since I am borderline high on the BP, my doctor wants me to try cutting down on salts, fats, ect and increase exercise. I just don't want to pass out, have a stroke, ect during a work out.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hello Everyone,
I've been recently diagnosed with very high cholesterol so recently I've been monitoring things with my heart to take care of all aspects. While I've cut out cholesterol almost completely except for lean meats (soy protein and soy milk vs whey and dairy, fat free cheese, ect), another aspect bothers me which is blood pressure.

While at rest, my BP is borderline high at 120/36 but during work out it gets up to around 136/66. Does anyone else have this happen to them? What type of pressure do I need to worry about?

Since I am borderline high on the BP, my doctor wants me to try cutting down on salts, fats, ect and increase exercise. I just don't want to pass out, have a stroke, ect during a work out.
for starters, dietary cholesterol has 0 effect on serum cholesterol levels. Secondly, the hdl/ldl ratio is meaningful even at high overall cholesterol, and there is no good evidence that high cholesterol without high triglycerides poses health risks.

Separately, I can't imagine how you even function at 120/36 without passing out. That is not borderline high by any means, as the systolic pressure would have to be way higher than that for it to be an issue. A high diastolic is a lot more worrisome, and it is totally normal for blood pressure to go up at work, driving, etc. Anywhere that there is activity and stress will cause it to go up some.