nicotine test help

Rock

Awards
I have a drug test coming up for my life insurance policy. They are going to retest me for nicotine. Anyone know how long nicotine is detectable? Also are there any supplements to help detoxify?

Jay Mc

Awards
I have a drug test coming up for my life insurance policy. They are going to retest me for nicotine. Anyone know how long nicotine is detectable? Also are there any supplements to help detoxify?
The half life of nicotine is 2 hours in the human body. The half life of its major metabolite is about 18 hours (this is probably what they test for). Both are cleared by the kidneys. I would tell you to quit smoking, but as I've learned myself thats impossible.

J

cctez

Board Supporter
Awards
I had my life insurance changed about a year ago and I had a good discussion with the nurse who came to do my exam. I am a non-smoker/non-drinker and in great shape so I wasn't concerned about a thing. But, I asked him alot of questions about the process and the tests that would be done on my blood, and urine.

I asked for a copy of the report and they did tons of tests. Nicotine was one of them. The nurse told me that if any of the tests appeared manipulated, then they could request hair, which I guess holds a longer record of your health? I guess I am probably not helping too much, but if you take something to try and mask the nicotine, based on what I was told it might send off warning signals and the underwriter may request hair.

I have never been a smoker, but I guess it is impossible to quit for a few weeks? Maybe then the nicotine will be flushed out of your system.

cctez

Board Supporter
Awards
The half life of nicotine is 2 hours in the human body. The half life of its major metabolite is about 18 hours (this is probably what they test for). Both are cleared by the kidneys. I would tell you to quit smoking, but as I've learned myself thats impossible.

J
I thought that I was told that nicotine was detectable for at least 2 weeks?

Rock

Awards
So does that mean that the detection period is about 18 hours? In my brief research I came up with anywhere from 1-10 days. But most websites I visited were selling detoxification packages so I assumed they were exaggerating a bit.

Quitting is tough. I chew occassionaly and I could not deny the urge last night even though I knew this test was coming up. I failed the first one two years ago and if I fail again I will definitly be in the doghouse with the wife.

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think if they request hair all they do is sniff it and see if it stanks. :D

dd

cctez

Board Supporter
Awards
So does that mean that the detection period is about 18 hours? In my brief research I came up with anywhere from 1-10 days. But most websites I visited were selling detoxification packages so I assumed they were exaggerating a bit.

Quitting is tough. I chew occassionaly and I could not deny the urge last night even though I knew this test was coming up. I failed the first one two years ago and if I fail again I will definitly be in the doghouse with the wife.
I think that you are correct Rock, the nurse who took my blood said it was about 2 weeks for nicotine detection. I see no reason why he would lie, since he had nothing to gain by doing so. I did a couple quick searches too, and I saw ranges between 1-10 days for nicotine detection. It seems like there are tons of companies out there selling nicotine test/detox kits. Looks like they are selling all kinds of other detox kits and I would personally be suprised if they were all effective, which is why I think that they might be a scam.

I got my policy through American General, and because I travel so much, they let me set the date and time when I had the exam. They even came to my house. Maybe you could postposn your exam and go cold turkey for a couple weeks?

Lonny

Awards
I guess telling them that you chew nicotine gum for its anorectic effect while cutting would not be a viable option?

Rock

Awards
Anyone know of anything I can take to speed up the detoxification process?

weis

Awards
i have a blood test for life ins coming up too...i quit smoking a month ago, but am on the gum...ill stop the gum a week before the test, but im worried about m1t. how long does m1t stay detectable in the system?

Rock

Awards
I decided to postpone my bloodtest until 2 weeks after my last chew to be safe. I also think I am going to hold off on my M-Dien and 1 Test cycle until after my test. Thanks for everyone's input